Author Topic: "New Research Reveals That Lonely People Process the World Differently"  (Read 710 times)

Dr. Richard Grossman

• http://www.voicelessness.com
Hi everybody,

Important research is finally beginning to emerge!  This research helps explain why grouping large psychiatric populations together and simply applying a "scientific" therapeutic technique only works for a relatively small percentage of people.

New Research Reveals That Lonely People Process the World Differently

https://scitechdaily.com/new-research-reveals-that-lonely-people-process-the-world-differently/

The research was done by USC professor Elisa Baek, Ph.D. and her team.

Some quotes from the article:

"This finding is significant because it reveals that neural similarity, which refers to how similar the brain activity patterns of different individuals are, is linked to a shared understanding of the world. This shared understanding is important for establishing social connections. People who suffer from loneliness are not only less similar to society’s norm of processing the world, but each lonely person differs in unique ways, as well. That uniqueness may further impact the feelings of isolation and lacking social connections."

"Baek said, 'It was surprising to find that lonely people were even less similar to each other.” The fact that they don’t find commonality with lonely or nonlonely people makes achieving social connection even more difficult for them. The ‘Anna Karenina principle’ is a fitting description of lonely people, as they experience loneliness in an idiosyncratic way, not in a universally relatable way,'she added."  (Tolstoy's Anna Karenina principle: “Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” )

"Comparing the brain imaging data between the two groups, the researchers discovered that lonelier individuals exhibited more dissimilar and idiosyncratic brain processing patterns than their non-lonely counterparts.

"This finding is significant because it reveals that neural similarity, which refers to how similar the brain activity patterns of different individuals are, is linked to a shared understanding of the world. This shared understanding is important for establishing social connections. People who suffer from loneliness are not only less similar to society’s norm of processing the world, but each lonely person differs in unique ways, as well. That uniqueness may further impact the feelings of isolation and lacking social connections."

"Baek said, 'It was surprising to find that lonely people were even less similar to each other.' The fact that they don’t find commonality with lonely or nonlonely people makes achieving social connection even more difficult for them."

“The ‘Anna Karenina principle’ is a fitting description of lonely people, as they experience loneliness in an idiosyncratic way, not in a universally relatable way,” she added.

This is why I had  to "connect" to each person in my practice in a different, unique way, including seeing one patient ("The Mathematician and the Teddy Bear" author, now happily married and traveling the world) 4 times per week.

Richard

P.S.  It is ironic, given my book, that it is Russian literature that is used/quoted!

lighter

Re: "New Research Reveals That Lonely People Process the World Differently"
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 01:31:32 PM »
That sure makes sense, Doc.

A lot.

Thanks for sharing.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 04:14:10 PM »
Great story that finally backs your philosophy of therapy, Doc G! Validation (not that you need it for anyone who knows you...)

I wonder how much American life might change if, like an annual physical, we all had insightful, sensitive annual interviews to build medical and patient awareness about present or future suffering that would ordinarily just be handled with pills or pats on the head....

Thanks and hugs,
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

Dr. Richard Grossman

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 04:47:10 PM »
Thanks, Lighter and Hops!  I hope that, in the future, therapists will not “work” by fitting people into “boxes” and then applying generic techniques.  But this is still how therapists get “degrees,” professors move up in the academic world and therapy practices get built (“I do this technique and that technique…”).  As I’ve written, I could never have “practiced” this way, and a large part of the meaning and purpose in my life comes from the very significant differences I’ve made in my patients’ lives.  Luckily, my long-term patients have told me this many times...

As always,

Richard

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2023, 02:34:54 AM »
I'm amazed there are machines that can see people's brainwaves!  That sort of technology always amazes me.  I really identify with that notion of seeing/experiencing the world differently.  I wonder if it affects younger people more now because of the way society has changed?  I feel there is more pressure now to have shared experiences and opinions and that people can be rejected for not agreeing on certain things with the rest of the group (I'm thinking of social media in particular here, and the way in which a remark online can escalate into something much bigger than it was meant to).  I'd love to know if it's the same in older people, or if elder loneliness is more to do with having fewer people around, or losing people?  It's such an interesting topic, I'm glad research is being done (although, yep, they should have all just listened to Dr G in the first place :) ).  I know something that has definitely contributed to my feelings of loneliness is that I don't respond to comments/reassurances/platitudes/advice/medication etc etc in the way that I'm 'supposed' to.  Things often have the opposite effect on me, and then it's like I'm doing it wrong.  So I think anything that highlights we all do things differently (and some things the same!) can only be a good thing.

Hopalong

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 08:19:14 PM »
((((Doc G)))) --
How are you doing?

I just spent a good while with my Jewish neighbor and friend, who has family in Israel.

Been rent all day, thinking about how it might feel to anyone with connections to the horror.

Sending you love and comfort,
Hops

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 07:05:13 AM »
Echoing Hopsie, Dr G.  I wish so much that humans were incapble of inflicting so much hurt and pain on one another.  There's so much love in some places and so much hate in others.  I wish that wasn't the case.

Dr. Richard Grossman

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2023, 10:40:21 PM »
Hi Hops and Tupp,

Thank you so much for your thoughts!  Horrifying situation.  Both of my brother’s sons have been called up, but they have not entered the battle yet.  Luckily his home is not in range of the Gaza rockets.  But if Hezbollah gets involved, his home is in range of their missiles and near a major Israeli power plant.  We’ll see what happens next…every day is so difficult!

As always,

Richard

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2023, 02:05:28 AM »
I can't even imagine the worry, Dr G, I hope very much the situation doesn't worsen.  I wish so much people put this much effort into helpin one another instead.  I hope your nephews don't have to enter in to it.  Thinking of you and your loved ones x

Hopalong

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2023, 02:56:06 PM »
My god, and with a certain buffoon praising Hezbollah.
The world is mad, or it's our generation's turn to witness it, if not be destroyed by it.

Many thoughts are with you, your nephews, and all who are in danger. Especially children. Which means, ultimately, all of us.

Hope you can breathe in much support, knowing people care very much about you and yours, even here in the ether.

love and comfort,
Hops