Author Topic: Spin found in over half of clinical trial abstracts published in top psychiatry  (Read 1386 times)

Dr. Richard Grossman

• http://www.voicelessness.com
Hi everybody,

Sadly, this study does not surprise me.  The quest to make therapy a technique-based science and provide “doctor/scientist” status to its practitioners has been a very powerful force—often one that distorts the far more subtle and complicated truth about effective psychotherapy.  And patients, including myself (as I wrote about in my book), have suffered as a result. 

'Spin' found in over half of clinical trial abstracts published in top psychiatry journals
by British Medical Journal

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-08-clinical-trial-abstracts-published-psychiatry.html

Richard

Meh

Weird. I've not really read Psychiatry trials only articles which are even less scientific.

lighter

I'm not surprised at this, Doc.

Hmmm...
my 3rd T would be so proud I finally FINALLY finally stopped being surprised/gobsmacked/thrown off balance by the harmful things people do over and over again.

Lighter

Twoapenny

• Becoming
This is so disturbing and I wish that people would just be more honest and open, and present actual facts and then leave people to make their own minds up.

When my son was younger there were a lot of 'autism' cures being touted, many of which I believe have now been proved to be, at best, ineffective and, at worst, very dangerous.  But in amongst that were also some treatments and therapies that can be helpful for some people and I said at the time it would be so helpful to have a database that just presented stats - eg, 1,000 autistic children were tested for gluten and dairy allergies - 37 were found to have them, compared to 14 in the non-autistic population (I'm just making up numbers for the sake of example but the point I was trying to make was it would be helpful to see if certain things were worth investigating further, or if stats showed that there wasn't much difference either way).  I'd love to see more evidence collated about 'complementary' therapies; 1,000 people with migraines tried osteopathy, 120 found it helped.  It would just help you focus on what to look at, and the same would be so helpful with therapy - people using the services writing the reports, rather than the people administering them!  Would be so useful to see, "1,000 with childhood trauma tried CBT, 329 found it helpful".  It just gives you some context to work from.

Very frustrating for you, Dr G, trying to get your good work out there and having to deal with that sort of 'spin' being published! xx

Dr. Richard Grossman

Hi Tupp,

The need for status plays such a big role in human behavior—and truth suffers as a result.  In many of the articles, if you look at the small details, you can actually get a clear picture re: efficacy—assuming you can trust that the data has not been altered in order to get the journal article published in order to increase the status of the authors.  I’m with you—I’d like to see the data without the spin, particularly concerning psychotherapy results.  As I’ve written, reports from the patient side of the room are very much missing.

“Very frustrating for you, Dr G, trying to get your good work out there and having to deal with that sort of 'spin' being published!”

Luckily, for me, my goal/need was to make a significant difference in a small number of people’s lives.  And I know this has happened because I hear about it frequently from my patients and ex-patients.  For me personally--and as you know from my book--this is so much more important than status...

Richard

Hopalong

Doc G,
You sure have made a significant difference in MY life.
In honesty, I don't know that I'd even be here if you hadn't had the inspiration to start a forum for people who grew up with narcissistic influences and harm.

I have healed so much from wisdom and learning and genuine friendships here, due to your compassionate mitzvah.

Gratefully,
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

Twoapenny

• Becoming
Doc G,
You sure have made a significant difference in MY life.
In honesty, I don't know that I'd even be here if you hadn't had the inspiration to start a forum for people who grew up with narcissistic influences and harm.

I have healed so much from wisdom and learning and genuine friendships here, due to your compassionate mitzvah.

Gratefully,
Hops

Yes, everything Hops said goes for me as well!  I'm glad that your ambition was to help a small number of people in a big way, Dr G.  You have certainly helped me more than I can put into words, and probably more than I even realise.  We need lots of people wanting to make a big change for a few people, don't we, rather than a few people wanting to make small changes for everybody (that often reflect their own needs more than everyone else's).  Thank you, Dr G! xx

Dr. Richard Grossman

Hi Hops and Tupp,

Thank you so much!  I so appreciate your letting me know.  Just as important, both of you and other posters on this message board have also made a significant difference in the lives of others.  I hope you know this and can take pride and satisfaction from it.  We are lucky to have you as “therapists!”

Richard