Author Topic: Conversations  (Read 4869 times)

Twoapenny

• Becoming
Re: Conversations
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2020, 04:11:11 AM »
I like this topic...feels as though connecting/conversations are really about everything, right now, with so much activity suspended.

I'm sometimes thinking of social connection these days as like preventive medicine or exercise. I don't enjoy it all the time, but sense it's an essential protection against future depression. I am making myself reach out, think of somebody who might enjoy the phone, or I'm trying to encourage myself to schedule a 30-minute Zoom. I am concerned about winter isolation so want to maximize whatever connections I have now so we might stay in contact (even Zoom) during winter, to push back against loneliness then. I figure for every less-than-thrilling chat I have now, the habit of connecting when I can might be some insurance against spinning down when the cold moves in. So I'm heading to other people's back yards too, those who have space for 8-foot visits and have said they'd enjoy it. I'll soak up the sight of friendly faces, which will matter more, ultimately, than anything we say, I figure. That's the plan, anyway.

The Zoom meeting that really makes a solid emotional difference to me is my Covenant Group. We really know each other by now pretty well, and we also rotate leading the meeting with different topics. Nothing formal, but a few "questions to ponder" the leader emails beforehand. Anybody can veer the comments in any direction they want, and we use a taking-turns structure so everyone knows they'll be really listened to at some point. It eases the mind and heart, I find.

I led a topic I called "Time Shifts" last time, and it went all over the place but people seemed to really feel good about it. The thing I notice in that group about Zoom is something I wrote up for the church newsletter that surprised me. The tech creates a new view of the participants I've found myself enjoying at a different level. When we meet ftf, we're basically across a room or side by side, and though I'd never want it to be permanent, in this weird time, Zoom also has a silver lining I can notice. Each time an individual speaks, and because they're fairly close to the camera, I find I'm savoring the expressions (or micro-expressions) on their faces close up, as I've never really been able to see before. Noticing how the look in their eyes warms or changes as they speak. Picking up on backgrounds in their homes, a painting or color or plant -- gives me a sense of another unique layer of personality. Or cat! A couple are cat people and every now and then a cat just sticks its butt in the picture or its tail drapes through the view. Funny and comforting. (My dog invariably winds up jamming her nose under my chin to be sure she gets a turn.)

"Time Shifts" became a winding commentary about quarantine feelings (kind of a suspension), age, nature/seasons, cosmic differences, the perspective of sleeping without alarm clocks, noticing, noticing. I think "noticing" was really the theme. But talking about time, even as it seems scary right now, with them was comforting. We also considered moments in our lives when time seemed to race or slow, and why. I enjoyed it. Mainly because of seeing them, and how they all keep showing up. We're going to do a caaaaarefully socially-distanced reunion, maybe, later this summer.

I have one other "group conversation" Zoom that meets twice a month, a co-ed secular discussion group that's evolving into just a social kind of time. Somebody hosts it and there's a take-turns time at the beginning where people check in with what's been going on. (Last time a painful moment was when one couple explained they lost their son 10 days ago...but it was so good they were there, shattered but warm and present.) They're all very smart, good hearted people, and I felt grateful. Both of these groups have about eight members, which seems to be a decent size for sharing for about an hour and a half or sometimes two. (I left a little early.)

Anyhoo, that's my input on Coversations at the mo'.

hugs
Hops

That was interesting to read, Hopsie, and particularly for me as I often feel that social interactions make me feel more lonely and isolated.  I've found not doing groups, interactions, general chit chat on the bus and so on much better for my mental health.  There are people I do love to chat to - on here, for instance, and a small number of friends who I enjoy the connection with - what we actually talk about isn't important.  But I do find a lot of social interaction quite stressful.  I think for me the connection is really important.  Other than here, I don't feel I've found a group that I connect with in the same way, whether face to face or online.  I love the sound of your discussion about time.  Would you call that metaphysical?  I don't know if it's the right word but it popped into my head.  I think that's what I miss with people.  A lot of people I know want often want to moan rather than talk.  I think that's why I find it stressful.  I'm happy to listen to someone if they need to offload but only if it's someone I really care about, I think?  I just don't think I'm that interested in other people's problems unless they really mean a lot to me?  Maybe that's what I need to work on when we get back to mingling again; finding people I can have conversations with that perhaps aren't about their own personal situations all the time?  Mmmm.  That's something to ponder.  I need a T shirt that says, "DON'T TELL ME, I'M NOT INTERESTED!"  lol xx

Hopalong

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2020, 06:59:11 AM »
I think you've put your finger on it, Tupp.
The reason those two Zoom groups are so positively distracting for me is that they're not just "friend groups" (where folks would naturally talk about personal lives and problems, often at length). They are structured groups with intentional topics, which allows people to focus on the pleasure of discussion and thinking for its own sake. But there's some personal news time built in, too.

The co-ed group has abandoned structured topics for now and it is still interesting, but I think I actually enjoy the topic discussions more, since I haven't spent enough social time with most of those people to follow everything quite as well. I think the Covenant Group has the best structure of all, because its format gives you the best of both. I call it "the churchiest part of church" is the sense not of religion, but of feeling love and feeling loved during it. Here's how a Covenant Group meeting goes:

--Opening Words/Chalice Lighting (short reading that is germane to gathering...kind of acknowledging "here we are together again and this has meaning")
--Check-Ins (each person gets up to 5 minutes uninterrupted) to give an overview of how they are doing in the present and for the last two weeks). Because of these, we stay on top of what's happening personally for each other.
--Topic Discussion (whoever's leading explains the topic, and repeats 2-4 "questions to ponder" that generally were emailed a few days before. Then we just speak, uninterrupted due to the "Talking Stick". You can focus on any or all of the questions to say whatever comes to mind, or you can forgo that and just free-associate in any way you'd like about the topic). We don't strictly track time amounts but over time, I've noticed people develop a rhythm and share time quite well, with everyone having time to speak and nobody left out.
--Closing Words (another reading to wind up the structured part). Blow out candle. (The leader does a candle for everybody. These days, I just hold up the big fat candle we've always used when gathering at my house. And we raise hands instead of passing a "talking object/stick.")

When I lead I invariably subject everyone to a nice long poem and they put up with that very kindly. Sometimes people just Google quotations on a topic and read them to get us started; those are good too. Or something else. It's fun to lead because you are really creating a "thinking experience" to share--and no single person dominates discussion and people don't get interrupted. And the way different people approach it is fascinating.

I tried a Zoom-with-a-friend again yesterday and it was a surprisingly intimate conversation. This woman (who's also in my Covenant Group) shared a lot of very personal stuff, and I found I did too. Oddly, rather than M, I wound up talking most about my mother, as she had been discussing hers, and we talked about N-ism and things like that in some depth. It was terrific. We talked for an hour and agreed we're going to do it again and for the same reason--we know winter is coming and feel we don't want to turn down any opportunity to be social, even on Zoom.

I wonder if some of the folks who occasionally call your son for a chat would try that with him?

hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2020, 09:11:37 AM »
I like the sounds of that structured group, Hopsie, I would definitely prefer that to personal chit chat.  We've just been over to a friend's for socially distanced coffee; it was lovely but I'm genuinely going to go and have a lie down because I feel exhausted and my head's banging.  A lot of it with me is anxiety (I have realised due to the lockdown silence meaning I can hone in on what's causing what).  I find I practise conversations in my head without realising I'm doing it before we go.  When we're there I worry about son; her son also has difficulties so I've one eye on him as well, is he alright with us there, is my son coping alright with him being around, do I need to interact, should I leave them alone and so on.  I worry about whether we're overstaying our welcome as well and I think that's partly the autism in me; I wish people would be very direct but most people are polite and wouldn't dream of telling you to bugger off once they've had enough.  I feel much more comfortable if I'm with someone who i know will say, "yep, great to see you but you need to leave by 2 because I've got to do x".  So a lot of it with me is anxiety and I just need to work on that, I think.

Son has announced he doesn't want to chat to people anymore because he's too busy lol, so I've sort of left that side of things alone now.  I do think I'll need to make an effort to get out more (once we all can) to groups where we can interact with regards to interests and topics rather than just  chatting.  Was the co-ed group set up for the lockdown or did you all meet for that anyway? xx

Hopalong

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2020, 10:45:30 AM »
I get it, Tupp.
What impresses me so much is how well you know yourself.
Maybe you could forestall anxiety over when to leave by deciding before
you arrive? Or make another rule for yourself--you'll be the second person to leave. That way over-staying isn't possible.

The co-ed group wasn't formed for the lockdown; I'd been doing it monthly for quite a while. It's secular, but the couple who formed it were refugees from my UU church. They just collected some other interesting people they knew from local politics or their condo building or wherever, and a few members brought along others too.

I wonder if something like Meetup is still functioning and if that would be a good place to find good Zoom groups for conversation. At one point I joined my local Skeptics Meetup, and they were a small group I have a feeling you'd really like.

hugs
Hops

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2020, 03:06:18 PM »
I get it, Tupp.
What impresses me so much is how well you know yourself.
Maybe you could forestall anxiety over when to leave by deciding before
you arrive? Or make another rule for yourself--you'll be the second person to leave. That way over-staying isn't possible.

The co-ed group wasn't formed for the lockdown; I'd been doing it monthly for quite a while. It's secular, but the couple who formed it were refugees from my UU church. They just collected some other interesting people they knew from local politics or their condo building or wherever, and a few members brought along others too.

I wonder if something like Meetup is still functioning and if that would be a good place to find good Zoom groups for conversation. At one point I joined my local Skeptics Meetup, and they were a small group I have a feeling you'd really like.

hugs
Hops

Thanks, Hops.  I hadn't heard of MeetUp; I'll have a look in to that.   Yes, I think I need to come up with some strategies for managing anxiety and deciding in advance when to go is one of them.  The other things was that I drank two cups of coffee when I was there; again, just because that was what she was making and I didn't like to ask for decaff.  That can make me a bit jittery so I need to take some with me, I think, just in case.

The other thing that I've been thinking about this afternoon is just friendships in general.  I've been so hurt by so many people over the years that it's really put me off investing time and effort into getting to know people and spending time with them.  But you do have to, particularly if you want to get past the polite, getting to know you chit chat (which I don't like).  The lady I saw today is someone I've chatted with a number of times but it's usually about the kids and day to day stuff.  Today she told me some of her personal history and it was so interesting, now I really want to see her again to learn more about that.  So I think I need to get my head to a place where I can put in some time and not be focused on whether or not it becomes a friendship.  Maybe I will meet someone for coffee numerous times before deciding it's not worth it (or them deciding that about me) and I just need to accept that's the way it is.  I also feel I'm quite judgemental in the sense that I see any sign of dysfunction it makes me run.  But we've all got our baggage and hang ups and I think I need to trust in my own judgement more to be able to distinguish between run of the mill, having a bad day, it's all a bit much behaviour and real abusive, very messed up stuff.  I think I'm so scared of getting hurt again it's really made me put up barriers so if I want to get a better group of people around me in the real world I am going to have to put it all into perspective a bit, I think, and accept that there are risks but that they'll be small and it won't be the end of the world if something doesn't work out xx

Hopalong

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2020, 08:53:15 PM »
Bravo, Tupp.

I think if you just approach yourself with the same pragmatic, kind advice you always offer here...you'll do just fine.

Pretend you're advising a very nice person, quirks and all, who's asking for ideas on how to cope with her special lineup of needs and hopes. (They just happen to coincide with yours!) Talk to yourself as kindly and realistically as you talk to people here.

Be your own friend and worry less about judging -- yourself or the new people you meet. Maybe try to catch those judgey impulses (which are only about protecting yourself, and you needed them for a while in your life) and whack 'em with a mental flyswatter so they remain bug-splat-sized. An annoyance but not big enough to prevent your enjoying yourself.

I think this will be like all those other moments of true growth that have happened for you. One day something's really hard, you push at it reasonably and kindly, and then one day the very same situation yields, drops its tension, and there you are...calm, capable of responding proportionately and taking healthy care of yourself.

That can work just as well in a public place, in a situation where you're meeting people and figuring out a comfortable way to relax even with the early more surface conversations, and just letting yourself be comfortable. No goal, no big agenda, just being present and being your most relaxed self.

Worst that could happen? An axe murderer chats you up over decaf. More likely the worse thing you'd endure? A little boredom, maybe. But if you just LIGHTLY carry openness to the possibility of good things happening, eventually they always do.

I hope that's good advice. Strain through a good sieve...

Hugs and courage,
Hops

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2020, 04:49:37 AM »
I'm going to jump back over to my 2020 thread so's not to overwhelm G's conversations with my naval gazing and relationship woes.  But essentially, G, yes, good to make the effort with conversations and keep pushing through, I think :) xx

Meh

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2020, 12:14:38 AM »
I will eventually have time to come read here and catch up on people's lives.