Author Topic: NLP?  (Read 4737 times)

Anastasia

NLP?
« on: January 31, 2004, 09:20:23 AM »
Neurolinguistic Programming (not sure what the P stands for but guess that it is Programming)--anyone know about it?  I hear it is fantastic, and was wondering if it would be worth the time to learn about if it?  Would this help us cope with those Narcissists around us we are stuck with?  I don't know much about NLP, as you can tell, so speak up those of you with training in the subject, please.  Thanks!!!

Anastasia

just started living

NLP
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 02:57:38 PM »
Don't know whether it will help in healing. I guess it's very interesting, but I think personally I would explore rather about feelings than behaviour first.

Maybe it's for those healed already somehow.

I mean, I believe the behavior problems came after the feeling problems in our lives.

And I think many people regard NLP just as a list of tricks for manipulating. But it' s not that bad though.

Love

cindy

NLP?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 04:26:37 PM »
I looked into it a little when a bully neighbor got really involved.  From what I read, it's manipulative.  In my book, we all manipulate to some extent, like do impression management, but from what I read, this crossed the line.

I was disgusted with the neighbor, though, and it probably colored my assessment.

rosencrantz

NLP?
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2004, 04:17:48 AM »
NLP is very popular here in the UK.

But it'a bit like the elephant and the blind men - if you don't see the whole then you can misperceive what it's about.

I'd take a guess that the 'manipulation' you speak of is this kind of thing :

If you mirror what someone else is doing then you will make them feel good about you.

Mirroring is shifting your body language to mimic the other person.  

Many of us do this unconsciouly.

How this might be manipulative : mirror someone else to 'make' them buy something you are selling whilst you are being totally insincere and just trying to con them.

How this can to helpful to an ACON : if you recognise when you are mirroring the damaging person, you can learn to stop doing it.  This means you won't be drawn into the damaging part of the relationship, you won't be so easily 'sucked in'.    Use your body language to demonstrate distance and indifference - you will then feel indifferent and distant.  Eureka!

NLP is, at its simplest...

1.  a way of understanding how our emotions work.  Knowing how emotions and thoughts get linked together, enables you to change them.  It can look a bit like 'magic' and is very entertaining - but at the same time it does have a powerful effect.  It is very helpful with phobias and post traumatic stress.

2.  a way of enabling us to communicate better with other people eg if you are a 'hearing' person you will believe that the best way to communiate is to talk.  But if you are trying to communicate with a visual person, the best way to communicate is to write it down for them.  NLP can give you clues about whether someone is visual (I see what you mean), auditory (I hear you), kinesthetic (feeling) or (I've forgotten the name of the last one - it's more unusual and is to do with eating or food).

Hope that helps.
R
"No matter how enmeshed a commander becomes in the elaboration of his own
thoughts, it is sometimes necessary to take the enemy into account" Sir Winston Churchill

Anastasia

NLP?
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2004, 09:54:20 AM »
Thanks, Rosencrantz, for the thumbnail explanation.  Yes, it does interest me enough to investigate further.  Gracias!