Author Topic: 2019 Farm Life  (Read 37395 times)

lighter

Re: 2019 Farm Life
« Reply #210 on: August 14, 2019, 05:12:03 PM »
I don't quite understand, but that's OK.

I'm glad you feel good about whatever discussion you had with Buck over whatever it was you needed to talk about.

You deserve to feel at ease.  You deserve answers to questions you feel are important to your life.

You're also fine just as you are.  Without stating everything about yourself, and clarifying it for Buck.   

Lighter

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #211 on: August 18, 2019, 01:29:30 AM »
Seems as though I've been making a total muddle, trying to talk about things lately. I'm not getting my point (and what point would that be A?) across clearly. Time to let things settle some more until I know what I'm trying to say, I guess.

I did talk to Buck; and all is well there. Somehow he can understand my muddle and restate it back to me simpler and clearly getting my meaning. The anxiety over all that whole question thing and why I felt I needed to know... this all seems like a holdover from my past experience but I can't pinpoint what it was exactly. All I know is having the conversation - sans specifics - completely relaxed me around the topic and so I'm moving on, feeling better about my understanding of boundaries and what I can and can't ask.

I think getting to know people is hard work, Skep.  There's all the back and forth, sharing bits, how do they react, how do you react, when should you say, do you need to, is x a deal breaker for you, is y a deal breaker for them.  Phew!  It's a wonder any of us ever get close to anyone else!  It sounds like you and Buck are making good progress.  It's good, in one of those weird ways, that you've both had bad experiences that have had a lasting effect - it just means you can 'get' where the other one is coming from and understand it.  I think it's so important to have someone who gets what you're saying without you having to spell every detail out, every time.  Really important.  I'm glad the two of you are getting to know one another.  It's nice that he's told people he can see a light at the end of the tunnel :)  And love letters!  Aw.  Best thing ever :) xx xx

sKePTiKal

« Reply #212 on: August 18, 2019, 09:24:25 AM »
Thanks Tupp, I should know by now, that communicating from within intense emotion isn't exactly "ideal conditions" for understanding. LOL. Sorry for the confusions, y'all.

What I see now, is that Buck & I are in the process of developing our own private language. I can recognize it, because Hol & I have one too. It seems to be a part of that shared intimacy & trust space and I dunno, if that's just peculiar to me or if other people experience it too. Seems the participants in my space do. So, for me to try communicating to you all from within that space... leaves a lot to be desired for you... since I skipped a lot; assumed you knew a lot more than was the case; and saw things through my eyes.

That space of intimacy is growing fast; this isn't "dating". This is deciding, each of us, that this is a relationship we want and are committed to. Full on green light - WITH the escape clause still intact for both of us. For the space of a year. Yeah, that's unusual. And I thought Mike was a fast situation, so it's not like I don't have some prior experience here. It's really pretty strange how quickly I can recognize another human who is very much compatible with me; or that I instantly develop a bond with. Buck takes the record, at within 6 hours. LOL, he said as much to me, too. Eating lunch on Saturday was his litmus test. He isn't comfortable eating with a lot of people. I forgot to even watch for that in myself; I do that too sometimes.

Yes, it's helpful that we already knew so much about each other. But there is also that vast body of small things, some very important, some not at all... that are being learned, sort of "out of order". We both seem to be able to do that without a lot of discomfort.

Now, re: his health and physical condition. While the surgeries are major and the infection is likely permanent, at this point (it can be controlled; maintained at a low level which doesn't impact people with healthy immune systems around him) - this guy can still go work 12-14 days doing hard manual labor. It's harder to get him to slow down & take it easy enough to give his body a chance to heal. So the "terminal" aspect of it HAS cropped up, but it's definitely not as big a deal as the docs scared him into believing. In that respect, we're all terminal, right? He fusses over the things that get in his way of being the best he can possibly be, physically; doing what he knows he could do... if all the medical stuff would get calibrated and finished up in a timely fashion - without people goofing up, not caring as much as he does, or unforeseen consequences of everything to date and catch-22s that keep him in limbo. He has way more strength & stamina than I do. To say nothing of patience with the constant delays and foul-ups.

So, it's not like he needs a nurse; and he sure doesn't need a mommy (phew!). I'm slowly but surely figuring it out that he needs a best friend to just always be looking out for him, as much as he's looking out for others. That's not to say, that he's a pushover and is easily taken advantage of, either. He's not; and he's not someone people should try do that to. They'll end up learning an important life lesson.

He does withdraw sometimes; which is something I empathize with. He withdraws to deal with anger; and the past. But if I give him that space... then he can talk about it. Which is something I don't think he's had a lot of in his life; someone to just listen and let him BE. And not try to change him or judge him or run away from him, shrieking in terror & accusation. He is a big teddy bear; not a scary monster. But even teddy bears get angry and hurt.

He's super funny, but never in a mean way - it's always gentle. And he oozes kindness for all things wounded that aren't able to protect themselves.

We're also starting to develop those daily rituals/routines even despite the distance; go figure. And it in no way is detracting from the romantic & passionate stuff of a brand-new connection either. So.... it's all good here. I can't believe how damn lucky I am; still kinda pinching myself.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 09:27:58 AM by sKePTiKal »
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #213 on: August 18, 2019, 09:40:48 AM »
I think allowing people to deal with their feelings and emotions in their own way is so important, Skep, rather than having that rule book of x situation requiring y solution.  Particularly as we get older - we all learn how we cope best with tough feelings and emotions and there's a lot to be said for processing, dealing with it and talking about it afterwards, rather than vomiting up every minute of every situation each time.  I would guess he's been dealing with a lot on his own for a long time?  It must be nice for him to have someone around who gets it and is happy/willing to let him deal with things in his own way and just come back when he's on an even keel again.

I'm glad his health problems are manageable.  We are all terminal, aren't we?  I sometimes wonder what we'd do differently if we knew our departure date :)  I suspect knowing it was imminent would make a lot of us change certain things around. xx

lighter

« Reply #214 on: August 18, 2019, 01:04:40 PM »
About listening....

DD17 and I are having some hiccups... normal stuff, but I'm shifting into implementing more boundaries, have to, and bc I'm learning more about DOING it.

This morning DD said she was having a difficult time discussing things with me... her FEELINGS, in partiular.  Earlier I told her how it FELT inside my chest, out to my shoulders, to be living with her recent foray into underage drinking, and circustances around that incident. 

I asked her what it felt like in her body.  Where was it?  She pointed to the same places I'd pointed to earlier, so not sure she actually felt it, but I'm teaching her to pay attention, and give it attention now.  To speak about it, by speaking about my feelings, where it shows up for me. 

She's right.  I didn't teach her how to do that.  We're both learning, and I guess I'm pointing out there's different ways of listening, repeating back what we've heard, so the speaker feels truly understood, or can clarify. 

In T, this has been an amazing tool with regard to communcation, understanding, and bringing clarity to both parties.  Only suggesting to consider how that might worth with Buck when he's talking about his "feelings."  Feelings aren't just in the mind.  They're in the body, and bringing attention to them can open doors we didn't know were there, IME.

I'm part excited for you, and aprehensive, Amber.  Not bc I don't trust, you, or Buck.  I think bc I don't understand the health issues.

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #215 on: August 18, 2019, 01:20:28 PM »
Right you are, Tupp.

He is very used to managing everything on his own after 17 years. And I'm used to managing everything for everyone else. LOL. That's MY problem to deal with... LOL. I don't have to chase him around making sure of anything.

Talk about putting a rapid halt to my "needing to be needed" reflex. :choke: Ego is gonna have to eat that one, for sure. And let it go. I keep telling myself it's good for me. Like broccoli and salads.

And realize what I've wanted all along, is for someone to come along and actually WANT to take care of me, sometimes, too. Like I could stop him......... LOL!!!

I keep thinking about your reciprocal relationship thread title, in light of all I'm learning about Buck. What I'm observing with Holly and Steve (she shares some of my same characteristics whether she'll admit it or not; we do discuss it). I have to confess I've spent a LOT of time on detours never even getting to that state of give & take. My good friends are few; my sorta good friends - who do make an effort when I let them (it's not their fault) - is a bigger group. I wouldn't say we're "intimate" but we're close enough we do understand each other pretty well. We do check in with each other. And then there's Buck; sorta in a class all by himself.

It's like he anticipates me realizing what I need and is right there; right then; when I realize it. I'm not used to anyone being that intuitive OR that ready to give, being there for me. All he needs from me, is to be able to take care of myself while he does other things he has to; wants to do. And not disappear on him. That's a tougher assignment some days than it sounds like; I still find my Self to be high maintenance for me.

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #216 on: August 18, 2019, 01:38:46 PM »
Right you are, Tupp.

He is very used to managing everything on his own after 17 years. And I'm used to managing everything for everyone else. LOL. That's MY problem to deal with... LOL. I don't have to chase him around making sure of anything.

Talk about putting a rapid halt to my "needing to be needed" reflex. :choke: Ego is gonna have to eat that one, for sure. And let it go. I keep telling myself it's good for me. Like broccoli and salads.

And realize what I've wanted all along, is for someone to come along and actually WANT to take care of me, sometimes, too. Like I could stop him......... LOL!!!

I keep thinking about your reciprocal relationship thread title, in light of all I'm learning about Buck. What I'm observing with Holly and Steve (she shares some of my same characteristics whether she'll admit it or not; we do discuss it). I have to confess I've spent a LOT of time on detours never even getting to that state of give & take. My good friends are few; my sorta good friends - who do make an effort when I let them (it's not their fault) - is a bigger group. I wouldn't say we're "intimate" but we're close enough we do understand each other pretty well. We do check in with each other. And then there's Buck; sorta in a class all by himself.

It's like he anticipates me realizing what I need and is right there; right then; when I realize it. I'm not used to anyone being that intuitive OR that ready to give, being there for me. All he needs from me, is to be able to take care of myself while he does other things he has to; wants to do. And not disappear on him. That's a tougher assignment some days than it sounds like; I still find my Self to be high maintenance for me.

He sounds like a good anchor for you, Skep :)  He can stop your kite from flying away too high when necessary :)

I think he does 'need' you, but he just needs you - he doesn't need you to do anything other than just be you.  And I think that can be hard to understand when we're used to having to be needed and running around after people all the time.  And I think it's where I'm at now in all of my relationships - I want people to want me just because they want me, not because I do them favours or I'm available when they've nothing else to do or because I'm a good listener or can give them advice.  Just wanting me whether I'm in a good mood or bad, busy or not busy, available or not available.  I think I feel that quite keenly now so it's great that you and Buck have that intuition and that connection, especially as you're not able to spend much time together at the minute.  I think it all sounds grand :) xx

sKePTiKal

« Reply #217 on: August 21, 2019, 11:06:13 AM »
Time flies when you've decided to share life together. Another layer deeper, more intimate - even if at a distance. I'll say one thing, he's not shy or closed off with me. He trusts me and I don't have to over-compensate proving myself.

And I'm DEEPLY appreciative of how much practice I've gotten communicating with you all, over the years; how much we've learned together. Those lessons and the topics we've covered over the years, helped me build the confidence in myself I needed to JUST BE THERE for him, in a way that people are when they have this kind of deep connection and shared experiences. That was what he needed to reclaim his own confidence, after this stressful few years of life-changes for him.

Still a big work in progress and I freak myself out sometimes being TOO sensitive or analytical, but all of those incidents have been tiny and all part of the "getting to know" process - not major transgressions, just accidentally stepping on toes. They seem huge to me, when they happen - because of past experience and I'm still self-conscious about it. He's barely noticed; LOL. He's really been overwhelmed with an "all at once" piling on of major life stressors... and doing the beating himself up part, because he just found what his limit for dealing with all that was. I was able to show him, that's not a functional way forward... and that he's not doing it all by himself anymore. I'm "there" when he needs me. WE (intentional use this time) are sorting it out together.

The back & forth; give & take of actual support for each other is still astounding me and magical. And the whole thing is getting very very (sometimes scary) real. I managed to run a background check on him last night while waiting for him to call. Nothing, nada, zip. Clean as a whistle. Just for insurance and to shut up that part of my brain that worries over what I haven't done and wants to tell me I'm a blind, idiotic fool and should be trying to slow this down. What a party-pooper!

This heatwave - we're promised - will finally be over on Friday. The Holly Hut is stuck in bureaucratic processes - waiting on permits, prerequisite to obtaining the building permit, signing the contract, making the deposit, and finalizing the construction plan. Only a few things have been getting actually done around here - I've had my legal/financial hat for awhile. I'll put my business hat on one day this week... and then I'm ready to get back at it this weekend.

Meh

« Reply #218 on: August 21, 2019, 02:59:55 PM »
Agreed the board is probably helpful in ways we don't expect.

sKePTiKal

« Reply #219 on: August 25, 2019, 08:10:38 AM »
Thanks friends. I think you just pulled me back from the ledge of making an error I've made more than once. It's likely attributable to my ability to connect and see the possibilities, very quickly.

"narration"
"Keep your head where your feet are."

And yeah, the project mgmt mindset runs with all that raw material, feeding it into creativity that begins weaving the story... trolling for the emotional energy to "make it so". That almost always inevitably runs into reality at some point, which is obviously DIFFERENT because it wasn't something I created in my over-active mind. And yeah - at that point, sometimes resentments begin to form.

Even Tupps' image of the discussion of differentials got through my foggy cloud. Like a strong beam of sunlight.

I needed that dose of "wake up" ladies. Thanks.

All is still well with Buck and I don't see any major pitfalls in the next 10 months that will come up as dealbreakers. If I can keep this tendency to write the script tamped down. He's pretty good at setting me straight and pulling me out of the clouds too. Maintaining his own boundaries and even looking out for mine when I get carried away.

Breathing... regrouping... centering.

Hopalong

« Reply #220 on: August 26, 2019, 01:53:01 AM »
Bravo, Amber. You sound calmer. Bravoooooo.

I was thinking back to Mama Tiger and realized that one thing I work on perpetually with M is that in his zeal to be a good Protector, he inadvertently irritates the heck out of me at times. I know the intention is kind, but it simultaneously is just a throwback to his intimidating grandmother's insistence that he always be 'strong and formal' (Spanish). He internalized it too much and with a woman, it comes out in kind of frantic courtesies, especially when we're out.

One day my ass will hit the sidewalk when he's suddenly jamming a chair under me. I've just managed my own body for too long now to revert to delicate porcelain positioning in order to make room for his hyper-gentlemanly reflexive leaping for door handles, hand at back gratuitous steering, his nearly stumbling around to figure out who's in charge of the walking pace, on and ON.... He needs to pay attention to putting his OWN feet down one at a time and stop being so dang vigilant about mine! We eventually find our pace but I can rarely hold hands with him, it's a spastic thing we're so out of sync it's funny. (But a couple pals have told me we're "adorable" together, snicker...)

Silly problem and not a big one, but that's how overprotectiveness can backfire. Irritating to deeply independent souls such as meself.

Hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

sKePTiKal

« Reply #221 on: August 26, 2019, 06:44:31 AM »
LOL. It was a close call Hops. I was about to start trampling boundaries willy-nilly; including my own.
Couple deeper things associated; maybe explaining my susceptibility.

That's how I become aware of just how intense my need is, for that level of connection, despite the really good "stiff upper lip" acting job sans a man in the picture. (Lots of practice there.) Yeah, that's a mess I need to organize better.

The other thing is the toll having Hol & Steve here - and the 2 dogs, 3 kittens, etc - the toll this takes on me and the absolute control I need (still) over my solitude and how I spend that time; and processing peacefully. Bless 'em, they're delightful and helpful - but I honestly don't need the "herding" of me in any particular direction that Hol is given to.

I'll be begging contractor to give me a start date on the Hut construction today, I think. LOL. I need my own space THAT much. So far it hasn't gotten to irritation or resentment; and there is sensitivity to "how mom likes things"... this is pretty much the best this kind of situation can be in reality; I just need to have my own space. So much so, that I had a brilliant idea for our day-dreaming about a week at the beach a couple months from now. Instead of sharing a house, I'll rent 2 small cottages. Instant privacy!! Even if Buck can't make it that week, I think I will benefit from that "downtime".

Hopalong

« Reply #222 on: August 26, 2019, 11:40:57 AM »
Oh yes, beach.
And take your art supplies!

Sometimes when I'm swamped with need I can get away with asking myself:
Is this a need or a want? And having a very uncomfortable thought: Just because my feeling is THIS BIG doesn't mean it's a need, rather than a VERY BIG WANT. Hmmmmm. In a way, liberating it to be a want was better. Making it a need inside made me feel frantic without it. A huge want, fulfilled or not, sparks creativity.

To my disappointment (for many years) the intensity of my craving for love and a mate had nothing to do with its resolution. That seemed like a random bit o' luck (except that I had helped by putting myself "out there" again).

And, being open to the possibility of good things happening.

Buck is a good thing for you.
You are a good thing for Buck.

You won't break it.

Big hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

sKePTiKal

« Reply #223 on: August 26, 2019, 02:34:49 PM »
Well, you are right Hops.

I explained what I'd done to myself - talking myself into fantasyland - this morning. And he's taking it all in stride, laughing about it, no big deal. But I think I also detect a bit of being pleased that I was so motivated too. LOL. Flattered even.

I keep telling him he's cute, and he thinks I need a new optometrist. He can think of lots of words to describe himself, but "cute" ain't one of them! LOL. I told him I'd save it for special occasions.

He just rolls with the crazy stuff I go through. There are no - count 'em zip - repercussions, interrogations or recriminations and he just keeps on being sweetness and laughing at the strange stuff humans put themselves through.

I think I'm going to relax now.

sKePTiKal

« Reply #224 on: August 29, 2019, 09:29:34 AM »
I am relaxing now. Buck is going through some crazy times, but I'm minding my boundaries pretty well and he's pointing out ones he maintains ahead of time. That's working out pretty good; lets me make my suggestions about how to make things better; what I see; without that "I expect you to follow my advice and make it so" control crap.

Mentally, I seem to be in a pretty radical idea-space. Old "rules" which are no longer relevant or applicable are getting chucked into the trash; I'm making up new ones on a daily basis as we go along - in all my relationships. Emotionally, some deep stuff has been stirred up - on the sub and un conscious level. I'm just watching that because it's all fuzzy and vague; no idea what it is so no point in worrying about it. Just paying attention to see if anything useful shows up.