Author Topic: Anything  (Read 313230 times)

Garbanzo

Re: Anything
« Reply #1845 on: April 04, 2020, 04:21:17 PM »
Today I am feeling massively fed up with myself and with bureaucracy. I don't think I have the interest to write a bunch of psychobabble here about it though it starts to seem like self absorbed nonsense at times. I definitely feel like I've taken two steps forward and five steps back. Perhaps I will think about it later when I have the time.

Hopalong

« Reply #1846 on: April 04, 2020, 09:45:25 PM »
Aaaack.
Sounds like school stuff, and requirements stuff, G.

Hope you can sort all this out.

Vent any time!

hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

Garbanzo

« Reply #1847 on: June 13, 2020, 02:31:34 AM »
Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.

Anais Nin

Because why not.

Hopalong

« Reply #1848 on: June 13, 2020, 10:42:49 AM »
(((((G))))))

Can you talk more about how you're feeling?

Gently,
Hops

Garbanzo

« Reply #1849 on: June 14, 2020, 02:53:17 AM »
I'm fine Hops. Mostly tired. Reading too many dark texts based on requirements. That is mainly it. Plus personal things I'd rather just simmer in annoyance with.

Hopalong

« Reply #1850 on: June 14, 2020, 01:03:18 PM »
Got it.
Sometimes simmering makes the best soup.

hugs
Hops

Hopalong

« Reply #1852 on: July 23, 2020, 10:21:52 AM »
This was very interesting to me, G. Thanks for posting it.
I don't think I've ever seen a data-based breakdown of how various toxic beliefs correlate to depression.

Being numbers-avoidant I didn't really dig into the data, but I was fascinated by some of the verbal descriptions of those "pathogenic" beliefs. It occured to me that the simple woman's shortcut could simply be to watch out carefully for thoughts like this, and use affirmations or self-hypnosis to work on rationally eradicating them.

The three most common pathogenic belief items that were endorsed “yes” were item 54, “being burdened, overworked or a martyr is a mark of virtue” (41.67%); item 20, “disagreeing with others will result in contemptuous, angry and rejecting reactions” (40.00%); item 1, “I need to defer to others instead of pursuing my own ideas, needs or interests”; and item 31, “I must remain excessively involved with parents or loved ones because separation would be hurtful, disloyal or make them feel abandoned” (35.00%). In contrast, the least common was item 4, “it is wrong, threatening or disloyal to surpass parents, siblings or significant others” (3.33%); item 16, “I deserve to be mistreated and therefore put myself in self-destructive or abusive situations/relationships”; and item 47, “if I am too sexy, others will feel envious, put me down or threatened”.

Of 54 items, 13 items were found to significantly differ between the two groups (OR ranged from 3.76 to 16.79). The top three OR scores were 16.79 (item 26, “others are superior or more competent than I am”), OR 16.79 (item 22, “I am different from other people, isolated from the rest of the world and/or not part of any group or community”), OR 12.43 (item 3, “I am physically fragile, vulnerable and unhealthy”) and OR 12.25 (item 8, “others will hurt, abuse, humiliate, cheat or manipulate me”) (Table 2).

hugs
Hops

Garbanzo

« Reply #1853 on: July 25, 2020, 01:19:49 AM »
Also "Achievement ideology" could connect with that article.

I forgot I posted that, was going to come here and say I'm burnt out from how much I'm required to read. I guess I should go back to it. It will fill good when it's complete. Sigh.

sKePTiKal

« Reply #1854 on: July 25, 2020, 07:49:01 AM »
HUH. That was an actually useful and informative summary to read G. (I'm seeing way too much "fluff" these days.)

And I think that study has legs. Those kinds of beliefs are what I believe (HA!) were the underlying building blocks of what was my subconscious anxiety/depression that I broke through in CBT therapy. So, the times I mentioned talking back to the tapes in my head - I was challenging my own beliefs. Allowing myself to push past conditioning, societal pressure, and my overwhelming concern about being a "good" person - or being a victim and always in a conflict with the rest of the world.

The reminder right now is TIMELY. I've also shared with Hol.

Many thanks.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

Garbanzo

« Reply #1855 on: August 02, 2020, 10:11:27 PM »
Yeah I think there are real roots to anxiety and depression. Lots of approaches seem to medicate the symptoms.

Garbanzo

« Reply #1856 on: August 02, 2020, 10:17:33 PM »
I feel restless. I don't think it's boredom it's just that I don't feel like relaxing. Got off the phone with a friend, we talked for 30 mins.

So I just finished my first session I'm not sure what it's called because it's not a semester, it's just summer session. It was three classes worth and it was condensed. I think I've got to take 4 classes next round and I'm sort of worried about that but oh well.

I'm almost feeling too tired to write here so maybe I shouldn't.

I'm signed up for a BA in English. I can't spell, my grammar is atrocious but this is the only thing I could figure to do with the preexisting classes I had from many years ago. I'm amazed that I've gotten this far with it. The grades haven't come back yet though maybe that is why I'm anxious and also I went from being busy to not having any deadlines somehow not having deadlines is making me nervous? I don't know what my problem is maybe it's just a bad mood day. It's a feeling of unease that I can't define. I don't feel like reading or watching a movie, I don't feel like doing anything in particular except for maybe visiting friends and that's still not going to happen.