Author Topic: Relationship/s  (Read 94535 times)

sKePTiKal

Re: Relationship
« Reply #405 on: May 10, 2020, 08:58:56 AM »
Seriously?

CB, I'm the "what if?" type too. Yes, I bought another 5 lb bag of flour, store brand, when it finally came back on the shelves... we've been baking, for something to do around here. And I have multiple stacks of things. Things I need to "see" - to remember to do later. Or things I need to do in the morning... or that need to go somewhere else. Half of my garage is the "what if?" pantry. LOLOL and it needs to be unpacked from moving 4 years ago and canned items that are long expired, composted. Just other priorities right now.

Combined with all the different things that the kids like to eat - I've lost almost all my kitchen counter space. (Another month... please contractors, please get it to the move in point!)

As for canvases. Ahem. The one that is now my first painting in 32 years... I bought before we moved to the beach. Hauled it there; hauled it back; finally unwrapped it... stared at blank canvas for two years; one of Holl's friends got me up and playing scribbles with charcoal... gesso'd it... stared at it... and it wasn't until every fiber in my body was totally pissed off and I was tongue-tied and scared to death to open my mouth... that the image jumped out onto the canvas. LOLOLOL.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

lighter

« Reply #406 on: May 11, 2020, 02:19:09 PM »
Amber:

Your space reminds me of my space.  Counter space comes and goes.  Garage has groceries in it, waiting to be dealt with.  I like to have things out where I can see them too

I'm trying to leave counters clear, for working, not storing. Life is better when I swing it.

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #407 on: May 17, 2020, 09:31:55 AM »
Hops, something about what you said over on the yard thread pinged off of me. And where I'm at right now in relationship too.

Obviously, there is another tangled ball of emotional yarn to deal with, in any new relationship. Being carried along on the current of the feelings is often pleasant - and I've missed it, these last years. But the conditioned part of my experience & brain is trying to convince me that I "need" this man, this relationship... to be whole. I caught it going on in my head last night after watching Outlander's season finale - which had some very triggering storylines in it for me - and let it all unravel last night in sleep.

And I KNOW, with my practical, pragmatic brain, that conditioned "need" is absolute bullshit. Otherwise, how would I have managed on my own these last 5-7, maybe 8 years? Was I not "whole" then? YES, yes I was. And for all I was willing to invite Hol here - and participate in her work to get whole, as much as allowed and appropriate - that didn't take anything away from me. (Granted, I DID go through a time of being completely confused again. Talking to John - a less invested party who also knows Hol pretty well - has sorted that out now, again. We're able, most of the time, to have more objective dialogue.)

So, why with B would this reflex show up? To see myself as "less than" and needing what B can provide to be whole? (There's more than that specifically; but this is the general gist of the reflex.) And as far as I can tell - it's the conditioned expectation of finding that "completion" in relationship - both mirroring, complimentary strengths & needs and dare I say it? Subordination, if not quite submissiveness (who me? LOLOL; good luck with that). Yes, it's existed in all my other relationships to varying degrees. With Michael, it was more role-playing than reality... but damn, if it didn't get me into a mess every now & then. He needed so much ego-assurance at times, that it was all but impossible for me to refuse him that. Like letting win a chess game.

I don't want to do that again. Maybe there's more to learn about it - but jeez, I think I know enough now to not want to repeat those lessons! I can CHOOSE to do whatever I want. Including revelling in what I can do on my own - and as slow-paced as it has to be 20 years after I used to do this on a regular, daily basis. Taking a day off to just watch the yarn come untangled in the slow lazy current of water... letting B go to do what he needs to take care of; where he is in his process... and being just FINE, thank ya very much... having some me-time, too.

I think he & I are both realizing that this isn't going to be one of those siamese twin type of relationships; where we're joined at the hip all the time, because of our hearts. We don't WANT it to be. And so that sets up the comparison with "conditioned" fairy tale, white picket fence version, all the time.

All that came up for me, in words finally, when you were talking about your yard and not necessarily wanting/needing M to come "help". LOL. And with the help of a lot of coffee. LOL. Happy Sunday.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 09:35:37 AM by sKePTiKal »

Hopalong

« Reply #408 on: May 17, 2020, 11:02:56 AM »
Yup, I can't see you on the cover of a bodice-ripper, Amber!
Or maybe I can, but it would be entire voluntary having-bodice-ripped, and not about swooning or helplessness or submission.

I think the key is to bear in mind one always has a choice to GIVE vulnerability. When vulnerability is TAKEN, though, that's submission. Taking turns with giving and receiving vulnerability is beautiful.

B doesn't sound like a ripper, but if he's got a kilt on....

Now I hafta go re-watch the last episode of Season 5.

Big hugs,
Hops

PS Actually I would LOVE it if M would help me, or take a hint now and then. But he seems allergic to spending a cent on my home. It may be an unconscious thing...maybe he wants me to ultimately move in with him, so why help me fix up my place? Or maybe he's still into stock market shock. I dunno. But there's no point in thinking about it, as I'm on my own.

Another thing about accepting too much help from him is that it becomes for him a delicious drama about his helpfulness. The price of his strutting through it is almost too high to pay at times. (That E.R. stroke story, and a few other times he's been the last presence I'd need in a crisis. The day after, when maintenance begins...he's very responsible and present and dutiful. Always proclaiming "I'll do anything you need!" It may be true but he just fills up the room with his take-charginess. That has value too, if one's helpless, but I fight it.)

The conundrum is, I'm going over for dinner tonight and greatly looking forward to being with him. Yet he was in my yard with me and my neighbor friend and bf last night and he interrupted so much (and I was too tired to contain it) that I yelled his name several times, startling him so I could finish my sentence. That whole pattern reeks of misery to me. I just hate having to FIGHT for the basic courtesy of not being cut off in the middle of a sentence, and raising my voice makes me unhappy.

He really does have a very loud voice in his own brain that drives him like a steam engine to dominate all conversation, especially in a social setting. Getting him to stop his racing monologue long enough to participate is exhausting at times. Other times, I relax with it and enjoy him. He is trying, and does listen a bit better when we're on our own now. But socially, I am literally embarrassed by his monologues.

All in all, apart from those two moments when I nearly blew, we had a great time with the neighbors. She is very similar to M in that she's charming, very insecure, and competitive. They both told stories that were diverting. I stuck my oar in a couple of times and mostly just became audience, and her bf didn't get a chance.

hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

sKePTiKal

« Reply #409 on: May 17, 2020, 11:17:16 AM »
Holly does that to me often, Hops. I just give her one of those "mom looks" and ask her if I can finish what I was saying. I talk slowly, pause a lot, probably because I don't have any pat statements - I'm thinking, feeling, choosing my words to get my meaning across all while my mouth is moving. LOLOL. (Silly me)

When I can stand my ground that way - she DOES listen. And we do have better conversations. She thinks so fast she's already responding to where she thinks I'm going to go often; and often she's WRONG. That's teaching her to wait a bit before jumping to conclusions.

Guess that's why I'm much more comfortable writing my thoughts & feelings, most times. Especially when it's a deep topic.

Hopalong

« Reply #410 on: May 17, 2020, 12:21:52 PM »
Bingo. Substitute "M" for "she" and it's exactly the pattern:

She thinks so fast she's already responding to where she thinks I'm going to go often; and often she's WRONG.

I think my dear M is so accustomed to his mega-intellect being admired (hugely, in his profession) that he's developed a habit of believing his own press, in that he just thinks if his mouth is moving, he's speaking truth. I often call him on it but disagreeing (and it's funny, he'll seem both startled and delighted).

In our domestic world, he's ridiculously arrogant sometimes, boring sometimes, funny sometimes, maddening sometimes, stimulating and entertaining sometimes. If our Sikh can help us both have conversations rather than dueling monologues and dueling battles for attention/space/oxygen...we'll have a great future!

Last session, we talked about listening and something really good happened. I was explaining how I was feeling about the interrupting and being cut off, and described the whole exchange M and I had had over the advice column, including M's email reply: "Yes of course, and I'm working on it, but we all do it, and it's because we're enthusiastic about a topic or excited about the person, and it should never be misread as an intent to dominate."

Pondering that, I realized it was a complete encapsulation of M's pattern, imo. The T had pointed out previously that M tends in response to say something that sounds like affirmation (Yes of course I understand what you're saying) followed rapidly by contradicting (But/However). There are actual steps to it:

I explain my frustration over being talked over and interrupted so much. M:
 1) Affirms: Yes of course I understand (and am working on it)
 2) Contradicts: But/However
 3) Reframes/New explanation: It's only because I'm such an enthusiastic person and excited about talking to you...(implied: who'd be so mean as to criticize that?)
 4) Deflects: Changes the subject (to himself)
 5) Summarizes Good Intent: refers back to My Always-Pure Intentions (you therefore are Wrong to suggest I'm trying to dominate, which I'd neeeeeever do).

We went through it again, and this time I just relaxed and listened. At Step 4, M went into an amazing Deflection that went on at least 5 full minutes (quite a stretch in therapy-time): He'd had such a terrible week because one son's job is shaky now, a son-in-law is getting divorced, and Covid-19 (all of which he'd told me about days before, but was presenting as news for the T). It was powerful because basically, he went on and on in tremendous detail about HIS distress. Then the T asked me what I'd heard, and I was able to say:

I hear a pattern. He first affirms, then contradicts my story and reframes it, and then deflects and changes the subject to HIS distress, and prevents challenge by summing up his pure intentions. I am certainly capable of attempts to dominate at times as most people are, but M's repeated references to his pure heart and good intentions muzzle me. And after all that, my initial issue never got dealt with.

What was good about it is I am convinced that the Sikh sees and hears and spots every layer and nuance of all this (as he does with my stuff too) and that over time, if I'm patient, he has a real chance of helping M see himself. I know he's helped me see important things like problems trusting, issues with feeling unsafe with any male who's not as gentle as my Dad was, which was extreme).

Anyhow, I was very excited about that session. It made me hopeful. And also, the Sikh says to M: In your world and your work, you are the smartest person in the room. (M looks delighted to hear this.) But in this room, about human behavior, I am the smartest person in the room. (M squirms but also looks intrigued.) Funny!

The T told M that the missing piece is M noticing and checking back with me, ever. Such as: Did I respond to what you were asking me? Does this make sense to you? Or particularly (I'm noticing this more and so is the T) -- are  you aware of Hops' face? Stop, look at her face right now. (M's eyes are darting everywhere else.) The T keeps encouraging M to actually tune in. He told M he has an over-developed frontal lobe and is missing info that will be helpful. M says, I need a lobotomy.

I'm probably making all this sound like piling-on-poor-M, but the truth is he is enjoying this, mostly. He is being taught, which isn't common for him, but he's very motivated to make our relationship work, he never acts resentful about it, and he and the Sikh do a lot of bonding and laughing also. I think this therapy is fantastic.

hugs
Hops
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 01:09:56 PM by Hopalong »

Hopalong

« Reply #411 on: May 17, 2020, 02:18:07 PM »
Went off on a huge tangent on YARD thread when Lighter asked me a simple question about blueberries? House hunt? Anyhoo, decided to move it here, fwiw.
(Anal-librarian gene expressing, if only it would in my HOUSE!)
--------------
(((Lighter))--

I really don't WANT to house-hunt with M right now. I welcome the Pause. I needed it. We were moving too fast and I was too uneasy and his way of controlling the process was calling up uncertainties about him that I'm currently working with in therapy. Both with him, and with my single-T. I think it's right that it's on Pause.

He and I are enjoying each other a lot, with our 2-3 times/week get-togethers. I'm on my own at my place...he helped plant things one day, but hasn't expressed any interest in maintaining it, because he's deeply involved in his book. I celebrate that for him. He has not shown any interest in helping me with my home projects. (I hinted for some paid yard-work help, and got the sweater.) That's a signal that we're genuinely not ready for real life-merging. And that's okay.

He's paid for power-washing of his own house, tree work, and has done painting lately. That's his priority. He's planting his fig trees. I get it, and don't fault him. But the landscape of where his priorities are is reinforcing that no matter how old and slow we are, we've got a looooong way to go before I'd feel right about a lifetime commitment. M is all words, almost all the time. He loves cooking and having me to dinner because he craves my companionship, and that can be delightful. I almost always enjoy his company. But right now, we're each in our own separate orbits dealing with our own situations/places/mental stuff. It's not really shared.

M is not helping me with my projects. I'm not blaming him. I am the one still writing in bed when everything outside is crying out for attention. It's my problem.

Yes, fertilized blueberries.

If not now, when? is a good question. But I'm feeling so different during the epidemic, having spent so many hours just thinking and sinking back into my own self, that it feels like a less-important one.

Time will tell!

hugs
Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #412 on: May 18, 2020, 07:50:57 AM »
This might be a dumb question, and you've probably answered it many times over on the board Hops. My brain is just so full of stuff these days - I'm honestly forgetting things.

Do you ever feel that you'd be risking your relationship with M, if you simply stood your ground or rejected one of his suggestions or refused to play the same old role day in, day out? I know you'll assert what you believe are your best interests and protect boundaries... but, even in "bull in the china shop" Amber will go out of her way to stand down and step away from a potential argument or conflict because she perceives a risk to the relationship (that may or may not really exist).

Hopalong

« Reply #413 on: May 18, 2020, 10:01:40 AM »
I honestly don't, Amber. M is all in on us forever, a bit more than I am. Thanks for asking it though. Though at times I've had to fight for it, M will back off.

I'm not all the way there, but what I'm hoping to solidify is a feeling shift in myself. Best way I can describe it before more caffeine is:

My goal is to draw and protect/respect my own boundaries not out of anxiety that his confidence/forcefulness will over-ride me but calmly, routinely, because it feels as comfortable and normal to say No as it does to say Yes. Not full of "charge" if I say No, nor some kind of fatigue when I say Yes. What I want to get to is behaving as though and believing that Yes and No are just different correct answers.

I'm definitely in need of more practice with this. And I'm sure I'll get many opportunities!

How do you feel about boundaries with B?

hugs
Hops
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 12:51:37 PM by Hopalong »

sKePTiKal

« Reply #414 on: May 18, 2020, 04:50:00 PM »
Good to hear Hops! You can probably imagine, that question arose my own checking in with myself. LOL.

He's better at boundaries than I am. And very very considerate of whatever mine might be - if I haven't already made it clear. I'm very comfortable with him on that question. OTHER people, maybe not so much. But having someone to compare to is helpful. And over these months of being stuck here together - a lot of things have been hashed out and are resolving. There haven't been as many distractions or ways to procrastinate dealing with things.

lighter

« Reply #415 on: May 18, 2020, 05:26:08 PM »
Hops:

I'm going to post a brief suggestion, and not a lot more around it.

If you, the Seik and M used your birthday re-do as excercise for improving  M's attunement to you, your words, your expressions and joy....

If you asked for what you want in a straightforward manner....

If M selected a gift, bc it would bring YOU joy (instead of him joy).....

there are lessons here that can't be teased out verbally, IME.

Sometimes doing is better than dissecting the mistakes. 

Sometimes getting on with solutions is the best lesson of all.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #416 on: May 19, 2020, 02:14:35 PM »
Thanks, Lighter.
I think horrible gift-giving is characteristic of people with a high degree of narcissistic traits. M is one such. I wouldn't go so far as to slam him with the cascade of horrible-human judgements that most things N-ish usually call up in me. There's goodness there too. Or at least I'm thinking so. Hoping I'm not deluded. That's really the bottom line about why I'm glad moving is on Pause and we're in T.

Anyway, my theory about the gift-giving thing is that for one reason or another (in M's case it may be a kind of hyper brain that makes it more difficult to focus on others' realities) -- or who knows, just plain self-absorption and lack of insight -- some people are just incurious about others' inner lives. And therefore lousy at remembering enough detail to get a meaningful or delightful gift for an individual.

The Sikh asked Monday, out of the blue: Hops, would you like it if M asked you more questions? I nearly leaped out of my chair. Dang, this man is good.

M seldom asks me questions, or listens long enough to learn about my layers. He has a kind of repetitive list of positive/"sophisticated" attributes of mine that he loves to declaim. I said in T that although I recognize they're positives, his way of using the exact same list and repeating it often to me or in therapy, "this is why I so value Hops" leaves me unmoved, feeling even less connected. It's weird but I don't feel flattered, I feel memorized. "Here is the executive summary of Hops--why I admire her and want her." The list is unchanging. Literally.

He didn't get it, but did say he'd try to vary the adjectives. LOL. I think he is totally sincere in saying the list to himself. I think he confuses admiration with love. But to the degree he has love in his heart, and he does, I know his love for me is also real.

I'm sure that was all very contradictory. It is in my head too.

hugs
Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #417 on: May 20, 2020, 08:03:09 AM »
More power to ya Hops... that kind of stuff would drive me totally bonkers. Especially if he pulls out a thesaurus and just substitutes new adjectives for you. :P 

It almost sounds like he has to reduce you to an abstract in his brain - a bare-bones outline devoid of sentience and emotion. Very Vulcan-like; Mr. Spock...  ... ..... ............. idea.............

Do you s'pose this is a defense mechanism that he projects on others, because he doesn't want to, is afraid of, getting into what he really feels? feelings in general? (I know that sentence requires a decoder ring; Jeez... this is why I'm terrible talking too.) Do you see what I'm getting at here?

I see glimpses of that in Hol, too. Usually, right before the tears start. She is loathe to open the gates and just be with her emotions - I think she fears drowning in them and losing the "superpower" of mental-verbal magic. Her dreams (subconscious stuff coming up this week) are bad enough. So, it's like she doesn't know that her emotions - for as intense as they are - can't control her to the extent of not being a conscious, intentional being. (To a slight degree, this IS true for many people.)

And maybe this is all hot air out my nether regions... and in reality I am speculating on something that not even I see clearly enough (yet) to come to any conclusions.

lighter

« Reply #418 on: May 20, 2020, 08:29:15 AM »
Hops:

I was just sure the T would follow up with asking you to tell M what would have been a thoughtful bd gift to you, from M.

An exercise in practice so M could experience, with the T's help, asking for information then receiving it.  Reheating back what he heard, so you can correct.  Asking for it in writing.  Agreeing.  FEELING joy in giving a personal gift, tailored to the woman he loves.....or child / grandchild/ friend.

If he can't care/ be bothered/give up control over that...... I'd want to know.  I'd also want the T to walk me through it. 

Walk M through it.

It seems to me the devil will be in the details.  Small joys can offset negatives, IME.  Feeling M cares as much about your joy, as his own, would be something, imo.

Cultivating the habit if asking for info and asking for what is wanted seems necessary.

Now I'm going to let the sweater go....I think.

Helping you with your yard and garden would work in M's favor.  Not against him.  He should understand that.   Acting from a place of fear and resentment needs to be addressed, IME.  IMHO it's the priority.

M might have the future he wants with you.  He's going to have to find a way.....the T will have to provide a scaffold FOR M, IMO.  There have to be limits M understands and internalizes.  Certain acts if curiosity/seeking......reading the room.  It will only help M in all areas of his world.  Or not.

All my opinions, if course.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #419 on: May 20, 2020, 09:48:46 AM »
Amber, this is really perceptive:

Do you s'pose this is a defense mechanism that he projects on others, because he doesn't want to, is afraid of, getting into what he really feels? feelings in general?

I'm thinking so. It's odd, because when he feels sad he'll be very open about that and turn to me for empathy. (He just lost another colleague in another state; when anyone he knows dies he is always devastated. He told me last night he thinks it's because it scares him, brings death close. That was a good insight.) He hadn't seen the man in years -- knows many people in his field and refers to them all as "very good friends." I find it sad that his world is all professional and the way he describes friends is always accomplishment based, never about personality. His world for all its cultural variety is very narrow. There's no evidence to me of any close friends here in town. He sees colleagues at the Univ (now closed due to covid) and talks about them, but only about work. I think he does love them. But there are no bonding activities with local friends in his life. A wine club a few times a year, that's it. Nobody calls him other than colleagues (about work) or family. No meeting a friend for a beer. Then again, this is true for many men his age. The woman is the friend.

What you notice I think is his discomfort with actual within-relationship intimacy. I'm not sure, but I think he believes intimacy is someone else listening to him talk. There's much less exchange of feelings and nuance than in other dialogues I've been in; and the lack of question-asking means less exploration of the other (me). Sometimes though, I don't mind his incuriosity -- that autopilot thing is less work!

I feel compassion for him yet I can also feel disconnected. (I've said several times in T that I'd like a deeper connection.) He's quite childlike when he's sad. Or does things with his voice that make him sound very young. He has a dramatic way of speaking at all times, and when he's sad I find I feel inside unsympathetic. I don't show that because I don't like it. I'm just hyper-leery of being maternal with him, because although he can be super-executive in parts of his world, he's nearly infantile in other parts. I am pretty direct when I comfort him but not soothing. I just say, sincerely, I'm very sorry you lost your friend, etc. I'll be kind but not soothing. For some reason I'm very uncomfortable offering that because of a sense it'd be endless. Developmentally, he seems more childlike than I feel good around.

All this sounds really sour but I'm not feeling that. It's just that I'm tuning into how M seems to have a gear or two missing that I'd enjoy if he had them. Like he's in first or fifth, most of the time. I think there's more there, but am not sure it'll ever come up to the surface for us to enjoy exploring together. However, in T things do seem to slowly happen. I need to be patient. Quarantine ain't helping. I'm pretty stagnant myself at the mo'.

Lighter, I have never brought up any dissatisfaction with gift-giving to him or to the T, because my internalized values from childhood would forbid that. (That's "greedy.") So there's no discussion or b-day re-do--it was weeks ago. I'll just figure that before another obvious gift-giving occasion (like Xmas), I'll try to remember to nicely ask more directly for what I'd like. Otherwise, I was trained never to act as though I want a gift. I like sensitive surprises, so tend to feel disappointed at the cliche stuff. On the other hand, M is someone who would be responsible to me in the big picture, and if I were feeling more appreciative (working on it!) I'd focus on what I DO have with him, not what I don't.

hugs
Hops