Author Topic: Farm Doin's - 2020  (Read 49909 times)

Hopalong

Re: Farm Doin's - 2020
« Reply #285 on: July 25, 2020, 12:51:04 PM »
Man, I'm glad nobody's around to notice the ways I can avoid such productivity.
Eerrrgggghhh.

Well, I'm going to assume faith in him and the gubmint that if he physically is too unwell to dive, they won't let him dive. Hope so anyhow.

You sound good. A&B sound GREAT.

I advocate laziness in mega heat. Unfortunately, I advocate laziness generally.

hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

sKePTiKal

« Reply #286 on: July 26, 2020, 08:37:38 PM »
Yeah Hops. Thanks for the advice to focus on me this week. I have a tendency to rub salt in my wounds - and I'm missing B a LOT. I've already told him it's not fair of him to basically tell me how he feels about me at the deepest levels... and then go away with no communication for a week.  :P  We've kinda been headed in that direction since he was here last anyway. And I dove in a little deeper than was wise on my feelings - given how intense my feelings for him have become.

I am fortunate in that Hol & Steve are around and I do have someone to talk to... and there's stuff going on all the time, coz even tho she's taking it easy on her ribs - she absolutely can't sit still. LOL. Just like B. Her new tactic to hurry the contractor along finishing up the Hut is brilliant. She's started setting up her dining room today. And is choosing the next room for the next day they don't show up to work. LOLOLOLOL. Plumber called today a couple times, coordinating what needs to happen in her kitchen & bathrooms. He'll be here next week. Contractor has another coat of stucco to spray on the walls & ceiling downstairs... and then it's just small things and the electrician again. So she can move things in.

There's probably going to be a space of time, where I'm alone at the house again before B moves. I have some things I want to accomplish before he gets here - if possible. The biggest ones are for me. But the heat should start to moderate end of next week... and then I can get back to outside things again. And it'll soon be hunting season - Hol and I were talking about splitting the rest of the woodpile from what was cut to change the drive. And I can STILL work in the garden... even if it's too late to plant. I still have some herbs to get planted too. It's going to be easier to focus on stuff like that by myself.

We're already starting to talk about Yule season too. I've kinda been moving away from traditional "Christmas" and toward Yule the last few years. And it's a much longer timeframe. And I've just been warned that if things don't improve in the city soon - there will be a hell of a Halloween party at the Hut.

Back to my feelings... which I'm glad to be distracted from for any amount of time...

I've noticed something that I've been working on today. I trust this guy a lot; deeply. And even though he's not my normal type - the connection we have is incredibly strong. We have a LOT in common, too. I'm totally in love with him... and as it turns out, he with me. We know that over time things change. But this feeling doesn't have to. So I should feel totally happy right? Yeah..... maybe not. In some ways, it's so intense; "Too good to be true" and I'm so used to him "being there" - that this week's separation really turned dark on me. Almost a replay of losing Michael... but not quite. And it persisted even after I woke up this morning... so I simply DECIDED...

I'm not going to do that. It's OK, he had to go away for work for a week. I'm truly FINE. He hasn't been here that much yet. The intense feelings aren't "bad"; aren't negative at all... he'll be back soon. And I'm right here waiting on him.

I found it strange that my mind tried to turn the feelings into something negative; painful. And that it was so easy to decide not to do that. Who knew it was that easy? It's never been that easy before. The more I work with feelings, the easier it seems to get - to not be at their "mercy". Tortured by them.

Maybe - referencing G's comments & article on the Anything thread - I had a long-held belief that I couldn't protect myself from being run over by own feelings? And perhaps the belief simply isn't true NOW. We used to believe in Santa Claus, after all....

B has this effect on me - that I feel MORE my SELF and more ALIVE than before. Like in some alchemical way - our chemistry is such that we're both waking up from a long long dream. (Weird metaphor; but it's the only one I have that comes close.) He is so extroverted and having fun with our friends online now, versus only barely posting gloomy, I'm still surviving news about what's going on with him. He's so much brighter, energetic, and shines like the sun... and I'm feeling quite comfortable in my own skin - old & wrinkled as it is - and stronger of purpose and trusting of my ability to "do" what needs doing... even without him around. (Yeah, the man has skills and will be incredibly useful here.) Feeling bad because he's completing his past obligations & not available to me... just doesn't make a damn bit o' sense to me. Yeah, I miss him. I miss him when he's blowing up my phone and interrupting what I'm doing, too.

It's just what IS. And I'd be a silly goose to feel guilty about being so fortunate that I found love again or afraid of being so happy - as if neither of us deserved it. THAT'S neurotic. Pure & simple. And I don't have to do it. Apparently.

Hahahahahahahaha...
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

sKePTiKal

« Reply #287 on: July 29, 2020, 11:14:39 AM »
<Rambling Blather Warning>

It's a good thing I figured out I could essentially "flip a switch" and not try to make myself miserable about B being beyond where we can communicate. Because this feeling (feelings?) is/are incredibly intense. I've been trying to figure out ways to manage that and still go about my day without being totally distracted & preoccupied. This is more intense than even when I first recognized the connection between us - when Hol said I was just like a lovestruck 14 yr old. LOLOLOL.

Go figure: I've got a lot more practice and experience managing negative emotions - but I've never been this so blissfully happy. It feels STRANGE. And he's not even communicating with me; not for a few more days yet. This is all coming from ME. And ironically, for most of my life, I believed that happy was a transitory state. Fleeting moments that one shouldn't attach oneself to - because they'd be gone in the space of hours or at most - a day. It's not imaginary or fantasy-based... I'll be doing something mundane like taking the trash out - and start giggling to myself, just because I feel so happy. Not even thinking about him. It's not conditional - ie, it's not a reaction to communication from him or his presence. There isn't any interaction whatsoever between us this week - altho I did dream about him a couple nights ago.

I can't even analyze it much; only so far as concluding that the feelings I've experienced previously when I thought I was "in love"... were apparitions of emotional programming/conditioning: this is how people are supposed to feel, act, think, etc. There were a lot transactional conditions in all 3 of my marriages; unspoken negotiations of I'll give you X, and in return, I'll receive Y and "put up with" Z. After the years A&B have talked - we've never even had one "relationship" conversation. We do talk about feelings; and how we feel with each other. We did address the practical aspects of our individual habits & quirks & how we like to do things.

We're both so ferociously independent that "needs" seem to not exist as separate things; we just WANT to be together because it feels happy to be together. The other's happiness is more important - and that's a two-way connection. We don't HAVE TO BE together, to still have the relationship we do. All the other stuff just kind of falls into place naturally with us. Even now - while I'm adjusting to this unfamiliar "frequency" of happy - I'm not making plans, checklists of expectations to be met, or a post-it of things we have to discuss.

I guess this "me".... is Amber too. She was there all this time under the layers & layers of muck, pain, defenses, risk averseness, starting overs, practical matters.... and all it took was for someone to look and see her hiding under all that. All that "other stuff" is still useful; a good experiential toolkit; it doesn't need to be purged or forgotten... as long as it doesn't get in the way or thinks it's not important anymore and tries to get attention by acting out.

Better late than never, I guess.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 11:17:58 AM by sKePTiKal »

Hopalong

« Reply #288 on: July 29, 2020, 11:27:26 AM »
WOWSERS, Amber. I think this is some huge leaping. You are beginning to resemble a kangaroo.

this week's separation really turned dark on me. Almost a replay of losing Michael...

That is so stark and so clear. I'm glad you saw it. That the lover's temporary absence could feel almost (not quite) like DEATH, in the loss it triggered. You know this reaction is "too big" but you identified it honestly and full on, and that's why you could immediately, rationally, challenge the proportion. Good for you, girl.

...it persisted even after I woke up this morning... so I simply DECIDED...

I'm not going to do that. It's OK, he had to go away for work for a week. I'm truly FINE.

Yes, you are! Doesn't mean it's FUN to be missing him, but it isn't DANGEROUS.

It sounds as though you really had an epiphany about your own self and your own reactions, and it sounds like the kind that will keep on rippling good things, healing and hopeful realizations...on into the future.

I say seriously, congratulations. Whether it was decision or reason or a sudden moment where your mind was ready to click into balance between emotion and reason and health and vulnerability...all or some combo, you let this good change happen. You didn't block it or fear it or sabotage it.

That's awesome!

hugs
Hops

lighter

« Reply #289 on: July 29, 2020, 12:44:39 PM »
Amber:

Hear! Hear!

Here's to noticing emotions aren't real.  They have no power.  They're not good or bad, they just are, and one doesn't have to grab on or follow them down a rabbit hole. 

One may choose where attention is focused. 

I look forward to you and B focusing on every happy amazing thing in your lives, shared and individually, without projecting into the future or worrying about the past. 

Just.....

BE A&B.
And A.
And B.

And seek your joy. 

Right here,  and now,  WOOF.

Lighter

CB123

• It's never to late to be what you might have been
« Reply #290 on: July 29, 2020, 03:15:10 PM »
I remember this so well, Amber. A naturally occurring hormone drug! I think its designed to make the commitment plunge absolutely imperative! Enjoy it--but you AREN'T going to get anything done, so give that up!

CB
When they are older and telling their own children about their grandmother, they will be able to say that she stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way -- and it surely has not -- she adjusted her sails.  Elizabeth Edwards 2010

cats paw

« Reply #291 on: July 29, 2020, 04:05:14 PM »
Well said by CB.   I was going to say something very similar after reading your last couple of posts!

It's so wonderful to know those kinds of feelings have no age limit.

Cat

sKePTiKal

« Reply #292 on: July 29, 2020, 04:27:45 PM »
Hops I do think it's a combo of things - and TIMING, really - that it just clicked for me. Boo on the not getting anything done, though... LOL.  But I really can't. I'm in some strange state of suspended animation... waiting for Hol to be able to start moving (a couple more days; early next week) and Buck to get back to his regularly scheduled "timeline" for moving here.

I did get preps ready to build my wall of rock, though, yesterday.

Lighter... I sense that I'm flowing more WITH things these days, instead of trying to impose how I think things should go. And since that whole intuitive side of me has woken up... I'm definitely noticing things more often and in different ways than before.

Kitty - After Mike died (2015) it was a few years before I even thought about "looking" again. Tried the online dating stuff - and it just isn't my scene. And I'd known B for years before he came up last year to rescue my jeeps from my studied neglect... LOL. I moved in that time too; back "home" but in the mountains across the state line. So I knew I liked him as a friend; he'd been actively supporting me on some of those worst nights early on, during the freshest loss. But the sparks were undeniable and he was too much a gentleman and too shy to make the first move. LOLOL. I think I mighta scared myself a little in that process. ("What were you THINKING Amber?! Have you lost your mind??! You're not ready for this!!!!) Oh my***. But as it turns out we've had a chance to let the friendship deepen and shift... and yes, it's truly something I'm grateful for -- to find this kind of love again.

Seriously, I might consider writing a romance novel this winter. LOL. I just can't write dialogue worth a crap. Maybe I'll try Cormac McCarthy's style - no punctuation on the dialogue. There's an ulterior motive to this idea, since there's an open question of whether perhaps we were together in a past life (if you believe such things are possibe; I'm not sure). Would give me a chance to let imagination & intuition create setting... and maybe I'd get clues.

*** Once upon a time, back in ye olden times of beads & rock & roll & incense, I was most definitely an "empowered" young woman. That changed over the decades; mellowed; I'm seeing my feminity in new ways too. (Without giving up any independence, mind you).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 04:42:40 PM by sKePTiKal »

sKePTiKal

« Reply #293 on: July 31, 2020, 10:03:38 AM »
And Buck is home. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Everything went well. And now, for the catching up phase.... 

I'll be back; just don't know how long this is going to take.  :D

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #294 on: July 31, 2020, 10:08:15 AM »
That's great news, Skep, enjoy :)  Look forward to reading the next update :) xx

sKePTiKal

« Reply #295 on: August 03, 2020, 08:46:41 AM »
There are some parallel plots going on in the farm story right now. Different streams of activity... like different wet weather streams in a downpour - which we might get this week. Not the trop storm so much - but what the storm is going to run into; a weather feature coming out of the upper midwest/great lakes.

Hol has been working at the Hut; removing the wrong color of grout in her master bath shower so it can be regrouted. Heat gun and utility knife work - miserable but not physically difficult. She's just about done. Plumber has been busy connecting kitchen sink & bathroom stuff. Electrician worked Sat, too. This week looks to include moving her appliances down so the gas ones can be hooked up. Interior doors going up; trim getting finished; painting the few odds & ends left. Then, she's headed to B'more to help one of co-workers move. His wife has been going through chemo - and they are moving her and the little one first, as a virus precaution. Then the assembled crew - mostly people from the production crews - will dive in on the bigger stuff. The tv series that was postponed by the virus has been cancelled, so it's a good thing all those people have side jobs. Hol wasn't sure she was going to go back to work. The next weekend - my house will get emptied of her stuff.

Over the weekend, she invited out a friend & his wife that she hasn't seen in a long time. They live out of the city - but jumped at a chance to go somewhere for a change of scenery. He builds garden structures - ike greenhouses, solar systems, etc. And have a homesteader mentality. He and I hit it off and talked late into the darkness; I'm covered in mosquito bites... but we were trading his ideas & my long decades of being interested in this life. Years & years ago, I remember being on the first homestead - and telling Hol I could see her becoming the cliché farmwife with chickens, dogs & cats, & kids running around the yard. I smile to myself, seeing her make that transition - her way of course.

B had a very productive week on his training mission. One student reminded him, of him at that age. He spent a little more time with him - just as he did, with the guy who'd trained him. It was his first - and last - deep dive (100 ft or more) since his injury. And he got closure on that whole part of his life. Some of the diving gear got an appropriate "burial at sea". 17 to 65 is a pretty big chunk of someone's life. He called me a couple times over the weekend. Once when the dog, Seth (Hol's friend) & I got stung by yellow jackets.... LOL. I didn't see the nest when we walked around the deck. No major problems; B was just being protective. That can feel really new & strange to me; but I LIKE it. Sometimes I do remind him, I can take care of myself, though.

I didn't get TOO stuck in overthinking all these new feelings and the "knock you on your butt" intensity of them. I asked for, and got, the reassurance that I wasn't imagining how he feels about me. We are doing the trade, I described in the SHAME thread... so that our individual puzzle pieces of self are coming together to form a new picture. I had to transfer the one text he sent me, to my journal. So I flipped back, to the beginning marker - about my first weekend at the little cabin back in spring '16. Before I bought the farm. It was 6 months after Mike died.

The comparison is interesting. What happened as a result of that experience for me, was beginning a journey back into the whole world of Pre-Twiggy emotional intensity. All the stuff I had to "put away" to get all of my cognitive synapses firing in functional order after the trauma. Hops mentioned shame... I was shamed for how emotional I was as a result of all that trauma. I was expected - it was demanded of me - that I pull up my boots and keep on truckin' somehow. As if what had happened was just a minor insult. Those feelings were the full panorama of emotion, in living color. And it was ALL shutdown, in an attempt to keep my anger under wraps... because that emotion and it's intensity wasn't "comfortable" for other people around me. (Nevermind, it was a direct cry for HELP.) Funny I did meet other people in those early days who completely understood it... and started to help me figure it out. But the people I counted on the most just made things worse. Neighborhood people, teachers, my step-dad... they all helped...

and countless boyfriends and 3 husbands. LOL. I mentioned my stubborn persistence, in the other thread. LOLOL. I never stopped LOOKING for someone who could understand and accept that part of me. It would appear that B was on the same quest... and needed what I can give him too. A whole nother B is waking up too, in this process of working to be together. And communicating that between us... just blew the overthinking, doubts, and uncertainty right outta the water (why do I think I'm going to use that analogy a lot more??? LOLOL). This is real & it's for all the marbles this time. It's "what you see is what you get"... simple. Happy is now a new flavor in both our lives - and we're not clinging to any one particular moment of it... instead we're creating ways to manifest that as often as we can.

I feel kinda like I'm designing myself a new life role... and I think I know where I got the idea from; but of course, it needs to be tailored to me. And Buck.

And I'm going to weave a new balance between left-brain competence and right-brain emotion & processing. It's already starting... and some of it, I'm not even directing. That's OK too.

I just love it when a plan works out. LOLOLOLOLOL.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 08:52:48 AM by sKePTiKal »

lighter

« Reply #296 on: August 03, 2020, 01:57:40 PM »
There are some parallel plots going on in the farm story right now. Different streams of activity... like different wet weather streams in a downpour - which we might get this week. Not the trop storm so much - but what the storm is going to run into; a weather feature coming out of the upper midwest/great lakes.  Thunder storm just rolled over us, Amber.  I do love the rain.

Hol has been working at the Hut; removing the wrong color of grout in her master bath shower so it can be regrouted. Heat gun and utility knife work - miserable but not physically difficult. She's just about done. Plumber has been busy connecting kitchen sink & bathroom stuff. Electrician worked Sat, too. This week looks to include moving her appliances down so the gas ones can be hooked up. Interior doors going up; trim getting finished; painting the few odds & ends left. Then, she's headed to B'more to help one of co-workers move. His wife has been going through chemo - and they are moving her and the little one first, as a virus precaution. Then the assembled crew - mostly people from the production crews - will dive in on the bigger stuff. The tv series that was postponed by the virus has been cancelled, so it's a good thing all those people have side jobs. Hol wasn't sure she was going to go back to work. The next weekend - my house will get emptied of her stuff.
You so often hit all the high points, IMO, and leave me feeling I have the big picture... and need nothing else from your posts to feel informed and caught up: )

Over the weekend, she invited out a friend & his wife that she hasn't seen in a long time. They live out of the city - but jumped at a chance to go somewhere for a change of scenery. He builds garden structures - ike greenhouses, solar systems, etc. And have a homesteader mentality. He and I hit it off and talked late into the darkness; I'm covered in mosquito bites... but we were trading his ideas & my long decades of being interested in this life. Years & years ago, I remember being on the first homestead - and telling Hol I could see her becoming the cliché farmwife with chickens, dogs & cats, & kids running around the yard. I smile to myself, seeing her make that transition - her way of course.
That warms my heart.  How kind of Hol to lend that hand.  I hope she stays safe.I hope being around a little one doesn't jerk her emotions around too hard for wanting her own.  Is she still talking about having a baby?

B had a very productive week on his training mission. One student reminded him, of him at that age. He spent a little more time with him - just as he did, with the guy who'd trained him. It was his first - and last - deep dive (100 ft or more) since his injury. And he got closure on that whole part of his life. Some of the diving gear got an appropriate "burial at sea". 17 to 65 is a pretty big chunk of someone's life. He called me a couple times over the weekend. Once when the dog, Seth (Hol's friend) & I got stung by yellow jackets.... LOL. I didn't see the nest when we walked around the deck. No major problems; B was just being protective. That can feel really new & strange to me; but I LIKE it. Sometimes I do remind him, I can take care of myself, though.
I so get that being able to take care of yourself, but also having a place where care and concern are welcome.  It's a delicate balance, IME.  I don't know why it sometimes brings up reactivity, but it does.  Well, I DO know, but it has nothing to do with your stuff,  thank God.

I didn't get TOO stuck in overthinking all these new feelings and the "knock you on your butt" intensity of them. I asked for, and got, the reassurance that I wasn't imagining how he feels about me. We are doing the trade, I described in the SHAME thread... so that our individual puzzle pieces of self are coming together to form a new picture. I had to transfer the one text he sent me, to my journal. So I flipped back, to the beginning marker - about my first weekend at the little cabin back in spring '16. Before I bought the farm. It was 6 months after Mike died.

The comparison is interesting. What happened as a result of that experience for me, was beginning a journey back into the whole world of Pre-Twiggy emotional intensity. All the stuff I had to "put away" to get all of my cognitive synapses firing in functional order after the trauma. Hops mentioned shame... I was shamed for how emotional I was as a result of all that trauma. I was expected - it was demanded of me - that I pull up my boots and keep on truckin' somehow. As if what had happened was just a minor insult. Those feelings were the full panorama of emotion, in living color.  I think I get that too.  The stoicism.... the need to get through and not feel weakened or weak or vulnerable or allowed to have normal human emotions while there's so much to be done.  Does that make sense to you? And it was ALL shutdown, in an attempt to keep my anger under wraps... because that emotion and it's intensity wasn't "comfortable" for other people around me. (Nevermind, it was a direct cry for HELP.)Familiar too. Funny I did meet other people in those early days who completely understood it... and started to help me figure it out. But the people I counted on the most just made things worse. Neighborhood people, teachers, my step-dad... they all helped...

and countless boyfriends and 3 husbands. LOL. I mentioned my stubborn persistence, in the other thread. LOLOL. I never stopped LOOKING for someone who could understand and accept that part of me. It would appear that B was on the same quest... and needed what I can give him too. A whole nother B is waking up too, in this process of working to be together. And communicating that between us... just blew the overthinking, doubts, and uncertainty right outta the water (why do I think I'm going to use that analogy a lot more??? LOLOL). This is real & it's for all the marbles this time. It's "what you see is what you get"... simple. Happy is now a new flavor in both our lives - and we're not clinging to any one particular moment of it... instead we're creating ways to manifest that as often as we can.  IME, it's a rare and cherished thing to be loved, even when speaking a less than popular truth.  It's a rare thing to be with people who respect your views, even though they don't agree, or don't get what they want in the moment.  It feels like a good marker in relationship.  Does this person treat me with respect and kindness, even when receiving sometimes painful information?  Can they hear it?  Can they process and discuss it, and accept it, without trying to change it?

I feel kinda like I'm designing myself a new life role... and I think I know where I got the idea from; but of course, it needs to be tailored to me. And Buck.  Yup.

And I'm going to weave a new balance between left-brain competence and right-brain emotion & processing. It's already starting... and some of it, I'm not even directing. That's OK too.

I just love it when a plan works out. LOLOLOLOLOL.

The difficulties and challenges will lead to more strength and understanding, IME. Sometimes disagreement and discomfort are messengers....
something has to change. 

Nothing has to be broken.  A tweak is just a tweak and all relationships are navigated and morphing, as a matter of healthy course, IME.  You're surin'real good, ((Amber.))

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #297 on: August 03, 2020, 03:04:45 PM »
Hol still enjoys other people's little ones immensely. Yes, I think she'd still like to be pregnant and carry to term. She is more than wary about miscarrying again - which is understandable. But she tried some fertility Rx's (stuff for age; at 42 she has some peri-menopausal symptoms - that was about the age I started that mess too) and has since forsaken them. Like most things that affect our basic hormonal balance - she didn't like the effects and she also wasn't pregnant. She's not going to pursue things like that any further.

Hopalong

« Reply #298 on: August 03, 2020, 03:42:51 PM »
Welcome home, Buck!!!!!

I'm very happy for you both, Amber.

And especially glad for you that you see the over-thinking for the impediment it is, and are working not to get stuck there. Bravo. Not easy to undo long habits but nothing like falling in love to upend a lot of autopilot stuff.

It sounds to me as though you both have such positive impacts on each other, overall. And what a relief that B is now aiming for a safe, secure military retirement (if I remember the bureaucratic weirdness right).

Hol moving out? Oh that glorious day. No disrespect to her and I hope she'll be very self-sufficient and healthy in her own nest, which you have beyond-generously made possible.

Heading to Baltimore as the pandemic surges again? Dunno about THAT....

hugs
Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #299 on: August 03, 2020, 04:41:08 PM »
It's beyond interesting - and explanation - to my usual over-analyzed degree Hops. The over-thinking was a response to emotional fear (this is too good to be true). And yet - all the intuitive/emotional side of me kept saying: he means what he says; you aren't imagining this or wishing it into being in your mind; it's not a fantasy/delusion... based on old dependency issues.

The way out was simply asking if he meant what I thought he said; and getting that answer.

It's funny, Hol moving out and into the hut. She's not far from the house; and I'm sure I'm going to see her frequently and just hang out or work together. And she's a professional texter. LOLOL. IF she gets a signal down there. TBD for the moment. For both of us, it's another "new" experience. We're both happy that we've made sharing a house work for so long with only a couple major blowups (we each have our own records) along the way. I've got a little more legal stuff to do - a land lease agreement - until she inherits the whole kit & kaboodle. I will probably make some provision for B... but it's way too soon to think about that right now and he might have his own druthers on that topic.

For right now -- the future is still the future, and until all the major "planners" are here... we're simply going to finish what's been started and get ready for winter. That starts in August, on the farm, ya know. She and I haven't even had one of our usual daydreaming, what-if pow-wows for a while.  And unless she decides to travel this winter - situationally dependent of course - I think we're all going to be hunkered down and cozy for the winter.