Author Topic: Shame (the underside of narcissism)  (Read 6276 times)

Hermes

Shame (the underside of narcissism)
« on: February 05, 2008, 02:38:20 PM »
Morrison provides a critical history of analytic and psychiatric attempts to make sense of shame, beginning with Freud and culminating in Kohut's understanding of shame in terms of narcissistic phenomena. The clinical section of the book clarifies both the theoretical status and treatment implications of shame in relation to narcissistic personality disorder, neurosis and higher-level character pathology, and manic-depressive illness.

The Culture of Shame (1 Ed) by Andrew P. Morrison

(1)$25.00
The Widening Scope of Shame by Melvin R. Lansky

$46.70
Shame: The Exposed Self by Michael Lewis

$18.95
The Psychology of Shame: Theory and Treatm... by Gershen Kaufman

$54.00
Shame and the Self by Francis J. Broucek

Leah

• Joyous Discerner
Re: Shame (the underside of narcissism)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 03:02:54 PM »

Hi Hermes,

Have you read all of these books?

If so, which one do you recommend to read first?

What are your thoughts on the book;  "The Psychology of Shame" ?   (not heard of that before)

Many thanks,

Love, Leah
Jun 2006 voiceless seeking

April 2008 - "The Gaslight Effect" How to Spot & Survive by Dr. Robin Stern - freedom of understanding!

The Truth About Abuse VIDEO

Hermes

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 03:44:47 PM »
Hello Leah:

No LOL, I have not read them all, not any of them.  Just found them online and put them up as hopefully they might be of interest to someone.  At least now there is so much information available on mental health/illness topics,. and it is to be hoped that public awareness will be heightened.
I wish I had time to read everything I would like to read, even time to read all the wonderful works of fiction still on my list.  I wish my day had 48 hours! 

Way back, post-N, I managed to read a lot of stuff online, without having to actually buy all the books (they can be expensive!).  Mind you, I still think you can't get much better than Stalking the Soul, and the short book on narcissism by Dr. Jeremy Holmes, which do have. 

All the best
Hermes

Hermes

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 07:59:01 AM »
LOL Leah.  Just looking in on your Beatitudes thread (which is locked), and like the beatitude you added.  LOL.

All the best
Hermes