Author Topic: Relationship/s  (Read 96184 times)

lighter

Re: Relationship/s
« Reply #1005 on: April 23, 2022, 11:02:52 AM »
Amazing, Hops!! So glad pooch is on board and helping rather than mucking up the works.

I hope she doesn't regret her choices!

I love the idea of this new little spirit extending trust and receiving your tender care.  It's heartbreaking how devoted dogs want to be.

I'm going to dance about your happy story, Hops!  YES.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #1006 on: April 23, 2022, 11:34:59 AM »
My beloved Pooch is behaving like Florence Nightingpooch. I'm awed at her grace. She occasionally approaches for some personal bellyrubbing and reassuring (I explained she is the Queen of my universe and always will be, and Newgirl can be a princess if it all works out.)

Seriously, Pooch has surprised me (because she's dog-aggressive on leash). I think she's been lonely for a dog friend. When I talk to her (we have very detailed one-way conversations) about Newgirl, I swear she grasps a lot of it. I use a lot of simple terms and have said delightedly:

This is Pooch's puppy! Pooch has a puppy! Pooch has a new friend! (The latter is what I tell her every time a stranger comes to visit.) She's been a little confused but also wags her tail as those magic words. She just watches Newgirl and is peaceful.

Pooch at one time (before I adopted her) had puppies, they don't know how many litters. I felt that she carried sadness about them (it was recent as her teats were enlarged) and talked to her about that our first afternoon on the couch together. This may sound weird but I do believe in emotional communications with animals: I gently pinched her teats and said in absolute gentleness: I'm so sorry you lost your puppies. Pooch heaved a great sigh, and then relaxed. It was a powerful moment.

So, dunno exactly what will happen with these two, but they're coexisting very peacefully and Pooch seems quite careful around Newgirl's fragility. I've been emailing the foster team a few updates as Newgirl might have a respiratory problem, but it might be transient. I'll take her in for a checkup on Monday if she's not better. Otherwise, she's wagging her tail, follows me around.

She's so small and fragile (esp. with ribs sticking out) that I feel I'm living with a baby bird. She's just delicate. But very very sweet and I'm glad I fetched her.

Thanks for listening to all this!

hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

lighter

« Reply #1007 on: April 23, 2022, 10:38:53 PM »
Oh how terribly satisfying and gratifying your foster experience has been, Hops!  I think dogs are psychic, personally.  It sure seems pooch understands.

Keep updating.  What a lovely connection you've made.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #1008 on: April 24, 2022, 10:51:21 AM »
I'm certain she has bordatella and am a little frustrated they didn't tell me to bring her in yesterday (their clinic provides free care for the first few weeks). They wanted me to capture the coughing seizures (a few each morning) on video and I'm just too AM-foggy and fumbly with the dang new phone to get it on in time.

But I HAVE read multiple descriptions of a bordatella cough online, and it fits. I've emailed them again and wait for instructions. She is SO frail that getting pneumonia could kill her.

She was vaccinated mid-March but got it anyway. I had Pooch get the jab the day before brining newgirl home, but so far she seems fine.

Might move this stuff to a thread about Animals but gotta go do other stuff.

:(
Hops

Hopalong

« Reply #1009 on: April 24, 2022, 12:49:27 PM »
Overdoing the anxiety, I think. After the morning horrid coughing spasm she's been quiet. Not a lot of vigor but enjoying naps on the patio or curled by the big glass front door so she can watch the street (and the crows).

I forgot to mention that the bordatella vax does work (though it's no guarantee like any vax) -- and that if a vaxxed dog does get it, the case should be a lot milder. So despite the sound effects, I do think she'll be okay. Fingers crossed! She's lovely.

The SPCA foster team is excellent. They email daily and invite every question you've got. I described her symptoms/behavior in detail and today's foster-liaison asked great questions and she'll pass along the info to the clinic people. They'll decide whether she's urgent or tomorrow will be okay, or I should go pick up meds (some dogs weather bordatella without much intervention) etc. Plenty of support.

PS A doglady friend I send her pic to said 1) I'm in love, and 2) she looks like Pooch's Mini Me, just white (she's almost all white but some brown in her fur too).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 12:57:25 PM by Hopalong »

Hopalong

« Reply #1010 on: April 24, 2022, 06:23:59 PM »
I know, I'm certifiable around-the-bend old lady wacko.

BABY'S FIRST WORD!

She barked! At something out front (she likes the open door with full-length glass storm door). Kind of a little yodel-yap. Not annoying. Big surprise! And then she acted playful all of a sudden.

Damn I'm enjoying this. I've introduced her to two friends via Zoom. FUN.

Yup. Around the bend wacky old crow-dog-whatever thing has been my destiny.

hugs
Hops

lighter

« Reply #1011 on: April 24, 2022, 11:20:14 PM »
Eh...I spent my day talking to trees and bushes.  Tending to them.  Asking them if they want too live, so baby's first words is adorable to me!!!

Glad she's feeling better, Hops.

Light

Hopalong

« Reply #1012 on: April 25, 2022, 03:41:03 AM »
Thanks, Lighter.

As small a creature as she is, it's an adjustment. She's perking up and playful, I'm feeling the pressure of needing to housebreak a 5 y/o dog. She doesn't understand how a leash works either.

All will be well, it'll just take time and lots of patience. She's the perfect little addition for us though, I still believe. If in a week or so she's much stronger and safer and medically well, and if I then think I've bitten off more than I should've, then I'll have foster-prepared her to be strong enough to adjust to a new family. Hope that's not likely but it's a small possibility.

(Started quailing a little bit over heart fears. Half the time when I bend over for anything, I'm really light headed when I come up again and have to grab something, and the SOB - shortness of breath - is persistent. But soon I'll know. My test is the 2nd and f/u with cardiol the 4th.)

hugs
Hops

lighter

« Reply #1013 on: April 25, 2022, 11:51:01 PM »
Breathe, Hops.  Breathe and don't lean into fear. Try not to assume the worst if you can help it.

Worry and fear aren't helpful, IME.

I hope tests bring clarity and good news.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #1014 on: April 26, 2022, 11:34:49 AM »
You are so right.
I was losing the fear battle.

Here, today, daylight, two pooches napping and no new puddles indoors, having expressed it all both here and to poet friend...I'm breathing better.

Need to do self-calming or meditation FIRST. Before it builds.

lighter

« Reply #1015 on: April 26, 2022, 09:55:08 PM »
Yes to getting ahead of fear, ((Hops.))

Light

Hopalong

« Reply #1016 on: August 29, 2022, 12:46:11 PM »
(I need to keep that up, Lighter. It's my biggest challenge: getting ahead of fear.)

Meanwhile, today, there is no "relationship" -- just an upcoming first (perhaps a one-off, ya know) date. Fun to anticipate.

I'm about to cancel the dating site before it renews. But one guy popped up and I enjoyed what I read. Key things to me: A comment that indicates political fit (he's not conservative), identified as agnostic (a unicorn!!!) and his pix indicated a huge interest in trains (which my Dad loved). One pic of him in the cab was captioned "My office." He sounds intelligent, is living fully (traveling through states to see siblings and blues perfomances) and sounds very interesting. Not sure about any of the rest but he's emailed promptly and seems to be anticipating it too.

We're meeting late afternoon today for a glass of wine and then dinner at a little town in between. (He lives over the mountain, no big distance.)

Caveat: It's clear he's a serious cat man, and I'm genuinely allergic. Can't breathe living with a cat. Then again, amazingly, we're not at the living-together question. LOLOLOLOL!

I will of course report back. It's fun to tell y'all everything.

hugs
Hops

lighter

« Reply #1017 on: August 29, 2022, 02:24:16 PM »
Maybe have that glass of wine out of doors...... just in case the cat fur issue is more serious than ya'think.

You don't need an itchy nose and watering swollen eyes during the first chat, but lets see where this goes!

A lovely conversation over a glass or two of vino can be just that, or something more.

No expectations.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #1018 on: August 29, 2022, 02:47:22 PM »
Exactly. Anticipating but not expecting...I'm holding that distinction.

I'm only meeting people for any reason only outdoors (or one-off friend visits in my home where I can create sufficient fresh air circulation and seating distance). We're meeting where there's a nice open-sided tall outdoor tent, and I ain't hugging ChooChooCatMan regardless.

:)
hugs
Hops

PS I wouldn't mind about some itchy-sneezy reaction, it's just when my "reactive airways" can slam shut. Like asthma, but without wheezing.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 02:58:28 PM by Hopalong »

Hopalong

« Reply #1019 on: August 29, 2022, 10:13:02 PM »
Lovely man, fascinating life!
Had a great time!

Many differences but maybe no core ones.
Mutual click on several levels. Gorgeous eyes
and smile. Humble sorta Maine background,
steely about values. Hmmm.

Really enjoyed meself! We talked our heads off.

More later, wine's gotta wear off.

Night and hugs,
Hops

PS  Know what he said after I confessed my cat allergy? "We'd work around it."
Purrrrrrr.....
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 10:21:01 PM by Hopalong »