Author Topic: 2021 Farm Log  (Read 32574 times)

lighter

Re: 2021 Farm Log
« Reply #195 on: May 17, 2021, 01:15:11 PM »
Pooch!  You figured it out, Hops!  Well done.
Send more pics!

Amber, what fish are you planning to stock?

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #196 on: May 17, 2021, 02:25:58 PM »
Well I know I need a couple catfish. With the birds having free access to the pond, I have an algae problem. (Or did last year; it was dry so not a lot of circulation/fresh water added.) Then probably perch, bass & minnows to feed the bigger fish. The turnover of water isn't enough for trout.

There's a whole ecological science to maintaining healthy ponds. And I'm a beginner. So I'll probably pick brains at the fish farm.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

sKePTiKal

« Reply #197 on: May 21, 2021, 11:22:41 AM »
'morning. Hol is in anxious/excited prepatory trajectory for going away to work for about a month. Steve will hold down the Hut; and I will be able to feel a little more solitude... which I need... as Buck is working on the final countdown to moving here.

Heatwave means I'm not doing much planting right now. I will probably get the kitchen bed sown, today, when the sun comes around. And think about where I'm going to put medicinal herbs... and ordering some more seed. I can't plant jewelweed until fall. Might wash vehicles: the ranger looks like it was rode hard & put up wet -- as it really has for some time. B needs to give it an oil change & a good going over.

Contractor called to confirm some shop details before ordering materials - so that should be moving along. Garage doors for Hol's garage should be here next week... with siding following close behind; she's hoping the trench for running solar power out there gets done before she gets home. S is building permaculture raised beds and tending them, the birds, minding the dogs and checking on his patches of wild-cultivated good plants too: we have ginseng, goldenseal, cohoshes, mullein, mugwort, coltsfoot, etc etc... crazy amount of good plants in the woods. Including good mushrooms.

Stinker is now an in/out kitty - and given the vole carcasses, Freddy is teaching him to hunt. I saw Stinker playing with a chipmunk the other day; just playing - no kill instinct yet. Hol's 3 kittens & momma have all been neutered and are patrolling her area - except hers like to bring live ones inside.  :rolleyes:

Neighbors' cats have been around - and probably some strays are coming thru too. I saw a siamese up the driveway, once. Full on sealpoint. B's kitty is strictly an indoor cat. Coyotes haven't been around lately, but the owls & whip'owhills have both houses surrounded. And of course, our frog overpopulation is crazy deafening at night. I did run over a snake with the ranger in the driveway, but I must not've hurt it too badly - it was gone when I was done in the garden.

I've been quiet coz except for the work we're doing, or trying to get done... there's not much of interest going on. The reason Hol took this job on the pilot, is to make a final decision if she's going to try to keep that employment door open. But either way she goes - she's going to overthink, second guess, and have anxiety about her decision. Sigh.......  she's currently driving herself nutz worrying about Knuckles, Steve & me being able to maintain while she's gone. She hasn't worked in a year and a half. She's staying with a friend who live just outside the city - so that's safer for her. But the shoots are on location in some rougher neighborhoods. She doesn't have a lot of experience or faith in the dept coordinator - being used to her old one, that passed a year ago, who was extremely safety conscious, looked out for his people and was able to tell the bigshots NO, when they wanted to slapdash & take risks for an idea. And of course, there are all the covid protocols to deal with. She still hasn't seen a script; which speaks to the lack of organization or professionalism of mucky-mucks. She started seeing that inexperience (?) before her last job ended.

lighter

« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2021, 10:12:21 PM »
Sorry Hol is anxious about the job and being away, Amber.

When is she leaving?

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #199 on: May 22, 2021, 09:36:43 AM »
She'll leave some time Sunday, in time to get settled in her borrowed bedroom, eat and unwind. I mighta stepped on her toes when I said she doesn't have to exhaust herself "doing" around here; that she doesn't need to be needed that much.  ;)  Save her energy.

We have a couple days close to 90 this weekend before it starts to cool down and rain finally. I'm going to hide in the a/c.

lighter

« Reply #200 on: May 22, 2021, 01:41:49 PM »
Sometimes it feels like I'm stepping through a mine field....... watching what I say around my girls, Amber.

Food. University.  Employment...... lots of chances for upset, IME.

I understand.

Enjoy your AC.  I'm sure you'll find projects or relaxing activities to keep you as busy as you want to be; )

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #201 on: May 23, 2021, 09:00:40 AM »
Yep, I stumbled across a library of cat cartoons on youtube - Simon's Cat. They're funny! in a gentle & positive way.

In the evening, got a tearyeyed call from friend Deb. Long story, that came out kinda garbled, under the circumstances, but her family is trying to force sale of Mom's house... which means Deb loses home after caring for both parents. She had asked them to wait a year, for her to have enough time to deal with contents and sort out her situation. One of her brothers has lived there for a couple years too. I think he helped calm her down too. She and I will talk again today and try to come up with a strategy.

She went into debt to cover expenses - including mortgage payments - while taking care of the parents. So, she's been turned down for a mortgage to buy out the sibs because of debt to income ratio.

You can imagine how defeated and rejected she feels - that the sibs care more about their slice of the value of the house (which Deb has maintained as long as I've known her) - than their sister who didn't HAVE to do all that, but did  for Mom's sake. She already knows she can land here. We've even daydreamed about a tiny house situation - but that almost doubles her commute to work.

SIGH. She hasn't even had a chance to finish grieving, much less start thinking about the future of HER life. This pressure to sell Mom's house started almost before she was buried. If there is no compromise from the sibs - that means I only have ONE idea on a way to help, and then, the mortgage application is STILL iffy. And I dunno if she'd be OK with the idea. But I'll run it past her today anyway.

She really deserves a break. Poor girl slept most of the weekend she was out here.

lighter

« Reply #202 on: May 23, 2021, 09:51:05 AM »
Sorry deb is in that situation, Amber.  It reminds me of Hops' situation.  Just  wrenching.

If it's possible, and good for Deb, I hope she manages to swing that mortgage.

There may be silver linings starting somewhere fresh.  Linings she hasn't had a chance to consider?

She should be allowed to grieve. 

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #203 on: May 23, 2021, 10:31:23 AM »
Yeah, I thought about the opportunities in a completely fresh start. She wasn't in any frame of mind to entertain that last night. Potentially losing her home, right after mom just felt like overwhelming loss. Time for different perspectives will come.

IMO, it's always the right thing, to make space to grieve until you're done - always different that. But sometimes life doesn't afford the time to do that. She's very practical; tends to stuff feelings - and this isn't the first time, she's reached out for someone to listen, help her think, and support her through the eruption of emotion.

:me - gets that cold thousand yard stare:

Her own family are the problem here. Where's their grief? I only see greed & impatience. That makes me angry on her behalf. They better not parade their pious Christianity in front of me. All filters and inner censors will be out of commission. One reason I haven't inserted myself into that situation, actually. I'm well acquainted with it and my allergy to it. Instead, I've provided her a place to escape to. To step away from all that.

That still sounds like the wisest course of action. Her phone doesn't get great reception out here...   :D

lighter

« Reply #204 on: May 24, 2021, 10:29:06 PM »
People get funny about money, IME.  Sometimes their crazy really shows up. The hypocrchristians are harder to pput up with,  I agree.

Something about them...... their lack of shame. 

You're showing up for Deb.  This might be where she lets go of more than a house.

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #205 on: May 25, 2021, 09:57:55 AM »
Fingers crossed, Lighter -

my one idea was a way for her NOT to lose the house and also be able to raise the double-fisted single digit salute to her family. Then, walk away in peace. Done deal. Everyone gets what they SAY they want. I wasn't sure she'd be willing to accept that plan. She did. There is only one tricky spot with the plan, but I think I have a bit of security for her, there too.

I'm definitely feeling the shift in energy with this full moon - and coinciding solar flare - this week. Probably the reason I woke up so grumpy yesterday. Also, I'm starting to express my impatience with B's process delays in a steel & concrete clarity... but it feels obnoxiously whiny & needy. Not blaming him; it's truly out of his control at the moment and he's in waiting mode too. And he's impatient too. But he's already used up all available leverage options; maybe his old CO will come thru for him. And neither one of us are good at being powerless or helpless. I asked him point-blank, if he thought he could actually be moved in here THIS YEAR.  LOL.  He doesn't get all triggered or weird about me asserting myself; even in a smart-ass sarcastic negative way. That's completely unusual for me to deal with. I like it.

So I'm taking all this grumpy frustrated energy out on cleaning up the office, making paper that I don't need to keep disappear and organizing and relocating the keepers; and turning over dirt in the garden for tomatoes & peppers. I need to think about planting more seeds too - squash, cucumbers, etc. And probably get in some fermenting crocks. No cabbage this year; later. No sweet corn either. Takes too much room, attracts raccoons & deer like candy.

Rained all day yesterday. And cooled off more than the thermostat is set for, for ac last night. It'll be 93 tomorrow. I have to plan my manual labor (the heavier stuff) around the weather. But I'm also trying to adapt my sleep schedule to the cooler morning hours... that's hard. And physically, this kind of shift is the worst on me. Give me at least 3-4 days of the same kind of weather at a time, and I'll be ready for a change.

Hol's first day at work, sapped her energy completely. But so far things are going well here. Everything's continuing. One of the contractors was at the hut yesterday - but nothing's changed so not sure what's going on. I know what's SUPPOSED to happen this week; but hasn't yet.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 09:59:35 AM by sKePTiKal »

lighter

« Reply #206 on: May 25, 2021, 11:22:05 AM »
Yay for, Deb!  I bet you're thrilled she said YES to help.

Congrats to Hol for making it through her first day back at work.  Wiped out is better than crash and burn.  Stamina comes back pretty quick, ime.  I hope it gets easier for her soon.

Ride that wave of energy.... I'm riding mine too.  Beautiful sunny weather for it.  Need some rain. 

I admire how you're speaking your truth to B without feeling responsible for him or his feelings.  I love how he doesn't lose his cool when you express frustration.

Really nice to read.

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #207 on: May 25, 2021, 11:45:33 AM »
Yeah; it feels really strange that I don't have to tapdance around him Lighter. In fact, he's asked me to be as direct & blunt as possible because he can't deal with the "hints, clues, & mind-reading" crap at all. Just goes right over his head.

I understand that he's still at the mercy of a bureaucratic system that's arbitrary, capricious, infuriating, deaf and slow. And they DO. NOT. CARE. Not even for appearance's sake & reputation. And I know he has a lifetime of experience with them. I do not, except when it's been unavoidable. Like taxes & such. So I don't always understand how long processes take. I ask a LOT of questions and for 2 years, he's explained as best he can and I STILL don't get the lack of autonomy he experiences from "the system" -- who holds him hostage to healthcare, pension, etc.

Obviously, I have some strong feelings about that. So does he - but he can go hammer steel, till it passes.  LOLOLOL.

Last minute update to Deb's & my plans. I may be awol for the holiday weekend. I have things I need to do around the weather - PLUS the additional for accommodating others (which isn't a lot or time consuming; just my OCD needing to have things "ready" for a couple days of having her here; even though I KNOW she doesn't care that much.)

Hopalong

« Reply #208 on: May 25, 2021, 12:39:44 PM »
Deb is soooo lucky in your friendship, Amber. I hope the plan works and secures her home. Wow, what a gift to her.

What was Buck's reply to your question about whether he could move this year? You just have limits. And I admit I don't fully understand why his issues with the VA and general govt stuff prevent him from changing his address. Just don't get it. (I also worry whether he's avoidant of commitment but think you'd have sussed that out way back, wouldn't you?)

I'm so sorry for your wait, and awed by the way you forge forward despite it. You are an endurance machine, but I hope you'll continue to care for your soft parts too.

hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

sKePTiKal

« Reply #209 on: May 26, 2021, 10:19:22 AM »
I told him straight up at the beginning, the "terms" were no commitment. It just kinda grew there on it's own, after all this time. Yes, it will be this year was his answer. I said, I'll believe it when it happens.  ;)

That long process of accepting that there's no possibility of a lost loved one returning was still recent enough for me, to remind me to do what I needed to take care of myself and not abandon the goal of the farm. And Buck is making sure I don't just expect him to ride in and rescue me - that I remember what I can do on my own. Independently. That's a big part of his attraction to me. Independent, equal partners who care for each other - for who they are.

Despite the gov snafus and delays, I know he's been been making steady progress on his house, clearing his 20 years accumulation of "I might use this some day" junk, which he knows I don't have room or need for here and he no longer wants anchoring him... and dealing with all the old connections, the internal past and letting go. But my feelings are what they are; and it's my job to manage them without ultimatums or demands. Or asking for the impossible. I just know he'd be more uncomfortable and concerned if I DIDN'T tell him why I'd gone that quiet on  him. And he understands the effect of creating an expectation that isn't fulfulled, repeatedly. So he listens to me talk about my feelings, doesn't say I'm being silly or put me down for them; he understands I need him to know what my experience of the separations are like -- and patiently goes over where he is in the process again and does his best to explain again - this is how it works.

I still think, sometimes, that if he were actually ready to move - logistically, speaking - he could just do that and there wouldn't be much the gov could do about it except scramble to adjust to new circumstances. But it could indeed mean starting the whole process of extracting himself from that control over his healthcare, all over again. He isn't much interested in that option. I can see why. He's really close now, to being completely free of their "approvals" in his choice of docs, types of treatments, etc. I sure don't want him to jeopardize all that work for my impatient feelings!!!

Mike's mom, had a federal pension & healthcare as a widow and I remember her speaking about the difficulty of managing the complexity of it. B isn't just making an excuse here. I've already read the stories of other vets. It really really is making me think twice about signing up for medicare. I took on all of Jean's paperwork, her last year. I never was really sure I was at the end of things because of how the gov does things.

Once upon a time, I was pretty fluent in "bureaucratese". But I had to ask my CPA for help translating a couple letters from the IRS this year, because it took them 3 pages of words to say what CPA translated into two short sentences. And what I thought it meant on my read, was totally wrong.

I realized a little while ago that I didn't have season 3 Outlander in my disc library. I rectified that recently - and have been getting caught up on some parts of the story. Some more types of work along this line too - since I have my total solitude back again. Some more clues on long-held misconceptions/negative stuff about me... are turning up. Little connect the dots things that provide more insight/understanding. Even though Hol has her own space, she's in mine often enough that I seldom get these extended unbroken, unstructured stretchs of peace & quiet. And when crap bubbles up - I NEED this time - to chase things down, with my eyes open & head clear - and deal with the stuff at this level of the work. Yeah, I'm also doing some mindless productive work while that's happening too. Filing, organizing papers, dusting, weeding... etc.