Author Topic: losing myself while caring for toxic senior parents  (Read 3650 times)

denavajo

losing myself while caring for toxic senior parents
« on: March 16, 2004, 01:56:25 AM »
HELP!  The guilt of 54 years has resurfaced.  I have eaten, breathed and slept under a 'secret' toxic family all my life.  Now my parents are elderly and still pulling my strings.  Mom is in extended care..no problem.  Dad...is still controlling and making my life hell.  The nursing home says they won't accept him unless he goes for 3 weeks respite so they can monitor his behaviour (they are aware of his anger, outbursts, yelling at Mom, staff, etc.)  Meanwhile, he thinks it's all everyone else's fault but his own.  I am single and have financial problems.  Dad has helped me on occassion.  Now, he's holding that over my head.  I know I'm rambling, but I really need some support.  I had a major argument with my father tonight and told him that I was tired of his controlling me with money.  Even tho' I have had financial problems, he has chosen me to look after his finances.. I believe I have done a good job, but now he is accusing me of mismanaging his finances. (he acts like  millionaire even though he has been close to bankrupt several times and at the time I took over his finances  he had a grand total of 5600.00 Canadian in the bank (at the age of 85)....Suggestions or just a thought???

Wildflower

losing myself while caring for toxic senior parents
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 02:27:28 AM »
Hi denavajo and Welcome!

There are lots of people here who have more advice on this topic than I do, but you'll probably have better luck getting responses if you post on the other board.  

http://voicelessness.com/disc3/viewforum.php?f=2

This board is mostly for references and other external sources of help.

Good luck!

Wildflower
If you want to sing out, sing out
And if you want to be free, be free
'Cause there's a million ways to be, you know that there are
-- Cat Stevens, from the movie Harold and Maude