Author Topic: The island  (Read 341 times)

sKePTiKal

Re: The island
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2019, 01:41:22 PM »
The shop is where Buck works; I'm guessing that it wasn't all that bad - I've not really heard anymore about it. He's a mechanic and builds/works on motocycles. For now.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

lighter

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2019, 02:56:27 PM »
Buck.... who works on motorcycles.  It just seems right, Amber, lol.

My sib is going to the island this week, and I'm scrambling to get things together for the trip.  I really wanted to send silicon gel packs, but that doesn't look possible at this point.

I did get the beach towels, and wash clothes packed to go.... and the one coverlet I left in the dryer for the King bed.  They're taking the ferry, yuck, but it's a good way to carry stuff.  Planes are super expensive, and super limiting.   

I'll likely pick up a generator from the local hardware store when the next boat comes in.  Or sib will pick it up,  along with a full length mirror.  I've been  asking for one for weeks now.  Maybe on this boat.   I can't see how a relatively inexpensive portable generator would be helpful, bc A)  It would have to be fastened somehow, and locked in place, and 2) It would require gas, someone to start it, and stop it daily when renters are on the property.  I don't have anyone available willy nilly when the power comes and goes.  It's a PITA, but I'm not complaining.  I'm just trying to puzzle out how to make this thing work.  I'm grateful I still have a puzzle to puzzle over, honest.

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2019, 09:13:33 AM »
Well, it's a serious investment - but I swear by propane fueled, whole house generators. Now, the amount of electricity needed for everything has to be calculated so that you're not wasting money on anything too big; or undersizing it so that you can't keep the fridge going at the same time you're cooking... and you need to able to anchor/bury the propane tank.

In your situation, I know there are larger portables. It would make sense to have it adapted to run either gas, diesel or propane. You may not have much in Kw needs there. Add some solar panels and batteries to the "backup" system... and you might be alright. But yes, as you pointed out, you do need someone on-site to maintain it.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

lighter

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2019, 11:43:40 AM »
I have a card for the island generator supplier.  Will see how things work there.

Sub ready to build smaller cottages and build business.  It makes me feel vulnerable, and anxious.

Hopalong

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2019, 08:22:23 PM »
I would feel that way too in your shoes Lighter.

Do those feelings invite you to reconsider your effort and investment there, or does it still feel like a good direction for your time and energy?

I have confidence you'll consult your inner self and come to the right answer, whatever it is, which is yours to claim.

Support and calm...
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

lighter

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2019, 06:26:17 PM »
I'm inviting my feelings on this topic, Hops.

I have to make peace with the fact there's no good answers, IMO.

I feel like a cat with a piece of ham on it's face.  I can't find a way around the problem just now.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2019, 09:43:31 PM »
You will, Lighter.

I love that you're respecting your intuition.

The answer will come.

Hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."