Author Topic: Health Updates  (Read 21789 times)

Hopalong

Re: Health Updates
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 11:03:53 PM »
Thanks, Garbanzo and Lighter...
it really means a lot to have people care.

I can't say there's NO stress, as I still struggle with being sedentary, retreating into junk food, unhealthy self-soothing stuff. Big adjustment going on, which I'll talk about over on Relationship soon.

Will keep you posted on health stuff! A weird one is a big chlorine or swimmer's rash. Uncomfortable and ugly. I'm frustrated because the swims were helping.

hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

lighter

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2019, 12:18:50 PM »
I've heard of swimmers's ear, but not swimmer' s rash, Hops.  Does chlorine usually give you a rash?
Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 01:22:06 PM »
Never did before. But I do have extremely fair, aging skin. Could be the chlorine (looks most like the pix) or perhaps a combo of sunscreen plus chlorine. Or both atop some minor sun exposure. I only use aloe and coconut oil on my skin, plus sunscreen. And it was weird, the way it appeared primarily on the upper side of the central section of my arms. Oddly, I wondered if that had anything to do with how I was using them as "oars" in my swim-walking before I got the monitor off. Fairly forcefully and that section would've had the most water pressure. So mebbe that forced chlorine microscopically more deeply into skin there? Weird, weird.

I'll wait until it calms down (steroid cream meanwhile) and when it's back to my normal, try a pool again. Maybe switch to the big indoor Y one, though I think it has more chlorine than M's (where you can barely scent it). I'd like to swim there in winter if I can.

Fudge.

xo
Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 02:41:35 PM »
Salt water pool, Hops. There's a gentle, chemical process that generates a lower % of chlorine on a regular basis, so it's not ever highly concentrated in the water. M can probably convert his. There's very little difference in maintenance.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

Hopalong

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2019, 05:21:25 PM »
Ahh, I wish. M's own pool in Costa Rica is saltwater, but this one is shared in his neighborhood. It's a small swank development but very few use the pool. No idea how it's maintained but he says he can ask.

hugs
Hops

lighter

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2019, 03:26:25 PM »
 Yikes, make sure no parasites are involved with the rats, Hops.  I googled swimmers rash, and that popped up first.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2019, 09:49:10 PM »
Yup, read them both.
No rats or waterfowl on view, but I'll head for the skin doc if it doesn't clear up soon....

hugs
Hops

Meh

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2019, 03:13:55 PM »
Eh, it's not much help but I know of someone who was getting constant rashes from their hot tub, they switched to enzymes to treat the water and the rashes stopped. If you're in a public pool there is no way you can control how they treat the water.

I think a lot of people get rashes from the standard chemicals.

Hopalong

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2019, 01:55:33 AM »
I think you're probably right, G...
it's just a new hassle.

But this too shall pass.

I'll swim again if I have to cover meself with petroleum jelly first!

So glad you got some good sleep.

:)
Hops

lighter

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2019, 09:20:14 PM »
*Rash not rats.

::nod::

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2019, 04:01:28 AM »
Oh Hops I hope all this has cleared up now, I must admit that what's in the water is what puts me off swimming.  Public pools here are revolting, so much chlorine your eyes sting, bits of hair and old plasters, urgh!  It makes me shudder.  And friends who've worked as life guards and have all sorts of horror stories about people peeing, pooing and vomiting in the pool, honestly it has turned my hair grey.  We have tidal pools not a million miles away but they're not covered by life guards and I'm not the strongest swimmer so I worry a bit about using them (definitely wouldn't do it with son, might venture in by myself but have a terribly irrational fear of freak waves sweeping in and carrying me out to sea).  Anyway, I'm digressing, whatever the cause I hope it's getting better now.  Have you heard any more about the monitor results yet? xx

Hopalong

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2019, 02:17:15 PM »
Skin's just about back to normal, Tupp.
Haven't heard the monitor results yet (they'll go right here when I do)!

I'm hesitating on swimming today as I just don't want it to start up again.
And might be needing a day off all these intense convos with M about the
future.

I discover (and re-discover) that I can get overstimulated when I don't
control what I'm absorbing, no pun intended.

After some intense convos about houses, moving, timing, money, all
that...then I spend hours reading about end of life care (horrifying state
of it in the US) and sexism and politics and I've just trashed my capacity
to self-soothe enough to get back on a nice sleeping schedule.

It's gonna be okay, it's just difficult at times. M can accelerate and so
can I and to maintain serenity I just need to do some escapist mental
soothing.

That's sure part of health.

hugs
Hops

Meh

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2019, 01:41:47 AM »
Yeah the recent talk about houses etc. seems to be moving quickly and sounding serious fast.

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2019, 04:54:40 AM »
Skin's just about back to normal, Tupp.
Haven't heard the monitor results yet (they'll go right here when I do)!

I'm hesitating on swimming today as I just don't want it to start up again.
And might be needing a day off all these intense convos with M about the
future.

I discover (and re-discover) that I can get overstimulated when I don't
control what I'm absorbing, no pun intended.

After some intense convos about houses, moving, timing, money, all
that...then I spend hours reading about end of life care (horrifying state
of it in the US) and sexism and politics and I've just trashed my capacity
to self-soothe enough to get back on a nice sleeping schedule.

It's gonna be okay, it's just difficult at times. M can accelerate and so
can I and to maintain serenity I just need to do some escapist mental
soothing.

That's sure part of health.

hugs
Hops

Yes, absolutely the same for me, Hops, I get very deeply affected by all sorts of things that I absorb without even realising I'm absorbing them sometimes.  It's a difficult one to spot and I find, that, like you, when I get overstimulated, I tend to overstimulate more, instead of working to wind down.  It's a hard loop to get out of.  I do try to avoid news in all its forms now.  Just too much for me to cope with.  I do my little bit each day and I put my cross in the relevant box when asked to.  I feel like I know enough about the world to know there are massive problems so I try to avoid loading myself more with things I can't do anything about.  I do enough stressing about son!  And yep, end of life care here is awful too.  It's one of the reasons I started thinking about intentional communities.  Just feeling that other people are around can be a big tonic, I find.  Not that I'd expect others to care for me, but just having people around might put off the need for care, if I'm lucky.

Glad to hear the rash has cleared up and I hope they get the monitor info back soon (Or not?  Have you not thought about it or would you rather know what it showed?) xx

Hopalong

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2019, 11:38:51 AM »
Thanks, Tupp.

I do want (need, actually) to know what the cardiac data is. Because if I have afib, then I'll be put on strong blood thinners for the rest of my life. If I don't have it, I won't have to take them. I'll be automatically informed when the results are in.

It is taking a verrrrrrrry long time to get them but the neurologist said that info from the outside company (device manufacturer) can take a while and it's variable. So I'll just wait.

I'm feeling okay so not too anxious about it. Que sera, sera....

Hugs
Hops