Author Topic: Health Updates  (Read 21806 times)

lighter

Re: Health Updates
« Reply #165 on: February 08, 2021, 03:52:01 PM »
I'm so glad you're feeling joy over your poem, Hops.  What an amazing shift from a bit of self care.

:: crossing fingers::
I hope it's published soon.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2021, 03:39:25 PM »
Thanks, Lighter. Finding out I could push out a poem, and a good one, was a massive relief.

Found out what the recent brain-event was actually diagnosed as. They're all on the same curve, I think, but rather than a TIA, this was a PSR. Its real name is almost as fun as "gloomy scale" -- the thing that my big front tree expired from. Love that term so much (what else should a poet croak from?) that it's going in my funny obit.

PSR stands for Post-Stroke Recrudescence. I love it!! I KNEW there was crud in my brain. Anyway, it means that the same symptoms one had with an original stroke reappear -- less severe, and not lasting.

All in all the vulnerability is real but I really felt better today. A friend alerted me to a free online workshop on stroke prevention and treatment, and it was just somehow comforting to be there with other folks, and think about how even if the worst should happen, I wouldn't have to face it alone.

Very cheering. And the other day, after the Neuro followup for which my lungs had slammed so far (I was severely short of breath walking a short way) -- the next day I recovered a bit of will power and walked -- we're talking one short block and back -- lungs whamming all the way, feeling dizzy and crud-y. Next day, did it again a little farther and lungs were still unhappy, still felt dizzy and weak. Today, did it again a little farther still and lungs were less unhappy and I was minimally dizzied.

So there. Hops, the knowitall medical writer, rediscovers the wisdom of baby steps, incremental changes, and all that stuff she's known forever. It wasn't the knowledge I rediscovered, it was enough will and courage to do it despite my neurotic avoidance. So that's VERY encouraging.

And it leaks into everything. Got up today, did the online workshop, then tidied kitchen, folded AND PUT AWAY laundry, did some (are you ready?) paperwork, and now am off to Zoom with Quirk shortly.

M just got his second shot (he has bad reactions) and will be touch to moan on the phone and I'll be fine offering friend-comfort.

love y'all, hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

lighter

« Reply #167 on: February 26, 2021, 07:28:57 PM »
Thanks for that update, Hops.

I'm glad you're rolling into activity and community.

You sound real good.

Anything more on that lovely poem to report.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #168 on: February 26, 2021, 08:33:18 PM »
Thanks, Lighter.
I do feel good.
I hope to have another day like that tomorrow!

My writing-work mind will be working on my poet friend's book galleys for the next day or so.

The poem is what it is (and finished). I'm grateful, but I do not push myself to publish. It'll go out some day but I don't anticipate the process. (Tends to jinx it.) The gratitude and relief are through the ceiling!

hugs
Hops
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 08:45:34 PM by Hopalong »

lighter

« Reply #169 on: February 26, 2021, 09:08:22 PM »
::happy clapping::

Hear hear to gratitude and relief, Hops: )

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #170 on: February 28, 2021, 10:41:45 AM »
I'm all for baby steps, Hops, we've all got to start somewhere and baby steps around the block today turns into nice, enjoyable walks at some point in the future.  I'm glad they've got a name for it (and a funny one at that), and that there's a group you can contact for advice and information.  It does help; I find just being able to talk to people who've tried various things to help with the problems can be a help.  Have they given you any specific things to do or is a general 'keep as healthy as possible' sort of thing? xx

Hopalong

« Reply #171 on: February 28, 2021, 12:35:48 PM »
I'm seeing my main doc on Tuesday to talk through the best approach. They don't even have to tell me, I know that my relapse into pure sedendaritude for a year+ has had big consequences. I had a busy happy day (including baby-walk) day before yesterday, and doing all sorts of things around the house, then yesterday the anvil on my chest returned. All day in bed.

This is periodic shortness of breath like I've never had before, so that's why I'm seeing my doc. Felt like concrete in the bottom of my lungs. I just want more knowledge, and then a plan. (I even have wondered if I had Covid-19 without knowing. But now that I've had jab #1, I don't know if they'd be able to tell.)

I believe I need structured and supervised exercise 3x/week again. I did it before for just a couple months (at a hospital-based center where you wear a monitor for the first several times and your heart is actively monitored while you walk or use machines, then you just continue to come and sign in and work out there). For me, that context is comforting. Once I understand what's causing all this and baby steps add up to confidence in my body again, I'll do it more often alone. (Points to fears of collapse on sidewalk with Pooch running off in panic and other walkers have gone home for dinner....)

I'd be willing to start at that center any time if I learn about vaccination requirements, masking, air exchange, etc. (One of those buildings with sealed windows.) If they're not reassuring, I'll wait until a few weeks after jab #2.

hugs
Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #172 on: February 28, 2021, 01:13:08 PM »
Hops, there's a lot to be said for a structured, dedicated workout time & place. Especially when you're trying to remember where you left your motivation. Mine's around here somewhere... can't remember the last time I grabbed onto it.

I am still struggling with myself over how superficial exercise seems to me - when I could be working & accomplishing needed tasks at the same time. Nevermind - that a lot of my tasks are going to require some exercise in preparation to be ABLE to do those tasks... pfffffffttt.... we don't need no steenkin' preparation....

:most exercise of today = rolling my eyes that hard at myself:

Heck, I'm even finding I'm not accessing the usual competitive streak I have, now that Hol is beginning to lift weights again. I'm currently trying to bribe myself to do some simple, age-appropriatie, body weight core muscle work - using Buck as bait. But it's nice and warm under my blanket; I just had a large brunch... and it's raining so much I just want to stay warm and be a slug.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #173 on: March 02, 2021, 03:59:15 AM »
I hope the doc can come up with something helpful, Hopsie.  I know with me that when I start to feel a bit better I overdo it and knock myself out again.  Son's situation is the same; we really have to avoid doing too much and it's very difficult when you feel good and want to get on.  Hopefully the doc can come up with a way to build up slowly and avoid the crashes in between the good bits.

The fear of collapsing is horrible; again, I have the same with son - if we're somewhere off the beaten track and he goes over I can't lift him and it does restrict things.  An unwanted but necessary issue to deal with.  The only thing I can think of (other than only ever walking with others, which isn't practical) is setting up with two or three friends that you text/email/phone one of them with where you're heading and what time you'll be back.  It's a pain but at least it means if something did happen, someone knows where you are and can come and find you (especially as we know from the time you fell that Pooch isn't likely to do a Lassie and go off and get help :) ).

I hope the doctor visit is hopeful.  It's very difficult to adjust to life being different and having to do things in a different way, in my experience, but hopefully the doctor will have some useful information and advice and you'll be able to put something together that works best for you xx

Hopalong

« Reply #174 on: March 02, 2021, 01:20:07 PM »
LOL! Pooch "do a Lassie" ... she'd probably go looking for her tapdancing sheep friends and they'd all stand around discussing the weather.

Thanks for the support, y'all. I will be clear and organized in my questions and I'm sure my doc will be helpful. He's great.

hugs
Hops

Hopalong

« Reply #175 on: March 10, 2021, 05:13:09 PM »
Doc WAS great.
(He's lost at least 30-40 pounds since I saw him 6 months ago and I worry that he may have a serious illness. Love the man, so hoping it's just...something passing.)

He hears me. He understands I got sedentary and then more neurotic. He agrees the structured/supervised exercise is the right thing to do, and wrote a referral. I'll start that early next month.

He was concerned I could be at risk for pulmonary embolism, took a blood test, and it is completely normal. Whether the SOB is neurotic or physical, same diff. And same plan.

Other measures are fine too, and my job is just to move ahead with baby steps and a lot of intentional self care and kindness.

I feel better!

hugs
Hops

lighter

« Reply #176 on: March 10, 2021, 07:53:57 PM »
Yay, Hops!  So glad you feel better!

Light

Hopalong

« Reply #177 on: March 11, 2021, 05:44:09 AM »
Thanks, ((((Lighter))))!

Just a heads up for those not yet jabbed, my experience anyway. Jab #2 is the one most likely to give you a reaction, I'd read. M had a BIG one (fever and chills and more and mildly delerious for two days). I'm right now having a mild one that woke me at 3am. Suddenly the arm got quite sore and I've had SOB, chest aches, mild nausea and now mild chills. Had none of it after Jab #1. Hope it'll be short lived.

It's not awful, truly. Just not feeling good enough to push through today (was the cleaner day -- I usually go somewhere else for 4 hours). Cancelled her and everything else I had on and am just going to be lazy. Got soup and rice ready and all is well.

I feel an interesting combination of gross and gratitude! Mostly the latter and it's nothing to complain about compared to the relief of knowing the immune system's on the job.

hugs
Hops

lighter

« Reply #178 on: March 11, 2021, 07:07:19 PM »
I heard the second shot can be tough.  Glad you're not alarmed....glad you're observing self care.  Cherries Garcia should help: )

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #179 on: March 11, 2021, 07:55:31 PM »
Cherries Garcia evolved into a small veggie pizza delivery later in the day.
(M made excuses as it wasn't really "medicinal" -- the ice cream. Hot air man!)

No regrets!

LOL

Hops