Author Topic: Mindfulness and codependence thread  (Read 83972 times)

Twoapenny

• Becoming
Re: Mindfulness and codependence thread
« Reply #390 on: October 25, 2020, 01:29:16 PM »
Lighter I had a very vivid dream about you last night and it was so real I woke up panicking that I hadn't made the spare bed up for you!  Lol.  In the dream you came to visit me in my home, which wasn't my current home but a flat with lots of rooms and long corridors.  You were wearing a very vivid pink dress and you'd brought me a lorry load of vegetables that I was busy cutting and prepping for the freezer, along with a stack of travel books for me to read.  We went outside to get some more vegetables from the lorry but then couldn't remember which door was the right one as there were dozens of them and none of them had numbers, so we had to try them all, whilst trying to hold on to all the potatoes and cauliflowers.  Lol.  I've no idea what a dream analyst would make of that but it felt so real I was half expecting to find boxes of veg in the kitchen when I came downstairs this morning :)  lol xx

lighter

« Reply #391 on: October 25, 2020, 02:26:52 PM »
 I'm taking a moment to pack up my father's lake house to check on the board, and..
You're dream brought tears to my eyes, ((Tupp.))

You know I was checking flights your way a few years ago.  I can absolutely picture that visit with you.  Your dream made me so happy: )

Lighter

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #392 on: October 26, 2020, 07:31:57 AM »
I'm taking a moment to pack up my father's lake house to check on the board, and..
You're dream brought tears to my eyes, ((Tupp.))

You know I was checking flights your way a few years ago.  I can absolutely picture that visit with you.  Your dream made me so happy: )

Lighter

It was so vivid, Lighter, although I'm still not sure how significant the cauliflowers were :)  Lol, I would so love to come over there and meet all of my board buddies one day, that would be such an amazing get together :) xx

lighter

« Reply #393 on: October 27, 2020, 01:13:29 AM »
We LOVE cauliflower in this house, Tupp: ) 

All kinds of ways, so it's funny you dreamed I brought a lorry full to you.

We just made 5 batches of veggie soups, and I've been enjoying them so much.  What an odd coincidence you had that dream.

I think we will have a visit one day, btw.  I'm not sure how or why, but I feel it' s a matter of when, not if.

Lighter

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #394 on: November 04, 2020, 11:33:28 AM »
An amazing thing happened last week.  I found VHS tapes my father put together from old family 8mm film.

It was jarring to see my Grandparents, youngand strong.  So active.  Training horses.  Trotting my baby father around on a pony.  Super fit.  Charismatic.  My father's naughty uncles in Naval uniforms, jumping on horses, ruding like movie stars....it looked dangerous and exhilarating.

Then the years passed and my father became an active toddler, child, teen and young adult...getting married with naughty uncles in his wedding.

By naughty, I mean mysoginists....lacking empathy for animals.  I saw my Great Grandfather....the man who raised and beat my paternal Grandmother bloody....saw him moving and interacting in the family.  The uncles marrying.  Having babies....cousins flipping around together, doing cartwheels and younger cousins trying it too.

Lots of emotions, but mostly this truth...
we don't understand how fast life goes by, then it's over.  You can see my Grandparents, SO busy, didn't know those moments would be gone so soon.  Like they were trying to tell me to WAKE UP!

I saw what my FOO was....what they loved...what they lost and left behind.

I want more of the things I love.  To protect them fiercely and limit wasted time and people who take my attention from what's important to me.

I can feel when I'm on my path.  It's not everyone's path.  It's mine and everyone doesn't have to approve of it.

Lighter

« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 12:02:38 PM by lighter »

Hopalong

« Reply #395 on: November 04, 2020, 12:08:13 PM »
It's mine and everyone doesn't have to approve of it.

A big fat Amen to that, Lighter! Good for you.

Glad you found so many layers of meaning in the old movies.
Sounded like a very clarifying moment.

hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

lighter

« Reply #396 on: November 04, 2020, 02:03:55 PM »
Thanks, Hops.

I walked outside with the Pug and started picking up sticks and weeds....Halloween decorations....had truck towed to beloved mechanic....helped ailing neighbor get groceries inside....will get card from their roofer, currently sticking shingles off the roof.

What I noticed was other people's voices pressuring me to do what's important to them.....all in my head, if course.

That's stopping.....now, as I notice it.

I stopped bargaining with myself, which was a type of pressure leading to nothing good.

Now, I'm going to end the adrenaline shots  running through my life.  Taking care of other people's feelings and what they feel are priorities, for me.  Reacting to their anxiety shuts down my ability to assess and process, prioritize and respond.

Codependence, Lawdy, deliver me from it.

At least I'm aware and not auto judging what comes up.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #397 on: November 04, 2020, 03:05:25 PM »
Taking care of other people's feelings and what they feel are priorities, for me.  Reacting to their anxiety shuts down my ability to assess....

Yegods, Lighter. That's SO wise. The anxiety hijack and how it interferes with healthy caring. You must've been a fly on the wall in my T session just now!

Plus, I really like the term "auto judging." That is really apt. And helpful.

hugs
Hops

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #398 on: November 05, 2020, 05:06:21 AM »
That sounds amazing, Lighter.  So nice to find those videos and realise how much of life we need to experience now, without judgement or worrying about everyone else.  Yes.  A great way to be and such a nice way to move forward now.  Well done you xx

sKePTiKal

« Reply #399 on: November 06, 2020, 06:37:50 AM »
YAY to owning your path and not apologizing or trying to justify it to anyone! That's what I call freedom these days. Freedom from what others tried to make us into; what we did to ourselves to insure that things stayed calm and predictable in the home... etc ad boredom of the same old same old.

There must've been so many answers (subtle, subliminal things along with the outright AHAs) captured in those films that solved some long-perturbing puzzles or riddles for you. What a treasure trove!
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

lighter

« Reply #400 on: November 06, 2020, 08:14:14 PM »
Everything feels different.  I don't question it much.  I'm just grateful when another shift happens.  I wonder what's next, and notice how little fear there is. 

I know bc every once in a while a little thread whacks me upside the head....and I think....
I remember you.

Lighter

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #401 on: November 07, 2020, 05:57:30 AM »
That sounds so great, Lighter, especially as the old stuff pops up but you just notice it as a memory, nothing more.  So amazing to read.  Do you think the lockdown/pandemic reduced the number of different things you had to manage and so made it easier for this focus to kind of settle in or do you think it was just time for this to happen after so much work and so many years of striving to get to an easier place?  Just curious with regards to your insights, I'm so happy that this is happening for you :) xx

lighter

« Reply #402 on: November 07, 2020, 11:44:03 AM »
Things are rolling....mostly rolling.

I catch the shockingly negative thoughts....it feels like always.  They're fewer and fewer, then....bam.  An old ONE pops up. No longer familiar.  I greet it with surprise and send it on its way like a way.....no hard feelings. Just... I don't have space or need or the ability to afford it any longer.  I want other things.

The less shocking negative thoughts sometimes slip in and thrum through my body before I notice them.  It's less upsetting...
now.  More interesting.  I'm curious about them. Eager to meet them now.  In the light.  I invite them.

It's the attention to somatic feelings, as it becomes habit,  bringing the tension/ pain/anxiety/fear, etc to my attention at that point. THEN, I SEE it.

I remember when my girls learned to check in with their teachers and peers.  I'm doing that with myself.  Trying to model it for the girls without.....bugging them. 

It's a mistake to look at the news.  I walked with youngest DD in the woods yesterday.  She has an art project and wanted a stream with a concrete bridge in jusssst the right light as reference material.  She likes the round metal pipes the eater rushes through.

Going into nature is a super helpful thing.  I have leaves to blow....the happy moss is full of sporaphytes now.  The gutters and steep riif need attention.  I gave a huge amount of moss to my buddy....some to a helpful neighbor for his new koi pond.

The time I spend with my daughters is so precious to me.  There's joy walking into recently created sacred space in the laundry room.  Almost done....but it feeels amazing.

The quiet time with my girls, one in one and less often together, is a few warm layers deeper into focus and joy and BEING right where I belong doing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing.

The rest lines up behind and because of the care and attention and creation....the noticing joy.

I ate a salad with roasted turkey, 2 Tbs fresh ground flax seeds, lime juice, raw apple cider vin and pink salt....it just appeared without thinking about it.  No bartering or shaming involved.  Most of all...no pressure of SHOULDs going on in the back of foreground.  Just choosing joy and doing...chopping and carrying has more space to BE when I limit the voices and the SHOULDs, ime.

I guess it's the same zone that used to come and go mysteriously.

It feels a bit like conjuring now, which is super empowering...super joyful.  Not that life us all joy and mindfulness, bc it's not.

What it is...
And I wrolite this out, again, more for myself, is unconditional self compassion ( it gets easier, more familiar) a duty to remain curious and refusal to judge.....anything, if I can help it.

I do nothing perfectly.

Everything ebbs and flows.  It's ok.  It's exactly how it's supposed to be....even when I lose the thread.  Off trail has lessons and useful information.

Sort of like a dog's attitude about smells.  None are good or bad, though we dont agree about that.  We judge....a good bit, and it's interesting to stretch and see it, or smell it, the way dog's do.  Poop, flowers, bacon and BO are simply information for them.  They don't recoil.  They smell information, and they don't judge it.

At least that's my understanding, and what would life be if I reached that level if curiosity about everything....snd kept moving in my moments.

What.
A.
Rant, but super satisfying to write out.

Last night I made a complicated Korean StonecBowl dish both girls loved.  I was frustrated and overwhelmed on and off during the process, bc I'd detailed the stove and cook top, counters earlier in the day.  The dish was a bunch if little messy bombs going off, and I was the cause.

Then I'd notice, bring myself back to center, remember I'm making beautiful food from freezer items....the effort to empty both freezers has begun, and go back to enjoying the clean, the ingredients, the thought of sharing an amazing meal, and that zone found me again and again, but easier each time.

::sigh::

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #403 on: November 07, 2020, 02:05:41 PM »
Really, really lovely to read, Lighter.
The balance and undeterred intention of your direction.

The way a toxic thought oozed to the surface and it was
no longer familiar.

I loved that!

So glad to read all this balance of happiness and focused
intentional contentment. Wonnnnnderful depiction.

Yay,
Hops

lighter

« Reply #404 on: November 08, 2020, 04:34:59 PM »
Thank you, Hops. 

Tupp....I think the pandemic is a piece of it, but all the study and new T and coping strategies are larger factors.

If we'd cleaned out Dad's house 2 years ago, it would have been a different experience, for sure.

It feels like I have the chance to see and feel farther than before....or beyond reactivity...consistently, as a choice.

It feels like I'm stepping into what I used to only glimpse and memontarily touch.

Like I'm beginning to inhabit that space.....as byproduct of new habits, rather than purposefully DOING it or trying to get there, etc.

And experiencing positive things, unexpectedly, isn't so amazing or surprising now.  I guess I'm getting used to this new norm.

The pandemic happening, when it did or after a lot of work with new T, probably moved things along faster bc it was real challenge and fear we (T and Lighter)worked through together....I wasn't on my own or overwhelmed for long. 

More pandemic  isolation, with T's support, was practice and space, rather than unresolved additional trauma and isolating feelings of being cut off...I guess.

Being introverted was helpful too, of course.

Lighter