Author Topic: What's New for 2020?  (Read 10061 times)

CB123

• It's never to late to be what you might have been
Re: What's New for 2020?
« Reply #495 on: July 12, 2020, 03:45:17 PM »
I know exactly what you mean about the space, Tupp. I'm making a conscious decision to keep areas empty and it feels very good.  I have a single upright chair on one wall in my room and I am resisting filling the space around it. I enjoy looking at it with nothing on it or crammed next to it. I'm trying to create more spaces like that.

I enjoy hearing about how you are making your space work. Today was a day for digging in my files and I would like to say here and now that it was NO FUN. But it was filed and everything orderly and I was able to do taxes with minimum (not zero) angst.

What are you hearing about your area opening up? I follow BBC on facebook so I have a general idea from that.

CB
When they are older and telling their own children about their grandmother, they will be able to say that she stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way -- and it surely has not -- she adjusted her sails.  Elizabeth Edwards 2010

Twoapenny

« Reply #496 on: July 12, 2020, 04:23:18 PM »
I know exactly what you mean about the space, Tupp. I'm making a conscious decision to keep areas empty and it feels very good.  I have a single upright chair on one wall in my room and I am resisting filling the space around it. I enjoy looking at it with nothing on it or crammed next to it. I'm trying to create more spaces like that.

I enjoy hearing about how you are making your space work. Today was a day for digging in my files and I would like to say here and now that it was NO FUN. But it was filed and everything orderly and I was able to do taxes with minimum (not zero) angst.

What are you hearing about your area opening up? I follow BBC on facebook so I have a general idea from that.

CB

Ah, paperwork CB, it's one of those jobs that needs doing but it just isn't nice to do.  But getting things ordered and knowing where you can find stuff you need does help.  And yes to space!  It does make such a difference.  Just in the way things feel and how the room looks overall.  Less is more and all that.

The overall rate where we are is low, which is good.  Everyone I've spoken to round here has been taking precautions and if we go out people are generally keeping their distance so that is good as well.  It is a holiday area, though, and they're opening up the holiday parks and camp sites now, so people are worried about visitors from other parts of the country (where rates are much higher) bringing the virus with them.  Shops are open again; I've not been near them and people I know around here are all staying away as well - everyone I know has someone in their family who's vulnerable and people just aren't taking chances, which I think is good.  They opened the pubs last weekend and by 10.30 on the Saturday night the police were tweeting that things were getting out of hand and everyone needed to go home, which was inevitable.  I personally find drunk English people a huge embarrassment; there have been reports of them smashing up bars and fighting in Spain over the weekend and they do the same here.  So I would avoid town on a Saturday night anyway and there's no way you'd get me in a pub with this virus around!  We went to the library in the week and walked past two cafes on the way; both were quite busy and are also places I'll be staying away from.  I think the Government advice has been so slack and contradictory that a lot of people do think it's just like getting the flu and it's not really a problem now.  That's the only reason I can think of for people eating out right now; you wouldn't catch me doing it :)  How are things in your neck of the woods, is it still bad? xx

Hopalong

« Reply #497 on: July 12, 2020, 09:39:22 PM »
It's overwhelming and what saddens me most is seeing how our indulged and apathetic recent generations have lost that spirit of sacrifice and teamwork that WWII brought out. Even black soliders who were segregated and prevented from many elite jobs fought their hearts out anyway. Likewise Native Americans, without whose Code Talkers we would have lost the war.

I hope the new massive energy of the next generation will bring us back together, because it's heartwrenching how much selfishness has come into the national character. Grown adults throwing hissy fits in businesses because our nation needs them to wear a face covering is just an indictment of half of our culture, imo.

CB, I hope your kids stay safe...and hero credits to them. Same to you Tupp, for doing what you are to protect a vulnerable son.

It's everyday ordinary heroes that will help us become a better society. Hopefully better leaders will fill the horrible vacuums at the top next elections.

hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

Twoapenny

« Reply #498 on: July 13, 2020, 03:21:14 AM »
Yes our state is one of the worse. We had 10,000 new cases in one day yesterday. ONE DAY.

Its a madhouse. Whether or not you take precautions or not seems to have to do with your political party, so even if you do take precautions yourself, you dont know what you will find if you go out. So I dont, at all. Cases on the news all the time of people who pitch a holy fit in a public place because they are asked to wear a mask--they threaten, throw themselves on the ground, dump over their shopping cart or start flinging stuff off of shelves. SMH

The big question right now is what to do about schools that should be opening in a month. There's no way there wont be a bunch more cases--there is absolutely no way to get kids to practice social distancing and leave masks on. My daughter is a school nurse and she is just at a loss--she doesnt even have a way to isolate possible covid cases in her office from kids who come in needing a bandaid. If they open though she will be right there on the front lines. Talking amongst ourselves we are all thinking that we are looking at the entire fall being taken up with this.

My other daughter should be teaching in university, but that's in a turmoil because the president is threatening to deport any foreign students if the university does not commit to in person classes. So classes start in 4 weeks--or maybe not.

The cities are bringing in refrigerated trucks for overflow morgue and emergency rooms are turning away ambulances. It is a tough time for medical people.

CB

That's awful to read, CB, I'm so sorry.  I know at the height of our situation we had hospitals having to turn people away and routine appointments are still suspended.  The husband of a friend of mine works for a power company and had the grim task of organising the power for temporary morgues.  What makes me saddest is that much of this was preventable - not entirely but at least not as bad as it is.  Too many in positions of power because of the money behind them and the families they come from, and I think that's a global problem.  I think even here they could have done 'business as usual' by having a plan in place to support vulnerable people, have as many as possible work from home and keep those who can't as safe as possible.  But all advance warnings and notices have been ignored and now many are paying the price.  It's truly depressing and I can only hope that you and yours stay as safe as possible, CB.

Yes, schools, I think here they are re-opening in September but on part time timetables.  It will be a nightmare for working parents who rely on the schools for childcare, plus the worries of children getting ill or bringing the virus home with them.  The government are basically stopping all support; shielding is being withdrawn from August 1st and parents have been told they'll be fined if they don't send their kids in.  I must be honest and admit that I've kind of stopped wondering and worrying about other people now and I'm focusing on keeping myself and son safe and happy.  It's the first time since he was born that we've actually been in a better position than many, ironically, so I'm trying to focus on being grateful for that.  It truly is a terrible time.  I hope you start to see some improvements soon.  And yes, we've seen footage here of people kicking off after being asked to wear masks.  Many here aren't doing so; the whining about 'human rights' cuts right through me.  It saddens me that people can be so self absorbed and unwilling to do any small thing to help someone else out.  Even from a psychological perspective, I think it shows that people care?  Which can only be a good thing, in my opinion. xx

Twoapenny

« Reply #499 on: July 13, 2020, 03:29:25 AM »
It's overwhelming and what saddens me most is seeing how our indulged and apathetic recent generations have lost that spirit of sacrifice and teamwork that WWII brought out. Even black soliders who were segregated and prevented from many elite jobs fought their hearts out anyway. Likewise Native Americans, without whose Code Talkers we would have lost the war.

I hope the new massive energy of the next generation will bring us back together, because it's heartwrenching how much selfishness has come into the national character. Grown adults throwing hissy fits in businesses because our nation needs them to wear a face covering is just an indictment of half of our culture, imo.

CB, I hope your kids stay safe...and hero credits to them. Same to you Tupp, for doing what you are to protect a vulnerable son.

It's everyday ordinary heroes that will help us become a better society. Hopefully better leaders will fill the horrible vacuums at the top next elections.

hugs
Hops

It is difficult, isn't it?  I think there's been such a focus on buying stuff over the last few generations that we've all been encouraged to think of ourselves, in order to get us to buy more.  Don't worry about whether that's been made in a sweatshop, or if the company selling it pay tax, or that we've lost three rainforests now to provide this timber or palm oil or whatever it is.  There's a lack of focus on that and a focus on making people feel that they and their stuff are the most important thing.  I think that's made a lot of people lose focus on each other and working collectively.  There's been so much blame in the press over the years, demonising groups of people because of their race, place of birth, sexual orientation, whatever.  And much collective good has been lost in the process.

I am finding it interesting that, increasingly, the 'media' view isn't gelling with the real world view.  I'm noticing the difference in the brief chats I have with passing neighbours or shop staff on the odd occasions I do pop to the shop.  The 'real world' stuff is largely positive; people are getting on with it, doing their best, wanting to look after those who are more likely to be very unwell if they catch it.  The media view is very focused on people behaving like arseholes.  I'm just noticing it more as I'm spending less time reading the news and virtually no time on social media (which you have been saying to me for ages, Hopsie :)  Lol).  Lots of people have found positives with this - more time with family, more time at home, less stress, less pressure.  It's receiving little notice in the media.  No money to be made out of people staying indoors and just enjoying each other's company, I guess.  We can each only do our little bit, I suppose.  At least that's what I'm trying to focus on at the minute.  I'm very, very glad and grateful that I have you guys on here xx xx 

Twoapenny

« Reply #500 on: July 14, 2020, 07:33:59 AM »
I've seen a house I really like.  I've been looking online for ages; I often do it because I just like to see what's about and how much it's going for.  I had a long day yesterday of thinking and wondering and, while I think it would be possible to go for it, I've decided not to.  It is lovely.  The pictures online are very detailed and it's one of those places where I could immediately see where I would put furniture, which room would be mine, which would be son's, I can see the cat snoozing in front of one of the windows.  It's in a large village with good rail and bus links to other towns.  It's the next county up from us so close enough to make the move relatively easy and also closer to our friends back home (not that we can see them at the moment but hopefully one day!).  It used to be a shop so it's quite old and run down, with a quirky lay out.  I love places like that.  It has a large kitchen diner, where I can see a big table and chairs set out with all son's Lego on it :)  There's a downstairs bathroom - another quirk I love, and a small courtyard garden that I can just see covered in tubs and hanging baskets with a bird table and a little table and chairs.  Stairs up from the kitchen to two very big bedrooms - son can have the room to the back.  And then another staircase up to a huge loft room that would make a great lounge and study, with windows that reach to the floor.  I can see the cat lazing in front of those enjoying the sunshine.

I do go soppy and romantic over places.  I love old places and places that have been refurbished in a haphazard way.  I like the challenge of places that are a bit unloved - hanging pictures and curtains, arranging plants, making bits of fabric into wall hangings and coverings for doorways.  IT HAS A BIG BUILT IN CUPBOARD I COULD STASH ALL THE PAPERWORK IN.

But.  I have got my sensible head on.  We would have to borrow money to be able to afford to move now and I really want to save up instead of borrowing.  It just makes more sense to do that.  If we get into debt again and then something else happens - a problem with a benefit claim, for example - we'd be really stuck.  Old and interesting also usually means cold and draughty so heating bills go up.  I could get packed up here and moved out pretty quickly as we've got so much done during the lockdown but it would also be nice to get some of the paperwork scanned so that we've got a few less boxes to move.  Son and I are both doing better healthwise but it is because we've done nothing for four months.  It would make more sense to spend the next few months getting stronger, saving more and getting more organised at home.  So I have decided against it but I have to say, I did just fall in love with it.  It's very 'us' you know?  I can imagine friends coming round and saying, oh yes, this is very you :)  But I've learnt from my previous mistakes and I don't want to get myself into another difficult situation that I'm stuck in for months.  I want to save more money than I think we'll need so that I've got a cushion.  It also makes sense to wait until son's benefit claim has gone through (about another three months) so we know that's sorted out.  And just make it all as easy as possible.  Something just as nice will come up, or we might get really lucky and find that one's still available in a few months' time :)  Meanwhile, I'm going to crack on with more cleaning and sorting out :) xx

CB123

« Reply #501 on: July 14, 2020, 09:20:13 AM »
That's so smart, Tupp.

Is it a rental? Keep an eye on it--it may come back available at just the time you are ready for it.

CB
When they are older and telling their own children about their grandmother, they will be able to say that she stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way -- and it surely has not -- she adjusted her sails.  Elizabeth Edwards 2010

lighter

« Reply #502 on: July 14, 2020, 09:29:07 AM »
Maybe that little place will still be avail, Tupp.  In a few months?  It really sounds like waiting will be a calmer experience for you.
Lighter

Twoapenny

« Reply #503 on: July 14, 2020, 09:48:21 AM »
Hi CB and LIghter :)

It is a rental - and quite a cheap one.  And it may well still be available in a few months; quirky layouts and old draughty houses often put people off, plus the garden is small.  Positives for me but often a no no for others.  Plus with the Covid situation, people out of work, who knows what going on with the property market - it might even be cheaper in a few months' time!

I will definitely wait, though.  I don't want to go through another really stressful, 'watching my dream fade away' thing like we did moving here.  I want it to be relatively easy and leave us in a good position so that, if it did turn out to be a nightmare, we could always move again and not be stuck there for ages.  It felt good to think it all through, weigh everything up and have that feeling of, 'well I like it, but it's more sensible to wait'.  A bit like saving that last bit of pudding for when you really want it instead of scoffing it straight after dinner :)

It did occur to me that Covid might get worse over winter as well and if that does happen, we might be better off staying put, not least because we have at least got people here who could go to the shop for me if need be.  I wouldn't know anyone in the new place so that might be harder.  It's sensible to wait.  What will be will be, it will happen when it's supposed to :) xx

CB123

« Reply #504 on: July 14, 2020, 11:15:23 AM »
I saw a house for rent one year that I REALLY wanted. It was right up the street from where I worked, had 3 bedrooms and a 2 car garage and was just a little more than what I was paying for the apartment that I JUST RENTED. I just missed it and of course had a years lease to finish. I watched the next year but the for lease sign never came out.

It was 3 years later that it finally did, and I had just signed a new lease again! Six months later and I no longer work at my old job and it would have been very awkward to live within eyeshot of the business while sheltering in place.

So all's well that end's well.

CB

Hopalong

« Reply #505 on: July 14, 2020, 11:44:07 AM »
Tupp, I totally understand the attraction to that house, and share the concern about fuel bills and debt. I'm so impressed that you recognized the impulse but did not allow yourself to be jerked into an impulsive move as a result. Wow.

Given Covid-19, I do think you might be sensible to stay put, where there are resources for shopping, etc, that could help you this winter.

I am alllllll about escapism and imagining alternative lives. (Despite loving this little house, I'm still obsessed with Tiny House and alternative architecture videos!) For once, I hope that I'll stick to simplifying and working on the inner stuff. Gets tiring, especially for the imaginative, but I think it's the best course at this time.

It's very comforting to know that this winter, the warmth of this board will be working better than any furnace. So if you get chilly and restless, know we'll all be sending you squashy hugs and huge badly-knit pullovers.

hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

Twoapenny

« Reply #506 on: July 15, 2020, 03:50:35 AM »
I saw a house for rent one year that I REALLY wanted. It was right up the street from where I worked, had 3 bedrooms and a 2 car garage and was just a little more than what I was paying for the apartment that I JUST RENTED. I just missed it and of course had a years lease to finish. I watched the next year but the for lease sign never came out.

It was 3 years later that it finally did, and I had just signed a new lease again! Six months later and I no longer work at my old job and it would have been very awkward to live within eyeshot of the business while sheltering in place.

So all's well that end's well.

CB

That's the attitude I'm trying to take these days, CB.  We don't know how the future will be so something that seems a great situation now might not be a couple of years down the line.  My first instinct when we looked at the house we're currently in was 'never, in a million years, am I living there'.  I talked myself over it and reasoned that son's education and future prospects (along with my work possibilities) were more important than a nice house so I ignored my own response and we moved in.  It's honestly been the worse place we've ever lived and none of the 'getting on in life' things happened, either.  That said, we are pretty well placed here to cope with the Covid situation.  So I'm trying to take the view now of, if it happens, it happens and to try not to be as rigid in my thinking as I have been in the past.  It will work out in the end.  How are things in your part of the world now, are they trying to get on top of things a bit better? xx

Twoapenny

« Reply #507 on: July 15, 2020, 04:02:25 AM »
Tupp, I totally understand the attraction to that house, and share the concern about fuel bills and debt. I'm so impressed that you recognized the impulse but did not allow yourself to be jerked into an impulsive move as a result. Wow.

Given Covid-19, I do think you might be sensible to stay put, where there are resources for shopping, etc, that could help you this winter.

I am alllllll about escapism and imagining alternative lives. (Despite loving this little house, I'm still obsessed with Tiny House and alternative architecture videos!) For once, I hope that I'll stick to simplifying and working on the inner stuff. Gets tiring, especially for the imaginative, but I think it's the best course at this time.

It's very comforting to know that this winter, the warmth of this board will be working better than any furnace. So if you get chilly and restless, know we'll all be sending you squashy hugs and huge badly-knit pullovers.

hugs
Hops

Ha!  I love the idea of a huge, badly-knit pullover.  I did realise that the prospect of Christmas here is bothering me and I had visions of a big Christmas tree in a big sitting room with lots of space to work on projects all day.  Our current place is so small that we have a tiny tree squashed into a corner and projects all need to be kept boxed up and packed away each time they're used - which is a pain, so I don't do as many things as I'd like to.  But - I will keep my sensible head on, save plenty, get as well organised as possible and it will happen when it happens.  We might be able to get a little car by Christmas so we could always head out somewhere unpopulated for a Christmas drive and walk and just avoid the house as much as possible.

I am trying to strive for that 'hope for the best, plan for the worst' adage.  We've lived in old, draughty houses before and it is doable.  Son is pretty hardy and I'm happy to put fourteen jumpers on if need be.  But it does cost a bit more - somewhat offset by the slightly lower rent for a larger place - and I am mindful of being unwell and sitting indoors in a cold draught feeling miserable.  And yes, a bit of local support if the Covid thing gets worse over winter makes sense.

Interestingly, I was having a read around on a property forum that I like.  There's a landlords section and they're mostly people who own multiple properties that they rent out, often with very large portfolios.  They're very clued up with regards to property prices and the economic situation and none of them are feeling positive just now.  Even the most cautious and well prepared among them are saying that 'global pandemic' wasn't something they factored in to any of their calculations.  That might be another reason to sit tight for a while, just to see what happens with property prices.  There are rumours of unemployment levels similar to the 1980s over the next couple of years and of somewhere in the region of a quarter of a million evictions over the next few months because people won't be able to repay the debt they've acrued getting through the crisis.  Very unpredictable times ahead, I think. xx

lighter

« Reply #508 on: July 15, 2020, 08:19:52 AM »
I'm dreaming of more space for your projects too, Tupp.  Tables with ongoing concerns spread out, waiting for attention.
Maybe a fireplace next to that big Christmas tree.
There will be more change for you.  You want a move....I know you can make that happen.  Your wisdom is leading you.

You aren't running away any longer.  You aren't being chased.  Next time, you'll make long-term moves for all the right, veryTuppy, reasons, IMO.

Lighter

CB123

« Reply #509 on: July 15, 2020, 10:19:41 AM »
Tupp,

Very wise thinking. I agree--I think we are teetering on the brink of a precipice with the economy and it's a good time to sit tight. Also look at things like the town's DNA--is it a university town? a resort town? Even a town whose primary industry is health care will have things to consider. The small town I left to come here had 2 major industries that served the outlying communities--hospital complexes and universities. They also had a fair amount of retirement homes for the size town they are. Not a place I would move back to right now. 

You've got an unexpected resource following those investors.  They are going to be talking bottom line issues and that's a really good bunch of info for you as you make your decision.

I SOOOO get where you are in that little house. For most of the time I've been in this city I have been in those kinds of apartments and it is truly difficult. I really did celebrate this year and buy a full sized christmas tree for the first time in a decade. You will have one of those christmases soon....it's hard to wait but you are sure doing a good job of making it work for you. So happy for the peace you are experiencing. And having neighbors about in the case of a real need is a huge peace of mind while we are in crisis.

Love
CB