Author Topic: great Carolyn Hax moments  (Read 4676 times)

Hopalong

Re: great Carolyn Hax moments
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2021, 08:57:32 PM »
This wasn't Hax herself, but a commenter. It struck me as SO pithy and perfect. (Suited my nature, anyway.) Can't shake it, wonder how many layers this thought might unearth, especially in women's lives....

Traditions are peer pressure from dead people.

Enjoy, ? , ymmv--
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

lighter

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2021, 09:31:15 PM »
Hops:

The truth is....I'm concerned about how much "tradition" I'll find obviously wrong and unworthy in my life once I get more proficient with my spotlight.

It feels like so many things will fall away.  I'm afraid I'll feel regret and relief in equal measure when it happens.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2021, 11:08:59 PM »
A commenter in response to Hax's advice to someone who can't love herself, which advice was based on doing good for others as a way to boost self-love....I really like the commenter's T's idea and the commenter's wisdom more than Hax's this time.

LW, I don't know your story, but I was unloved as a child and blamed myself, deeply internalized that I was unloved because I was unloveable.  My therapist had me retrieve a photo of myself as a small child, 2 or 3, and put it as the primary screen on my phone.  Every time I took out my phone and saw that little girl I would think: she deserves happiness, she deserves love, she deserves protection.  Because she did deserve all those things.  Then I would remind myself that the little girl was me, that I still deserve those things.  It really helped to go through that ritual many times a day for months and months to internalize that I am no different from any other person, I deserve love and respect, that the fault was not mine but my parents.

Hope this helps.  Doing good deeds, as Hax suggests, is all well and good, but it reinforces that idea that you are not worthy unless you make yourself so.  We are all worthy of love, we don't have to earn that through good deeds.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 05:45:29 AM by Hopalong »

Hopalong

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2021, 11:53:04 PM »
And more (commenters, same column--which really hit a lot of people):

LW, here's something that may help you. Hope so!

In an article I read, a beautiful, intelligent, kind celebrity said she had been brought up to think badly of herself, but is slowly turning that around into healthy self-esteem. To do so, every day she looks at herself in the mirror, right into her eyes, and says, "I love you and I approve of you." When she first started, the words felt false to her. But slowly, she has come to believe them.

I decided to try this myself. When I got to "I approve of you," I thought, no I don't. This startled me, because I've worked hard and relatively successfully to get my act together and I'm a pretty nice person: logically, I thought, I should approve of myself. But apparently I didn't. I grew up being criticized constantly. Apparently I still thought, no matter what I do, I don't deserve approval.

I repeated this experiment every day, saying the whole phrase a few times as I looked into my own eyes. In just a few days, I started to believe the words. Now, I'm convinced. I'm not talking about saying "I'm fantastic," or "I'm gorgeous." I haven't tried that, but based on the other comments here, that doesn't work. This is about an appropriate level of basic human self-esteem. I suppose if you're is really being a jerk and know it, this might not work, but if you're trying as best you can to be a good person, despite the occasional slipup, you deserve to love and approve of yourself, whether or not people in your past taught you that.

Give it a try every day for a few minutes. Good luck!
-----------------------
I agree with this.  I am a fan of doing shadow work to find acceptance and love for the darker parts of ourselves that we reject.
----------------------
I have found a small trick that I got from tattooing. There have been pieces where it felt like the artist was just going over and over and over the exact same spot... but when I looked, I could see that she was really inking all over the place, and that what I was feeling was not the same as what was happening. So I use that to remind myself that my perceptions are not necessarily accurate. That way, I can practice distinguishing "IT SURE FEELS... " from "BUT I KNOW... "
--------------------

Hopalong

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2021, 09:28:09 AM »
Love this formula (have seen it before) from a commenter:

Happiness = Reality - Expectations

[True, if one has enough money not to worry. That's a big exception but all in all, even in economical stress, the formula still can help, kwim?]

Hopalong

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2021, 11:05:50 PM »
OMG...the clarity, the clarity! (Fan-girling away....)
And speaking of assertiveness....!

Dear Carolyn: I haven’t been handling the big reopening well at all so far. My in-laws planned no fewer than five gatherings in a week’s time as soon as everyone was vaccinated, and even pre-pandemic I found them to be overbearing and limited my time with them. I managed only two out of those five gatherings, politely declined the rest, and was met with a guilt-trippy, “What a shame, we haven’t seen you in over a year.”

My husband supports my need to pass, but I still feel bad. How do we set good boundaries these days when people are trying to make up for lost time?

— Still Isolating From In-Laws

Still Isolating From In-Laws: HAX: You mean, how do you do exactly what you already did?

You set the boundary. You held the boundary.

What you didn't do, or haven't learned to do yet, is feel utterly entitled to set and hold the boundary: to feel so certain that it's your place to decide how to allot your time — not [...] anyone else's — that you're impervious to guilt.

Guilt is a transaction. People can schedule all the guilt trips for you they please, but you're the one who chooses whether to go on them. You can also choose not to, always — not to feel guilt, not to agree you have anything to feel guilty about, not to change your approach under anyone else's pressure.

If you believe joining two gatherings of five is appropriate, then the only thing you need to do now is stand up for your own beliefs — against the pressure you’re putting on yourself.

Hopalong

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2021, 08:46:28 AM »
[This is about someone who left an abusive partner. I think it would apply also to adult children of Ns. I loved Hax's answer about nature and the self....Hugs--Hops]

Dear Carolyn: In public, my ex is charming, outgoing, remembers everyone’s name and in general shows a perfect-looking face to the world. At home, Ex was angry, controlling and abusive. The red flags were there from the day we met, but I was young and didn’t know then what I do now. Ex and I have school-age children and share custody, which is the norm in our state. Teaching your kids how to lie so that the other parent doesn’t get mad at them is not a good place to be. And, yes, the kids and I are all in therapy.

We were together for 20 years. I can see now that my sense of self was broken down bit by bit. All our friends, where and how we lived, how I dressed, what we ate, where and when we traveled, even how I packed a bag, were dictated by my ex. I knew this wasn’t normal, but felt powerless. Ex’s way was the only way and my opinion counted for zero.

I still feel like a zero. I lost myself and don’t know where to begin. We are civil in public, but I know Ex doesn’t respect me as a person. And I now know every choice, gift, trip in our relationship was about whether it made Ex look like a great partner to the outside world.

Can you recommend how to begin the process of being myself in the world? My therapist says I need to take better care of myself to model good behavior for my children. I’m working on it, but feel more than a little lost and overwhelmed.

— Zero

Zero: Understandably so. Managing a breakup is hard, with kids it’s harder and with a history of abuse, it can be terrifying. And when you’re denied the use of your decision-making muscles for 20 years, it makes sense their atrophy would feel complete.

But it's not complete. You're out of this destructive relationship. You're getting help for your kids. You're in a therapist's office working to understand and overcome. You're writing to me, aching to have yourself back.

These are not nothing. I would argue they are everything — specifically, the version that comes to mind when you see a flower pushing up through a crack in the sidewalk.

We see it over and over, that nature will not be denied.

So, I’ll make you a deal. You’re a newly single parent with much to do already. So much. Your therapist wants you to add self-care to your routine, rightly, so please make even the smallest adjustments in that direction.

But for the “process of being myself in the world,” let’s add exactly nothing to your to-do list. Just trust yourself instead. Trust your nature to figure out it’s finally getting some sunlight and it’s safe to grow. With struggles and setbacks, but still.

If you get through your family's transition phase, get into a new routine, heal a bit, and still feel you're not progressing personally, then, absolutely, start taking deliberate steps toward self-discovery and restoration. Write back so we can discuss that.

But for now, define yourself as someone who knows how to give a person a break when she needs one, and tell yourself: Nature’s got this. Your self knows how to grow back.

Hopalong

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2021, 10:36:56 AM »
From a commenter:

“The first noble truth of the Buddha is that when we feel suffering, it doesn’t mean that something is wrong.  What a relief. Someone finally told the truth. Suffering is part of life, and we don’t have to feel it’s happening because we personally made the wrong move.”

--Pema Chodron

lighter

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2021, 10:41:48 AM »
Suffering can also mean the end of something which isn't working in our lives.  It can be the place where better things begin.

Thanks for starting this thread Hops. 

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2021, 11:53:14 AM »
When Hax is good, she's great, imo.
I loved this, too:

Your self knows how to grow back.

Hopalong

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2022, 03:26:04 PM »
I loooove the way Carolyn Hax writes about boundaries. This is from today:

Dear Carolyn: My mom justifies nosiness and a lack of boundaries with an exasperated, “It’s just conversation!” and treats me as if I’m the unreasonable one for not telling her every little detail of every little thing. For example, my finances, why I didn’t answer the phone when she called, etc. And I get very defensive when my boundaries are being crossed. How do I learn to set boundaries calmly and actually get her to respect them?

Carolyn Hax:
It's not your job or your boundaries' job to "get" your mother to do anything. Your job is to decide which of your mother's behaviors you won't accept, determine what consequences you will attach when she behaves that way, and put these into practice when you interact with her.

Please note, all of these things are in *your* control. What your mother does is not in your control.

So, in practice, here's how that might look:

You decide you will not accept your mother's attempts to pry into your finances or phone-picking-up habits.

You also decide that when she does pry, the consequence will be that she loses the pleasure of your company because you will end that particular conversation with her. First you will change the subject to one you're willing to discuss with her, and if she keep pressing, then you will exit altogether (hang up, leave room, ignore text/email, etc.).

Then next time she pries, you say, "Mom, I'm not getting into that with you. So, how did that thing at work turn out?"

She cannot pry out information you don't give her. She cannot keep prying if you have hung up the phone. YOU respect your boundaries. What she does is her problem.

See? It's actually very elegant, if sometimes contentious at first, since people in your mom's position can get upset when their usual inputs don't yield the usual outputs. But, same story--she can be upset on her time. Unless she has you lashed to the wall of her kitchen, you don't have to listen to it.

Hopalong

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2022, 03:55:47 PM »
Another new gem.

Dear Carolyn:
My soon-to-be-ex husband spent the better part of the last year lying to me about everything, from when he was going to the grocery store to having an affair. He recently confessed that he felt the need to lie in order to maintain his independence. To make it (MUCH) worse, he then gaslighted me all the time. When I would catch him in a lie, he would blame me for being jealous or controlling or imagining things. His behavior crushed my spirit, my self-confidence, and our marriage.

With several months of hindsight, he's contacted me claiming that he realizes how terrible his behavior was and how awful he feels for treating me so badly. He wants to get together, claiming he wants to apologize in hopes that we could become friends, because he misses me.

He hurt me to the core. I've spent months in therapy dealing with the PTSD of his emotional abuse. And I am in a much better place. He's pleading for an opportunity to show me that he's processed all his emotions and is ready to make amends. I'm skeptical, I'm protective of the recovery I've made. For a few days, I fantasized that he might be SO genuine that we could repair and renew our relationship. Now I realize that's my codependent nature wanting to save a relationship at any cost.

I don't want to hate him for the rest of my life, but I also realize his track record is that of a liar and manipulator. How do I decide whether to risk my recovery in hopes of receiving both validation of my pain and possibly regret/remorse that might grease my forgiveness? Or whether to let him fester in the mess he has made and just keep moving on in the right direction, alone, away from his abuse, towards my self-confidence and independence?

Carolyn Hax:
If he were genuinely interested in your well-being, thens giv he would offer an apology and amends that require nothing of you. Zero. In other words, you would already have the apology and amends from him in a form that didn't require you to respond in any way, because it was for you entirely.

Instead, he wants something out of it for himself--your forgiveness, your presence, your attention, your gift of his get-out-of-abuse-jail-free card. This is a transaction for *his* benefit, not for yours, meaning he is not recovered either miraculously or through hard work. He has just transitioned his manipulation to a new phase, the I love you I need you I blew it I was so so very wrong come back so I can resume using you to make myself feel better phase.

So [small threaded hardware] that. Let his invitation to hear his apology stand as his apology. "Got it, thanks, glad you're doing better, and no, I won't meet you. If you need me, please contact me through [attorney's name]."

You don't have to "hate him for the rest of my life." Just see him as a liar and manipulator and choose to live your life hereafter in a place beyond his reach. You've earned it.

lighter

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2022, 11:02:18 PM »
That was a great Carolyn Hax moment, Hops!

Thanks for that.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2022, 10:57:13 AM »
And when someone writes in with a particularly egregious dilemma (major insensitivity or boundary-bashing)...she's been known to respond:
"Holy crap in a casserole!"

I so prefer that to the Miss Mannersez of the woild. :)

lighter

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2022, 08:01:50 AM »
LOL... I prefer Caroly's style too: )

Light