Author Topic: Friendship Moments: good or bad  (Read 6580 times)

Hopalong

Re: Friendship Moments: good or bad
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2022, 10:39:46 AM »
I got an unusually open and vulnerable message from her yesterday -- a transparent blast of description of how she is feeling (unloved and terrified: iow, anxiety). No posturing or pretending. It was tough to read but I saw again how powerful it is to really allow how we feel to be looked at in full daylight with all its wrinkles or sores and just...described.

I think that is the poet part, surfacing to remind her of her unacknowledged strength.

Gave me hope for her. My own experience has been that in the worst times, when I can get feelings down well into a painstaking poem, I look down on the page afterward and see: The poem took the pain. The pain is on the page now.

"Painstaking." In my particular life, poetry is that. Could be painting or leatherwork or moss growing, but in creativity lies peace, I believe.

hugs
Hops

"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

Dr. Richard Grossman

• http://www.voicelessness.com
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2022, 04:30:45 PM »
"Could be painting or leatherwork or moss growing, but in creativity lies peace, I believe."

Hi Hops--and everyone,

On this note, you may be interested in reading David Sipress's memoir "What's So Funny?"  Sipress is a cartoonist for The New Yorker magazine, and he writes about how he turned much of the significant emotional pain of his life into cartoons--and made a career out of doing so!  Knowing that I would appreciate it (I tried to do the same with 10-minute plays!), the book was given to me by two of my dear patients.

Take care,

Richard

Hopalong

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2022, 09:10:54 PM »
Thank you for this, Doc G!
I looked it up and it's on my books wish list, for sure.

love,
Hops

PS I've started making cartoons for the rare occasions when I mail a card. Ordered a box of 100 blank cards and envelopes and just let it rip with a Sharpie. Sometimes when I free-associate with drawing, it turns out funny. Kindly caricatures of the friends, for example. So far, they're well received.

The key part is age-related. I have learned I FINALLY don't give a poo if others think my art is "good" -- if it's flowing and feels true, I'm happy. And then it actually turns out better anyway.

lighter

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2022, 10:43:33 PM »
I think your drawings are a surprising gift, Hops. Much appreciated and cherished by those lucky enough to receive them: )

My youngest draws on every restaurant check. she mixes it up.  Tight,lovely little things.

Just today she talked about becoming a police sketch artist.

Or a teacher; )

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2022, 07:30:16 AM »
That's fantastic.
A talent like that can change a life.
Any art lessons in store?

It feels so good to get lost in something.

hugs
Hops

Hopalong

« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2022, 09:16:29 PM »
Had the weekly Zoom with poet, and though it went much better on the surface (I openly told her I am making an intentional effort to support her but not over-advise...etc.) -- below the surface I felt anxious, drained and afterward, recognized this is a huge emotional labor for me. (Probably a significant thing to be more attentive to unpacking.) My triggers are pretty much the same with her -- hearing her make a positive declaration about what she's going to do, and then a week later she's nonstop excuses for why she can't do it. This time it was seeing a T, or finding community, or anything whatsoever that came up. It was a litany of I can't, it's too hard, obstacles ABCDE, and so forth. She did place a call to a T and is on a waiting list. Then she went off into a complete fantasy about getting a dog with him, and started talking about the "good stuff" etc. So, she's walking herself right back into the relationship. This makes my brain jiggle and not in a fun jello way. (H/t to Amber.)

Nobody's fault but my own and it could turn out to be an excellent growth experience for me, to detach from the outcome and observe myself struggling, ask myself about why. I have taken a straight clear look at how intensely I have tried to fix her, and I'm seeing how that was giving me purpose. She encouraged it for such a long time, and I guess I (thought) I needed to be needed. It's probably my closest relationship now, and given the strain the pandemic's put on socializing, that may also be why I've made it so important. It IS important, but I've got to change my end of it, so I don't have these aftereffects and drink extra wine just to calm down.

That's it. Now I can ponder this stuff and hopefully make it tidy enough to deal with in my therapy session, with my dear T who speaks the way a sloth moves, which also drives me crazy sometimes. I process words/thoughts FAST and she's very very slow and deliberate in her speech. Couldn't be a bigger contrast, sometimes it makes me doubt the fit.

Whew, quite a ramble! If y'all made it this far, thanks for reading.

hugs
Hops

lighter

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2022, 09:46:13 PM »
Grrrr..... the resonse I wrote didn't go through.  Drat and here goes'again.

Your friend will do what most of us do....leave when the pain of staying is worse than the pain of going,likely.

I'm curious about what poet might say and feel if you didn't give an ounce of advice.... but just..... asked her.....

"You REALLY love him, don't you?"  Just fully accept she';s chosen this man and will be with him likely the rest of her life. 

I wonder if poet would feel a jolt of being on her own with her dilemma.... I'm wondering if she'd be forced to act, bc she no longer felt you were resolving the problem for her any longer.  It happened that way for me once.... my sister asked that same exact question and I broke up with the guy immediately afterwards.  I'll never forget that feeling of being left on my own to deal with that....it felt like a kick in the gut and I perked up and saved myself. 

A friend's brother is doing the same thing to my friend.... the brother said his wife is gone and he needs help....asked my friend to visit 3 States away then texted at 5am he just needed 50.00....not any real help to get sober or out of an abusive relationship or honest enough to do some healing, whatever that is. 

I was shocked when my friend sent the 50.00.... I mean... what IF that was the place where his brother HAD TO FACE something, admit his life isnt working,  admit he's addicted and lost and in a dysfunctional relationship? 

Then I remembered not to tell the friend what to do and we talked about something else for a while.  It was difficult, yup yup yup.

What if the brother was 50.00 away from having no choice but to admit his life is out of control. 

It's really hard to put down, Hops.  It is.

You're doing real good, IMO. 

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2022, 10:54:47 AM »
Thanks, Lighter. You've got it.

She called yesterday to talk through another incident. She does have her first T appointment (I believe with a trauma therapist, which is what she's needed all along) in a week or two. She was freaking out about driving for 10-15 minutes on major highways outside Detroit, what if she has to change multiple lanes?. I mentioned that I wouldn't enjoy it either but that Google Maps gives an route option to click: "Avoid major highways." Also suggested she could do a trial drive to that office, alone or with her daughter, to build her confidence she could go on her own when ready. For now, they're going to Zoom.

She has a whole lot of learned helplessness that will be good for her to unpack. Well I did advise one more thing: Every time she thinks "B has to do/be in charge of that (a man job)" -- to think it through, see if she might: a) try it herself or b) hire help (she's able to do some of that). Not go directly to "that is a man job" unless she physically can't or doesn't want to do something herself.

Beyond that, I just tried to be empathetic and reflect back. "For now, you are not ready to leave the relationship" -- (Yes. I can't.) Her reasons have a lot to do with not being able to handle the decision, other people (family) reacting, etc. A lot of "they will think this/that about me" or "he's talking to them trying to make me sound like this/that" (almost a little paranoid). And the Big One: not able to be alone. She sounded as though it's not just fear but terror of coping on her own or having her cultivated intellectually-in-control image collapse. Her practical skills are mushy. (Like mine about paperwork.) There've been some tensions with her daughter for the first time over negative comments poet makes -- odd stuff, like being sour at the grand-D's soccer game, "They're going the wrong way!" or comments like that. Don't understand that, but I figure her D is just very drained.

He continues his nasty, slicing put-downs and she continues to disintegrate every time he does. Afterward, She comes up each time with a "discussion topic" and says once they have those kinds of conversations, he often does seem to change. I believe that, just don't think it's enough, but it ain't my circus. She made a lot of comments about how people tolerate unhappiness "to survive." This is deep T work and I feel much better knowing that she decided she would make that happen.

On my end, this convo was better. I released a lot of my fix-it fantasies and just heard her, mostly. She needs so much (esp. assertiveness training) that she COULD seek out for herself there, but I thnk for now it's miracle enough that she's going to talk to a therapist and if she keeps that up, things could really turn around.

I hope so. But I'm in charge of me, and I am learning from how all that felt a few days ago. I didn't like it. She kept apologizing for "venting" and I said it would be my own responsibility to let her know: I'm happy to listen but just have a half hour today, or I'm not in a good place to listen right now, can we set up a Zoom for tomorrow? or This is good timing for me, I'm glad to hear you.

In a nutshell, this time went better and I didn't need extra wine afterward to recover!

Thanks for asking, Lighter. Relationships are precious and important, especially as I get older, so I really appreciate the attention and insights when I ramble through various sagas.

hugs
Hops

Hopalong

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2022, 10:57:48 AM »
PS  Lighter, your friend's dilemma over the $50 enabling sounds exactly like what I went through with paying my D's cell phone. I agonized over that very question every time, and once I unpacked it here, everybody responded with so much thoughtfulness that I was eventually able to release that last thread.

What a huge gift. Does your friend have a therapist or support to think through the enabling piece? I know it's agony to do, when you love someone lost.

PPS About asking poet that pivotal question, You really love him, don't you? And just letting it ALL go. I had resistance when I read it. I think it might launch her back into the delusion that love fixes everything. I've heard her express love for him at different times, but in my mind, it's more "we have good moments and sometimes enjoy each other" (haven't heard that in a while but I have believed it). But my sense is she really is at the point when love is crumbling, at least to the point that the relationship is becoming intolerable. Where she is, I think, is more that she's saying "It's misery and not happy but other humans survive miserable relationships to survive" because for now, in her mind it's about SURVIVAL. Until that shifts (hopefully in T), love's beside the point.

But your point about me releasing even more, and not advising at all, is right. Dunno yet if I can do that absolutely (like the Google maps option) but I am doing it more.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 11:02:12 AM by Hopalong »

lighter

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2022, 05:47:51 PM »
Maybe the suffering people we're struggling to move themselves out of their suffering have to feel the entire weight of their choices.....without someone carrying it with them?

Not sure, but we know what enblin.....errr...."helping" them gets us....errr....them.

I once took a communications class at University and my biggest take away was "help is the sunny side of control." 

The second is upset people transfer their aggression onto others to relieve their discomfort. 

Both ring true.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2022, 08:32:09 PM »
Both those quotes CLANGGGGG true!

Thank you.

A lot.

lighter

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2022, 08:59:53 AM »
LOL..... my first sentence in that last post!  Can you tell I'm double tasking like made?

Hee

Meh

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2022, 07:32:45 PM »
Not sure what is going on here. I only pop in on occasion and I guess I don't keep up with the long convos.

Something that came to my mind is there was once a service for free phones. They are basic but hey it's a cell phone because it's considered a basic need. I guess I know this because I'm "trashy."

I used it years ago. It works and it seemed easy from what I recall.

https://www.assurancewireless.com/help-center/faqs

Hopalong

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2022, 07:44:38 PM »
Mouse, good to hear from you.
Resourceful people find whatever resources they can.
Good for you.

You ain't trash!

hugs
Hops

Hopalong

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2023, 11:43:25 AM »
Well, I'm disappointed in myself but thinking clearly about it.
I have been getting SOOOO excited about Poet's visit for my bday. Still looking forward to it greatly.

But I just slipped back into FIX-her mode when I got a long email. Her emotionally-abusive partner is obsessed with rescuing his unstable, violent, alcohol-addicted (to the point of nearly dying) felon son, who needs rehab again but whose insurance won't cover it, and who has literally stolen from his father over and over. She has long told partner that the son may not come to their (in her name) house. But lately partner's obsession has ratcheted up more and more (son's coming out of a psychiatric hold at hospital) and he's pressuring her to let the son stay there "until we find a rehab" and she's freaked out. Doesn't want him there but partner's telling her she is evil and selfish for not welcoming him, partner has the right to invite him, etc.

So she wrote me saying she would leave her home and go stay at her daughter's but is afraid of thefts and also of the son finding her financial info while she's not there and stealing money from her too. The kicker was her telling me that she feels like she's shaking inside, can't sleep, and then saying What should I do????

I think this all reminded me of my huge drawn-out struggle with M that culminated in a stroke. I actually fear for her. So I jumped into research mode and sent her a bunch of resources and advised her strongly (she DID ask) to end the relationship. (Her thesis is that she CANNOT be alone -- even now living 10 min. from daughter.)

Then, like clockwork, came the clean-up email: Well now I've talked to him so he's backed off the demand to have his son come, and if he doesn't comply he'll have to leave, etc. Now that I've talked to him he understands it, etc. A variation on countless times she's said:
--I explained it to him and he understands it now
--I can see he's realizing the situation
--He's not going to enable his son any more

She has a delusion that if she INSTRUCTS him enough about HIS codependency, she's in control. She never is, he never changes, he never stops resorting to emotional cruelty toward her when he's upset. Which he often is because he's afraid his son will die. I have compassion for his dilemma because I went through the exact same thing before I let go of my D.

Meanwhile, it's obviously very codependent of me to keep trying to help her. Her cleanup-email #2 was about how she hopes her daughter and I both see how tough she is. (When she wrote an epic description of how vulnerable she feels, my trigger....)

This is a big vent but the good news is that: I recognize the pattern. I am committed to a healthier friendship. I will continue to try to keep my balance if/when she loses hers. It's sad and difficult but she's worth it to me. Close friends aren't a dime a dozen. Close friends who are also poets are like dinosaurs.

There's a part of me that's not only annoyed with myself for lapsing, but also with her. Her crisis-messages are heartrending, but I can handle that. But the clean-up messages are an irritating blend of denial and more delusional "I'm back in control now because I 'won' this round and told him XYZ..." none of which I have any faith in whatsoever.

Arrrgh. Thanks for listening. I'm at least glad this was a one-day/one-night round of relapse and that I am not confused about what happened. With her or myself.

hugs
Hops