Author Topic: 2021 Farm Log  (Read 32079 times)

sKePTiKal

Re: 2021 Farm Log
« Reply #180 on: May 08, 2021, 09:31:26 AM »
I have an inside contact in the Trauma unit!!  ;)  But this is just the 2nd opinion for the lawsuit.

Looks like Hol's garage will be done by the end of the month. So I'll finally be able to manage to get my mess, back to where it was before she moved in. LOL. And then start making decisions about "what's next" inside the house.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

Hopalong

« Reply #181 on: May 09, 2021, 08:21:35 AM »
I hear lots of hopeful stuff!

Deb and Hol dance night
rose cuttings
local B doctor appts
wrist healing

Hope it grows....

hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

sKePTiKal

« Reply #182 on: May 12, 2021, 09:56:20 AM »
Meh. Two steps forward, one back.
I still have a lot of "old" stuff coming up - that honestly, I can find find no real life triggers for - that are messing with my being right now. It's not just one thing specifically either.

Taking a page out of Lighter's process, right now, to just observe and let it be - and release it, if possible.

I do know, I've spent way too much time being immersed in "the dark side" of OPPs. (other people's problems) and getting back into that immediate "I'll fix this, or at least try" reaction.... and seeing everything that happens as something major, and a catastrophe.

I managed to at least make a little joke yesterday. Felt safe enough with Buck to do that. But trying to do that with Hol - given her current anxiety levels about going back to work and being away from the farm - is a definite roll of the dice. And I've seen a little toxicity in her expectation that the people around her will distract her from herself enough for everything to just shift. It's her main avoidance technique of not actually dealing with her feelings.

And I need to add some distance and time off from that, because I can do the same thing... but for me, it doesn't work well AT ALL. Doesn't feel good; I don't like it.

Hopalong

« Reply #183 on: May 12, 2021, 05:24:10 PM »
Oh boy. Having trodden the anxiety mile (a million times) I remember well the exhausted looks of those nearby.

I'm glad you're seeing this, feeling it, challenging your rescue-response within yourself. Sounds like you're working at not taking the bait -- any bait. Bravo!

hugs
Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #184 on: May 13, 2021, 09:34:52 AM »
Yeah, it's interesting to note Hol's reaction to me inserting some space & distance between us. There's a bit of desperation and a fair amount of confusion about what she did "wrong" - altho it's unspoken. So she adopted a short list of things to do to "help" Mom and has accomplished those.

Today's plan is to get my seedlings into the ground in the garden, and she offered to help with that too. So far, no discussion of this topic - just the usual coordination of work, projects, activity. Steve and I are interacting a little more easily.

Her regular dumping the contents of her head to me re: her feelings, and then projecting how I would handle things (according to her imagination or perhaps fantasies based on only a few exceptional responses I've had over the years) is feeling toxic to me and all I want to do is go about my work & day, at my pace... the way I do things... without having to hear any suggestions about a faster, better way to do things. The most efficient isn't always the "best" - especially with plants - hence, corp agriculture issues. When it comes to plants, Steve is more on my wavelength.

I brought up (mistake, I know) my old issues regarding the gardening work - relationship related; all in the past; but I've had a dickens of a time changing that. During those years, she refused to have anything to do with that work but wants to learn now (mouth says). But when we're "doing" - it's her way that gets shoved onto me - instead of her watching, waiting for me to tell her why I do things this way, the science behind the art... etc. And her conviction that I'm too decrepit to do this myself, effectively...    :rolleyes:    also makes this fraught.

Yeah, I know she's working on all those things about herself that irritate the crap outta me. Yeah, I know she has a whole different mindset about "work" when she's working film production. Different environment & different priorities. It's just the perpetuating feedback loop of working while being sensitive to each other's issues and who we are, that is trying to find a way to succinctly "be" and be expressed.

And it's temporary. We're working through it like all the other places we rudely abrade each other with our separate styles and expressions. In the greater scheme of things - she is learning something thru this. So am I. (Teaching always teaches the teacher, too.) We have done pretty well the past 3 years so far, no permanent injuries.  ;)   But in the near future, Mom's gonna have her own helper in-house, who isn't going to have as many external to the farm distractions to schedule around. I won't need as much assistance from her. That probably spikes her anxiety too.

She knows it's her job to manage herself & her feelings. So, I'm simply gently reinforcing it by creating a little distance and letting her sweat things out herself. Maybe by the weekend, we'll be ready to talk. No silent treatment, just no personal stuff in conversation. For now.

I'm still trying to heal up my damn wrist - and it IS better. But the work can't wait any longer; temps are right for planting. Seedlings need to be divided anyway or go in the ground. I cleared the early weeds out of the kitchen garden again yesterday and found volunteers of red leaf lettuce from last year. The potatoes I planted but didn't harvest last year are also up in the big garden; still all roughly in a row despite my vigorous plowing & discing.

Despite both of us living & working here - she still needs to have her own life. I need mine. Or we're both going to get pretty crabby. Her idea of what my life should be like isn't what I want - it's what she wants for her. She is coming around to realizing that, but talk about slow to germinate!! It's almost as bad as when she's trying to make a decision... which drives me nutz - either do or don't do.... do research & homework, yes; don't go in blind... but make a damn decision before life makes it for ya!!!!!  Jeez.... I hope I wasn't the source of her learning to completely overthink everything to death... without listening to self & intuition. And yet, she's also spontaneously reckless. Go figure.

This is a whole lotta words to talk about something small; a refinement between the two of us. It's not nearly as bothersome or irritating as the amount of words suggests. But there are all these different shades blended together in how I feel about things and the whys behind it.

Hopalong

« Reply #185 on: May 13, 2021, 09:59:29 AM »
All that is nuance and subtlety and I think wonderful, Amber.

Your observations of both yourself and your D show a lot of clarity, imo.
And the abrading seems to have less intensity now.

I like the idea of peacable silences with soil, and perceiving that difference.
Something about hands-in-soil redirects anxiety, I believe.

Did we ever talk about that amazing (to me) discovery that one reason gardening is an antidepressant is that there is natural serotonin in soil that gets absorbed through the skin? That blew my mind. Still does.

hugs
Hops

lighter

« Reply #186 on: May 13, 2021, 09:34:34 PM »
 Forest Bathing is a tradition in Japan for the same reasons, Hops.  The trees release chemicals with healing properties.  Nature is a balm, truly🌱☀🌻

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #187 on: May 14, 2021, 09:26:33 AM »
My issue with the garden was being forced to do things someone else's way; for this, that & the other reason it was presented as "the right way". And the ONLY way it was permitted to be done. Which is absolute bullshit. There are many ways to "garden" and raise food as there are people. One SHOULD personalize the process from beginning to end because that's giving energy & attention to the earth, inviting the return of the energy in the form of good nutritious food.

My big garden is a big square; just like a blank canvas. Deb pointed out what looked like a row of potatoes coming up. Because I didn't harvest them, last year, here they are again, volunteering. Same with my garlic & onions - which ARE getting harvested this year. Ex #2 would've never shut up about how I left the harvest go to "waste"... even though this year's plants look GREAT. I'll get seed from the onions this year. And since the garlic was sent special to me from Montana, half of it will be saved to replant this fall - so it will FINALLY get back into the correct planting sequence.

So around that row of potatoes which didn't extend but 2/3rds the width,  I planted a short row of leeks. The brussel sprouts, cauliflower & brocolli are planted in alternating sq foot short row beds. They'll be harvested early. So the garden is a patchwork block style of various plants based on growing season, ease of access etc. And I just stand in the dirt and LOOK, FEEL what needs to go where. We'll see how "my" method works. If it's a total failure well - there's no shortage of books, vids, webpages & people willing to say: do this next time. I'm saving spaces for things I can direct seed in a couple of weeks: green beans, dry beans, squash and carrots. (There will actually be some short carrots in the kitchen bed.)

Just about everything I'm planting is raised from seed heirlooms. I use fish fertilizer - but with cats that can be an issue. Why I moved my setup to the studio garage. Maters get bone meal in the transplant hole to try to stave of blossom end rot... and other than that, that's it this year. I still have a goodly pile of mushroom compost to side dress things later on. And this fall, I'll do a soil test. Based on memory from the other homestead (very similar soils) we used bone meal, greensand & a light balanced nitrogen fertilizer.

There might be really good stuff absorbed from soil, Hops - but it also dries my hands out terribly. I just can't plant or weed in gloves.

lighter

« Reply #188 on: May 14, 2021, 10:46:28 AM »
::swooning::.
Your garden sounds amazing, Amber,

Light

sKePTiKal

« Reply #189 on: May 14, 2021, 06:31:51 PM »
It's still in baby stage Lighter. And at this point, I'm just digging holes and planting - I'll deal with sod clumps and weeds later.  ;)

sKePTiKal

« Reply #190 on: May 15, 2021, 11:30:05 AM »
More planting - broccoli, since I didn't get there Thursday. MAYBE if I'm still going, work up a cleaner bed for tomatos.

Today's "in the flow" pondering topic:

Rules*... inner child resistance... self-care... work/pleasure balance... and the linkages.

*Rules is a pretty big category; mostly interested in the aspect where one feels nothing productive, efficient, or reliable can be accomplished without a specific order of work; ie, "correct process".

Hopalong

« Reply #191 on: May 15, 2021, 12:48:19 PM »
I doubt this is your worry, Amber, but reading this reminded me of perfectionism, and how much that contributes to anxiety.

Mine anyway.

But I get stalled at the don't start it place, since my imagination overloads my attempts with perfectionism.

BTW, the rain garden, courtesy of the river conservation alliance (mine's the first one they've installed in the city) is all planted out front and looks gorgeous. Very happy.

hugs
Hops

lighter

« Reply #192 on: May 16, 2021, 03:13:09 AM »
Please please post a pic of the rain garden, Hops!

Hopalong

« Reply #193 on: May 16, 2021, 08:22:49 AM »
Would love to, Lighter, but for some reason I've never mastered how to do that.
If you could send me the step-by-step (click this, then that) I'd be happy to try it again....

Of course, if I succeed then I'd totally fill up the board with very repetitive images of a plugged-into-sunbeam smallish snoozy pooch....hmmm, just had an idea....I think I got it!

(If this works, I'll take a pic of rain garden later and do that too.)

hugs
Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #194 on: May 16, 2021, 11:03:55 AM »
Rain gardens in a city space sound positively lovely Hops! It's nice they were able to build this for you. Does it require any maintenance?

I've been resisting trying to use my tiny suburban rototiller on the garden, but I think I'm going to have to try it. It may not work in that soil. B has two he'll bring; full size babies. I've been hand digging with a fork; there is a section I'd be a fool to not break out the broadfork - neither the plow or disc did more than scratch the surface, because the terrain is a bit swoopy. Could be it's full of rocks, too - which tend to keep the blades from digging in.

Each section I finish gets me a couple square feet closer to having that fine tilth, soft dirt I covet. I am hitting some clay in places, so this fall I'm going to spread the mushroom compost and aged (3 yrs) wood chips into it and disc it to over winter. There will be other beds in the future too - one for strawberries, another raspberry bed, maybe blackberries. And I should pick out my fruit & nut trees for this fall. If we plant corn - it'll be down in the field by the hut. I have some open-polinated seed "Country Gentleman" that works great for livestock feed. I'll need to look into grinders for it. S is going to experiment with a small plot of sorghum down there, which is a great multi-purpose grain.

I need B to be here, to discuss some of my ideas & plans... and commandeer back my bobcat soon. My ideas for planting close to the house, involve some more stonework, more flowering (and useful) plants, medicinal herbs (some of which are ready to transplant), and a whole section down by the studio that's going permaculture because of old logs we never got split for firewood. I might be able to rescue some for that purpose.  There's a pretty challenging slope over there - and the septic drain field - so it wouldn't hurt to make more dirt over there and level it up some.

But Rome wasn't built in a day - and my ideas change over time, and with input from others and necessity. When S moves the birds to the hut vicinity, I'll probably have chickens located in that area by the studio instead of across the pond. Then that field can support maybe a couple cows, or goats - still researching those. I still need to get some fish for the pond - except in drought conditions it's fed by a stream, and has an outflow to another stream. Springs all over the property, too - mostly wet weather. Hol's pond filled over the winter; it's fed by the overflow from her well (artesian, like mine).

Its a good thing I knew how much work my big dream was going to involve. It can get overwhelming - especially realizing I can't do what I used to 20 years ago. But I've been trying to "work smarter, not harder" until I find out how much strength & stamina I can regain. This has been an ideal spring for me to work outside - cooler than normal and not so many bright sun days. So far - no "noseeums" out. And I only heard the first skeeter yesterday - I think. They're generally not too bad around the house, but it requires keeping up with clean up/trimming around the house.

B & I shifting into commitment mode. And he's still trying to get dates for his local doc appts... but he assures me it's not long now. Rainy today, so if I do anything at all today - it's going to be getting more space in the house. Starting in the office which has become the "trash room". Makes me nutz to even open that door.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 11:07:23 AM by sKePTiKal »