Author Topic: Tai Chi  (Read 816 times)

CB123

• It's never to late to be what you might have been
Tai Chi
« on: November 16, 2021, 11:05:05 AM »
Skep,
I've been thinking about tai chi lately and read your comments with a lot of interest. I am in the worst shape after almost 2 years of staying close to home. Just got my booster and am ready to get back to life as much as possible, but I am definitely having trouble with stamina.

I am not able to even do tasks around the house with the same amount of strength as I did have. I am not hopeful about returning to the work world. I was really struck by what you said about your instructor who worked with each person on their own goals and the idea that there is no PUSH to master but to follow your own body's leading.

Is there a way that you can suggest to look for that type of instructor? I suspect that it is not a usual characteristic in the Chinese instruction based on my Chinese acquaintances. But I dont want to go off of that (feels bad) and wonder if there are questions to ask in looking for that type of instructor that would draw out that type of teaching style? Any input you can give would be helpful!

Realistically speaking, I know it will be after the first of the year before I can think about pursuing it--move is in 2 weeks and then the holidays. So I have time to look around and see what's in my area. I live on the border of an affluent area where people would look at tai chi as a "thing" and an ethnic area where there are a lot of Chinese practitioners. So I can probably do some looking and come up with a gamut of options.

Thanks in advance!

CB
When they are older and telling their own children about their grandmother, they will be able to say that she stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way -- and it surely has not -- she adjusted her sails.  Elizabeth Edwards 2010

sKePTiKal

Re: Tai Chi
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 04:15:52 PM »
Well, there are to my knowledge, 5 main schools of tai chi. I went to a Yang style school. Have never heard of the one  Hops mentioned. Doesn't mean it's not a valid school - it just isn't included in the background learning I had to do for ranking. The five we were taught were: Chen, Yang, Wu, Wu Hao, and Sun.

A good instructor should ask off the bat why you're interested in tai chi, what you're hoping to gain from it or your interest level. That's the time to bring up physical limitations and ask if they're willing to work with/around yours. They should have an established location for classes and hopefully, a lengthy amount of experience. But new teachers are approved each year,  so that last one probably isn't as important as being able to communicate easily and on the same level as your instructor. Talk to fellow students in your first sessions. Note that the study of the long form doesn't necessarily follow a calender year. In our school, section 1 training begins in September. Day and evening sessions were offered at my school. Beginner's classes may form any time of year.

In the first sessions the simplest chi gung and basic principles are taught. As well as proprieception - being aware of being in your body and how that feels; learning to be in control of the basics of moving & breathing. Yeah, breathing plays an important role in this - and contributes to building strength and stamina. But DIFFERENTLY than yoga.

Does that help answer most of your question? It really comes down to your relationship with the teacher and what your goals are. And that's all personal stuff.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

CB123

• It's never to late to be what you might have been
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 12:23:12 PM »
Skep, I'll bet finding someone who is more person oriented is very likely--just need to do some hunting when I'm closer to ready to start. I also want to have someone competent in the actual method. I'll keep all that info in mind.

And it's possible that what I should start with is stretching and mobility in general. I'm sure there are venues for that around here too. I know a lot of people have been affected by the changes in lifestyle over the last couple of years.

Thanks Skep

CB
When they are older and telling their own children about their grandmother, they will be able to say that she stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way -- and it surely has not -- she adjusted her sails.  Elizabeth Edwards 2010

sKePTiKal

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 02:55:47 PM »
Sounds like a good plan!

https://yangfamilytaichi.com/

Meanwhile, you can explore a bit on the website. Maybe there's a school or instructor near you, if not - you'll learn the same things, albeit a different style of movement, in one of the other schools.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.