Author Topic: Trager Bodywork, EFT, and ....  (Read 5874 times)

clj_writes

Trager Bodywork, EFT, and ....
« on: March 02, 2004, 11:32:09 AM »
Hi, All.  I'm new here but am enjoying your posts.  Here's some of the things that have helped me:

1. Trager Bodywork ( www.trager.com  ...see Article on Relaxation),
2. Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT)  ( www.emofree.com, www.emoclear.com)
3. The Artist's Way book (author Julia Cameron) and forum
4. Proprioceptive Writing ("Writing the Mind Alive" by Linda Metcalf and Toby Simon)
5. All kinds of journal writing (i.e. "Journal to the Self" by Kathleen Adams)
6. Authentic Movement ( www. authenticmovement.com)
7. Exercise!
8. Our cats Nic and Nac
9. Learning detachment
10.  Controlling parents website and book ( www.controllingparents.com)
11. Books like "Excuse Me, Your Life Is Waiting: The Astonishing Power of Feelings" by Lynn Grabhorn
12. Being in nature

There's just a few thoughts off the top of my head. Hopefully I haven't overlapped other people's posts too much.  I find getting into my body (and out of my way too imaginative head) is the most helpful of all.  Intelligence was king in my family but I find body intelligence exceeds my previous head-only knowledge.
Christy

Philski

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 07:29:15 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions Christy.  I have gotten into doing massage therapy due to the benefits I have recieved with that type of body work.  Another thing I have done a few times is a Breathing workshop... very powerful in accessing feelings.  
Philski44 :D
De Nile ain't no river in Egypt...

Christy

Trager Bodywork
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2004, 07:24:59 PM »
Hi, Philski.  That is neat that you got into massage therapy that way!

Trager Bodywork is different from massage, though; it is like a combination of therapy and massage which is why it is referred to as psychophysical integration.  For me it is like re-mothering with gentle rocking combined with safe exploration of any issue that might come up.  It may be especially meaningful for me as I grew up in a family with no touching but the experience is beyond incredible.  I had a session today and can't imagine any drug feeling better than this!  :D

Take care,
Christy

Anastasia

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 10:39:19 AM »
Really interested, but no Trager in my major American city--huh?  
I am going to try to pursue this one.

Anonymous

To Christy
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2004, 05:51:09 PM »
Christy, thanks so much for ther reading list and the links. I went to the controlling parents website. Funny, I'd seen nearly all those movies, but with so much new information, and new perspectives in my life I think I might go through some of them again. Thank you so much for the time you put in to post this here. It's really appreciated. And how you managed to post a link in here like you did, that was so excellent. You are one computer wizz compared to me. I know how to turn it on and off and connect to the net. Everything else the great other has to do.

Thanks again,

Christy

Trager etc.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2004, 08:00:16 AM »
Hi, glad to share what I've found helpful.  Regarding not having a Trager practitioner in a major US city--the Trager website might not be up to date.  I just helped a friend in Australia find a practitioner by asking my own to look in her "book" of practitioners.  I could ask her about your city if you'd like....

Re the links I'd like to claim I'm a whiz but I did a preview and could see some looked like links and some didn't so I tried to make the non-linking ones look like the linking ones.  (This after I appended an apology for not being able to make links!!  Life is funny sometimes.)

Take care all,
Christy

Christy

Trager practitioners
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2004, 09:15:34 AM »
Hi again.  I just remembered I had a friend in New Paltz, NY who could not find a practitioner on the Trager website and then found out there was one in the same building where she goes for psychotherapy.  I tried this search myself and if I used "Northeast" and "New York" I got no hits.  Searching just on "New York" I got many including the New Paltz one so maybe if you try just your state, that might do the trick....

Good luck,
Christy

P.S. I'll still gladly inquire if you still aren't successful at finding one.  :)

Anastasia

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2004, 01:38:49 PM »
Well, I phoned an RMT friend of mine who massages for a living in the Southwest.  She said she had heard of it only.
But I took your advice and put in my city and Trager and got 3.  Only 3 for a city of so many?  However, it's a start.
Boy! Looks as if this would be a good business idea for someone interested in massage...eh, Philski?  Hint.

Thanks!

Christy

Trager etc.
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2004, 02:10:35 PM »
Hi, Anastasia.  I'm glad you were successful and I hope you get to experience it sometime soon!  

Christy

clj_writes

Another book
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2004, 10:53:06 AM »
The recent posts made me recall a book I've read repeatedly which has helped me tremendously.  It is called "Legacy of the Heart: The Spiritual Advantages of a Painful Childhood" by Wayne Muller.  It is a gentle, soothing book.

Here is a list of the chapters:

Pain and Forgiveness
Fear and Faith
Performance and Belonging
Scarcity and Abundance
Judgment and Mercy
Grandiosity and Humility
Drama and Simplicity
Busyness and Stillness
Disappointment and Nonattachment
Habit and Mindfulness
Isolation and Intimacy