Author Topic: Mindfulness  (Read 21286 times)

lighter

Re: Mindfulness
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2018, 06:31:30 PM »
You're as busy as I was.  Workers were just showing up.....great but directing everyone, and keeping jobs on track very chaotic.  Then material runs, receiving deliveries, and managing orders.... Whoo boy.  Ups and downs, adrenaline dumps, putting out fires, and trying to get our own work done....SO nerve wracking.  I was afraid to stop moving.  I'm sure you have those moments. 

I got home Thursday night, and spent a day planning meals with my girls.  Oldest DD and aI shopped today for specific recipe ingredients.  Trying to honor every food, and waste nothing.  Create interesting healthy meals we all want to eat.   This is the first time we're all three on same page, and I'm letting them lead.

Youngest is limiting stupid carbs, and oldest nit arguing about it.  Amazing! 

There's 9 people staying at island cottage....with one bathroom, and one outdoor shower. :shock:

I can't worry about it, but my sister has her hands overtly full with feeding them, doing laundry, and everyone's comfort.  Somehow she's pulling it off.  During the day everyone goes their own way swimming with rays, fishing, etc.

The place looks good....inviting, and pretty decent sleeping arrangements as far as I can tell.

Lordy....just getting fresh 5 gallon water bottles refilled daily on other island is a job.  I bet they go through 2 a day if workers showing up, but I think everyone is playing for a while, not working. 

It's splendid chaos.

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2018, 07:56:44 PM »
My sibs are fishing, and swimming with rays and huge sharks, and eating fresh seafood, and planning the replacement of a major beam tomorrow, even as workers finally showed up again today... they haven't been to the cottage since I left.  There was a funeral, and then the weekend, and you just never know when or why they'll show, IME, but the shed got shingles today! One more dawn of the dead project out of the way.  It looks great.  Maybe the smallest building will get roofed tomorrow. The guest cottage needs some repairs, new hurricane brackets, paint, and finally hurricane shutters.

I'm told there's a 10 foot flamingo float the relatives pull with the little blow up boat, and it's much fun.  I love thinking of that.  I wonder if things will still be there when I get back.  I hope my kids can enjoy it, and I can enjoy it with them.

The rain comes down hard, on and off here today.  I feel helpless, and guilty for putting the heavy beam project on my BIL.  I feel bad about my sis organizing the cottage for company, but I try to remember all the other work that got done they won't have to deal with. I try to let it wash over me, and go by without giving it energy.  I know they don't want me to feel bad, and NEED me to feel OK, in fact.

Less fear and worry...
more gratitude and curiosity.

Lighter

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2018, 10:33:28 AM »
My sibs are fishing, and swimming with rays and huge sharks, and eating fresh seafood, and planning the replacement of a major beam tomorrow, even as workers finally showed up again today... they haven't been to the cottage since I left.  There was a funeral, and then the weekend, and you just never know when or why they'll show, IME, but the shed got shingles today! One more dawn of the dead project out of the way.  It looks great.  Maybe the smallest building will get roofed tomorrow. The guest cottage needs some repairs, new hurricane brackets, paint, and finally hurricane shutters.

I'm told there's a 10 foot flamingo float the relatives pull with the little blow up boat, and it's much fun.  I love thinking of that.  I wonder if things will still be there when I get back.  I hope my kids can enjoy it, and I can enjoy it with them.

The rain comes down hard, on and off here today.  I feel helpless, and guilty for putting the heavy beam project on my BIL.  I feel bad about my sis organizing the cottage for company, but I try to remember all the other work that got done they won't have to deal with. I try to let it wash over me, and go by without giving it energy.  I know they don't want me to feel bad, and NEED me to feel OK, in fact.

Less fear and worry...
more gratitude and curiosity.

Lighter

Gosh, Lighter, yes, you've done a huge amount of work there, not to mention being terrorised by that deranged workman!  I hope you can stave off the guilt feelings a bit; like you say, I'm sure sis and BIL don't feel put upon and are probably glad of everything you've done.  It sounds like such a huge project.  The octopus painting in the bathroom sounds lovely :) xx

lighter

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2018, 08:06:09 PM »
Eh, I'd stopped thinking about the deranged contractor, Tupp.  He's not important, and I feel like I've solved most of the problems he created.  Such a relief to not be thinking about him.  Thanks for bringing him up so I could notice that shift.....It's a good thing.

BIL and Brother think I need to put in a larger Mitsubishi AC unit, mounted in the largest open area of the house.  I wonder if my electric panel can carry that load, esp if I put a smaller ac unit in every bedroom. 

The smallest shed gets a roof tomorrow.  That's a good thing, but I recognize guilt popping up... my BIL will do it, and had to go North to get framing nails while not feeling well. 

::shaking head::

He mounted the lock box on the sea container today, and the 16' load bearing beam was replaced yesterday.  It looks very neat, and open now that the decorative panes of glass are gone.  Less cozy, but very nice. 

He'll rebuild some of the sofa frame so I don't have to purchase, ship, and receive/pay duty on another.  Very nice.  They're spraying the bora care today on all untreated lumber, which should solve most of the termite and mold problems.  I'm strangely flat about it, but think it's bc I don't have any control over how they mix or spray it.  All that fighting to GET the product there, and I'm not there to deal with it.  I can feel very powerless at times about it.

I could easily slip into feeling dread over renting the property.  So many moving parts,  and depending on people, and all the what could go wrongs?

The octopus painting saved that shower from looking creepy, if you can imagine it.  I'm going to try to post a pic of it now.

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2018, 09:25:03 PM »

Ales2

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2018, 09:40:35 PM »
omg this is crazy! the octopus gives me nightmares! :shock:

lighter

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2018, 10:14:53 PM »
He's watching you, Ales!

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2018, 05:49:39 AM »
Oh Lighter, I love the octopus!  I love the way he's kind of creeping up from behind the tiles, what an amazing job your D has done!  Is this older D or younger one?  Did she just paint that freehand?  I would love to be artistic so, so much.  I managed to put some tile transfers up in the bathroom of our last house and that is about as artistic as I can be :)  Love it :)

I am very glad you've not been thinking about he who shall not be named.  I think it's a testament to your strong will and spirit that he has been consigned to the 'I don't think about that' box - and rightly so.  I'm in awe of considerations regarding AC units, beams, electrical panels and so forth - so many aspects for you to keep in mind and yet you still keep on going.

I think renting out can be problematic, as anything can.  Equally it can also be a great experience and benefit everyone involved.  I don't know how regulations compare here to over there.  I have a friend here who rents a place out when they don't use it, generally through word of mouth so it's usually friends of friends.  She doesn't make as much money as she would if she rented it out 'properly' but equally they've never had a problem as there's always some sort of personal link to whoever's there so the place is looked after well and people appreciate that fact their holiday has cost a little bit less.  There are always good stories and bad, I am just hoping that yours will be primarily good for this place :)  I think Mr Octopus is a good omen :) xx

Hopalong

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2018, 08:28:40 AM »
I think that's hilarious, I knew what you meant about how the bathroom could've looked creepy, but you gotta admit, there's more than a little "creepiness" about Mr. O himself! Made me jump but then laugh, best thing...and beautifully done. I love the way he looks a bit recessed where the tile stops.

Thanks for posting a pic!

And if you ever get a chance, I'd love a step by step of explanation of how to post a pic here. I've tried over and over (wanting to share my pooch) but can't figure out how to "insert image."

Big hugs and kudos on the progress, I bet it all looks amazing.

Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

lighter

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2018, 01:23:09 PM »
Hi Tupp:

I love the octopus too!  And he absolutely looks like he's behind the tiles,  which gives me the feeling of an underwater ruin.  Not just icky broken tiles, with a closed up window over it, and rust stains from a leaking faucet.  A ruin!

About renting....
It's hoped lovely connections can be made through rentals.  I picture couples with little children collecting sea shells, or sun kissed bridal parties readying for photo ops, but I'm tired... and maybe a tad depressed.  It's overwhelming.

Two more rental apartments are under renovation five minutes walk away.  We might be able to help each other.  Refer to each other. There's nothing else on that part of the island that's not a condo on a canal, and another 15 minute walk. I think about starting a small business bringing in daily maid service, grocery delivery, and meal prep/clean up, but no one so far seems interested in providing it, and I don't see anyone else offering it. 

Honestly, just having someone show up with groceries, and cook a meal, then clean up would be HUGE. 

OK, Hops.... to post a photo I scrolled over the icons till I found the Insert Hyperlink icon, under the CHANGE COLOR option, (looks like a blue earth) then added the link for the octopus photo.  It looked like 50 lines of code, but turned into the photo in the preview window. 

I tried it again just now, and it popped up as the actual link, and had to be clicked on in Preview, but worked fine.  Very confusing, but I hope you post some photos soon.  I'll keep trying. 

I'll try clicking on the +Attachments and other options, and see if that works.  It did.

Some people say the octopus looks like it's watching them.  I don't see that.  I'm always mesmerized and happy to see him.   He really does save the bathroom, and make it interesting, and upbeat.  Two small windows were just covered over with cement in there, and it was very iffy till the painting went up. The windows were wood with big old fashioned rusty nails.... SO Dawn Of The Dead. 

The shower floor doesn't really drain properly toward the drain, so I want to put a sign in one of the Octopus' hands.... Please Don't Pee, or some such message.

People pee in the shower.  :shock:

::wanting to weep again::.

The 10 bottles of 70% cleaning alcohol under the kitchen sink, lined up like soldiers, aren't enough.  I always buy butter and alcohol whenever I go North.  Always. 

It's cool today... about 76 outside, and sunny.  Rain over the weekend has the moss all green and happy. 

The girls caught the bus this morning, which was great.  Their first day back at school, and they seemed happy to go.  Youngest is looking to join another friend group, and figures it will happen organically.  Oldest lost a lot of friends to other schools, or graduation, but seems centered enough. 

I'm looking at going back to school in September, but feel pretty disconnected for the most part, and not from school, but pretty much everything.   

As my father used to say....

"My head's just not in it."

I have paperwork to do, and I don't seem to care.

I feel like I should start caring very soon. 

I hope I do.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2018, 05:22:34 PM »
THANKS, Lighter!

For the first time I think I get it.
I don't know how to turn one of my pix into something to LINK to.
I've always tried to do it the way I would attach an image to email.

Duh. Feeling Jurassic.

Hmmm...still don't know how to make my image an internet image, but I'm getting a sense of what I'm missing.

No worries if you're busy!

Hugs
Hops

lighter

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2018, 10:31:38 PM »
Can you attach photos you've downloaded already?

That used to be easy, but seems harder these days. 

I, for some reason, had the octopus on google, couldn't figure out how to download it, so copied that link.

After that I downloaded the image from my e mail, which made it possible to attach it as a jpg image.

Amber:

DD16yo had a little black and white picture of a real octopus on her phone, she used for reference.  First she painted the creature in pink, then changed to green and blue, then changed to blue to match the bathroom.  It took her 2 days, and many hours. 

Was it you who asked about reference, or Tupp? 
Anyhoo, dd very frustrated with me, bc I wouldn't tell her exactly what to do, or where.  She took 5 minutes, thought about it, and did it.  I was so relieved she stopped talking about it, and just jumped in. 

When we go back, she'll start painting mermaids.  One on the outdoor shower surround, and maybe one in the main room, and one in the hall.  Not sure, but it's fun to think about it. 

My neighbor knocked at 9pm, and invited us over to celebrate his father's imminent recovery from 4 months mystery hospitalization.  Turns out a tick bit him, gave him Rocky Mountain Fever, and the antibiotics they prescribed kicked off a dreadful immune response, that lead to an infection from the hospital, that went into his organs, and cost him his left eye two days ago.  They thought he was going to die, and then his labs came back this morning...  mystery solved. 

He's coming home tomorrow, via helicopter.  It's exciting... I'm excited for him.  His mother just survived cancer, and seems to be in remission.  He's been terrorized by fear of losing them over the last year.  He's sweet, and gentle, and I think I met his companion tonight.  We'll have a larger gathering tomorrow, and they'll teach us how to cook a proper pot of rice, and their friends are professional dance instructors, so... Salsa: )

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2018, 07:45:41 AM »
The octopus is JUST RIGHT, Lighter! Bathroom would look like "sponge bob" cartoon-y stuff, if he didn't have that expression. I think he's thinking: wash behind your ears! don't pee on the floor!

Hops, don't feel bad. I've worked professionally with & taught photoshop and maintained web pages full of images... and I haven't figured out exactly how to upload pix here either. I've got a whole folder (or two) of farm/house pics to share. Something strange happened with ipad, that when I take a pic the filesize (and pixel size) is ginormus and my fancy phone doesn't like pictures either. But I have a digital SLR and it's an easy thing to pop out the card, copy the pics and then resize them for the web. I've done so much of that the process is streamlined to 3 keyboard commands. LOL. There is however, only one computer here, I can do that on.

I don't store a THING in any cloud anywhere. Too many people with nefarious (or just annoying scams) intent lurking about in cyberspace. Everything gets shut down when not in use, too.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

Hopalong

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2018, 01:53:20 PM »
But do you have a tiny square of electrical tape over the camera in your laptop?

:shock:

I don't but I'd like to.

:lol:

sKePTiKal

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2018, 05:50:44 PM »
But of course Hops! LOL.
Even the little bit I know about network/internet security from my time working in tech was enough to wake the subversive, recalcitrant "I won't play their silly games" instinct. You can "catch" things - like cyber "ticks" - just by being online.

But it's gotten so bad lately, that my digital footprint is now tiny; my self-censorship has been honed like a master politician; and I spread false data about myself to the algorithms every single chance I get. I haven't gone Linux yet... but seriously... who is going to care about my posts re: mastering the bobcat, my mental/emotional gyrations and pondering of the workings of the universe and sociology as if I were a dangerous person?? I have such a small audience. LOL. I don't want to go "viral". If I could be invisible and like Johnny Appleseed... just drop seeds of ideas all over the place... about making the world a better place... I would. Problem is: everywhere I go ad trackers think they know something about what I want to buy. LOL. Might help if they didn't show me what I just BOUGHT, ya know?

Silly computers and software.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.