Author Topic: Mindfulness  (Read 21286 times)

lighter

Re: Mindfulness
« Reply #195 on: July 14, 2019, 02:42:54 PM »
Tupp:
Since the last T visit I've noticed less stress running in the background.  Less dread, and resistance.  I don't know if there was a shift, or if more understanding pushed out some of the reactiveness.  I don't worry about it.

I'm grateful, and it's opening up space for new ways of being in the world.  Just noticing new creative thoughts is thrilling for me, and puts a hard underline beneath the resistance I let BE in the T"s office.  I saw her face register it, and she backed off and found another way around it, and helped me.....
She helped me breathe space around it, and it appears that space was permanent, or at least lasting.

I think that was a big moment for me.  This T is diwntown, 15 minutes away, and I got her name from the Neuro nurse practitioner, even though she had no availability, I called.  It took some waiting but I snapped up a cancellation, and went in sans judgements, very weepy, and ready to untie the knots. I kinda wish I could just throw myself on the floor and sob, but I'm so used to holding it in....very difficult.

Interestingly, I felt a good deal of poking to the left of my belly button as the breathe work went on.  I think I've been holding energy there my entire life.

I also think that finding the zone, being present, is something that is less cultivation, and more flipping the switch.  We practice different techniques, but we're really trying to change default settings and processes in our brains and bodies, as you said.  That makes sense, and is such a relief to know a switch can be flipped permanently, and built on. 

If we struggle to flip it, and manage sporadically, getting switched back again and again, which can become a pattern too, it's demoralizing, and exhausting.....easy to judge ourselves harshly, which doesn't help.  That takes up so much energy!

I know I carry more space inside myself now.  I feel knots gone, not just unraveled, which is a surprise, and relief.  I feel better.  I want more.  For all of us: )
Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #196 on: July 16, 2019, 09:35:55 AM »
I'm so happy to hear this, ((((Lighter))), so very glad for you.
You are doing wonderful, productive healing!

And:
easy to judge ourselves harshly, which doesn't help.

This is one of the truest answers you've found. It's not gymnastics or martial arts you're doing, where perfect performance and perfect form are goals, necessities.

What you're doing is full of gracious space, ultimate forgiveness, charity toward the self, leaps of trust (wow, you are doing it with this T and therefore with yourself).

There is NO skill that will move you forward as much as compassion will, for yourself and felt sincerely.

I am thrilled by the direction you're turning toward.

hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #197 on: July 19, 2019, 04:12:07 AM »
Tupp:
Since the last T visit I've noticed less stress running in the background.  Less dread, and resistance.  I don't know if there was a shift, or if more understanding pushed out some of the reactiveness.  I don't worry about it.

I'm grateful, and it's opening up space for new ways of being in the world.  Just noticing new creative thoughts is thrilling for me, and puts a hard underline beneath the resistance I let BE in the T"s office.  I saw her face register it, and she backed off and found another way around it, and helped me.....
She helped me breathe space around it, and it appears that space was permanent, or at least lasting.

I think that was a big moment for me.  This T is diwntown, 15 minutes away, and I got her name from the Neuro nurse practitioner, even though she had no availability, I called.  It took some waiting but I snapped up a cancellation, and went in sans judgements, very weepy, and ready to untie the knots. I kinda wish I could just throw myself on the floor and sob, but I'm so used to holding it in....very difficult.

Interestingly, I felt a good deal of poking to the left of my belly button as the breathe work went on.  I think I've been holding energy there my entire life.

I also think that finding the zone, being present, is something that is less cultivation, and more flipping the switch.  We practice different techniques, but we're really trying to change default settings and processes in our brains and bodies, as you said.  That makes sense, and is such a relief to know a switch can be flipped permanently, and built on. 

If we struggle to flip it, and manage sporadically, getting switched back again and again, which can become a pattern too, it's demoralizing, and exhausting.....easy to judge ourselves harshly, which doesn't help.  That takes up so much energy!

I know I carry more space inside myself now.  I feel knots gone, not just unraveled, which is a surprise, and relief.  I feel better.  I want more.  For all of us: )
Lighter

I hope that she continues to make such good progress and such useful suggestions, Lighter.  I think it's that unnoticed stress/baggage/difficulty that we carry with us that is so wearing.  It always makes me think about what we can't see.  If someone was trying to get a wardrobe up a flight of stairs you wouldn't ask them to carry a cup of tea as well.  But we can be carrying the equivalent of an emotional wardrobe and then someone makes a thoughtless comment, or we get an email or a letter, or even an unannounced guest, who we like but just aren't in the right frame of mind for at that moment - and we can't cope, because we're carrying so much else.  And no-one else can see what we're carrying, and it gets tiring trying to explain it to people so we try to just to the extra thing so we look 'normal'.  It's just so exhausting.  I'm so glad you are feeling less background stress - carrying a chair now, rather than a wardrobe :) I am finding I'm less stressed generally because we don't have college, and it does make the additional things less stressful.  She sounds like a really good T.

And the creative thoughts, yes!  So hard to have and keep and act upon creativity when there's so much day to day blah blah blah to deal with.  Your moss garden sounds like a good creative project, as does the she shed!  A whole whirlwind of female creativity going on :) xx

Hopalong

« Reply #198 on: July 19, 2019, 10:22:51 AM »
....it's that unnoticed stress/baggage/difficulty that we carry with us that is so wearing.  It always makes me think about what we can't see.  If someone was trying to get a wardrobe up a flight of stairs you wouldn't ask them to carry a cup of tea as well.

This is a brilliant image, Tupp. It's going to stay with me.

Thanks,
Hops

lighter

« Reply #199 on: July 21, 2019, 06:46:15 PM »
Returning from funeral in Toronto.  Final arrival time is midnight, and I think I'll sleep on both flights.

Will try to catch up on board now.

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #200 on: July 24, 2019, 04:58:52 PM »
DD17 had wisdom teeth removed yesterday.  She was weepy alllll day long, in pain, and emotionally ping ponging around into the night.  I was in such distress,  it was really difficult.  I was exhausted.  Couldn't wait to sleep. 

It's a good jumping off place to work on boundaries with T today.....
keeping emotional distance in place so we're not both in a hole.  I learn how to remain outside dd's pain, shining a light on her and her stuff, so there's a chance of helping her out, and not getting sucked into the darkness too, kwim?

I'm going to handle my stuff,  and trust she's wise enough,  capable enough, competent enough to handle hers. 

That
is
such
a
relief.

I can be OK, even when my loved ones are in pain. 

That's new for me, in concrete practice. 

Knowing something is different than practicing it.

Understanding how something is supposed to work is different than putting it in place.

I can't practice it UNLESS I calm myself down/get out of fight or flight mode.  Learning how to do that is useful, and leads to feeling better.  I thought about it as "hard" earlier, and T changed that into something more helpful, bc the body has no sense of humor, and takes thoughts on board, with gusto... implements them biologically. 

I look forward to more ease in my life, from today forward.

I will mindfully choose the different resources, until they're second nature.

Tapping, before funeral last week, was immensely helpful. 

I look forward to walking this part of my journey, with eyes on my journey.

It's a relief to stop making comparisons... to stop measuring myself in "successes" and things I've overcome, or will overcome.

Not thinking about it frees me up to actually be free.

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #201 on: July 25, 2019, 10:13:27 AM »
I'm trying to work on not going into those dark places with someone else too, Lighter. Being close enough to understand and sympathize, but just outside the FEELING zone so, I can send the lifelines of light that are needed MORE, than me trying to assist carrying that wardrobe of burden up endless stairs.

It's OK if I don't get it right; I'm still learning, looking at it, and practicing.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

lighter

« Reply #202 on: July 25, 2019, 12:37:55 PM »
Yup. We practice trusting our loved ones will be strong enough to carry their burdens. 

We stop short of experiencing their pain for them, and get a little distance on it.... and that feels wrong somehow. 

BEING RIGHT THERE, in the moment, with them.... that's my default.  Shouldering, willing them to feel better, and carry less.

That's not how it works, unfortunately. 

We're stronger if we remain a tad distanced, and understand their pain.  Not feel it with them, as you say.

Then we're more capable, stronger, able to act, and that's more helpful than being in the hole, IME. 

T said tapping is super helpful for pain, btw.  There are 8 points that are pretty easy to reach.

This too shall pass. 

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #203 on: July 27, 2019, 09:25:34 AM »
Right now, I'm having more success practicing this with Buck, than with the kids. I guess I need to just finally convince myself that at 40+ they either have acquired what they need to sort it out their own way... or they'll acquire the tools on their own.

But there are some new non-routine for me, things coming up with him that are objectively positive and stir up disquieted feelings of discomfort. I am going to have to learn how to ask for what I want; simply... without a lot of song & dance... because I'm really afraid to ask. (Old taboo I think)
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

lighter

« Reply #204 on: July 29, 2019, 02:55:54 PM »
I tapped on a problem yesterday.  Something that was vexing me during yardwork... had me mumbling to myself, and I just didn't want to do that anymore.  I tapped on it,  but noticed resistance to JUST DOING IT, without procrastinating.  I felt better, and didn't think about the rest of the day, but..... reflection on the problem was still charged with a good deal of angst. 

It's not routine to stop, tap, and move on. 

Yet.

Notice, I resisted using the term "it's hard/difficult to remember/do it."

I changed it to something more positive.... "it will be my routine soon."

This morning I had my first Brain Center appointment, and learned a good deal.

First, my Alpha waves are supposed to be between 8 and 12.... 8 is sleeping, and 12 is very active.  My brain waves were at 8, which wasn't surprising.

The biofeedback machine makes a noise when brain waves are where they're supposed to be, or heading in the right direction.  Mine sounded like an electrical circuit cutting ON, OFF, ON, OFF.  Just very add, but wonderful to imagine I have control... or will have control.

I really do feel my brain went into FAWN/FREEZE mode years ago, and I'm learning how to shake it off. 

My brain has to work super hard to get simple tasks done.  No surprises there.   

Aside from vitamin D levels being super low, my thyroid is "sluggish."  I have to go back to using the big muscles in the body, consistently, to build muscle. 

I learned "tactical breathing" today.  You breathe in for 4 seconds, hold it for 4, and breath out for 4 seconds.  4 4 4 breathing.  Law enforcement/military use it in crisis situations.  You do it several times when stress hits. 

Much of the day going from one room to another, repeating tasks on a vibration machine, dealing with the vestibular system, while going through the alphabet for girl's names, then boy names, then for items to take on a picnic.... apple, banana, cat, dog, elephant, Frankenstein, geode, etc. Starting from the beginning each time a new one is added.   It's interesting how difficult it is to do the names.  I mean, at the end of the first round I had difficulty breathing AND was getting really dizzy... and finding names was sometimes impossible. 

What else?  The metronome featured big.  They put a sensor on your dominant hand, and you clap to the cowbell.  Responses are measured/recorded.   
You want to hit it exactly on the beat, which lights up a green box on the screen.  Yellow lights mean you're a tad slow or fast, and the red means you're slow or fast.  Lots of anticipatory claps points to trouble controlling impulses.  This is more difficult than you might think.   Getting it exactly on the beat takes intense focus, and I'll be doing thousands over the next week.

There's an electrical shock treatment applied to the tongue.  A PoNS (Portable Neuromodulation Stimulator)  machine in other Countries has been approved for personal use. This machine was applied by the doctor, and felt like a ferry thumping my tongue with a little hammer.  You expect stinging, or heat, but it's not like that.  My heart rate immediately improved, and continued to improve with each use.  I learned how to improve my oxygen levels.  This machine taps into the brain stem, and I'm interested in the research.

I had to make crazy 8s with my hands, and feet, opposite sides of the body, at the same time.  I think the martial arts background made that easy, bc I just did it w/o thinking.  First with support, holding onto a wall, then without support.  See if you can do it.  Arm extended, palm up, then down at each end of the 8.  Foot low to the ground, side to side. 

Focusing vision on a dot, then moving my head a tad to the right and left, while counting each time head moved.   Then up and down, while counting.  Counting means we keep breathing,  bc intense focus often shuts down breathing. 

We went through these over and over, changing things up each time.  Core strength was determined on a mat on the floor doing planks, balancing while lifting a hand, or a leg, or both. 

There were more things, but those give you an idea.

Amber, you have habits with the kiddos that you don't have with Buck.  Also, Buck's always been an adult in your life, where your children have been every stage of human, from infant to adult.  That gets all mixed up, and frozen when there's trauma, IME.  I really have to think about letting the kids handle their stuff.  Today I oldest was driving, and I just kept my mouth shut entirely.  Normally I give plenty of warning before turns, etc, but not today.  DD mentioned how different it was that I was silent, while remembering where to turn.  She said it was odd not having my voice there, reminding her. 

I'm conflicted about that.  I think I started naming colors and shapes for the girls when they were tiny, and just never stopped explaining/naming things for them.   I understand what I did, what I've done, and what I want to change.  There are positives and negatives, and I'm going to skip judgments, and just get to making the changes I want to manifest. 

The ability to shift into observer mode is easier now.   

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #205 on: July 29, 2019, 06:12:35 PM »
I started naming colors and shapes for the girls when they were tiny, and just never stopped explaining/naming things for them

What a terrific insight, Lighter. Wonderful. Empty of shame. Just insight.

Love it!

I am going to have to learn how to ask for what I want; simply...

Amber, same to you.

WOWS.

hugs
Hops

Meh

« Reply #206 on: July 30, 2019, 01:47:10 AM »
I'm trying the 4-4-4 right now. It works.

lighter

« Reply #207 on: July 31, 2019, 03:40:05 PM »
That's great news, G.

I try it every day, and it seems that tapping works best for me.

The doc said that deep belly gargling, and humming are other ways to calm ourselves.

I hummed all the way through the cottage renovation, with the crazy contractor upset, and demanding I stop.  Honestly, I couldn't have stopped if I'd wanted to.  Tomorrow I'll learn more about what people do, without realizing it, to calm down.

Lighter

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #208 on: August 02, 2019, 02:13:33 AM »
Just catching up on your thread as well now, Lighter, wow!  That is a lot you have going on right now!  Do you find doing the work on yourself tiring or invigorating?  I'm always curious as to how resetting patterns and systems feels for people - it's interesting that it can be doing good but make you feel worse, or make you feel better straight away.  I'm keeping the 4 4 4 in mind.

It's sooooo easy to just do for people when you're used to doing that.  I find myself doing things sometimes and realising son can do it himself and I'm just doing it out of habit - almost like muscle memory?  Not even conscious, just reacting.  I am looking to see if I can find an app for his IPAd where we can load up everything he needs to remember to take with him to college or for trips out so he can just use that rather than me checking with him.  Well done for not commenting on the driving - I'm a terrible passenger and generally have to spend my time looking far out into the view rather than at the road or I think a crash is imminent every time we go around a corner :) Lol xx

lighter

« Reply #209 on: August 02, 2019, 04:10:11 PM »
Tupp:  I don't always manage to remain silent in the car, but I'm working really hard at it.

T suggested a book about co-dependency.  I just sent a text asking for that title.  I know I'm ready to receive those messages; )

Hops:  Thanks for comment regarding my naming and explaining things to tiny ones.  I SEE how it happened, and it would have bothered me in the past.  In fact, I used to feeeeeeel I shooooouuuuld do things better/right/perfectly and I felt that all the time.  I'm learning to drop judgments, and keep moving.  It's super helpful, IME.

Today I realized that I'm sorry I didn't seek out a good T, or this kind of Brain Therapy for trauma work sooner.  The thing is, I don't think the programs were out there, and I don't think Ts like this are easy to find. I was told go to THIS T for trauma.... somatic mainly, and that didn't make connections for me.  Maybe it was the timing, after all the reading, and classes, and alternative therapies.... it all came together now, and wouldn't have before.

Today I learned that cold water helps engage the parasympathetic system better than anything.  If you turn on the cold water the last 10 seconds of your shower, for instance. 

Using the big muscles in the body, exerting energy.... just DOING... running, pushing, anything, is helpful.  This doc favors using our body weight, push ups, etc, for 20 minutes a day, then doing cardio for another 20.  In his opinion, THIS one thing will help with a lot of our chemical problems.  Not all, but certainly a good start to a mindful program including nutrition, breathing, gaze stabilization, cognitive and balance excercises.  I'm shocked at how much by balance improved since I started this program. 

He used to have a teenaged boy client who came in the office every morning super aggressive.  He sent him out to sprint a quarter-mile, and this young man came back super calm, and ready to work.  Amazing example. 

So, gargling deep and hard,
humming,
 cold water (bath/splash/shower/swim)
tactical breathing 4-4-4
Breathing in 5 seconds, and out for 10
tapping.... karate chopping blades of hands together to get started, then inside eyebrows, then outside corner eyes, then under eyes, under nose, under mouth, under collar bones, under armpits, top of head while first stating problem we're working on TWICE< then tapping on how we want things to be.... tapping on accepting and loving ourselves completely and unconditionally.... is more helpful than I can explain.

I plan to do the frontal occipital hold, somewhere in here, and see how that changes things, or doesn't.

I feel like a road block to thinking clearly was dislodged.  I'm curious how much difference I'll notice while doing work I've been procrastinating over. 

::sigh:::

Breath, Lighter.

Breath.