Author Topic: 2019 Farm Life  (Read 37642 times)

sKePTiKal

Re: 2019 Farm Life
« Reply #195 on: August 08, 2019, 09:00:20 AM »
Whew. Busy times. But stuff is getting DONE!

Yes, Buck is putting a good deal of thought into this - and has been for some time, as is now apparent to me. He's been burned in bad relationships in the past though I haven't heard details of those stories. And so, he sat out the dance for a good long time too. What he finds valuable, as do I, is just the daily routine WITH a compatible person. So we've been building that - discovering what works best for us as times to really talk with each other; how much space we both need - and how much together time, too. Distance actually helps in this, I think.

The one thing that's tough for me, is reining myself in about taking care of him as he struggles with the health issues. For one thing, NOT BEING THERE, means I have to rely on his take about whether he's feeling poorly... and my imagination can spark anxiety and tension and worse. And I can't do a blessed thing when I can't lay hands on him, or feed him, advocate for him or massage his shoulders and get him to relax those muscles. That's a tad un-nerving for the Mama Tiger who doesn't want to feel helpless. So she paces a lot.

But what I CAN do, which he is indirectly asking for; hoping for... is just my listening and understanding and being there; caring. And that seems very important to him. And he needs my patience - which I still underestimate a lot. It never fails, either that when we actually talk via phone... that I can hear how he's feeling and we laugh about things and are getting to be best friends. He's my sounding board a lot, when Hol & I butt heads over boundaries and misperceptions and general crankiness with each other. He's already aware of boundaries there and dealing with them comfortably.

It's a good reality-based antidote to all my nutzo magical, romantic fantasies; grounding. We seem to be the right combination to do that for each other. So... 10 more months... and lots more learning about each other till then. Unless the Navy seriously thinks they can call him back to active duty with the health issues at 65. Yeah...

He had an evaluation for that last week. It's only possible because when he was injured (mid 90s), some typical snafu in his paperwork prevented them from completing his discharge from service. Then it would be another 3 years before he'd be free to make his own plans and decisions. That almost induced another Mama Tiger episode complete with panic attack... LOL. Almost.

Can you imagine being tantalized by the possibilities of a warm, close, loving relationship after pretty much not even bothering to think it was going to happen... and then imagining waiting 4 years to pursue it? ME?

Mind. Blown. But it could possibly (tho I think highly unlikely) be reality.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

lighter

« Reply #196 on: August 08, 2019, 10:41:53 AM »
Whew. Busy times. But stuff is getting DONE!

Yes, Buck is putting a good deal of thought into this - and has been for some time, as is now apparent to me. He's been burned in bad relationships in the past though I haven't heard details of those stories. And so, he sat out the dance for a good long time too. What he finds valuable, as do I, is just the daily routine WITH a compatible person. So we've been building that - discovering what works best for us as times to really talk with each other; how much space we both need - and how much together time, too. Distance actually helps in this, I think.

The one thing that's tough for me, is reining myself in about taking care of him as he struggles with the health issues. For one thing, NOT BEING THERE, means I have to rely on his take about whether he's feeling poorly... and my imagination can spark anxiety and tension and worse. And I can't do a blessed thing when I can't lay hands on him, or feed him, advocate for him or massage his shoulders and get him to relax those muscles. That's a tad un-nerving for the Mama Tiger who doesn't want to feel helpless. So she paces a lot.  What does Mama Tiger do with that pacing energy?  Do you go back to old practices, and use what you learned? 

But what I CAN do, which he is indirectly asking for; hoping for... is just my listening and understanding and being there; caring.  How can you switch that up, and have that BE enough for you too?    And that seems very important to him. And he needs my patience - which I still underestimate a lot. It never fails, either that when we actually talk via phone... that I can hear how he's feeling and we laugh about things and are getting to be best friends. He's my sounding board a lot, when Hol & I butt heads over boundaries and misperceptions and general crankiness with each other. He's already aware of boundaries there and dealing with them comfortably.  That sounds so comfortable, Amber.

It's a good reality-based antidote to all my nutzo magical, romantic fantasies; grounding. We seem to be the right combination to do that for each other. So... 10 more months... and lots more learning about each other till then. Unless the Navy seriously thinks they can call him back to active duty with the health issues at 65. Yeah... 

He had an evaluation for that last week. It's only possible because when he was injured (mid 90s), some typical snafu in his paperwork prevented them from completing his discharge from service. Then it would be another 3 years before he'd be free to make his own plans and decisions. That almost induced another Mama Tiger episode complete with panic attack... LOL. Almost.  Can you remember what that felt like, inside, and how you managed it?  I'm curious what your process is, if you're noticing it.

Can you imagine being tantalized by the possibilities of a warm, close, loving relationship after pretty much not even bothering to think it was going to happen... and then imagining waiting 4 years to pursue it? ME?  I can imagine it, and I'm glad you're with someone you've known and trusted for years.  I think that takes the other fears off the table of being taken, abused, abandoned, and fooled out of the equation, which is BIG, IME.

It's just time, and you're perfectly capable of overcoming that, if you put your mind to it, IMO.  Nothing is set in stone, and there can be travel, back and forth, yes?

::NOD::.

Mind. Blown. But it could possibly (tho I think highly unlikely) be reality. 

sKePTiKal

« Reply #197 on: August 08, 2019, 01:07:00 PM »
Hmmm. That energy is all over the map. As were my responses, until I got a clear response from Buck that told me to stand down. Then, I just breathed and looked at it.

Initially, fear of loss showed up. (And yes, there are follow ons - like anger at things neither of us have control over.) Then, I immediately kicked into "well, this is WHAT IS" mode, running thru the list of everything I knew about him, ahead of time, before realizing this relationship can ALSO be something we both want.

Realizing my commitment came next; and how I could BEST love & support him - that suits what I willingly took on myself - without putting myself last on the list, for getting needs met. And accepting the vulnerability of the risk that how much, and how I give to him might not be GOOD ENOUGH, and doing it anyway. Waiting for feedback. And it's there.

So evolution or "roll with the changes; adapt & adjust", instead of getting stuck in the pre-programmed, past responses.

I have lots of time & reason to practice, while I'm trying to master this. AND observing too; because how he handles this will show me a lot about him, I haven't known till now. So far, that's a combination of things too. Dark twisted humor (right up my alley); a cheerful persistence and determination to get through it; still caring about others too is what I've seen so far.

There's a whole group of mutual friends on the shared forum we're on, supporting him too - including the moderators; the woman moderator and I have shared phone numbers and keep in touch about his latest "medical adventures". So, one or the other of us, keeps the rest of that community updated when he's not able to do so himself. Known these people quite a long time, just like you all. He has publicly thanked everyone for caring about what's happening to him. (Our personal relationship isn't known publicly there, tho' the moderator I'm friends with has a pretty good idea. For the time being, it just seemed wise to have a boundary there and gives us both autonomy to talk to the others.)

Hopalong

« Reply #198 on: August 08, 2019, 01:50:47 PM »
Brave (((((Amber)))),

I'm not fully understanding the 3-4 year thing until he is free to make his own decisions. I think I have some fuzziness on logistics.

He lives....4 hours away?
He is currently still hospitalized?
He says he couldn't decide about living with you or manifest a 3-D relationship for 4 years because of a military qualification of some kind? Is that about health care access? Access to a VA facility?
You're going to have a 90% online or forum or phone relationship? Is that what YOU want?

Only thing about the relating that pops into my head is to challenge the positivity of the Mama Tiger persona. Might lead you wrong to think of yourself as his all-powerful tiger protector, because he doesn't want that. You ain't his Mama, iow. Sounds like he just wants your friendship and love. As his equal. He may be physically vulnerable but sounds as though he's pretty experienced with both the suffering and the management of his health care. You comfort him because you care, not because you manage.

I HOPE his surgery is over and he's healing and improved. What a nightmare. You are the light at the end of the tunnel for him, and bringing such happiness in this hard chapter.

I know you won't be too sacrificial and that you are going to learn and strengthen with every aspect of this relationship--because you always do. You're leading with love and also checking yourself, which is a loving thing to do. He's a very lucky Buck.

Hugs
Hops

"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

sKePTiKal

« Reply #199 on: August 09, 2019, 01:17:01 PM »
Hopsie, you got most of it spot-on. Yes, Mama Tiger wasn't/isn't needed; it was reflex on my part and he shut it down, as is his perogative. Oopsy on my part. It was handled gently and gracefully by HIM. LOL. Mea culpa.

Yes, surgery is over. BUT, the aftereffects include all kinds of weird things: spinal fluid leaks, accumulation of abdominal serous fluid, a systemic bacterial infection (thanks to either med devices or hospital environment) that manifest in several unpleasant ways. So, some chronic issues to watch for and deal with. Sounds awful, but he does get up and do more than one might imagine - and IMO, more than he should until all this subsides.

In a perfect or sane world, we might could be together permanently or just again, in a year. He still has the daughter to get graduated from HS and a business to close up and so, is very busy this year. The stress of running the business isn't good for him; we've talked about that. But if this active duty recall happens, his rank would obligate him to AS LONG AS 3 years, where ever they want him. It could be less. It's pretty unlikely they're going to evaluate him as fit for duty, but it's still a reality to deal with. Chances are very good, that the original clerical error that happened (when his discharge from service wasn't completed) back years ago, when he was first injured, will finally get cleared up instead of being recalled.

HEY, I could change my mind about this whole thing in 6 months. So what we've tentatively talked about, is a decision in the future - and see how it goes until then. So many things could change between now and then; for him OR me. He is used to being deployed for months/years at a stretch - and relationships under those circumstances. I'm not; this is a brand new reality for me. I had one distance relationship when I was in HS; and it ended terribly. I was 16; first serious relationship (I thought); it wasn't mutual.

I was just as confused about how all this military stuff works as I confused you, Hops.

If we do get a chance to visit before that year's worth of work for him is getting completed (while we're also building the Holly Hut, so I can have my house to myself) we'll make it happen. This isn't a concern for me, that he might just disappear into the night because of some guy thing that sounds like more fun. He found a way to get here and rescue me from the multiple vehicle problems in June. And it's not the first time he'd asked if I needed him to help, either.

He's been there for me, for some time, whether I realized it or not. I'm figuring out how best to be there for him, too. And it's a good thing I am as independent and strong as I am... that works for him.

lighter

« Reply #200 on: August 10, 2019, 12:18:01 PM »
Lordy, Amber.  I don't think it's likely B will be recalled, but whoo boy.... that's a strain to have hanging over your head.

I hope B continues healing, and working towards the future he'll build with you. 

Lighter

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #201 on: August 11, 2019, 06:19:49 AM »
They messed up his paperwork twenty years ago and it means they could make him go back to work??!!  My head is spinning at how ridiculous that is.  I very much hope that some common sense prevails and 'someone' fills the right forms out this time around.  Complete madness.

On the subject of Buck being glad that you care, I can identify with that sooooo completely!  It means the absolute world just to know that someone gives a shit, whether or not they can do anything about anything that's going on.  Just someone that's glad to know what you did, even if it's nothing special, and wants to hear your voice, even if you've nothing particularly interesting to say.  Someone who's glad you are just you, without you needing to whip out the bells and whistles and make miracles happen.  Maybe the distance is a good thing, Skep, it gives you a chance to practise just being wanted for who you are, not because you're dealing with fourteen different problems at the same time.  Sounds to me like Buck is very capable of looking after himself and just wanting you because you're you - not because he needs looking after.  That sounds like a good combo to me :)

How is his recovery going now, is he heading in the right direction? xx

sKePTiKal

« Reply #202 on: August 12, 2019, 10:10:24 AM »
Tupp, the health situation is different every single day. For the most part, it's all moving toward recovery and whatever state of wellness is obtainable. That continues to be my focus, too. Reminding him, that he's doing a lot more and a lot better, than a lot of people. Slowly convincing him this is something valuable and he needs to not jeopardize it by pretending he's 30. But guys.... sigh. It's like you're making them give up the keys to the car, reminding them they're not a spring chicken.

There is something to be said for the distance, Tupp. For one thing, I still have (self-perceived) problems communicating verbally. So writing is our primary form of communication. It's like love letters... and I've been toying with actually writing some. And we have fun too - teasing each other, playing around with our "secret" on the forum - which is going to come out in the end anyway. It is known; LOL. They always do. But there's a bit of security - false though it may be - in not shouting about this, and forcing people to tell us to get a room... LOL. If we DO hit one of those "no making it work" spots, no one's the wiser and it's still private between us. We do talk on the phone and it is good, despite my self-consciousness. So far, the ESP wavelength between us is clear and strong; we haven't had any misunderstandings there.

The "stop struggling" reminder to myself has been super important. To me. It opens up a lot of perceptions for me, about how wonderful this all is... without creating much anxiety over things that don't really matter. He is who he is - and me too - and since that's been settled in the past, it's the basic reality we have to work with. It's also where "who we become" will come from. So this being wide open, non-judgemental, patient and understanding phase gives it the best shot of becoming really strong.

He's about 95% pure male archetype. He does have a soft, nurturing and protective side that he's successfully integrated into his own self. And the amazing thing I'm discovering is how that's starting to free me to relax into my own feminine... without giving up one ounce of strength or autonomy. My mindset has always been to be all things, to the best of my ability. I had no idea how much energy that took and something had to give, ya know?

So, all the stereotypical feminine attributes hit the trashcan. Yeah, I was still empathetic and nurturing, because those essential spots don't change. But I functioned at my best in a man's world; with their stereotypical attributes. And it's quite possibly why I've had such overwhelming conflicts to resolve about myself. I do, at the end of the day, want to keep, express, be, and nurture my feminine too. It's still a big part of who I am. And I am fully capable if not as efficient, at those other things too.

Lots of discovery and growing to still be done. And I think it's going to be mostly fun, because we don't have anything to prove to each other. I don't expect it to be storybook fantasyland... and am watching (but only with one eye) for those things to pop up. Already hit the spot, where Hol - as my designated back watcher was a little concerned - and he has handled that wisely and gracefully.

He made an admission the other night on the forum, that where he was once just right foot, left foot... he now has an important light at the end of the tunnel. The guys were congratulating him. They're all good guys. I mentioned that our little secret is going to come out sooner or later; that's just the way those things happen. And he has his reasons why as I do for keeping the secret just a little longer. He has been letting himself have more fun and interact with the guys a lot more there too. He kept a lot to himself previously. Because he didn't want his misfortunes to become a "thing" with that group of people. The amount of support of each other in that group is impressive. Unlike many forums.

Hopalong

« Reply #203 on: August 12, 2019, 12:13:53 PM »
Given the degree of injury, suffering, operations, infections and medical miseries you've described, Amber, I simply cannot comprehend that "active duty" would even be in the same universe as Buck. It does not compute that this is even remotely a real threat. Bureaucracy effs up, for sure, but all he'd have to do is take off his clothes and stand in front of an Army doc and hand over medical records... I understand there was a paperwork mistake way back, but an active threat of being classified for active duty? Is that even possible?

Anyway, I like your timeline. Having this next year to focus on your side of the mountain while he also focuses on his, while connecting in whatever way works for you both as best you can, sounds really nice. I bet your forum secret lasts another couple of days!

I don't think you need to focus on "reminding" or "convincing" him of anything. You might try pivoting to I-statements. I feel scared when you overwork. I am working on accepting that aging does change me and I want to feel peaceful about this natural stage. I feel so happy when I think about this chapter of life with you and I want it to last. Stuff like that.

I've done that with M when I gently mention something (busted: that's "reminding" if not "convincing"--sheesh!) like that to him. But it does seem to go down easier when I always hook a worry to WHY with an "I statement" (because I want this chapter to last a long long time).

Hugs
Hops
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 03:45:05 PM by Hopalong »

lighter

« Reply #204 on: August 12, 2019, 09:47:28 PM »
Ya know, Amber.... when I started dating Bill, we butted heads. 

We butted heads over who'd be the one who gave the most in our relationship. 

When I look back, I realize everyone has their comfort zones, and reasons.

I wonder,  in Buck's situation, what's going through his head. 

As an Alpha,
a man's man,
 a man of action.....
in a newly romantic relationship.....
feeling vulnerable on the best day in hospital.....
what's going through his head, that he doesn't say out loud? 
We all have fears.  I think? 

It might not be easy for him to receive..... right now.  He might have to learn how to get better at it.

Let me ask you this.... how easy is it for you to accept help?

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #205 on: August 13, 2019, 11:42:08 AM »
Yes, Hops... I'm doing my best to remember same. Hol has been pointing out how many times I say "we" - referring to herself and I. When she doesn't think I should be speaking for her. It's kind of a tourette's tic I have. I TRY to watch it; and I think when it pops up and becomes this unconscious, it might be connected to how vulnerable I feel.

Lighter, funny you mention that. We both know about ourselves that we're the last people to come out & ask for help. But he IS willing to be open and vulnerable; stating things as simply and honestly as he can. I think we can both receive... it's been going that way lately. But it's very much like cool water after an eternity in the desert. Kinda throws us for a loop because we've existed so long without it. We'd forgotten how wonderful it is.

But I wanted to ask him something that intuitively made me wonder if I was stepping on a landmine. I even asked Hol what she thought of me asking it, before I asked it - it felt to me maybe a boundary issue, at this point in the journey. None of my business, in other words. I asked if he'd been married before. Hol was like, you should've already asked and been answered by now. What are you? 15? LOL. But she didn't know, that I knew, already - it was a sore point he didn't want to think about, much less talk about.

He had mentioned that it had been 17 years since he'd had this kind of relationship. My curiosity chewed on that a couple days and started to drive me crazy. Resorting to dark humor, I asked if there were any jealous ex-wives I needed to worry about. And also reassured him, if he didn't want to talk about it now, that was just fine. I know I'm dealing with a complicated personal/emotional history here and all too often, for the alpha's the emotional stuff is kryptonite.

Ex #1 he married, the year after I was married the first time. He'd been in the service a while; one daughter the year after. Well, he was overseas for long stretches and when he came home to find out she'd been sleeping with the majority of the fleet while he was gone, that ended that. Some years later, he married #2. They were together for 18 years before adopting the D that will graduate next year. A week before they picked her up, she told him she just couldn't stand his scars and didn't feel romantically inclined toward him anymore. She is still peripherally in the picture. Still on his medical plan, and only shows up when she thinks she's going to get money - otherwise wants nothing to do with him. Not interested in the D either, from the description.

And that was why I was asking. There are certain pieces of information about me and my situation currently, that would be like dangling red meat in front of a lioness, if she knew about it. It's not like I don't think he could keep that secret either; but if he doesn't know - he can't slip up and make a mistake. His plan for this year includes cutting the last ties with her that he feels he has an obligation to provide as cleanly as possible. SO... the types of help I might be tempted to offer... need to be carefully considered. Mike was just fine with my income versus his; not all guys are. Buck knows I'm comfortable - as he will be, once he starts receiving his pension after finally completing a formal discharge (hopefully). Even if we don't make this more of a formal relationship. And I blab too much, according to some people. Because I'm still not cynical enough about the evil people do when there is money involved - it's just beyond my comprehension that people can be that way.

I feel I can trust him with that bit of info, but the question - for self-protection and minimizing his complexities to deal with - is when. He is very protective of me. Not possessive; just wants to keep me safe. So maybe I tell him, in general, but no specifics. I shared my history a bit too, with him, and sort of what I've learned as a result. He can read the rest - how/why it didn't work out - from how I say things most times and will ask if he's not sure. Our communication about things like that are already pretty well established and our knowledge of each other too. We already know each other's values pretty well. He's got a real good idea of how deep the pockets are around here, just from what I've been doing the last few years and the projects that are underway. Man pays attention, that's for sure. Remember, he was a confidante before I even saw the current farm.

So maybe I don't need to spell anything out. Just bite my tongue and rein my tendency to overshare in. Wait & see how serious things really do get... and wait & see what I feel like more months from now.

I guess I'm thinking out loud here again. Have I just gone off the deep end again? What say you? (I've already gotten Hol's opinion. Loud & clear.)

Hopalong

« Reply #206 on: August 13, 2019, 02:11:56 PM »
I got confused about which "secret" you were considering sharing.
--Twiggy's trauma?
--the fact that you have considerable wealth?

I THINK you meant the latter, and agree, no need to spell it out unless/until you two are talking together about specific plans to join your lives, have him move to your mountain, etc. At or before that point, you just need to completely divorce it from notions of masculinity or femininity or ruggedness or power, and just present it in a matter-of-fact way that has no shade of entitlement. Money just what is. A fact. And a lovely one that enables you to enjoy your mountain plans, and would of course also enable you to take care of each other.

On the other hand, when I met M we were both specifically looking for commitment, and I let him know early I wasn't interested in being a "girlfriend" in this chapter, and he said he also saw marriage as the natural outcome. So since that was clear, I told him all about my finances (which fit on a napkin) almost immediately. I also mentioned on the 2nd or 3rd date, when his life stories made clear he had considerable wealth, that it was critical FOR ME that we have a prenup if we ever married. He was startled but appreciated it once I spelled out why (so noone, especially including his children, could ever fear I was in it for the wrong reasons).

I didn't learn the real amount of his assets until about 4 months in (I had just figured, from the family stories, houses in multiple, ambassadors, industrialists, etc). At that point I told him, "I could tell you right now what I'd ask for in a prenup--a bit to fix up my little house, which would be rented--and enough to live in a decent assisted living/continuing care facility so I wouldn't rot in a bad "home." He immediately said, would X be enough? Or Y? Those amounts were so stunning to me there was nothing more to say. It's clear he would take care of me fully. But I will still insist on the document, as we get closer to picking a date.

(It's taken me quite a while to internalize "will be taken care of" without fear of loss of independence, but M has consistently shown he wouldn't use it as malignant power over me. He does use male entitlement in an oblivious/intrusive way at times, but never uses his financial power as any sort of threat, only to enhance our lives together. I don't know how that might change if I were demented or ill, but I have legally protected myself against everything I can through the trust I have, plus the 5 Wishes document. The rest is personality stuff, and if I were too far gone to argue, I'm not sure my assertions of autonomy would be relevant -- or even possible -- then.

Buck is a different person so it might take him longer to absorb the difference in money between you. But it might be good not to fantasize too much Outlander into his psyche. Autonomy and independence are matters of respect more than power (money does equate to power to some degree, but it's all in whether it's weilded and how). I think you respect him so much that you would never even hint that if he accepts some support, that this has anything to do with his pure, core independent nature. And  you're wise to hold off and tread very lightly. (I nearly broke things off with M because he waded in to "help" my D without understanding the sensitivity of the damage and even my ongoing acceptance of No Contact without my existence being acknowledged. For him to start reaching out to her or even vaguely have "a plan" to was an unbearable use of his reflexive entitlement.)

I think it might be good to tell him something that really benefitted me to tell M, if you find it fits. M was batting away my attempts to give him things, treat him occasionally on my own dime, etc. One evening I explained to him that because of my Dad's habit, when he refused to receive, he was actually hurting the giver's feelings. Giving is an opportunity to show gratitude and love, and when he insisted I mustn't give or spend anything on him (which he thought was kind and generous of him) he was actually depriving me of something important: the joy I feel when I can show appreciation. I told him how much that distressed me as a kid, when my self-effacing (to a fault) father would wave away so many of my attempts to show love through a gift or gesture and he'd respond, "No, no, I don't need anything." The moment wasn't about my DAD'S need to be self-effacing, it was about MY need to show love. And my sweet Dad never realized that. Not his fault, just learning.

I'm probably way off track because I find your descriptions of the issues a little bit opaque, but that may just be the positive habit of discretion and respect for everyone's privacy. For which I salute you! But we're anonymous here, and safe.

Hugs
Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #207 on: August 13, 2019, 02:47:47 PM »
Hops, we need an evening to share a bourbon and stories. LOL. What you wrote is SOOO helpful, while I'm flailing about over this. You advice is HEARD, and I think it's wise too. Simple, too. I'm not sure why I feel all pretzeled up over this. Maybe it's that one-way boundary thing... "here's everything and more you wanted to know about me but I'm not allowed to ask you anything (old taboo) because I don't have a right to ask".

Buck already knows the postage stamp version of Twiggy; if I was going to give him support with his own PTSD quirks... I needed to establish some credibility for sharing things I've learned, whether helpful and relevant to him or not. I can always validate his experience.

I know a good bit about him too... but I've had to ask. He doesn't volunteer information too much, except when he's telling stories. So I guess that's why I was so flustered about asking what could be considered private information outside my "need to know", right now. I don't really need the play by play or recipe for how he became who he is, now do I? I know what I see.

To be fair, he made a point of showing me his scars - precisely to find out if I really meant it, when I said "chicks dig scars" - LOL. Since his ex#2 made that the reason for leaving him, and he's only had way more surgeries since then - he wanted to see my reaction face to face. He only told me that today.

Surprise! I've seen way worse things in my day and they don't get in the way one bit.

lighter

« Reply #208 on: August 13, 2019, 07:40:21 PM »
Amber:

I think your man has his plate about full right now. 

Maybe save some of the finer details for happy surprises later on.

You don't have to spill everything, all at once.  You're entitled to have your stuff, and he's entitled to have his... sounds like he's in a mood to hang on to some of his details for a bit.  I get that, particularly bc he's struggling, and maybe suffering too.  My ex's and history, the romantic dark stuff, would be the last stuff I'd want to talk about.

As you say, you guys know enough about each other, in all ways, that you've cleared yourselves for next level stuff. 

Just enjoy that knowledge, and slow down..... you don't have to out yourself, or all your secrets, or information...  however you want to think of it.  He doesn't need it to know how he feels about YOU.  You're enough, and you're fine the way you are, sans history, IMO.... for him.

I think he's looking forward to being enough for you, as he is. 

Some of this opinion might be the "living in the moment" stuff coming up for me.  The past really is the past... gone, nonexistent.  All we have is this moment, and it sounds like Buck, coming close to death, might understand that intuitively... deeply.... and be more rooted in the NOW. 

Or not.

Everything's OK, Amber. 

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #209 on: August 14, 2019, 01:39:13 PM »
Seems as though I've been making a total muddle, trying to talk about things lately. I'm not getting my point (and what point would that be A?) across clearly. Time to let things settle some more until I know what I'm trying to say, I guess.

I did talk to Buck; and all is well there. Somehow he can understand my muddle and restate it back to me simpler and clearly getting my meaning. The anxiety over all that whole question thing and why I felt I needed to know... this all seems like a holdover from my past experience but I can't pinpoint what it was exactly. All I know is having the conversation - sans specifics - completely relaxed me around the topic and so I'm moving on, feeling better about my understanding of boundaries and what I can and can't ask.