Poll

What's the most important things in a vacation rental for you?

Condiments in the fridge, yes, even used
0 (0%)
Basic spices and oil
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: The island  (Read 21416 times)

sKePTiKal

Re: The island
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2019, 03:05:13 PM »
Ugh. This sounds to me like more trouble brewing Lighter. Too easy for misunderstandings to happen. But it's worthwhile to you, so....

A simple written agreement, that brother will do X, Y & Z... on this schedule. With additional tasks, as needed would make sense. Make it like a jobs list for a kid that gets posted on fridge. Very simple and straightforward. The sister holding the keys is wise, but not foolproof. I think you know that already.

I just don't have the patience or forbearance to take on something like that. More power to ya, Lighter. For me, it was better to consolidate in one spot - and even then, there is a LOT to do that I'm not physically able to manage in the heat, myself. We're making a good bit of progress around here, but that feels like pulling teeth sometimes.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

lighter

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2019, 06:45:53 PM »
What did your SIL do with it?  Did she sell it?  I wonder if it's better managed, has stable electrical grid, and more popular bc of the Vacation Resorts. 

Sometimes I think I'll put a little boat shed on the property next to mine.... which has no registered owner, and absorb it.  Sometimes I think I'll put it on the market, and just get out.  Sometimes I think I can make it earn enough to pay for itself, hopefully go up in value, and be a place where the kids go to unplug, fish, and dive in nature, with little distraction. 

My brother's apparently getting a boat... maybe 65 feet long, and thinking of ways to turn a profit with it.  If he does, that will do two things.  1.  Make it easier to get things to the island.  2. Provide chances to drown in the Atlantic.

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2019, 09:08:22 PM »
OK, the cone will miss our island, for sure.  I'm so relieved, I can't relay the relief.  So much relief.

Other Bahamian islands look like they'll get pounded.  I'm hoping people get out, and stay safe.

The Carolinas, and some counties in Georgia are lining up to take a hit. 

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2019, 01:44:19 AM »
I'm very glad it looks like you're going to miss the storm, Lighter.  And did laugh about your brother's boat giving people chances to drown :)  Lol, let's hope everyone can swim :) xx

Hopalong

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2019, 02:12:59 PM »
Dorian's now a Category 5 and "pounding the NW Bahamas" -- which I so hope is out of reach of your cottage, Lighter....

I'm really glad you came back to your US home. Safety matters most.

Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

Meh

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2019, 12:31:08 AM »
Glad you didn't get stuck in the storm while obliviously fixing a roof. I would hope that cell phones in the area get some kind of alert like equivalent to an Amber alert. For some people it's totally possible to avoid any news for days and days. Anywho. Really seems like there have just been tons of hurricanes past few years.

sKePTiKal

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2019, 08:38:22 AM »
G, people who unplug for days (completely) start to tune in the subtle cues of their environment... so one would notice the absolutely gorgeous, low humidity, clear sky, high barometer pressure of the type of day that precedes the approach of one of these storms.

Then, the growing overcast, shift in wind direction, sinus pressure... etc. So you'd still be able to read the weather signs and have a "heads up".

lighter

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2019, 09:50:37 AM »
My leaning, broken seawall was displaced a bit more, but the cottage is safe and dry.

Everyone on the East coast stay safe and dry!

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2019, 12:02:19 PM »
My leaning, broken seawall was displaced a bit more, but the cottage is safe and dry.

Everyone on the East coast stay safe and dry!

That's a relief, Lighter, I'm glad it's still standing even if the wall will need a bit of work now :) xx

Hopalong

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2019, 04:02:44 PM »
Whew! This is incredibly good news.

And what incredible luck, given the devastation elsewhere.

Wow. And whew again.

Hops

lighter

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2019, 04:47:48 PM »
The entire subject, cottage, location, dead and injured people, devastated other islands that missed by the skin of my teeth.... just dumb luck really, this time... is exhausting.

And the sea wall getting knocked about is a reminder that the water's coming for the shoreline at some point.  If I don't get that seawall in, and pretty quick, I'm gambling with fate. 

And, even if I do put up that sea wall... who's to say the roof wouldn't have come off in that hurricane, for surely it would have.  I have need of tactical breathing when I think about it. 

Another good, if small, piece of news is the bar at the end of the drive is open, and operational.  It's just a small place, with light wood U shaped bar,  but it's a PLACE you don't have to taxi to, boat to, or walk a mile in the heat to. 

This means there's a simple restaurant, store, water, ice, marina, ferry boat, and bar within walking distance of the cottage, and the housekeeper's got a car.  I didn't know she had a car.  That's great... she has a car!  carrying 5 gallon bottles of water up and down the drive wasn't a very pleasing job.

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2019, 07:05:03 AM »
That's good news Lighter - that your island missed the worst!

The eye shifted to the soundside of OBX at Hatteras - Ocracoke was under so much water they were airlifting supplies in and some people out - and then the storm scoured all the way up the sounds, finally heading out to sea just north of where I used to live. This was the 3rd storm in about as many years to follow the same path.

Avalon Pier on the beach, lost about a third of it's pier in this storm; one of only a few wooden piers left in OBX. Heard there are about 200 trees down in my old neighborhood again... and of course debris/damage to soundside back yards and docks.

So, about like Irene again. Fortunately the storm's forward motion was picking up speed that far north and it didn't hang around long. Buck had about 18 hrs of storm and I'm still waiting to hear how bad the damage is at the shop; tree down on the office and water came up a little bit.

Hopalong

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2019, 09:26:19 AM »
What's the shop?

I used to go to Avon...was it that pier? One of my favorite places, out at the end of it. So sad.
I love the OBX and was thinking of you when I saw the news of damage there.

Climate change is here and people on the coast are going to go through this hurt again and again.

I kept thinking how fortunate it is that you and Mike enjoyed it while you did and you got it sold when you did. The hurricanes are getting worse. I'm sad for the OBX but glad you're out of there.

Hops

lighter

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2019, 11:02:26 AM »
Let us know how the "shop" is, Amber. 

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2019, 01:41:22 PM »
The shop is where Buck works; I'm guessing that it wasn't all that bad - I've not really heard anymore about it. He's a mechanic and builds/works on motocycles. For now.