Author Topic: Boundary issues  (Read 3461 times)

j_stice

Boundary issues
« on: April 23, 2006, 03:08:39 AM »
Following on from my previous thread I found that since the abusive relationship with my ex- there were warning signs that I should have seen and noticed about boundary issues that I was having, I have spent my time in Israel (where I am sending this post on my holidays). After having found another boundary issue was broken, she came into a workplace of mine, having no known business there at the time and had a chat with one of the bosses. Now I have already let it be known that I wanted nothing to do with her and felt that it was a threat to me her being around the workplace, she managed to give a "free" introductory lecture and what she has done. But more importantly I am starting to get a little worried that I am having to consider this woman constantly in my life. This being the second workplace that I am leaving because of her.

I find it a little worrying that I need to do this and was wondering if anyone could recommend any book, resources and / or advice on creating strong personal boundaries (after reading my previous thread (http://www.voicelessness.com/disc3/index.php?topic=2038.0)) because I feel that the behaviour whilst isn't acceptable to society is considered acceptable here.

"It takes one person to change the world and you could be that one person"

Sheela

Re: Boundary issues
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 10:37:44 PM »
a good therapist is better, deeper and faster than a good book . .
good luck, my dear

sheela

j_stice

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 08:18:42 AM »
With a recurrent problem I have one word: WHO?

A therapist is great but the problem is what area should there expertise be? Especially if other colleagues have made me aware of this problem?
"It takes one person to change the world and you could be that one person"

write

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 01:39:47 PM »
hey j_stice, not seen you around for ages.
Hope your travels are good.

In some ways I feel like the relationships I have had with the therapists and doctors have been practice for real life; I started with a counsellor years ago who wasn't very experienced, she pushed me to reveal a lot of childhood trauma then it was like 'we need to close this up' and I felt like she didn't have the resources either the skills or time ( it was NHS and the pressure was get people functional and off the books )

I forget where you are, Australia? but I have found services better in US and a huge choice.
Someone else posted from Japan and said there were NO mental health facilities where s/he is.

So it depends on what's available.

But if I were choosing someone I'd look for someone with experence and try them out, after a couple of sessions if I'm not happy I'd try someone else.

One marriage counsellor we had I kept going for ages after it became apparent he couldn't help us; he didn't recognise my husband's Nism or know how to deal with it, but was intrigued by it. The sessions I had alone with him he seemed more interested in my h!

The therapist I saw the longest I just outgrew after a couple of years; there was nothing more to learn at that stage from my past. It wasn't a conscious decision, I just saw her less and less and eventually stopped going.

I guess what I'm saying is- expect it to be a process.

Sheela

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 03:20:08 PM »
Dear j-stice,

Interview your prospective therapist for his/her ability to cope and address with your past, decise what your issue is, whether it be abuse, family dynamics, or reexamining your family of origin . . . you might have to pass on a few therapists but it is worthwhile to search for a good therapist and there are many . . .

there is also the avenue of self-help . . in my case being the adult child of an alcoholic made some 12-step very meaningful to me . . .sometime 12 -step is like a n avenue to easy accessible "life" therapy, plus you can meet some incredible people . . .

but make no mistake therapy takes work . . .

good luck!
Sheela