Poll

What's the most important things in a vacation rental for you?

Condiments in the fridge, yes, even used
0 (0%)
Basic spices and oil
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: The island  (Read 21805 times)

lighter

Re: The island
« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2021, 12:33:01 PM »
So, contractor and his wife are looking into getting passports and traveling to the island in January, which is when I planned to go too.

I have to renew my passport too. 

I'm leaning towards creating a bunk room, thanks for that idea Amber. 

My "caretaker/renter" isn't wearing enough hats.... or paying the 400.000 rent he promised to pay. He IS working at the nicest hotel and marina on North, thanks to my brother gettting him a job at the marina on our side of the island.I guess he did a good job and that got him hired at the snootier place.  Good for him, but what about the rent?  Nothing?  Nothing and he doesn't mention it, even if he does do a bit more at the cottage, but not what I strictly askhim to do. It helps my  brother asks him to do things, IMO.

Bikes getting fiured out. Four have returned at this point and brother has the guy who made them all go away.... back working at the cottage, bc he owes brother money.  Not living there again, mind you. Just doing some work.  Cleaning pineneedle off the roof, etc.
 Brother paid him moneyfor beer... I think....and the beer never showed up...neither did the money, so...... the guy is a good worker,but not consistent or to be trusted to do the right thing all the time when he has a choice.

My brother allows this to color his feelings about paying any workers ahead on the island,which I've done with the regimented, trustworthy always housekeeper who  always comes through and does her work as well as some other people's.  She's an Amazon of the first order...... I trust her completely.  It feels like brother beginning to trust me and my choices more and more. At one point he was talking ahead about having his guy deal with the roof, as he's done before even as I told him I had someone to work on the roof I preferred,bc it's hard to get roofing stuff to the cottage.... it needs to be used wisely and to best advatage.

THIS time I heard him stop himself...... take a moment....then say..... "You've got that covered."  So my guy, who stopped roof leaks as a hurricane barreled down on the island and I was jumping on the last plane out...... is on the job again. 

He's also ground down rusting seaside metal roof edges and coated them.  Brother brought white coatingthis time, which will look better and be cooler.  The 3entire roof needs to be redone.

A new seawall needs to go up. 

I'd love to save the old seawall but everyone says it can't be done.  Poor thing listing badly forward, falling into sections now.

Realtor waiting for more information.  His buyers have visited the cottage, so he said.  Very interested in making an offer,but that feels far off too.  Partially bc there's movement and sales on  my beath.... the cottage falling into the sea was bought....they tore down the cottage and appear to have listed it for 1.3. 

I have no expectations.  I feel OK about moving ahead or not.

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2021, 02:09:31 PM »
About the guest cottage renovation.

There are 2 entrances..... only1 bathroom.

I'd like to make a bedroom out of the loft over the existing bathroom.  Caretaker could have that space and a wall would separate it from the main living area with it's own entrance with an addition to include another bathroom and kitchen area.

This is a new thought.  Wont work, but security gaurd isn;t going to have all the privacy he enjoys with sole use of the guest guest house much longer. 

Cottage roof getting repairs today.

lighter

« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2021, 04:15:26 PM »
The guest checking in at the end of this month cancelled her reservation after holding it for many many months. 

That's one thing about this property....... the travel arrangments can be overwhelming, sometimes impossible, IME. 

Someone texted me in the middle of the night if they could drive their car to the cottage.  I know I spent time explaining something they wouldn't need..... logistics  of getting to the island.  I really should have set responses. Will figure that out soon.

The guy making roof repairs sends pictures without my asking.  He said we bought another couple years on the roof with this repair.  I don't know what I'd do if he wasn't there. 

The idea of building onto the guest cottage has occurred to me.  Maybe a living area and second bathroom, but putting 6'7" security guy (presently called the caretaker/renter) in that tiny space, really it would be a bathroom, small hallway and ladder leading to a sleeping nook he wouldn't fit into very well.  That space could have the wall of shelving, I guess.  Could think about cutting the bathroom in two, and putting in second toilet, taking out shower.  An outdoor shower would be easy enough to install..... I think.

Lets see...... Could have an entrance to the bathroom from main room AND entrance hall for the sleeping loft.  Could leave the sink with the toilet and put in a toilet and sink in shower area.

I really want my contractor to go with his wife....... to think this through with me. Pull open walls and interpret, like a medicine man.  What is ailment and what is cure?  What's the material list? Logistics of getting materials to the island is my end, and seem to be improved since brother has boat.  Not sure how that really works, bc brother not keen on carrying stuff there... it's a PITA, I understand that.  I certainly do.

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2021, 07:36:51 PM »
There is NOTHING going on at the cottage right now. No rentals. At all. There's a curfew,bc COVID.  THat likely explains it.

I dropped the price back down and someone just asked me to rent to them for a stupid low price....... basically pay them to let them use the cottage. 

I'm shaking my head, putting it on the shelf and going back to what I can control.

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2021, 04:59:18 PM »
We have guests set to arrive the first week of October. 

This is a guest who was problematic in pretty much every way a guest can be.... which is somthing, considering I strive to problem solve and am pretty good at it, esp as it has to do with the difficult travel arrangements lining up flights and ferries.

This guest booked the minimum nights during a holiday weekend, but wanted to book it for fewer.  I could have booked the entire week, but she got to it first.  She'd have to take the minimum nights and then the day of travel arrived and she called from the Fast Ferry.... her dd didn't have a valid passport.

It seemed obvious to me.... she booked another Ferry ride with me on the phone to book the cottage for another date..... easy peasy.  No one loses anything. 

So, I say all this bc I touched base with her about a week ago.  Her response was a list of 10 or so things she needs in place..... bikes, kayaks, coffee type, just lots of questions about beach towels...... and I noticed a knee jerk reaction to seeing her name, even before I got to her message.

Answering her questions required I text the "caretaker" and the housekeeper at the cottage, which I did.  They responded quickly and I responded and the guest who is happy.  No one feels put out. We've worked the bugs out, I think.

I noticed I stepped around feeling irrittation over the questions, finding the answers and avoiding my tendency to over answer.

As far as I can tell.... I need to go this fall or in the winter to do some maintenance, but we have an Airbnb up and running, people!
Woo hoo!

I'm sure there will be stuff and COWs and problems, but the general running of things has been battoned down.

An article just popped up about a tourist attraction nearby.... feeding the rays.  I was so happy to find it and will figure out how to attach it to the site.

Whew.... feels so good: )

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2022, 07:03:52 PM »
I plan to hitch a ride to the island this month to replace exterior doors, at least one, replace the sofa hopefully and refresh the paint, etc.  Change the locks.  Update the contact info and things to do list for guests.

I'll fish a little, but plan on working to get the place back in order for a visit with my sibs and BIL in March. Hopefully my girls will go and we'll see if my brother's kids go as well.

I have to tell you guys.....I am going to channel my assertive Goddess highest self.

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2022, 08:52:27 AM »
Or you could channel a bit o' sea witch energy, Lighter.  ;)
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

lighter

« Reply #127 on: February 07, 2022, 09:57:06 PM »
What sounds do sea witches make.....
do'ya think?

sKePTiKal

« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2022, 08:23:49 AM »
Siren songs.... sea chanty's... try Maddy Prior & June Tabor: The Grey Line.

lighter

« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2022, 04:07:13 PM »
YES!

I have to say, Ginny Di's THE WAVE-SOAKED MAIDEN seems a better choice....
 if we're talking Sirens; )

I really like Hoist the Colours sung by MALINDA, Bobby Bass, Lauren Paley and Colm McGuinness.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what sofa to get, if any, where to make the buy and how to get it to where it's going in Florida.... onto a boat at a dry dock facility..... and..... I'd rather not have to drive, but it might come down to that as renting a truck in Florida to move a sofa PLUS taking a hotel room during the shopping time, if I can swing it at all satisfactorialy..... it's a puzzle. 

New exterior doors more important... and new locks.  I'm SO ready to have limited keys out there and clamp down on the guests so they always return the keys.  I think they hand them off to the "caretaker" then he's using the cottage and his sister has to do housekeeping for him, which means she'll quit eventually and I have no Airbnb business without her.

OK... opinion.... the sofa is an L shaped unit, faux suede, ivory in OK shape as far as the fabric goes. Pretty comfy.  Sleeps 2 and that;s the most popular sleeping area in the cottage, bc it's got windows on 3 sides facing the Atlantic.   One piece is fine, while the other has been patched up inside but it's whonky...... feels like you either slide off it or INTO it..... rebuilt the frame bc termites destroyed it..... fluffed up the coils crushed down by the 6'6" "caretaker's" weight over the years. 

I was thinking a faux leather black or saddle colored modern sofa or 2 sofas, easy to clean.  You've seen the pictures, what do you think?

Lighter

IF I replace it.... was thinking something sleeker and

sKePTiKal

« Reply #130 on: February 09, 2022, 09:17:36 AM »
FWIW, my taste is running to lighter scaled, sleeker sofas these days - BUT, they absolutely don't look to offer comfort, to me. I don't know that they're uncomfortable; they just don't look welcoming. I have an L-sectional (not sleeper) that weighs a ton; has been slept on a lot it's so comfortable and except for the leather surface - it's survived a big dog, two babies to toddlers and 3 cats without any major incident. Still, I'm looking to replace it with similar quality but slightly smaller, trimmer looking.

A sleep sofa makes sense in a rental cottage but perhaps you'd prefer to limit how many people cram into the cottage to eat/sleep/shelter from weather? I guess, I'd look for something with basic lines to it, that's well-made and not overly large. More floor space gives a sense of airyness and allows for yoga, meditation, etc.

lighter

« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2022, 11:41:33 AM »
The trip is approaching and I'm just starting to pull together luggage and things to transport from 3 different locations. 

I have trouble asking for help, so it always brings up discomfort I'm noticing...... a thread of distress I'd like to put to bed.

I'm a tad worried about the food..... I plan to bring lots of fresh greens.... I SO crave them on the island,where there's pretty much romain and iceburg lettuce available SOMETIMES and often not in great shape.  I think my brother's friend does most of the cooking for their group, so I'll just let him do that.  It's pretty easy to feed myself gf/df/sf and keep to it.  It's more difficult if I'm cooking regular food for a large group, esp if I'm doing all the work myself..... harder to stick to gf/sg/df for sure.

Oh......brother bought a pizza oven to cart to the island. His buddy is working on good dough recipes and ingredients.  It appears to be a double oven, the countertop/stainless steel kind.  I'm not sure how this fits into the rental program, if it does. It could be an asset.  It WILL be something else to clean and care for..... corrode in the Ocean air, but a local restaurant there makes WONDERFUL pizzas when their dough maker shows up and when they have servers and cooks, which is hit or miss.  Did I post about my brother and his friend manning the pizza oven and fry station at that restaurant one  evening bc the cooks didn't show?  I think that's how this pizza oven idea was born and I'm just happy my brother is excited about it.   It's nice when men cook and make nummy things. My Italian BIL is a terrific cook...... he loves feeding the group lovely food.  It's connection and sharing that warms my heart.

I happen to have 5 balls of gf pizza dough in the freezer, so will bring what I think I'll eat....I like pizza too!  Usually I drink quite a bit of gf beer in the island heat with all the trudging between islands and work, but I haven't been drinking ANYTHING for a while now.  A sip of beer will have me tipsy and maybe that's what I'll do, here and there.  My muscles ache to stretch in the sunshine.  I love Tai Chi on the beach.   Tipsy on a gulp of gf beer isn't a bad thing; )

If I didn't write about the acrylic glasses I got on a closeout sale at Belks....... they're SO AMAZING and perfectly suited to the cottage.... looks like sea urchins!  So special and can't be broken on the tile and concrete flooring at the cottage.  Those little things, like bedding that's soft, light weight for warm weather and easily dried and able to hide imperfections of the rusty water washings...... really make me happy.

I need to find 2 very lightweight twin comforters.  I might have some, come to think of it.

And the packing begins.

lighter

« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2022, 06:49:27 PM »
I tried to set up a poll about what's important in a rental when traveling.

What do you guys HAVE to have in a rental property when you travel?

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2022, 08:35:37 PM »
Internet.
A mattress that doesn't sag.
Quiet.
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

sKePTiKal

« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2022, 07:29:00 AM »
Covered outdoor living space
Clean kitchen & bathrooms; fully equipped
Laundry
Off street parking