Poll

What's the most important things in a vacation rental for you?

Condiments in the fridge, yes, even used
0 (0%)
Basic spices and oil
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: The island  (Read 21805 times)

Hopalong

Re: The island
« Reply #150 on: August 06, 2022, 11:07:28 AM »
Forgot the paradise part!

So glad you have a door to it, Lighter.

Hugs,
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

lighter

« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2022, 01:00:44 PM »
So, as I continue hosting guests at the Cottage, long distance, I'm getting more efficient. 

Particularly with responses I can have on hand to send.  THOSE are amazing.  How to get to the cottage from either side of the island is automatically sent by Airbnb, so I haven't had to think about it.

More automatic responses have to be written and sent by me.... and I've started writing those out, but it's been hit or miss and there will always be specific questions guests have.  I am hoping I can send the information and proactively answer most of the questions or help the guests hone down their questions quickly and more specifically.

My brother was just at the Cottage and replaced the down AC split AC unit himself, which saved 250.00. 

At the same time, he purchased 2 $1500.00 units, at cost, which took my breath away. I'd paid 500.00 for units on the island and they've lasted 4 years......
and.....
it appears the unit that stopped working wasn't put out of service by the corrosion or bc of proximity to the ocean, which I assumed.

My brother said the unit had been wired improperly, which makes sense.  Votage and amperage and all the things needed to properly select and install units are out of my control, unless I actually bring a certified electrician or someone I trust to KNOW what to do.

My brother isn't an electrician, but he explained what he found in the wiring... 3 wires going into the pipe leading to 2 wires and how that likely burned up the compressor..... I tthnk he said, which means I trust and go limp and am grateful but frustrated and don't know how to escape more problems like that since the "good electrician specializing in AC" did one repair and one attempted repair on that unit without discovering the WRONG wiring, and so....what does that mean for repairs going forward on really expensive units that will likely die bc of incompetence rather than proximity to the ocean?  It's overwhelming for me and....

Burning up one leg of the electrip panel, bc we put too much load on the panel or destroying the entire panel is a reality that COULD happen,bc we aren't aware of just how much load the panel can take is the larger piece in that equation. I think brother bought smaller units which is comforting to me.  I at first thought we were replacing the dead unit with a larger unit, but I don't think that's the case.

The second unit he brought to the island is for replacing the roll around AC unit vented  out a window and sitting on a bulky wooden stand my BIL built for it and takes up important floor space in a relatilvey small bedroom space.  Also, it covers up some of a window on the ocean side of the cottage. It's a solution that's not optimal.  THere's a second unit like this in the bunk room, taking up precious floor space and vented out a hole in the wall.  Again, imperfect but solves the problem of cooling a cement building with a metal roof with ZERO insulation in half or more of the cottage roof.  I guess the orginal part of the house has an attic and we added insulation in recent years. 

The heat is what you'd expect in Miami.... it's extreme in the summer and the current AC units barely keep up with it.  Sometimes there's the feeling of cold clammy humidity I find distressing..... even when in front of a unit..... I'm too cold, yet feel too hot, bc of the humidity and that means the unit isn't able to dry out the air and cool the cottage well eough for my comfort. Oh well.  I don't plan to ever go in the summer again, if I can help it.

There's relief and serenity in the winter months and winds, even if the Atlantic is tool rough to boat, which isn't the case for my brother who is intensely committed to striking out in very iffy to bad weater and getting to the island when he's scheduled a trip. 

I've been miserable and not half as miserable as some of his boat passengers have been.  Grown men puking and peeing in their pants bc it's too dangerous to pee over the side of the boat and all I've had to deal with is having my guts pounded while I'm freezing cold.

I learned not to drink anything before we go..... I don't want to stop and pee if I don't have to and sometimes my brother WON'T stop, and I get that too.  I will, however, advocate for people who have to pee and that just seems fair..... though I try to tell them not to drink before the trip..... I'll stand by and guard them at the public dock if they want to pee in the little bit of forest..... but I want to avoid that and the risk.... there's always trash from people who live in that area or pass through and I don't ask people to guard me.  I just hope I don't have to defend myself with my pants down.

About BEING ON THE BOAT..... once you're on it, it's almost impossible to dock anywhere in Florida to go to the bathroom or order food or just TIE UP legally, before hitting big water where one CAN pee over the side.  It's about $100.00 to tie up to a dock with a hal opened store and use their bathroom... not easy to find,not sure how my brother finds it, but he likely can, again. 

That said...... I'm trying to never ever ever go onto that boat without my Frog Toggs poncho so I don't have to shiver in WET cold misery.  I prefer my misery dry, thank you very much, but it even with proper rain gear.....it's not always manageable.

I have to say..... I'm not sure I could ever talk my kids ONTO a boat ride of that length and under miserable conditions. My brother's now grown and approx same age children are tough dang stuff and they have grateful very tough SOs who just get on that boat and go baby go.  They've been on boat rides that ripped tables out of 100 f0ot yachts and my brother does this without having much experience or knowing exactly what will happen,but he KNOWS he will get there and everyone will be safe.  He also knows he would have survived the sinking of the Titanic and if anyone around him wanted to survive they should listen and follow him....then he pretends to stake himself to an iceburg while nodding with assurances HE WOULD SURVIVE and I belive him. Bravery, research and faith..... btw my brother made the crossing in half the time the yacht did with it;s fancy high paid captain.  I'm consistently astonished at my brother's abilities and I'm talking about everything to plumbing to working on trucks on the side of a busy highway in a thundrstorm to dealing with medical emergencies and electrical repairs and building boat engines and playing ping pong and operating and working on heavy equipment and trusting himself and his abilities.  Just.... amazing stuff, that.

And so....that's the island update for now and where I'm at with it.

Hopalong

« Reply #152 on: August 21, 2022, 01:07:57 PM »
Freestanding dehumidifiers?

Tinkle Belles for all! Females. Water bottles for man-pee.

Hilarious vision of your brother managing the sinking of the Titanic. I believe it!

hugs
Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #153 on: August 22, 2022, 10:13:18 AM »
Ahhhhh boat life. I'm absolutely awake, aware & full of energy on a boat. I don't get seasick and can usually be found in the bow seeking as much spray as available that day. But I think that's coz I absolutely abhor and am terrified of going in the water. Hahahahahahahahaha. Unless it's a pool. I have to be able to see the bottom.

I don't mess with electricity either Lighter. B DOES but he doesn't like it either. But the humidity issue might be improved with at least SOME insulation in the roof - even the 2" foam with reflective boards would help some. MAYBE. I have spent enough time a mile from the ocean or less, to know that when the humidity is high - there just isn't any relief from it.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

lighter

« Reply #154 on: August 22, 2022, 09:14:37 PM »
Ya, I LOVE to ride on the front of fast moving boat with big rolling waves underneath us.  It's exhilerating, and I don't mind swimming with sharks and rays and trying to pet the passing sea turtle, but the hours long, teeth chattering slog in the cold, at night, with the waves coming over the side and drenching whoever didn't prepare..... honestly, I'd wear garbage bags if I couldn't find my togs, it's
that
dang
miserable.

Amber, what insulation do you think would be BEST, if you remember or ever knew, for a seaside roof.  I was thinking foam boad bc my BIL mentioned it back in the day.  The things is.... I have beautiful rafters I don't want to cover up, so going in between them with the foam boards seeeeeems like it could work, but then.....I'll do 15 hours of research then set my mind to it when it's time. 

Hops:

That Tinker Belle device..... it's an idea, fo sho.

I don't have a lot of trouble getting my arse over the back of the boat, next to the engine, and using passing waves to dunk as a rinse, but most gals just pee on the swim platform which.... is easier, but..... I just can't.  It's a sort of dangerous hang when things are really rough..... and the Tinker Belle would resolve ALL THAT.  Brilliant.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #155 on: August 22, 2022, 11:57:24 PM »
TINKLE Belle! So exciting. So much fun. Dehumidifier/s?

I got to cross the Atlantic four times on biiiiiig liners when I was young. Seven days each way. On one trip I fell in love with all the Scandiavian elevator boys, gorgeous in gold-button uniforms. But mostly I loved being at the prow (crossing over) and the stern (coming back, reluctantly). I would stand out there for hours until my made me come back to the cabin. I'd be the only person on deck sometimes. The ocean changed me forever.

My other best boat trip was on a huge wooden sailing yacht from St. Cast, France (industrialist family whose son I met at a party) to Jersey Island and back. We fished for mackerel all night (w/buncha his brothers and gfs) and I got to translate at the island harbor for an English couple whose boat motor had quit. One of our guys was a genius mechanic -- my proudest interpreting moment. I had no idea what doohickeys he was talking about but after endless discussion I could really describe what they did; the people connected, it worked! They puttered off happy.

Such nostalgia started with y'all's sea adventures. Thanks for sharing them.

hugs
Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #156 on: August 23, 2022, 10:06:21 AM »
Yes Lighter, I think the foam board can be cut to fit between beams and then covered with the final surface, which could be painted, or varnished wood or something. It wouldn't be a LOT of insulation, mind you. But would be better than nothing.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

Hopalong

« Reply #157 on: August 23, 2022, 03:04:52 PM »
Double-layered foam board plus reflectix?

lighter

« Reply #158 on: August 23, 2022, 07:01:40 PM »
I think double layered foam on the interior but something on the exterior roof as well.  Maybe JUST under the shingles....not sure. I have lots of research to to.  As always.  And maybe my BIL will just KNOW and tell me.  I'm going for something that's better than nothing..... the entire roof will come off, dry rotted rafters need replacing and it's complicated because they run into the old part of the house..... it's always complicated, isn't it?  Yup yup yup.

Hops.... I love the idea of you traveling happily across the seas, crushing on beautiful Scandi boys and standing alone on the deck, just you and the sea and the ship.  That was how I spent my time on the ONE unhappy cruise, a divorce cruise.  The time alone, in the wind with the waves and the sturdy ship under my feet.... just sublime moments away from people and the little spaces inside the ship.  Lord, our cabin floor was tilted quite drastically..... I hardly spent a moment in it, except to sleep.  I can't remember my stbx being INSIDE the cabin with me, not once.

You so deserve interesting friends and travel and more of what you love...... you're interesting, good company and what happened to the gal you clicked with at the beach?

Hopalong

« Reply #159 on: August 23, 2022, 09:08:09 PM »
Aww, thanks, Lighter.
I really appreciate you entering that memory with me.

I'm sorry your Mama Ocean experience was a sad divorce cruise.
I've never been on a cruise but you deserve a lovely, mellow one. And we share
that memory of the ocean's acceptance. SO extraordinary.

We went through the tail end of a hurricane on the way back in '64. Wow. Huge ship was on Tilt-A-Whirl. I loved it. My poor mother was clutching everything in sight.

I'm not sure which beach gal you're referring to...oh maybe I do remember,
the one who referred me to Patio Guy, maybe. Haven't seen her much. Very nice
person but not a big friend-click. I'll need to be patient and keep meeting more
people, to find some friend with brains like I've found here!

I do have a date upcoming. A retired railroad engineer with a huge smile in his pix.
I got excited because he listed himself as "Agnostic" (another unicorn!) and stated that nobody from the ...other party... should "apply." My Dad was a train nut so we'll surely have enough in common to enjoy a yak meet. All it is, at this point.
But since I'm a week away from my personal deadline to cancel the website before another payment gets sucked out of my account, good timing for a new experiment. No worries if it clicks or clacks, it's just more practice about being open to connection.

hugs
Hops

lighter

« Reply #160 on: September 02, 2022, 10:54:50 AM »
I love to read your descriptive posts, Hops.

Tilt-A-Whirl experience sounds fun IF no vomiting involved!

Guest checking into cottage today.  The wife just learned to ride a bike for this trip, God protect her.

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #161 on: September 17, 2022, 06:54:46 PM »
It's official.

The Wi Fi on the island is substandard, bc the telephone company won't or can't update their capacity to serve their customers so everyone still pays full price for service that might be 4 out of 7 days a week when added up.  That the service comes and goes, sometimes goes for several days is a huge PITA.

We're changing out the older router and modem, but I don't think it will change anything.... but just in case.

The last guests were retired.... she's a T author writing her story about discovering her father wasn't her bio father and her h is a retired police officer turned painter.... and his oversized canvases make my heart SO HAPPY!  There's one of a lab that's joyful.

It was interesting to get reports on the missing beach chair mystery..... the h followed the drag marks and retreived the chair..... his inner cop simply refused to allow that on his watch.  The wife said he mumbled to himself the entire time he was dragging the chair.

Both h and w dealt with divorce and alienated children...... the wife was very chatty.
::nodding::.

Time to read her review.

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #162 on: October 05, 2022, 05:42:04 PM »
Review was great.  Guest checking out this morning was silent their entire trip, so happy they checked in last night with plans to return.  Some guests are so easy.

My Super Host status just renewed.  Not sure how that works.  It's a good reason not to book return guests through Airbnb, which I haven't been doing.

No complaints about Wi-Fi, electricity or water outages this rental, so.....that's good.

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #163 on: November 08, 2022, 11:08:28 AM »
Expecting high winds at the cottage. 

The Florida dick has been rented daily as shelter from the storm....a new renter has been lining up but hasn't been approved yet.

I had a sketchy guy offer a year's rent up front....assume he's trouble.  Will let dock neighbor realtor handle it.
 Lighter

lighter

« Reply #164 on: December 09, 2022, 03:58:21 PM »
The dock has a new renter filling out paperwork now.  I asked the last renter for an increase in rental fee, and it was fair... more than fair, but his boat is in repairs for the next 6 months, so I don't blame him for pulling out. 

Update on the cotrage is all good.  Utilities seem to be holding steady.  No power outages last visit, the water and water pressurere cosistent, the wifi is working consistently...... so that's all good.

The housekeeper continues to be on point and the only reason Airbnb works on the island for me......along with the handyman D.  He's keeping the wooden boarwalk on the broken seawall in good repair and making sure the roof is good and metal doors don't turn to lace. 

I'm feeling a pull to sell the place.

Lighter