Poll

What's the most important things in a vacation rental for you?

Condiments in the fridge, yes, even used
0 (0%)
Basic spices and oil
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: The island  (Read 21783 times)

sKePTiKal

Re: The island
« Reply #165 on: December 10, 2022, 08:54:31 AM »
Hmmm. I've thought for awhile that selling the island property might be advantageous to you Lighter. You have the Lake House property, are still highly engaged with the girls -- and it sounds like, sometimes, it's a bit overwhelming. If you think that it's in about as good a shape as you can make it, maybe explore the possibility with a realtor who specializes in that kind of property. (Now is decidedly a bad time to try to sell. in general though. See: higher loan interest rates, shaky economy, and inflation.)

That said, I kinda miss the little cabin I sold south of here. Yes, I have all the privacy I could want on the farm. Enough land to be able to go out on the porch nekkid to world (if I so desire) and just scream - without anyone hearing me. The ability to go park my butt SOMEWHERE ELSE, for a weekend/week - for solitude, meditation, decisions, or just change of scenry seems to be something I need, from time to time. As much as I hear about other people's lives - it's not just me, either. But, there were so many downsides to keeping that property - even though I'm only a couple hours away.

Driveway maintenance, landscaping, critters, house upkeep (or winterizing), the usual chores/upkeep that one does at "home" is doubled if one owns a rental or vacation property. I wanted a slower, less burdened lifestyle. It feels free-er; fewer obligations & responsibilities. Maybe that's what's starting to bubble up for you?
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

lighter

« Reply #166 on: December 10, 2022, 11:42:48 PM »
It's funny.... I think the property would sell pretty quick IF I got the paperwork and surveys together.  The realtor with the boat slip next to mine in Miami has been sending buyers to view it and asking to buy it himself, or half of it, for a while.  I think deciding to do it will be the difficult part.  Will see.  I'm not worried. Maybe I have too many options.  My DD22 said she wants to go to the Cottage for New Years...... seems very happy to go to the warmth.  Youngest DD20 seems to be OK with it.  Just when I think neither wants anything to do with it anymore, they want to go. 

Everyone once in a while I think about running a little retreat out of it in the winter months.

I'm shocked the island remains such a poverty stricken...... place in the stream.  Not everyone is suited to making the trip or enjoying it, will tell you that.  It's not for the faint of heart or mind. 

And I'm not sure I want a slower life.  I think I'll want to be busy for a while.... years.  Just not sure what I want to be busy at.

Whatever's coming for me..... I should really get serious about what it is, don'tcha think?

I hope you guys are enjoying this cool weather...... the last couple of days have been wicked warm.  Bet it's been warm where you are too.

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #167 on: December 13, 2022, 08:38:09 PM »
Just booked flights for the island.  Seems the family, at least most of it, is heading there after Christmas. Oldest DD is bringing one of her friends.   Not sure if my brother's kids are coming, but the Deep Sea Captain is bringing the second boat so I know he'll be there, likely with his lovely gf and maybe one of her children.... I think she has two. 

I'm going to be very mindful about vay k shion ing.  Hmm.... vacationing. 

I think I'd like to learn how to find the best diving and fishing spots I can reach with the raft.... must remember to pack a patch... I think.  It would be a complete game changer is I could motor around on my own and take food at will.  Maybe will order a new wrist sling and extra spears.... never handled one, btw.  Know nothing about it except must be close and not ruin the tips with rocks. 

I'm actually looking forward to this trip.

sKePTiKal

« Reply #168 on: December 14, 2022, 01:22:31 PM »
Sounds like fun Lighter, even tho the diving part isn't my cup o' tea... there are things in that water that can eat me. (so there's my achilles heel... no, the bears & lions & eagles don't bother me, go figure)

I'm trying to play kitchen wench baking again, but it's going really slow - with a lot of interruptions and today I'm outta sorts coz of the ice storm moving in.  EEK... it won't be horrible and B is here till the weekend. He'll be back in 3 weeks, this time. And he keeps reminding me, "going back" isn't "going home". Home is here, now. Warts & all.

Hopalong

« Reply #169 on: December 14, 2022, 03:51:11 PM »
"going back" isn't "going home". Home is here, now.

Awww, bless 'im.

I like that B!

hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

lighter

« Reply #170 on: December 15, 2022, 10:06:23 AM »
 About fear and the ocean.  I'm fascinated and exhilarated by it.  Maybe terrified by its depth, but the beautiful blue shallows invite me.

I've been fearful of sharks....snorkeling happily on the island. I have a nervous laugh so it sounded like some awful demon laughing through the snorkel  in my ears as I looked off in the distance for an approaching shark that never appeared.  I don't do that to myself anymore.  Bad idea.

I've wished sharks would get me during my first marriage.  Divorce put an end to that.

Now, I'm just assuming I'll be fine in crystal clear water..  Humans aren't on the list of preferred shark foods.....I try to remember that.  Murky water isn't for me.

There are times I'm forced to question myself....like when French boy and I were on the HUGE raft, gently floating over the reef with the tide on our bellies, dive masked faces in the water looking at the different fish families. 2 locals appeared very concerned about our faces being torn off.  And I will tell you.....my carefully cultivated chill wavered a bit.  I was surprised at their level of concern.  Obviously, they've seen and experienced things elevating their caution. I noted their concern.

The housekeeper thinks swimming on the reef is a sharky idea she doesn't at all care for.  That's concerning, imo.

Local divers talk about encounters with hammerhead sharks, "beeeg" sharks and that ruffles my chill in January, Feb and March.  I admit that.

The thing is, fishing boats go past the cottage in the afternoons and the sharks know the fish cleaning stations are going to be busy.  The sharks swim by the Cottage going in and out of the harbor.  Sometimes we through a fishing line out and reel in a fish only to  it bitten in half by a passing shark and THAT reminds me of the movie JAWS.  I'm not going swimming at night in the Atlantic, for sure.

Now, that said, I've seen sharks attracted to a appeared lobster and I intend to take lobsters.  Maybe spear some fish, if I'm lucky.  THAT, for me, means I'll drop any speared fish or lobster if sharks show up....like the locals do.  Getting back into the raft, with an interested shark circling, seems like a good idea too.  I'm guessing there will be some squealing and rushing, but all will be well. 

I know "the boy" used to gather fish and lobster on our beach with a wrist sling all day long when on the island....the boy was my niece's Tarzan like boyfriend. I've seen little 2 man John boats with men diving into the water for lobster and conch near the Cottage.

I can do that. 
I think; )

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #171 on: December 15, 2022, 12:44:41 PM »
Fear-stirring.
Same thing I do in other areas of life.

In recent years since I only wind up at the ocean some Octobers I haven't been swimming in the waves for ages. For me, the ocean has become something to look at and listen to, gift enough. I don't fish there but should own what I eat. Can't do lobstah.

Lighter, I see your excitement over being at the cottage, while also imagining your relief when you're pondering selling. However you decide, it is/has been/will be/was a menaingful place in your life.

hugs
Hops

lighter

« Reply #172 on: December 15, 2022, 03:56:53 PM »
It's an interesting to focus....or shift focus to the best memories of a place, person or thing as I'm attempting with the Cottage, Hops.

"The boy" had me running through a ground pounding thunder storm during a stay in my home.  I was terrified I'd be electrocuted, but at the same time exhilarated and moving with purpose as I ran to make our phones dry then ran back to the raging creek we were work/playing in.....garthering beautiful rocks and crawfish/salamanders...just tromping through it in the rain, like children...was amazing.  Overcoming that fear felt amazing. 

It's the same with the Ocean.... the ocean, a storm, lightening, the wind could destroy me without noticing my presence.  That can be terrifying and shut me down or it can be scary while I embrace, invite, join and overcome my fear.

Right now I'm feeling like buying a fish cleaning glove and embracing everything, though I'm still not one for crowds. 

About owning our food....ya.  There's something primal in fishing/gathering, cleaning and preparing wild food.  I want to learn more about the plants and have some fresh tomatoes and peppers growing too, but for now.....the fish cleaning glove and 10 gallons of paint is on my list this trip.

Anyone know anything about marine paint?

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #173 on: January 09, 2023, 08:15:45 AM »
We tried to leave Friday but big waves knocked out navigation about 12 miles out.....Ft.Lauderdale is 45 miles....had to turn back.

We're readying to leave by 9:30.  The extra time meant bunk room AC drain fixed, washer leak fixed, paint touch up done, threw out all moldy things and it feels so good in cottage today!!!!

Will write about the trip in a day or so.  9 people in the cottage, the 7.......  I feel....surprisingly calm and centered🌞
Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #174 on: January 09, 2023, 08:31:26 AM »
I hope conditions are better today Lighter! It's helpful to picture a warm tropical spot about now, from my very chilly (but not wintry) mountain.

lighter

« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2023, 12:10:04 AM »
We left around noon...some of 9ur adult children partied very hard till 5am at the bar down the driveway.  Getting tourists drunk is a favorite island pastime.  Doesn't appeal to me at all.

Boat ride was dry, warm and pretty darn calm.  I drive 11 hours back after landing....just jumped in the car and went.  Home and asleep by 2:30 am.  Youngest DD is a wonderful co pilot and we talked a lot both ways.

Have the cottage booked out the last week in February for sibs.  Will likely go with them. 

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #176 on: January 19, 2023, 03:24:44 PM »
Truth be told, I don't want or need to hear about every fluctuation in water pressure....or that 2 guys were sitting in the patio lounge chairs "waiting for fruends" or  the water heater is putting out "tepid" water only or the Wi-Fi is still out and could I "stay on the water and phone companies" bc the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

I so very clearly told the guest about the Wi-Fi being out on our entire side if the Island.

She can see work on the water main is ongoing as city water extension continues South.  Guest took pictures of the work.  She knows.

This guest has gone to the phone company, both times she's been a guest, to enquire about my service THEN asked I contact them, bc they refused to talk to her, bc she's not the account holder. 

She's a can-do bear.  I appreciate her tenacity....admire it in a way, but I'm going to remind her what's worth her time worrying and what's not.

I'm writing about this bc I want her to have an amazing vacation....I notice a tendency to worry and do mindlessly, but catch it quick lately.

I have very little or zero control over the things vexing her.  I would control them if I could.

I can't so I go back to being present in the moment.  Baby girl Pug getting teeth cleaned today, bum and paws too.  She woke up at 1pm.....doing fine, but needs 3.5 hours recovery before pick up.  I bet she's all...what the hell...my bum, my paws my choppers I'm sleepy feed me!!

Love that pug!!

The cottage is in great shape.  Better than last year during her stay.  All the "suggestions" she made have been tended to and I'm gonna enjoy a meal with oldest DD then collect the pug: )

Lighter

Water, power, weather and Wi-Fi are beyond my control.

That's island life on an island

sKePTiKal

« Reply #177 on: January 20, 2023, 09:01:03 AM »
I am absolutely a fan of acknowledging and then letting go fussing over the things we can't control, Lighter. It's still an acquired skill for me too; B & I are taking turns reminding each other of this.

Have you thought more about maybe selling the cottage in the future?

Hopalong

« Reply #178 on: January 20, 2023, 05:28:34 PM »
Glad you can enjoy landlord worries, Lighter.
And I know you enjoy your own respites there.

I know I crave having less to do and less to be responsible for these days, but you're younger....

hugs
Hops

lighter

« Reply #179 on: February 16, 2023, 11:47:28 AM »
I'm 50/50 decided to go to island with my sibs, BIL and niece.

Youngest DD still navigating college and recovering from a virus, but getting her parking pass today.  If I thought she'd be fine, I'd go. 

My sister had a high blood pressure reading and is waiting to see heart doc as I write this.

I should go to the island.

Lighter