Poll

What's the most important things in a vacation rental for you?

Condiments in the fridge, yes, even used
0 (0%)
Basic spices and oil
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: The island  (Read 22508 times)

Hopalong

Re: The island
« Reply #180 on: June 12, 2023, 01:13:34 AM »
Glad it's going happily, Lighter.
The island place must be a wonderful retreat.

But guests who aren't smart enough to put sandals out of reach of a puppy...I think they're the ones who should be anxious. In a different country you're supposed to control a PUPPY? Whose expectation about that is in your head?

I guess I mean, whose voice is it? Does somebody in your head enjoy bringing you fear or alarm? (I have one. She's my mother; anxiety incorporated.)

hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

lighter

« Reply #181 on: June 16, 2023, 01:41:19 PM »
Ya.... they should have put their shoes out of the way, man you are right about that. but I did't know there was a puppy, so they didn't know and shoes were chewed before they had a chance to process.  Airbnb asks for that kind of information, up front, before people book, so they're aware.    Not sure how to put away exposed skin and relax on a beach with an excited puppy either.  Those guests didn't leave a review, thank God. 

IN a couple weeks guests are bringing their Pomeranian.... tiny little, fragile thing is almost 2 yo.  Still a puppy.  Can you imagine what it's hopping about, barking will look like to a baby pitty?  I imagine it will appear as an exciting little chew toy. 

I don't know about your expectations for a pitty puppy on premises, but I hear the theme music from Jaws.  Sure,   there's a cute spotted white pitty puppy frolicking happily in slow motion, but the theme still plays.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #182 on: June 16, 2023, 07:06:01 PM »
Ahhh.

Well I guess you just tell the potential guests about the baby pitty, and let them make their own decision?

Who needs a gratitous overlay of extra responsibility when it's so easily yielded to those who should decide for themselves?

hugs
Hops

lighter

« Reply #183 on: June 18, 2023, 10:54:18 PM »
Ahhh.

Well I guess you just tell the potential guests about the baby pitty, and let them make their own decision?

Who needs a gratitous overlay of extra responsibility when it's so easily yielded to those who should decide for themselves?

hugs
Hops

And what words, exactly, would you use to relay this informatoin to guests, Hops?

sKePTiKal

« Reply #184 on: June 19, 2023, 08:40:26 AM »
FYI, the hurricane watchers are already looking at 2 storms in the eastern Atlantic. The first one is now at a 90% chance of developing; on the standard storm track too. There will be a lot of hyperventilating weather reports about it the end of the week.   ;)
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

Hopalong

« Reply #185 on: June 19, 2023, 11:01:24 AM »
I guess because adorable sweet "pitties" are all over the internet now, I think the general breed has lost some of its fearsomeness, imo. The label's confusing.

Wording?

So glad you're bringing your pup. Be aware there's an enthusiastic mutt-pit-mix puppy there too who's been known to eat sandals, so best store those out of reach. Far as I know it doesn't eat poms, though, and two puppies is more fun than one. You might want to supervise their first playtime just to see how they do. HAVE FUN.

How's that?

lighter

« Reply #186 on: June 19, 2023, 06:21:09 PM »
That was a lovely chipper way to put it, Hops.

::hearing Jaws theme song in the background::.

Unknowns are something I struggle with, particularly as I know a lot about Pom puppies....they're  FRAGILE!!
I know almost nothing about this little beauty pitty pup, except she's adorable and likes to play and chew and be a puppy. 

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #187 on: June 21, 2023, 03:39:09 PM »
This would be a breathe and let it go moment, maybe?

Fragile or not, THEY are on the island and THEY are in charge of their own puppy, fragile or not, right? Surely they've been in charge of protecting it from bouncier dogs before...

Not to belabor it but even unknown, it seems like responsibility over-reach and anxiety-creating. Be lovely if you didn't do that to yourself in lotsa situations.

You deserve not to be anxiety-ridden.

hugs
Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #188 on: June 22, 2023, 08:55:07 AM »
Everything that potentially COULD happen, won't, Lighter.

Hopalong

« Reply #189 on: June 22, 2023, 12:15:49 PM »
Lighter -- do you seek out scary movies, ever? Or watch them with friends?

Seeking out fear is a fun thing to some and hide-under-bed misery to others. Your mentions of "Jaws" music reminded me of how much audience laughter erupted alongside their shrieks during the movie.

Plenty of very nice, very sane people enjoy movies I don't even want to think about. And maybe that's another way of finding out who we are.

I can't watch horror movies, EVER, but do enjoy and seek out thrillers of the Jason Bourne variety (and a few worse.)

For me it's partly whether my present life has enough stimulation. Jaws themes or gory poms -- are these flashes signs of stress? Hmmmm. MIGHT want to take up ... dunno ... bungie jumping? Or I know, memoir writing! I swear it'll give you very satisfying, on the edge, adrenalin rushes....

I wonder how somatic it all is, and how complex the variability among all of us and how amazing our unique and individeal wiring is. Sensation-seeking. Some seek a scrap of velvet, others free climb up a rock face. (My friend Gennulman did that for years, amazing photos of him like a ladybug on a wall very high in the Rockies, nothing but balance and finger strength keeping him safe. I can barely look at the pix.)

A current favorite of mine that is, ironically, very comforting -- surprising me every time. 24 Hours in A&E (BBC documentary about a trauma center hospital in the U.K. -- won a load of awards, it's brilliantly done). Completely unscripted. They put about 300 cameras in emergency depts but spend as much time on the ordinary people being brave and loving and lots of small human moments/interactions as they do the drama of injuries/illnesses. It's the attitude and the compassion and the remarkable goodness of so many people -- plus extraordinary editing, that make it so compelling to me. It's like a bedtime story. Not as weird as it sounds, if you watch a few ... you'll see what I mean.

lighter

« Reply #190 on: June 22, 2023, 01:57:36 PM »
About the Pom.....
when we had a family gathering at a step sister's home, she kept her little bitty Pom dog...grown by ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

lighter

« Reply #191 on: June 22, 2023, 02:18:20 PM »
I'm too old to deal with a second pit bull at the Cottage.

It's not something I want to deal with. 

Hopalong

« Reply #192 on: June 22, 2023, 02:25:27 PM »
Oh. Well that sounds legit.
I didn't realize this was a new/second resdient dog at your property.

So, logically, don't landlord rights include this kind of choice?

Who owns it?
Can't you tell them they must find a home for this pup?
If you can, are you required to justify your decision?

lighter

« Reply #193 on: June 24, 2023, 11:51:28 AM »
Sometimes the "caretaker's" cousins bring their pit bulls around the cottage.... all the pitties are related.  I've made hard eye contact with several adult dogs while theyr'e left to roam as cousins hung out in the guest house.... found myself gaging the distance to the cottage door and how quickly I could manage it.   Mainly, bc of stories I heard locals tell at the ferry about being chased onto car hoods and garbage can lids.....not sure if they were the same EXACT dogs, but they're all from the same place.

I'm happy to report the dogs had very little interest in me and those visits seem to have slowed.  I think it's bc there's more going on at the Cottage. People on islands treat property different when it's sitting empty for long stretches, IME.

The housekepper said she'll make sure the puppy is secure during Pom Mom's visit and that's good enough for me. I trust housekeeper completely and I let her know that guest will have cash for her UNLESS something happens to mess up the arrangement.

It's ironic "caretaker's" main job is security on the premises.

BTW, the Pom Mom said they're celebrating the Pom's 2nd birthday at the Cottage, complete with a cake.  I think it's going to be a bigger celebration than the 4th of July for them!  Pom Mom sent pics..... the thing looks like a little pointy nosed lion....blonde with a huge mane.  Adorable.

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #194 on: June 24, 2023, 11:55:58 AM »
Hol rescued Knuckles off the Baltimore streets as a puppy. He was never destructive - here. He did try to eat a couch at her place in B'more. He was alone alot there. He's not full pit; a mix. And she raised a full one before and had Ghengis for 16 years. He was one big baby.

IMO, the psychology of these dogs is just a bit different than most people understand. It requires a completely shift in point of view on training too. All the regular things like consistency & kindness still apply, but pits' number 1 "need" is to feel secure and know their position in their "pack" - their family. She's done well with Knuckles, altho' the food aggressiveness is still there. They cope with it and accomodate that. He's stepping into his "big brother" role with the new puppy Kiri (who is bigger than he is at 6 months) very well and they're play buddies. He's set his boundaries with Kiri clearly and firmly - and she's not a reactive dog like he is. Always yields.

But she feels like a mom with 3 pre-schoolers at home right now! LOLOL. Kiri's starting to get integrated throughout the house, off lead, with the other 2 boys so Hol is being a bit hypervigilant to avoid any big confrontations.

Too many people these days, don't understand that dogs need a "job"; have self-esteem issues too - and want to please their people. They aren't some robot cute "accessory" - and even the tiniest dogs can be aggressive if they feel threatened.