Poll

What's the most important things in a vacation rental for you?

Condiments in the fridge, yes, even used
0 (0%)
Basic spices and oil
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: The island  (Read 22500 times)

lighter

Re: The island
« Reply #195 on: June 24, 2023, 01:12:59 PM »
Funny you mention pitties.... the cowgirl was walking her unleashed pitty lab mix one street over from ours recently.  Actually, that dog looks much more lab than pitty, but you can see the brindle coat in the sun.  Cowgirl had her arm in a sling and I stopped to pat the dog and ask about the arm.  She'd tripped on tree roots and cracked her dominant arm near the shoulder socket. Very unfortunate, but she has bone density problems too.  The neighbor-fellow was blowing off his curb with a loud blower,which he turned on the dog while yelling....."that dog should be on a leash!"  Things got very tense, bc the dog began growling, at that point.

Cowgirl should have had a leash, of course. 

Cowgirl walked home.  I scooped the dog into my backseat and dropped her in her yard.... she's unwilling to walk far with the Pug and me when we take her with us.  She yearns to be near her home.... super devoted, animal.   If I was ever going to have another large dog, that would be the only one I'd take.  Really a sweet heart and it's difficult not to love animals who love us back with such open hearts.  I noticed the pointy growths in her ears have come back, poor thing. 

You sure know a lot about Pitties, Amber!  I wasn't built to train dogs. ANY dogs, lol.  Lately, I whisper to the Pug and she listens better than she ever has.  I think I used to chatter chatter chatter, but now we walk in silence.  All communication is meaningful and has purpose.  I wish I'd known that years ago. 
Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #196 on: June 24, 2023, 09:53:34 PM »
Funny you mention whispering. Hol uses a "command voice" with her dogs. But when I would keep Knuckles, I'd talk softly to him - and he listened quite well for me. Seldom have to raise my voice with him. And he learned to play gently with me too; we still tussle sometimes when he's feeling "full of it", but he's 5-6 years old now and isn't the handful he was when he was a pup.

I think it's acceptance & safety that earns respect and with a reactive dog, sometimes you CAN get their attention better by being "still" and calm, rather than dominating. Not always of course.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

lighter

« Reply #197 on: June 25, 2023, 02:54:13 PM »
Dogs are smart. 

When playing with Pug, DD 22 always makes sure to let the Pug get her hand or toy,  eventually....  frustration and rougher play are averted.  I remember thinking "that makes such sense!" 

Taking the noise levels down, in every way, is helpful for everyone, me'thinks.

Except with music. Lovely, happy music playing...... singing and dancing...... that's another story: )

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #198 on: June 25, 2023, 03:25:55 PM »
I got mad at Pooch yesterday and raised my voice, which has occurred two or three times in a decade. (She really overdoes the front-door protection roaring so the poor delivery guy can't hear himself ask me a question. I've seen them nearly sprint away.)

She's still giving me side-eye and I still feel guilty.

It's going to take some extra treats and bellyrubs. She forgave me for foster rescue eventually, so I imagine we'll reconcile. Sigh.

hugs and woofs,
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

Hopalong

« Reply #199 on: June 26, 2023, 06:11:16 PM »
Fully forgiven today.

Whew!

:)
Hops

lighter

« Reply #200 on: June 27, 2023, 01:59:57 PM »
Not the side eye, Hops! 

The pug has the saddest little side eye with those permanent little worried forehead wrinkles.

If she's holding grudge, she gets in her bed and turns her back on us. THat's how we know she's not ready to forgive us for pointing the squirt bottle at her..... she really hates being wet.... we don't squirt her in the face. 

lighter

« Reply #201 on: June 29, 2023, 12:23:29 AM »
The Pom had surgery 2 days ago but Pom Mom wants her to heal on the island. 

So....tiny little bones, tiny little sutures and a tiny little lion's mane...... they arrive a day early, very early in the morning.

Here we go.

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #202 on: July 05, 2023, 03:22:23 PM »
The Pom was fine, thank God. 

The rest of this post is a bit of a rant.... just working my way through...... getting a grip on what 's to come and there's always somethig on the island. 
The Pom Mom let me know the citt water us experiencing lowered water pressure.  I guess on the entire island during the increased holiday's tourist season, but she didn't know that. This is new and complicated by the indoor shower's drain blockage due to rust, bc galvanized pipes.  Housekeeper said there was no change or problems when she set up cottage during the week so this is new and unfolding trouble with high tourist season.  Things seemed normal last week.

It used to be we had great water pressure and everyone South had very little, or zero..... the people at the far South side have their water trucked in.  They have limited pressure and have to be very careful to conserve esp to keep from running the tank dry, which will ruin the pump.... as I understand it.

I'm just saying..... everyone with city water now has trouble.... I think.... on our side, perhaps..... and I'm not sure if that's all the time or just during high tourist season. 

I don't know if the North island has pressure or is it just our side being impacted.   I don't know who knows or if anyone knows, bc that's how things seem to go.  Cometence and leadership don't seem to be something the utility companies require, leaning more towards less exensive employees without experience and I get that, but..... half the power plant burned down bc of that firing and hig habit.  I doubt it's paying off in the long run. 

I don't know if the line will be run further South..... which seems really nuts, since the system can't handle what it has now.  Water service is $90.00 a month  and that's if you're using zero gallons, btw. There's a set number of gallons, we never reach, then more charges for overage.

This is the first tourist season since they installed the water lines South. 

I don't know if these guests understand the entire island was involved, not just the Cottage, bc 2 days with a blocked shower drain was upsetting, understandably, and when folks are upset, they don't resason very well, IME.  There's an outdoor shower and I actually prefer using that one, so I didn't see a crisis situation for them, then the daughter reported a "bad smell" coming from the standing water in the shower, which I interpreted as sewer water smell,. but was just the smell of standing water, turns out.  It's funny how people miss the fact..... they're no longer in a First World Country when on the island.  There's ONE plumber.... just ONE and I depend on the relationship my housekeeper has with him to get any attention at all...... and if pushed, the plumber just stops answering the phone and decides not to come at all.  Guests research plumbers and go about asking locals for a plumber's name and send photos of the standing water to the nice appliance repairman they grabbed onto as a possible solution then text and text and text all day Monday till the plumber shows and NO ONE tells me he showed or that he fixed the problem temporarily or if the fix is substantial.  I still don't know anything except it seems time to redo the bathroom without my go-to guy. 

Trying to figure out what the EXACT problems were, to troubleshoot them, was vastly complicated by the changing water pressure problems..... and it remains an unknown..... I have to accept I can't know right now.

I'd like to have the housekeeper and "caretaker" clue me in.... let me know the entire island is experiencing a change in water pressure, yet..... it was the plumber, who slipped us into his very full Monday schedule, who said he could do nothing about the pressure, which wasn't JUSt the shower pressure, but the entire Cottage, but maybe not before the weekend began.  I had to piece this together through many questions...... I guess people who live on the island are very flat about it and not interested in talking about it, bc they just don't. 

The idea, perhaps necessity, of hooking up the under cottage cisterns again is driving me to distraction.  Maybe it's fair that occupants further South finally get to pay $90.00 a month and get some pressure while those of us who've had good pressure go back to cisterns to retain decent pressure.  That means adding a big pump, dealing with chlorine again and routing the gutters back into the cisterns....
and i think my handy man is gone.  Poof.  Another surprise, but I can't find his number or any chats in this new phone.  Every else's chats are there, but not him. 

Houekeeper going on vacation and I might go and spend some time there, go to Nassau to deal with paperwork and figure out how to go forward. DD20 is driving with more confidence to school now that she's  looking both ways before proceeding through a green light..... there seem to be so many people blowing through red lights around here..... maybe it was yellow when they decided to speed up and blow the red,but they're running super red lights in this area.   Is that happening where you guys live too?

We joke about people running red lights now, which seems wrong, but there it is.  I'll resist blaming the Snow Birds from Florida, but it seems like tourist season is having an impact on many things right now.   What is it about people in Florida cutting off other drivers when using their turn signals? It's a thing, and I've the same thing from friends living there. We have super short entrance ramps on our highways... I mean, dangerously short and tourist season is making that more dangerous too.

Maybe the water company will figure this out and not just charge a bunch more people for the same really crap water pressure?  Maybe this is a temporary hiccup? 

::thinking about how to spin this in the Airbnb description of the Cottage::. 

Glamping....
with outdoor bathing in the Atlantic? 

Cleaning dishes was always a PITA, but it's really hard without running water, IME.  I have to say..... I bring a stack of paper plates when I go, bc I really hate washing dishes, esp LOTS of dishes for a group in a small kitchen.  The island only sells those styrophoam plates, which I refuse to purchase or use.....
::doing the math in my head

How many paper plates does $90.00 buy AND could I just punch a hole through the bathroom wall to run the hose connected to the cistern and already on a pump?  Could I put an on off valve at the end of that hose to control the flow?  These are the ramblings of a person who doesn't undstand plumbing enough to resolve her current issues, yup yup yup.

The jouorney continues.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #203 on: July 05, 2023, 03:43:51 PM »
Oooof. What a kettle of fish to manage from a country away.

Are you concerned about climate crisis impact on your island property?

I thought of you reading this story today. (Once lived on the Eastern Shore of Md.)
https://wapo.st/3r7n3PC

But I'm a worrier.

hugs
Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #204 on: July 06, 2023, 07:42:11 AM »
Lighter - on the water/plumbing issues:

check out the off-grid water systems used in some tiny homes/homesteads. Usually involves a rainwater collection into a plastic tank or IBC container, a pump, a pressure tank (to give that water a boost)... and then drains into septic tank system (which are usually more complex). Note that septic systems are frowned upon, in hurricane zones due to flooding/erosion. And plastic usually needs to be opaque, to prevent algae etc from growing in hot climates.

Youtube is full of videos with how-tos and explanations of how they work. These kinds of systems do require more maintenance & "watching"... but water is the most critical human "need". And you're dependent on mother nature to provide the rain. Aussies & Portugese homesteaders seem to use these water systems a lot more than we do in the US.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

lighter

« Reply #205 on: July 08, 2023, 09:46:48 PM »
OK, Hops..... my girls feel differently about selling the cottage.  One says NOW NOW NOW.  The other says.... Nope, please don't.

And so..... hurricanes scare the crap out of me..... climate change is super problematic when perched on the Atlantic's edge... I mean... just sitting there, all alone..... unprotected.  Takes months, perhaps years off my life during hurricane season.

Amber.... the Cottage and Guest Cottage were both on cistern systems when we bought the place.  I scalded my MIL with too much chlorine in the guest cottage tank.... I had no idea what I was doing.  Our tank was much larger and I did fine. That water is crystal clear, btw..... I don't think it was so clear when we were using it.

I think I'll put in a new pump when the plumber rebuilds the shower and changes out the old rusty pipes.  I'm going to Zelle plumber money right this second....the first change I have since receiving the invoice.

This morning I had the Cottage housekeeper go to the cottage and turn on the water, which was painful and took her to the road where the water company is working on the water main. Seems the ebbing water pressure is now a drip drip drip from every faucet.  Last week the only fauce not working was the indoor shower. 

The workers said the water main is broken and the part they need will be on a freighter the 17th, and maybe they'll get it fixed soon after that.  Hard to say. That's all I needed to hear before I freaked out and cancelled guests for the 11th and 14th.... really really painful to lose that business, but it's done now and I feel better.
the Indian gentleman assisting me from AirBnb was very polite,. but he had a way of saying things with 2 times the words necessary an freaked me out over and over again, then wouldn't let me off the phone... not even sure why.  He just kept repeating stuff and saying it differently and I'm guessing extrovert. 

The Pom Mom wrote a scathing review.... I mean..... I can tell she did her research, read the other reviews and my  website then dug in and made it personal.  I mean.... really personal.  It's too bad I only have 495 characters to respond bc I'm a pro by now.   I did copy ONE key text in my response then apologized for not realizing she'd never been to the island before..... her DIL used the "we" to explain they liked the condos, but they "didn't take puppers" so she was doing her best to save their vacation and was grateful to find our amazing property...... but "we" didn't include the MIL who expected a traditional vacation NOT on a little fishing village island with ebbing water pressure, tropical bugs and it's my job to weed out the people who aren't a good fit for the property.  We both paid the price. Pom Mom surprised me by not talking about the clogged shower drain, which I had the plumber out to fix the next day with acid and digging up the yard.... she never mentioned THAT. She complained about the island wide problem.... the poor water flow every single property with city water was experiencing.  Certainly the condos they were booked into before the dog problem, had worse problems bc they're a quarter mile farther down the water line than I am, so.......lesson learned.  I'm ready to sell it.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #206 on: July 10, 2023, 12:05:12 AM »
Given climate events it may take longer than expected, Lighter, but my guess is it will be an enormous relief if you do sell.

Fingers crossed for you -- sometimes attachments to place bind our feet.

hugs
Hops

PS I just saw my family home online for sale and had a good time looking for the first time at the extensive renovations the people I sold it to did, including a new screened in porch, almost every finish, a new suite, etc. Looked amazing. So one day you can do the same I hope.

lighter

« Reply #207 on: August 03, 2023, 06:53:06 PM »
The water main is still down with plans to begin repairs tomorrow....... but the boat traffic has hindered efforts.  The water main break is under the Atlantic.....and the last time that happened it took months to repair AND they cut the electric line doing it.

Will see how this goes.  I just hope this is figured out by the time my renter on the 11th arrives.

lighter

« Reply #208 on: August 13, 2023, 04:34:34 PM »
The guest set for arrival on the 11th decided he was up for a more rustic experience at the Cottage.... he was trying to recreate his childhood experience with his father and I'm thinking he's getting the rustic experience he wanted. 

The water main is still down, the power company is struggling with tech problems AND higher numbers of tourists in high season, so the power's been out at least once during their stay along with zero water during evening hours, but very low pressure in the day.... and the wifi is out...... no surprises there.

In the meantime, my go to handyman shot me a text.... and it's weird bc he comes up under another name in my contacts.  I thought he he dropped off the face of the island, but he's checking on the cottage and looking into installing a new pump to the cisterns for back up water, just in case. 

He checked the roof and boardwalk too.  All seems pretty stable right now.

Housekeeper is having back problems..... herniated disk.....she needs more time to clean the cottage now. 

The "caretaker" stopped answering my texts during this guest's stay, which is frustrating.  He was answering texts regularly for a day, then.... poof.... nothing.

The water main is supposed to be fixed by Monday.  I'll hope for the best and see how it goes before cancelling the next booking.

I'm not sure how to list WIFI on the Airbnb site.  I keep it so guests can talk and text, but it's not been strong enough to support streaming on tv for a while.  I say that on the site, but it might be wifi isn't working at all.  It's difficult to get answers and I suspect everything is on and off, up and down, etc. 

I'm just gonna accept and try to get on with what I can do.

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #209 on: August 15, 2023, 12:31:16 PM »
After struggling at length to set up online payment methods with the housekeeper, I finally got her caught up this morning and that's going to work from now on, thank God.  I think the housekeeper saw it was possible to figure out after I got the plumber paid on Zelle.  They must have family members in the States.....but it's a PITA.  Has anyone heard of the Remitly app?  A realtor told me she uses it for all her Int'l payments and it's easy and trustworthy.

The recent guest texted his gratitude for the vacation experience he had with his father..... the wifi never came up at all and I have no idea how the water situation worked or didn't work out.  "caretaker" said the water was OFF in the evenings and trickled during the day.  There were 2 buckets at the Cottage and I assume the Cottage and Guest Cottage each got one.  That's the kind of stuff I worry about and WANT to ask about, but generally don't get answers about when i do.

The guest said he got to slow down and disconnect, which is what our guests generally look for.  Expectations are everything, IME.

I only charged him 1/3 the summer rate and the cleaning fee, so he had incentive to be patient and find his joy.

The cottage shower needs to be redone and I have my favorite handyman checking on installing another cistern pump, as backup.  It'll prolly be up and running after the water line is repaired, but we do what we can do.

Lghter