Poll

What's the most important things in a vacation rental for you?

Condiments in the fridge, yes, even used
0 (0%)
Basic spices and oil
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: The island  (Read 22501 times)

lighter

Re: The island
« Reply #210 on: August 22, 2023, 04:25:53 PM »
Things are moving quickly on the island.

My brother is shipping an army field bathroom..... it seems to be a 20' container with sink, shower, toilet  and other stuff I didn't quite catch.  Brother says it will take the pressure off the cottage bathroom and he's got that right if all this happens.

He's also shipping another container and newer golf cart/s.  He's tired of doing non stop maintenance on the two limping carts in the container bursting with them and all the tools. 

I assume the third 20'er will hold carts and fishing gear... I'm sure he has a plan.  I'll try to remember to send one of those lock protectors, so the locks are cut off. 

He's also sending a machine to start the seawall, which would be HUGE.

I have the new journeyman/handyman scheduled in to work on the cottage shower in November.  All the rusted pipes need to be replaced,but brother thinks they can be rotor rooted out with a cutting snake to buy more time.   The guest cottage bathrooms has to be over 20 years old and needs some care, as well. 

Thinking about this makes me very hungry.

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #211 on: August 23, 2023, 02:25:36 PM »
"caretaker" reports repairs are going well and should be done a few days before next guest's arrival. 

Since these newly weds will already be on island, with a dive group, I feel less strain to figure this out.  They can jus find another Airbnb if the water doesn't get fixed. 

PLEASE send some competent energy todard the Bahamas today..... to help the water works guys.

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #212 on: August 29, 2023, 02:19:45 PM »
The first full pay guest since....what?  The end of June?  Is checking in tomorrow. 

From what I can tell.... the water pressure is still shite,but less so.... it's working,but reliably POORLY if I ready "caretaker's" message right.  I wasn't sure all the problems would be solved, so I'm not dissapointed.

The wifi is OUT at the Cottage and no one told me till I asked yesterday which had me phoning the one repairman on the island and setting him up to meet caretaker today.  Then I called the phone company and reported the entire line to the street might need replacing as the service has been terrible or non existent for a couple years. 

I sure hope it's at least limping along for tomorrow's guests.

I wonder if the pitty puppy has grown much since I last saw pics of her.

Lighter

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #213 on: September 02, 2023, 02:54:23 PM »
Hope it all went well, Lighter, it does sound like there's always another problem after solving the last one!  I'd hope visitors get that things are different there to how they'd be at home.  You'd like to think that with beautiful beaches and so much to see and do they wouldn't miss wifi but I know what people are like about being online these days.  Hope it didn't turn into a headache for you, anyway xx

lighter

« Reply #214 on: September 03, 2023, 11:21:08 PM »

The guest....
1) had a worry getting to the other side of the island bc the ferries stopped running bc a storm blew in THEN they got to the Cottage,not sure how.
2) The wife was down and no one told me till I ASKED the day before the guest showed up.  By some miracle, I accidentally called the tech guy on the island who said he go by that day THEN the wrong ferry was running and he didn't have 3 dollars to ride on the ferry that does't let the Phone company eimployees ride for free BUT my housekeeper drove up to the ferry as I was beginning to panic and paid his way so he could figure out the problem.  He texted "fixed" then ignored my question about what the problem was.
3)the guest texted very happy the first day of their stay and I wasn't worrying about them at all.  They'd stayed on the island for a week before landing at the Cottage.
4) Guest left a 5 star review BUT ended with "we bathed in the ocean 2 steps from the cottage."

Ummmm.... IS THERE STILL NO WATER?  I was told the water company fixed the problem but it'snot full pressure.  WHY bathe in the ocean?

I can't go back and ask them.....can't bring myself to,but the "caretaker" said pessure is about back to normal, so I asked him what that meant EXACTLY.

Apparently it completely out about 5 hours in the early morning hours and still goes out and isn't as strong as it was, quite.

I don't know if the shower has enough pressure to work STILL!!!  How do I not know this?

There's always going to be something to work on, replace or accept on the island, Hops.  That's the nature of these things.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #215 on: September 04, 2023, 02:16:27 PM »
I've come to realize that's why you love this project, Lighter.
Responsbility, detail and pressure are good adrenaline for you.

I just had been mentally translating those into stress and anxiety (my own weakness) instead of seeing: you thrive on complexity and challenge. And do it well! I think I was confused because I thought you'd decided to sell.

(I got nothin' to say on real estate threads but am glad you enjoy them.)

Here's to water pressure and balmy breezes!

hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

lighter

« Reply #216 on: September 05, 2023, 04:05:06 PM »
Oh... selling on a third world island isn't like selling stocks.

It's going to take awhile, Hops.  In the meantime, I try to rent the place and have it functioning..... selling will be easier and qucker if it doesn't return to zombie land.

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #217 on: September 12, 2023, 01:55:15 PM »
Contractor going to redo the Cottage bathroom in November. At least the shower.   I can go with him and be back in time for Thanksgiving..... that would be best, bc it's not an easy place to work.

The  guest housebathroom is SO dated and needs help too.  Truth be told, it's difficult for me to gain access, as the "caretaker" changed the lock and has made it difficult to get into the unit at all.  I say I'm going to pain and he says he'll do it, but never does. 

This time I want to take out the cheap wall boards in the bathrooms and maybe update the tile in that shower..... if it's not draining properly like the other shower.

Will see. 

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #218 on: September 13, 2023, 04:10:03 PM »
Renting while preparing to sell makes perfect sense.

Why I'm not a RE or any other kinda magnate. Note to self: DUH!

hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

lighter

« Reply #219 on: January 17, 2024, 06:20:26 PM »
The month long guests arrived several days late at the cottage due to weather problems..  They finally shared a private plane with another stranded couple and got to the island.  She said she was going to eat ouf of the pantry and it always makes me curious why guests mention it at all, bc no one will notice or care if they avail themselves.  I know she'll leave more than she borrows anway. 

The electricity is out in the Living Room, likely bc of corroded wires... that room is right on the ocean.  Nothing appears to be rripped in either electric panel. 

Running electrical cords solved the tv problem and I haven't heard from them in a few days.

Roof repairs, bathroom door repair, toilet leak repair happened right before they arrived. 

The exterior doors need replacing with wood... that's what was there when we bought the place.  Wood hardens in salt water....like metal.  Intereting, right?

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #220 on: February 26, 2024, 02:20:03 PM »
Family stayed at the cottage recently and had a really good time.  Brother had his boat and they fished and went to feed and pet the sharks and rays, which is THE BEST FUN EVER, IME. 

One of the guests got inside a shark cage and fed the Bull Sharks at a marina on the other side of the island, which I didn't know exhisted... the shark cage and people feeding the BS. I think that was exciting for everyone to watch..... maybe $80 to do it.  Never heard about that in all these years, but there it is.  I've always been aware sharks swim past the Cottage daily when fishermen are cleaning their catch.  Regular feeding times for Bull Sharks is another thing bringing them by the Cottage...in and out of the bay.

I'm told Bull Sharks are hanging out at the marina down the beach from the cottage now..... which is new.  Exciting, but a woman was throwin into the water recently when her drunk ex military bf had a PTSD meltdown over fireworks, busted out all the windows on their sailboat, shot flairs at the condos and flung her overboard, not sure why.  I wasn't there.  She didn't get eaten is all that matters.  The Bull Sharks, BIG ones, have always been in the canals, but not in the marina close to us. 

The coil inside the instant hot water heater is too small.... I think... and needs replacing.  I'm trying to have 2 sent to the next guest to bring with.  Not sure who would replace it, but I've asked the handyman to take a look. What could go wrong?

My sister and niece and her bf planted and moved many palms and coconut palm trees, which is super nice.  The weather was lovely and they didn't need AC, which is great.  Windows open all the time, bugs way down and sometimes not around at all... no mosquitos, just some no'see ems when the wind died.

THe shower surround got blown away and will remain down.  I think most people like to see the ocean when using it. Not me,but that's OK...... no worries. 

What else?  Roof not currently leaking.  Still needs a seawall.... I have to apply for a permit first.  I understand it would be a nightmare... can't imagine what they'd want, cash wise, to get that rolling. 

Not worrying about it... just breathing and working on the water heater coils: )

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #221 on: March 01, 2024, 01:47:03 PM »
Grrrr... paying the electric bill is a huge PITA.  Not as difficult as it used to be, but a PITA just the same.

I'm waiting for heater elements for the water heater at the cottage to arrive.  I can mail them to a guest before she goes on the 8th.  She'll also pay the handyman 600.00 for me, which is super helpful. 

Washed the pug and am stealing myself to run around in the rain.

Grrrr.

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #222 on: March 02, 2024, 10:27:52 AM »
Around here, we try to time our errands for rainy days. Can't do any outside work, tired of being inside, so we might as well knock those items off the list! (And Jeep's are famous for the amount of heat they throw out!)
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

lighter

« Reply #223 on: March 18, 2024, 11:01:35 AM »
I might be done with Airbnb platform.  Grrrr.

sKePTiKal

« Reply #224 on: March 19, 2024, 09:18:28 AM »
Maybe look at VRBO? I'm not familiar with their terms/arrangements but the cabin we rented in Dec was a VRBO.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.