This weekend is gonna be a bubble o' love:
massages
hand-fed whatever a kindly butcher has around
some friends who love her coming by for goodbyes

My other non-option is spending nearly $2K for 3-day
hospital treatment, fluids under skin administered
at home, endless search for anything she'll eat
while she keeps shaking shaking shaking
(And then do it again in a few months, etc)
I do not think she would like this.

I would rather make the final appointment months
too soon than minutes too late

So my heart will be broken for a while
All dogs are, but this dog is SPECIAL.
She's brought light, love, laughter and comfort
and company into my life for 11 years now.
She's got other people in love with her too.

I am so grateful.

hugs
Hops
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 02:58:06 PM by Hopalong »
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

Meh

Re: Pooch
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 01:32:38 AM »

The treatments don't sound fun. From what you are saying it sounds like the treatments would just prolong the kidney issues for awhile.

sKePTiKal

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 09:08:48 AM »
Awwww Hops & Pooch...
I'm so sorry to hear this. Animals can be such unconditional love factories. I know Hol has a special bond with each pup in her small "pack". And Knuckles is extra special.

Pooch has been such a comfort for you all this tiime. Take the time to honor her and when you're ready maybe there will be a rescue pup to continue the arrangement. (Critters aren't replaceable; they each have their own personality.)
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

Hopalong

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 02:49:17 PM »
The vet told me this morning it's stage 4 kidney collapse, and Dr. Google said kidneys are 80% gone by then. She'd have increasing nausea, continue not to eat, and get pretty miserable. I could tell last night she was feeling worse.

My belief about euhansizing a pet is a month too soon is better than five minutes too late. I let her go at noon today.

Very gentle death, munching on freshly cooked bacon from the kind chef across the road from the vet, so she didm't notice the 2nd needle. I knew it wouldn't feel right to make her wait through the weekend. I told her when she meets her predecessors to have a blast with them. I cried at the vet's but have been calm since. It'll hit me later. Her joyful spirit fills the house, but one day it'll be unbelievable she's not here.

I got such a beautiful hug from the lovely Mexican woman who cleans my house. Same from the also-Mexican yard guy and his son. Felt love everywhere. All is well.

My sweet neighbors came over and dug the hole and we'll bury her in about an  hour.
They wanted to be there as they adored her. She'll be at rest under some peonies and a sad azalea that will appreciate the nourishment. It's a nice flower bed just off the patio, easy to look over at and say Hi, sweet girl.

For now it's beer and blossoms and good friends stopping by. She had fans.

hugs
Hops

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2024, 02:34:17 AM »
I'm so sorry, Hopsie.  Losing a pet is so very hard.  They give us so much joy and energy, it's very noticeable when they're gone.  I'm glad she's got a spot nearby and that you were able to send her off sweetly instead of things becoming very unpleasant for her.  Munching on bacon sounds like a perfect way to go :) Sweet dreams, little Pooch.  Hugs to you Hopsie xx

sKePTiKal

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2024, 09:41:58 AM »
Sounds like you could use some hugs your direction too, Hops!

Hopalong

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2024, 03:25:46 PM »
Thank you ALL, sistahs in the ether.

Today is peaceful, bittersweet. I realized I don't know how to wash a plate.
I'm not weepy (kinda wondering about that) but have written a poem about her (if you want it tell me in a personal message).

I'm noticing all the different absences. Her water dish is full. The house is clean. Her whirly tail is no longer stirring the air. Plates! Even the crows wonder where she is.

But all is well. It could not have gone more kindly or with so much love around.

hugs
Hops

lighter

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2024, 03:24:52 PM »
What a touching farewell to your devoted companion, Hops.

Pooch would be glad you'rmmbering her without suffering.  Pooch wouldn't want you suffering.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2024, 06:48:34 PM »
One could say I betrayed her completely but I hear approval.

After a bunch of very funny coincidences and various emails...the result is I have this PERFECT 10-week puppy in a pen in my living room, worn out from the excitement. I figure he'll wake up and want to play just as I finally drift off.

I just followed the universe and decided to say Yes to a good thing, even though it was startling.

He's super cute: a mix of Shitzu, Corgi and Doxie. So: sweet, smart and ridiculous.
That's what I like in a pooch! And a perfect older-person dog. He could try all day but not knock me over.

Feeling Pooch's approval and calm while I look to a lovely summer, bonding with this adorable creature.

hugs
Hops

lighter

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2024, 10:16:55 PM »
Oh, I think Pooch has her chin on your knee, joyfully looking at the new puppy with you, (((Hops.))

You didn't betray her.... you're honoring all the joy and fellowship she experienced with you, brought to you and would want for you to have with this adorable new puppy!

I think it's just the right one for you, Hops.  You'll know, either way, and it's OK, no matter what.

Lighter

Meh

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2024, 01:52:33 AM »

Congrats... what is the name?

sKePTiKal

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2024, 07:29:18 PM »
Perfect Hops! I'm glad you have a new buddy.

Hopalong

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2024, 12:38:14 PM »
Thanks mucho, Everybody!

He's very endearing, super cute, just the right size.
Only halfway housebroken, alas, so I'm bending bending bending for puppy pads.
But...we're catching on to each other.

I do leave him to whimper a little while and then sleep on his own (good-sized borrowed pen by front window, and he's adapting well. Mornings are insane but he is single-handedly forcing me out of the delayed-sleep-phase cycle. So I'm not feeling great, verrrry tired, but I'm hanging in.

(Meh, I PM'd you his silly name.)

hugs and wiggles,
Hops

lighter

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2024, 09:14:34 AM »
I'm so glad new pup is working out, Hops.

Please PM me your lovely poem about Pooch and the pup's name.

Lighter