Author Topic: Three quotes  (Read 17207 times)

barefootwriter

Three quotes
« on: September 01, 2009, 07:03:39 PM »
These all struck me ast one time or another, and are relevant to the discussions here:

“To be ourselves causes us to be exiled by many others, and yet to comply with what others want causes us to be exiled from ourselves.”
- Clarissa Pinkola Estes

“Our dependency makes slaves out of us, especially if this dependency is a dependency of our self-esteem. If you need encouragement, praise, pats on the back from everybody, then you make everybody your judge.”
– Fritz Perls

“No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.”
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Lucky

Re: Three quotes
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 05:12:28 AM »
I find these very good quotes. Thank you.

Ami

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 07:45:40 AM »
Wonderful Quotes. Thank you!                        Ami
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.        Eleanor Roosevelt

Most of our problems come from losing contact with our instincts,with the age old wisdom stored within us.
   Carl Jung

Sealynx

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 03:35:43 PM »

“To be ourselves causes us to be exiled by many others, and yet to comply with what others want causes us to be exiled from ourselves.”
- Clarissa Pinkola Estes

Estes has some wonderful things to say about the "unmothered child." Have you read her retelling of the Inuit story of the "Stone Child". This retelling seems accurate...
http://uselessscience.com/forum/index.php?topic=392.0

Though the story has a happy ending. Most of ours do not. Our stone mother will never crack open...only continue to steal our warmth until we die.
S

Dreamedeeri

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 01:24:46 PM »
Yes, thanks for these quotes. I've been thinking a lot about dependence lately and these help me get a perspective on it.

Ales2

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 11:47:48 PM »
These are great- thanks so much!
I've always struggled with valuing myself and I do, but I have found that when its about me and someone else, I tend to value them more in the interaction, which gives my power away and devalues or compromises myself. In the past, I've rationalized this away or just been blind to it.  The quote about our dependency making others the judge is very true and relevant to me...

Another way to look at is that its not that I think I am unworthy, I just place too much value on the opinion of others who declare I am unworthy. If I didn't care what others thought, my worth would be consistent.