Author Topic: Rapunzel, Daughter of a Closet Narcissist by Gudrun Zomerland  (Read 11751 times)

KayZee

Rapunzel, Daughter of a Closet Narcissist by Gudrun Zomerland
« on: December 30, 2011, 08:54:18 AM »
Surfing the iNet and found the following essay (www.chinnstreetcounseling.com/zomerland/zomerland_25.shtml) by Gudrun Zomberland.  Maybe some of you have already come across it?

It's all about the Brothers Grimm metaphor and what it's like to be the daughter of a narcissistic mother.  Rang incredibly true for me.  And the part about devaluation/dehumanization lent some language to feelings/suspicions/experiences I've had but never knew how to define or describe.

Anyhow, Thought I'd post it here in case it helps anyone else too....

love, Kay

Leah

• Joyous Discerner
Re: Rapunzel, Daughter of a Closet Narcissist by Gudrun Zomerland
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 09:30:49 AM »
Huge "Thank You"
Jun 2006 voiceless seeking

April 2008 - "The Gaslight Effect" How to Spot & Survive by Dr. Robin Stern - freedom of understanding!

The Truth About Abuse VIDEO

sKePTiKal

Re: Rapunzel, Daughter of a Closet Narcissist by Gudrun Zomerland
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 08:47:07 AM »
Well, timing is everything.

I have no idea how I missed your post this long, KayZee. But thank you from me, also. This piece is incredibly well-written and her interpretations fit easily and don't seem to be trying to force a psychological explanation onto the symbolism at all. I am a fan of the lessons contained in the Brothers Grimm, myself. Rumpelstiltskin was pretty useful to me one point.

It does give one chills, to read all the way through, doesn't it? I certainly see how my story parallels. And it's helpful to also see myself finally in that last paragraph; I'm still working on giving up my instinct to caretake; still trying to more easily know what I need; still trying to find my motivation mojo... but I'm also able to finally recognize my efforts, no matter how small they are...

this article is a keeper!

Success is never final, failure is never fatal.