Author Topic: Music in recovery  (Read 12017 times)

NickySkye

Music in recovery
« on: January 06, 2004, 09:48:05 PM »
Hi recovery friends,
just wanted to say that music has been and is a big part of my life, a source of enjoyment. In this recovery process I've learned to see everything differently, music included. There is music that I find especially uplifting and meaningful now and thought this thread might be a good place to post music suggestions or lyrics that have been a part of anybody's healing.

There are a couple of pieces of classical music that are especially meaningful to me now. One is  by Mahler, the third movement of his Symphony no. 1. It is the animals celebrating the death of the hunter.

You can listen to it online:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/classical/mahler1.shtml

"Third Movement
The huntsman's funeral is evoked by a bleak, minor-key version of the children's round 'Frère Jacques', first played by a solo double bass above muffled drum-beats. Pairs of oboes and trumpets offer a mock-sentimental commentary. A dreamlike central interlude arrives, with muted violins murmuring a melody from Mahler's Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen ('Songs of a Wayfaring Lad', 1896). The march returns, and a sudden spurt of pace speeds the huntsman towards his grave"

Then there is a piece of classical music that is uplifting, peaceful and serene:
Vaughan Williams': The Lark Ascending

There are the lyrics of Marianne Faithful, raw, jagged, uncensored pain in her Broken English album. It is like no other angry music I have ever heard. Especially her obscene song of jagged sexual jealousy called Why Dja Do It She Said.

http://www.inlyrics.com/display/Faithfull_Marianne_Lyrics/Why'd_Ya_Do_It_Lyrics/43150.htm

There is another song of a woman bitter about her obsession with her narcissist lover by Joan Armatrading called Tall In the Saddle:

Say what you will
You can't take the stars at night
Take your love
But that doesn't stop my life
You've been fooling around
I looked to you for love
Thought you walked on holy ground
But oh, you're mean

I thought that here
Was a guy, brave and strong
A brother to his brothers
Brave and strong
Was preaching what to practice
But that don't mean a thing
You're mean

Tall in the saddle
One of these days you're gonna have to dismount
You don't leave me downhearted
But I'm sorry that you had to go
'Cos we had fun, fun, fun, fun
Fun, fun, fun
We had fun while it lasted

You were God's gift to girls
You persuaded
Then you beat up on their hearts
You made it, you made it
You made it, you made it
Oh you're just mean

Tall in the saddle
One of these days you're gonna have to dismount
You don't leave me downhearted
But I'm sorry that you had to go
'Cos we had fun, fun, fun, fun
Fun, fun, fun

And another song that also makes me think it's lyrics about narcissist codependence:

Down to Zero

Oh the feeling
When you're reeling
You step lightly thinking you're number one
Down to zero with a word
Leaving
For another one

Now you walk with your feet
Back on the ground
Down to the ground
Down to the ground
Down to the ground
Down to the ground

Brand new dandy
First class scene stealer
Walks through the crowd and takes your man
Sends you rushing to the mirror
Brush your eyebrows and say
There's more beauty in you than anyone

Oh remember who walked the warm sands beside you
Moored to your heel
Let the waves come a rushing in
She'll take the worry from your head
But then again
She put trouble in your heart instead
Then you'll fall
Down to the ground
Down to the ground

You'll know heartache
Still more crying
When you're thinking of your mother's only son
Take to your bed
You say there's peace in sleep
But you'll dream of love instead

Oh the heartache you'll find
Can bring more pain than a blistering sun
But oh when you fall
Oh when you fall
Fall at my door...

These days I need more innocent music, joyous, uplifting, like Paul Simon's Graceland Album

And emotionally awake, melodic bliss of singers like Eva Cassidy's heavenly, sublime rendition of Somewhere Over The Raibow.

I recommend her SONGBIRD, anthology album of songs from the three previous CDs, 1998.  This album has gone "triple platinum" in the United Kingdom and "gold" in the United States, Australia, and Norway.  
http://evacassidy.org/eva/songs.htm

Songs on the Songbird album:
1. Fields Of Gold
2. Wade In The Water
3. Autumn Leaves
4. Wayfaring Stranger
5. Songbird
6. Time Is A Healer
7. I Know You By Heart
8. People Get Ready
9. Oh, Had I A Golden Thread
10. Over The Rainbow

Anybody else have music they love that has been good in their recovery?

all the best,
Nicky

tayana

• http://tayana.blogspot.com
Music in recovery
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 11:47:20 AM »
Songs that have been helpful to me.  "Let Me Live" and "I want to break free" by Queen and "It's my Life" by Bon Jovi.  There are others, but I can't think of them at the moment.
http://tayana.blogspot.com

You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you
really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing you think you cannot
do.
-Elanor Roosevelt

seeker

Music in recovery
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 02:24:07 PM »
OK, very long post coming up!  :)

Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" and "Positively 4th Street" were my battle cries when I went to work to do battle with a full-fledged N before I knew what N was!  Lyrics below.  Very cathartic.  I also listen to Loggins & Messina for life-affirming music.  Just upbeat "I like you" music.  Yes! I'm an Oldie  :wink: "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."  Enjoy, everybody.  S.  
PS these songs are even more powerful when you hear him shout them out!

Like a Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan
Once upon a time you dressed so fine
You threw the bums a dime in your prime, didn't you?
People'd call, say, "Beware doll, you're bound to fall"
You thought they were all kiddin' you
You used to laugh about
Everybody that was hangin' out
Now you don't talk so loud
Now you don't seem so proud
About having to be scrounging for your next meal.

How does it feel
How does it feel
To be without a home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone?

You've gone to the finest school all right, Miss Lonely
But you know you only used to get juiced in it
And nobody has ever taught you how to live on the street
And now you find out you're gonna have to get used to it
You said you'd never compromise
With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
He's not selling any alibis
As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
And ask him do you want to make a deal?

How does it feel
How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone?

You never turned around to see the frowns on the jugglers and the clowns
When they all come down and did tricks for you
You never understood that it ain't no good
You shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you
You used to ride on the chrome horse with your diplomat
Who carried on his shoulder a Siamese cat
Ain't it hard when you discover that
He really wasn't where it's at
After he took from you everything he could steal.

How does it feel
How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone?

Princess on the steeple and all the pretty people
They're drinkin', thinkin' that they got it made
Exchanging all kinds of precious gifts and things
But you'd better lift your diamond ring, you'd better pawn it babe
You used to be so amused
At Napoleon in rags and the language that he used
Go to him now, he calls you, you can't refuse
When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose
You're invisible now, you got no secrets to conceal.

How does it feel
How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone?

Positively 4th Street
You got a lotta nerve
To say you are my friend
When I was down
You just stood there grinning

You got a lotta nerve
To say you got a helping hand to lend
You just want to be on
The side that's winning

You say I let you down
You know it's not like that
If you're so hurt
Why then don't you show it

You say you lost your faith
But that's not where it's at
You had no faith to lose
And you know it

I know the reason
That you talk behind my back
I used to be among the crowd
You're in with

Do you take me for such a fool
To think I'd make contact
With the one who tries to hide
What he don't know to begin with

You see me on the street
You always act surprised
You say, "How are you?" "Good luck"
But you don't mean it

When you know as well as me
You'd rather see me paralyzed
Why don't you just come out once
And scream it

No, I do not feel that good
When I see the heartbreaks you embrace
If I was a master thief
Perhaps I'd rob them

And now I know you're dissatisfied
With your position and your place
Don't you understand
It's not my problem

I wish that for just one time
You could stand inside my shoes
And just for that one moment
I could be you

Yes, I wish that for just one time
You could stand inside my shoes
You'd know what a drag it is
To see you

Portia

Music in recovery
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 11:44:43 AM »
edit

phoenix

Music in recovery
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 02:28:56 AM »
bye

Nic

Music in recovery
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 08:45:57 PM »
Let's not forget anything and everything ever composed by DeBussy! Ah..you can really see the fields of tallgrass swaying in the wind..
Ah music!  Apparently my biological mother taught "voice" ( Solfege in French).  Although I have little info on her, music has always been a big part of my life..especially singing.  Am I destined to meet her one day, I swear I can feel it when she's thinking of me.
Nic :)
All truth passes through 3 stages
First it is ridiculed, second, it is violently opposed,third,it is accepted as being self evident
-Arthur Schopenhauer

Dawning

Music in recovery
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2004, 10:59:01 AM »
Let's not forget anything and everything ever composed by DeBussy!

Absolutely, Nic!  Anything composed by DeBussy really hits the spot.  And according to Art of Noise (on their album, The Seduction of Claude DeBussy) "he preferred cats to people."  That tells ya something right there. 8)

Lyrical songs which I am thinking of now:

>Marvin Gaye (What's Going On, I Want You....)

>anything by Neil Young

>Gill Scott Heron (geared towards Civil Rights Movement which is certainly relevant AND what a voice!!! "Peace Go With You, Brother.")

That is all I can think of now.  

Of course, selected Beatles post 1965.

~Dawning
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 02:50:42 AM by voicel2 »
"No one's life is worth more than any other...no sister is less than any brother...."

write

Music in recovery
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2004, 04:01:27 PM »
Scherezade ( Rimsky-Korsakow, the Prince and Princess movt 3 is my favourite )

rosencrantz

Music in recovery
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 08:59:29 AM »
The Swingle Singers singing (yes SINGING) the 1812 Overture.  :lol:  You've never heard anything so uplifting, amazing and amusing!  http://www.swinglesingers.com/  Who else can sing the noise of cannon firing and firworks going off and make beautiful music at the same time??!  It gives great energy.

And a new British 'Opera Band' - Amici Forever. Very special.
http://www.amiciforever.com/  O Come all ye faithful in Latin.  Wow! (Home page and music takes forever to download)

Pretty much anything by Eric Satie - usually an amusing 'sting in the tail' (like the ending that never ends!).  

Nimrod - Enigma Variations.  Stirring stuff.

Anything really to make me smile and make me sit up straight!  Brings a smile to my face and dignity to my soul.

R
"No matter how enmeshed a commander becomes in the elaboration of his own
thoughts, it is sometimes necessary to take the enemy into account" Sir Winston Churchill

write

Music in recovery
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2004, 02:10:37 PM »
thanks for AMici link- great! I'll look out for them.
DO you like Mediaeval Babes  too?

rosencrantz

Music in recovery
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2004, 11:18:07 AM »
I've just done a web search and discovered the group - they have an interesting history.  Not so keen per se on mediaeval music - and I've just listened to a few extracts on Amazon - not my cup of tea for general listening but their Christmas album looks interesting!  Memories of Steeleye Span??!
R
"No matter how enmeshed a commander becomes in the elaboration of his own
thoughts, it is sometimes necessary to take the enemy into account" Sir Winston Churchill

New Guest

Music In Recovery
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2004, 06:42:12 PM »
Greetings all you lovely people

I have never posted before, but loved this topic and wanted to include two things relating to music and all of us:

THEY'RE SINGING YOUR SONG

When a woman in a certain African tribe knows she is pregnant, she goes out into the wilderness with a few friends and together they pray and meditate until they hear the song of the child. They recognize that every soul has its own vibration that expresses its unique flavor and purpose. When the women attune to the song, they sing it out loud. Then they return to the tribe and teach it to everyone else.

When the child is born, the community gathers and sings the child's song to him or her. Later, when the child enters education, the village gathers and chants the child's song. When the child passes through the initiation to adulthood, the people again come together and sing. At the time of marriage, the person hears his or her song.

Finally, when the soul is about to pass from this world, the family and friends gather at the person's bed, just as they did at their birth, and they sing the person to the next life.

To the African tribe there is one other occasion upon which the villagers sing to the child. If at any time during his or her life, the person commits a crime or aberrant social act, the individual is called to the center of the village and the people in the community form a circle around them. Then they sing their song to them.

The tribe recognizes that the correction for antisocial behavior is not punishment; it is love and the remembrance of identity. When you recognize your own song, you have no desire or need to do anything that would hurt another.

A friend is someone who knows your song and sings it to you when you have forgotten it. Those who love you are not fooled by mistakes you have made or dark images you hold about yourself. They remember your beauty when you feel ugly; your wholeness when you are broken; your innocence when you feel guilty; and your purpose when you are confused.

You may not have grown up in an African tribe that sings your song to you at crucial life transitions, but life is always reminding you when you are in tune with yourself and when you are not. When you feel good, what you are doing matches your song, and when you feel awful, it doesn't. In the end, we shall all recognize our song and sing it well. You may feel a little warbly at the moment, but so have all the great singers. Just keep singing and you'll find your way home.

~Alan Cohen~

This next item I just heard about for the first time a month ago. Remember somthing very important here - it was written by a 10 year old boy whom I had the pleasure of hearing play (he is now  12 and probably going on 4,000 or whatever in maturity):

THE MUSIC OF THE SPHERES

“I am truly a child of the Mozart Effect, because my mother played Mozart, Bach and Vivaldi tome from the moment I was conceived. There is no question that I heard that music in my mother’s womb. My cranial nerves grew with Vivaldi’s ‘The Four Seasons’ and my heart started to beat with Bach’s ‘Toccata and Fugue in D Minor’. From the time that I asked for a violin when I was three years old, I knew that I wanted to play and compose because I recognized that music was the very substance of my being. I believe that all matter is frozen music. The music of the atoms spinning in orbit is 20 octaves higher than we can hear; the constant trembling of the earth is 20 octaves lower.  Every person’s DNA plays music, because it was formed by sound. That brings us to my work of using sound to heal. Last year when my dad was diagnosed with AML, a very serious form of leukemia, I began to compose a concerto for his healing on the violin and on the piano. Every time that I went to see him I played this sacred song of healing. There was never a doubt in my mind that he would have a complete and total recovery, and he has. If you take someone’s musical notes to the nucleotides and create key, timing and note duration, you will hear the song of their soul. When it is played it can heal depression, restore imbalances which cause disease and put them in touch with their life’s purposes. I believe that sound is the key to creating neurological pathways to the vast part of our brain that we do not use. Bill Gates revolutionized technology with Windows. I want to revolutionize life by opening  “Doorways” to the Music of the Spheres.”

Antonio Pontarelli   10/2001
www.antoniomusic.com

Please remember the fine music in your own soul!!!!!

Portia

Music in recovery
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2004, 09:00:00 AM »

Anonymous

Music in recovery
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2004, 09:26:29 AM »
Please remember the fine music in your own soul!!!!!

Oh, yes how beautiful!  That really reasonates/struck a chord.  Thanks for writing that, New Guest.

I think Dawning was talking about the yellow-toothed smile elsewhere (was it?) - where some Arabs (?) have five words for 'smile',

This is the first time I have heard of it.   :D   Sounds wonderful.

I am listening to http://www.live365.com  now in the Ambient "room."  Channel is called Internet Oasis.  Lots of nice compositions there.

Love,
Dawning.

Dawning

Music in recovery
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2004, 09:33:44 AM »
Me, forgetting to log in again.   :?  

New Guest, I also wanted to say thanks, too, for posting THEY'RE SINGING YOUR SONG.  So true, so true.  What a gem.  If you have any other info about that tribe, where they live, their name, etc.  I would love to know more.  But the information you have written here is certainly enough for me to understand.

Love again,
Dawning.
"No one's life is worth more than any other...no sister is less than any brother...."