Author Topic: public speaking  (Read 2921 times)

freetobeme

public speaking
« on: August 16, 2004, 09:56:33 AM »
I fit the description of Voiceless.  Also, I am an empath supreme.  I read in Grossman's writings of these things, and finally understand what happened.

I just took a public speaking seminar where I had to get up in front of the group 8 times in 2 days.  OMG.  Now, I did this to help with speaking in order to be able to talk to people and remain myself, not falling into the empathic trap of telling them what they want to hear as well as helping in finding my own voice to the point where I could actually use it. Honestly, it was a great idea, but very hard in the process of experiencing this for the first time.  I can now do it although at first I had to get a bit of help with a homeopatic drop for anxiety that was beginning to borderline panic!  Oh, I may not be the best, but I have no need to be the best, just to be efficient in it.  The course was designed for people who have this fear of speaking.  I highly recoomend this.  Our group had only 4 people in it, which is plenty, IMHO, to begin with.  

What I did not understand though, is that even though I was looking at each of the participants as was directed (about 5 seconds per look) they all said my eye contact was not as good as it should be.  I truly do not understand though for I thought I was doing it correctly.  Too bad. At least my voice came out strong!  

I recommend this, but bare in mind it is not for the weak willed!

DenmarkGuy

public speaking
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 05:31:28 PM »
Congrats, and good for you! It takes a lot of courage.

It's a funny thing-- I have had to do lots of presentations/speeches, sometimes in front of 100s, and I have had loads of training in "how" to do it-- but I still hate it, and it still scares me. I can get up and "fake it" to where nobody knows I am bothered-- but I just don't like having to do it. I guess maybe it's the same as how some people can learn to become excellent swimmers, but still not like the water.

--Peter