Author Topic: Mindfulness  (Read 21156 times)

lighter

Re: Mindfulness
« Reply #165 on: May 15, 2019, 08:35:34 AM »
Yes, very interesting this doc was  so close by, and yet completely unknown.

All his reviews are 5 star.  He comes highly recommended by the medical community (I trust, and respect.)

Will give results on dd's brain scans later: )

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #166 on: May 16, 2019, 05:59:19 PM »
OK, the brain scans, and cognitive tests were pretty involved.... several hours. 

They gage eye movements, in one test, and you see your child's eyes on the screen, big, and you can see exactly what they're doing alongside a graph.  It can be replayed, and explained.... there's no light changes, so pupil changes in size are about stress for the brain.  Movements up and down create more stress than side to side movement, btw.

Youngest had quite a bit of eyes not staying focused on the target.. a little ball, which explains why reading has always always always been so difficult for her.  She has to go back and re until her brain fills in all the spaces her eyes popped past.

Also, her brain is revving on high all the time.  Just revving, and it takes a lot of energy to do the simplest things.  That's why she's so exhausted all the time, and I don't think she sleeps very well either. 

We set up a treatment schedule for when summer starts.   DD is relieved to see reasons why things are so hard, and relieved to know she can work hard, and change some of those things.

Oldest dd's assessment was today, and everything made sense to her.  She signed on,  and is looking forward to neurofeedback to begin too.

I haven't read one bad review.  There are so many grateful patients who write notes, and post about it..... the details, the way their lives have changed, and how glad they are they found this doc.

::nodding::.

I feel like a weight's been lifted.

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #167 on: May 18, 2019, 12:38:11 PM »
OK, my hip's been locked up, and in various stages of that for a while.  Chiroprac friend got me on his table, and was shocked the joint wouldn't move.  At all.  He cracked, and popped me from head to toe, and unlocked it, then said to let the inflammation go down before doing more.  That was 2 days ago.
I woke up, and had some problems with it....thigh feels like it was hit by a baseball bat, loss of power, and sometimes the muscles spasm.  Very upsetting.

Today I babied it, after driving girls to school... sitting is the worst thing for it..... moved it around, and worked on the muscles..... it's feeling pretty normal.   SUCH A RELIEF, but before I FELT the relief in my body and mind, I went out on the porch in a bit of despair..... the worst case scenarios were banging around my brain pan, and I couldn't shake it.

Once on the porch, I heard something at the other end.... I thought maybe a kerfuffle from the bucket holding a nest with many eggs a darling little bird tends to without fail.  I went to see what was up, and there were 2 hummingbirds almost in my face.  One chased the other, one went to the feeder, the other chased it to a nearby branch, they were off.  Another hummer came around, and they've been pretty active ever since.  I've never seen more than one HB, ever.  They're very territorial... I guess it's mating season?  Or... something?  I was uplifted, and happy, and grounded back in the moment.... then aware of the feelings that brought me out, I felt them, processed them, and feel much better now. 

Thanks Hummingbirds.

I've been doing easy yardwork.... weedwacking, and trimming branches.... nothing requiring I sit or squat much, and a nice neighbor came by to offer up all his rocks...... he's getting rid of all his flower beds.  He wants less upkeep, just like me.  We both feel great about this!  So glad.  He's as excited as I am, and willing to do all the labor to load, and drop them in my yard.  YAY AGAIN!

My chiropractor friend bought tickets for a Beatles cover band tomorrow.  Every year the teachers from a prestigious music school get together and cover an entire album.... just amazing to watch.  This venue is lovely, and cool, and on the river.  After that he'll adjust me, again, and see where I'm at from the last adjustment. 

I've been stretching, and massaging sore muscles.  I have to get on track, and stay there. 

The house, and back porch are in good shape.... I'm enjoying them, and my girls. 

I'm noticing the things dd18 does that brings up stress for me.  Mostly, if I don't pick up the rope, she drops it too, and things go on just fine.  It's when I react or respond to her hard NO! over everything from doing chores, to just eating what's been cooked, etc..... I have to stay in observation mode, and let her have it... not make whatever we're talking about ABOUT me. 

If I didn't say before, we're seeing a family T we both really like.  There's an attachment issue we have to work out, and that's the plan. 

I booked youngest dd for her neuro feedback sessions, but not oldest dd, bc she's not willing to do anything outside attend the sessions.  There's other things involved around nutrition, physical activity, sleep patterns that make it possible to get more out of the sessions, and that's going to be a condition.   When she's ready, we'll make the appointments. 

Both girls need their wisdom teeth out, and that's happening this summer.

I don't want to travel anytime soon, but the beach cottage has to be dealt with.  I'm so sick of thinking about it.... so many moving parts, and it feels like they're all broken moving parts that depend on my MOVING them myself.....  I can't depend on anyone on the island, 100%,  thus this feeling of all the responsibility with zero control.   Yes, Amber and Hops, I think about selling it all the time.

Lighter

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #168 on: May 20, 2019, 12:41:17 AM »
Aw, Lighter, the humming birds sound so lovely!  I'm glad the doc is giving so much good information; so useful to know and have points to work from.  I'm sorry your hip is painful though, did you injure yourself or has that just come on?  I hope that continues to get better; dealing with pain is very difficult and it's hard being forced to slow down.  The upcoming concert sound nice.  Bleurgh to the beach house!  So much work for you, is it close to being all done now?  It feels like you've done so much already xx

lighter

« Reply #169 on: May 24, 2019, 10:16:00 AM »
Tupp:

The hip was gradual... I think a little injury I didn't much notice, then compensation, then tightness, then more compensation, and then the hip locked up, bc I didn't deal with it, and now I'm out of pain, feeling normal, and stretching daily to keep things aligned.

Another reminder about self care.  A reminder not to suck it up, and soldier on. 

We all need to stretch!

Lighter

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #170 on: May 24, 2019, 11:12:18 AM »
Tupp:

The hip was gradual... I think a little injury I didn't much notice, then compensation, then tightness, then more compensation, and then the hip locked up, bc I didn't deal with it, and now I'm out of pain, feeling normal, and stretching daily to keep things aligned.

Another reminder about self care.  A reminder not to suck it up, and soldier on. 

We all need to stretch!

Lighter

Yes, I get the same with my back, little twinge and I ignore it and then it gets worse.  I need to get back into the habit of going once a month to get it fixed so it doesn't become a problem instead of waiting until it gets sore.  Glad your hip is feeling better now and hope the stretching continues to help :) xx

lighter

« Reply #171 on: May 28, 2019, 07:28:55 PM »
Visitors were lovely over the long weekend, but gal pal experiencing gall stone pains.... very scary, honestly.  She's a pretty clean eater, and watches her health.

No one knows why gallstones happen, and that's another frustration.  I was afraid to cook, and feed her.... evenings were hard.... I couldn't help, but sat for hours researching and trying to help.

I don't know what I'd do if I came down with gallstones.  This makes me want to start doing the gallstone cleanse every 6 months, and figuring out how to eat so as to avoid stressing the gallbladder.

This is a fresh hell, for sure.  My younger brother had his gallbladder removed fairly recently, so..... I'm thinking proactive is necessary.

Anyone dealt with them, or know anything about them?

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #172 on: May 28, 2019, 11:49:05 PM »
Medicine does know how gallstones happen.
https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/qa/who-is-at-risk-for-gallstones

Medicine knows how to prevent them.
https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/gallstones/eating-diet-nutrition

Medicine knows what to do about it if they develop. Lithotripsy is miraculous but sometimes conventional surgery is necessary.
https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/gallstones/treatment

Hope this helps.

Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

lighter

« Reply #173 on: May 29, 2019, 12:32:40 AM »
Thanks, Hops!

The thing is, friend already eats clean, consumes healthy fats, and lacks the primary indicators, or most of them at least.  She should be more active, but she's not obese, not taking any medications, outside supplements, and this is just so darned difficult.

We'd really like to pin down EXACTLY the foods or habits that create the problem, but the surgeon is spit balling, admittedly, outside a low or non fat diet, which is the only known cause of gallstones right now.

Everything else is demoralizing to read about the kinds of diet recommended..... we've been eating healthier than that for years.  Friend is trying to deal with problem without surgery.  There are complications with old scars and surgery from car wreck.

I feel so helpless.

Lighter

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #174 on: May 29, 2019, 01:31:08 AM »
They're not something I know anything about, Lighter, but they sound horrible, it's very difficult figuring out what to do if the known options have already been exhausted without success, but I hope she can find some way to relieve them soon.  You are a good chum for trying to help xx

lighter

« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2019, 03:36:11 PM »
Tupp:

Docs want to remove gallbladders, not treat stones.  That makes sense IF the patient isn't able or willing to change the habits that brought on the stones, kwim?

If the patient is willing, has been willing to make changes for years, then it's frustrating.  I'm hoping muscle testing practitioner will hone in, and help.

There are pills to break down the stones, but they have to be taken forever, and they can harm the liver.... BIGGER problem, IMO.

We need our gallbadders..... sure, we can live without them, but we need them.

I hope she can figure this out.  I would hate to end up in that boat.... it scares me.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2019, 05:19:16 PM »
Might be a genetic vulnerability, Lighter.

Might be true that you need to accept not being able to fix it for her, despite your distress at her suffering.

You are a kind friend. Sometimes, that's enough.

love
Hops

Hopalong

« Reply #177 on: May 30, 2019, 08:29:04 AM »
PS I wrote a long article on lithotripsy when the machine first arrived at the medical center years ago. It was miraculous.

Patients with gallstones sit in a big tank of warm water, and magnetic beams are aligned with the stones. (Marks are drawn on the skin for the technician to aim at.) Then a simple button push and dat-dat-dat, a zapping noise. The beams pass through the water into the patient, precisely targeting the gallstones and leaving the surrounding tissues are unaffected. The stones are pulverized (without pain to the patient) into such tiny fragments that the gallbladder can then excrete them naturally. It's amazing, just incredible. Patient gets out, dries off, goes home.

So the gallbladder isn't removed, in that case. And there's no drug, no surgery. Hope your friend will check it out and that she may be a candidate for lithotripsy.

hugs
Hops

lighter

« Reply #178 on: May 30, 2019, 09:12:28 AM »
That sounds like just the right thing, Hops.  Then friend has to figure out how to avoid new stone formation: )

lighter

« Reply #179 on: June 28, 2019, 10:36:34 AM »
My new T is female, specializing in anxiety, depression, trauma and addiction with 13 years in recovery herself.  She practices traditional therapy, intuitive counseling, EMDR, TRM, energy, spiritual and Buddhist psychology, and life coaching.

I like her approach, bc she references the work of other doctors I've studied, and brain science to help me understand what we're doing, and how it helps.  She takes time to really make sure I have some ONE important element, and take that with me when I leave her office.

I've seen her twice, and will see her weekly for a while. 

She explained why trying to gut out way out of anxiety is so difficult.  The amygdala and limbic system are already online, and we have to get under them, and unhook them with breathing, which engages our parasympathetic nervous systems.  The more we breath into the PSNV, the more we build those pathways, and train our brains away from anxiety.

She'd like me to use Kardia 3 times a day, whenever, and at times of stress. Everything involves the breathing in... filling a vase, bottom up... stomach pushed out, and the breathing out.... slow, and complete. 

Pushing on walls WITH ALL YOU HAVE, is useful.  I notice I FEEL LIKE I SHOULD BE DOING DOING DOING, and pushing is very helpful at those times.  I push on the steering wheel in the car sometimes, and that's helpful too.  Remembering to breath is getting easier.  I was always a shallow breather, and notice I actually stop breathing when I'm stressed.

Walking backwards, slowly, around a garbage can or anything on the floor, while breathing. 

She added cross body patting this week.  Cross arms over, hands on shoulders gently patting one at a time, slowly.  If we go fast, we can create anxiety.  Slow is calming so.... gentle pat.... wait a couple seconds then gentle pat again.  Can do this on thighs as well, making sure arms crossing over body. 

When she asked if I had a happy place, I realized I don't have one anymore that I visit.  When I tried to go to the one I used during the trials..... it was just heartbreaking.  I'm really sad about the time, and years I lost, and what my girls lost during those years.  I used to picture myself walking into my house, which is where we lived when the girls were born, and greeting the girls... J in green foot in jammies.... Loldest by 22mo, in a diaper for some reason, but there, very real, and we just had a normal day in that happy place.  Now it's a trigger.

In the past, with other Ts, they'd try to have me picture a grotto, or some unknown place, and that had me feeling like I needed to push on a wall.... to DO.... it felt like the lions were clawing through the door, how could I BE in this place that meant nothing to me?

I tried my own childhood this time, and that was triggering.... I think anything to do with children at this time is triggering for me. The child drawings on the walls were triggering as I looked around and paid attention to my surroundings, SO.... big information for me.

The next time I tried, I went back to my house, before the girls and second marriage, but after the first divorce, and I walked in my amazing tomato garden.  I could see what I was wearing, my tools, smell the plants, and tend the compost bin, tie the vines.... feel the sun on my eyelids, and shoulders, and hear the birds, and insects.

I'd never experienced such relief, amazing, joyful, immediate, and addictive... I want to go back and back and back.  I rely on it, in my mind, as a tool, and I'm not sure I could have found it without someone looking me in the eye, and leading me through the triggers and sadness, and pulling me out, and through it.

I don't have to go back and revisit all the trauma and heartache.  I don't have to understand it, or anyone involved in it.  I just have to practice breathing,  building pathways, and training my brain to have choice, and choose. 

Another thing that's making sense is the PAT.... training my brain to tolerate feeling OK, which is alien for me, not strong strong, but certainly there.  I imagine it's more difficult for lots of people, but I can feel the undercurrent when I'm paying attention.  PAT... Pleasure Affectation Tolerance?  I think?

Anyway, I'm feeling very attached to this T, and she's so patient, and kind, and explains everything, and doesn't move on before I'm WITH her, and getting what she's trying to share.

I like the Buddhism.  I like the references to Tara Brach, and Bessel VanDerKolk, and polyvagal theory, and WHAT the heck that tapping to the left of me belly button IS.... the psoas muscle holds a lot of energy, and memories and energy are stored in the body, and we're energetic beings. 

This ties everything together, and makes sense of it for me.

I know choosing a T is so important, and I have clarity on that now. 

The journey continues,
Lighter