Author Topic: 2019 Farm Life  (Read 37709 times)

sKePTiKal

Re: 2019 Farm Life
« Reply #135 on: June 16, 2019, 03:42:53 PM »
Ummmmm.... de-dummmm... yummmmmm. I was on my best behavior managing my expectations. I did NOT expect the "fireworks" - at least from him. I have the distinct impression I've been "claimed" again - and it feels "right". But one day at a time. We're both realists; his daughter has another year of school and a full-ride college scholarship... and then we'll see. He's very much at home here in the woods.

So not counting any chickens for now. I've got a fair amount of practice at "no strings" relationships and we've both been around the block more than once.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

sKePTiKal

« Reply #136 on: June 17, 2019, 03:08:17 PM »
Yeah. This isn't some "strangers in the night" kind of thing. There is a whole lot in common between us - talking for 48 hrs pretty much determined that; even talking our separate "shops". Lots of eyes lighting up understanding between our separate life experiences.

In an hour or two, he should be back home and he lives far enough away that we won't see each other a lot. He has promised to be back soon. But I have a feeling I'll be charging my phone more frequently. He's in a lot better health now, than he has been the last couple of years. Since he brought along his apprentice and his wife (apprentice's), to drive... all the younger folks hung out together & gave us a good bit of space. Hol likes the wife; and my buddy... she approves and said I deserved to be happy about all this.

I have some trepidation about it. Not ENTIRELY sure I'm ready to move on from Mike, but can't find any rational reason why I shouldn't. Different guy; different "fit" between our selves... but the important pieces are already there. Intimacy, trust, loyalty... all within a "wait & see" what the future brings mode for now. And he instinctively knows what it means to "have my back" - while not pressuring me into anything I'm not ready for... even though I'm pretty brave and have been known to take risks now & then; calculated risks. Weirdly - I find myself trusting myself a little more around him. For no reason whatsoever.

lighter

« Reply #137 on: June 17, 2019, 03:17:21 PM »
I loved reading you trust yourself more around him.  How powerful is that?!?  There are people who build us up, and problem solve, just as there's folks who tear us down, and create problems. 

I really really like the sound of this guy, no matter how things go.  I think you really like him, and that can just be there.... like it is.... for a while.  Try to stay in your right brain.  Don't get into stories about what's been, or what could be/might be/ has to be.

Just be here now, with the feelings he's left you with, and let that be enough.

No moving on, or being ready.... that's not something you have to solve. 

Breath... big breaths through your nose, and then out slowly..... this isn't crisis.  Don't let anxiety creep in.  THIS IS GOOD stuff: )

I'm so happy things went well for you, Amber.

Truly.

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #138 on: June 17, 2019, 05:03:20 PM »
Thanks, Lighter. It's a little freaky like jumping off a cliff with a parachute that you HOPE opens. LOL. But so far, soft landings... exhilaration... and fascinated by the newness of it all. Yep; I'm just letting things be what they are for the moment. That's a LOT different, all by itself.

Hopalong

« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2019, 07:42:02 PM »
((((((((((((((((((((((Amber)))))))))))))))))))))))))

I feel so happy for you. For your heart.

Many fingers, all toes, and multiple hairs crossed for you!

Keep on breathin'.

love,
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

sKePTiKal

« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2019, 08:53:50 AM »
Fun can be exhausting, especially when it wakes up energies and feelings one hasn't had in a good long time. He said he'd call last night. No call; I figured he was as tired as I was and has gotten his best sleep in a long while. I didn't bug him, but I sure THOUGHT about doing it. Then he posted something in our forum this morning, that was in "code" for me. Very smart guy... LOL.

So, he's busy and I'm busy and I have to watch my old habit patterns... and give him room to run. I can put this energy to good use elsewhere for awhile.

Just before the visit, remember I'd mentioned something difficult I was dealing with again? Of course, the only unresolved thing out there in my life is the Amy situation, but it's NOT MY JOB to resolve it and I made that abundantly clear. People don't really like that, but tough shit.

So, anyway... he called me with an update on the trip and while I hadn't said anything to him about it, he was asking what was wrong? I noticed it; and wondered how he'd picked up on that... but I guess I should've seen it as more significant a "clue" than that. Emotional conversation and thinking... in the language of emotions. That's going to be new for me to get used to, since right now only Hol and I can do that.

So, for now... it's just a flurry of fun stuff and feelings... and real life is setting back in for both of us. Now we'll see if I really can do this; letting him go - and feeling sure he'll be back when he can, or want me to visit him. He left me notes among other things, since they left early in the morning and I hadn't had enough coffee to be functional yet. Feet have SORTA been feeling the ground again... LOL.

I guess I was of the opinion (mistakenly) that I didn't need that kind of attention - or could do without it. Apparently that part of myself is proving the opinion WRONG. LOL. But we've had years of getting to know each other, and becoming intimate intellectually, emotionally. And he never, ever made a move in my direction until he could observe that I was past the grieving over Mike.

Thoughts are chaoticly caught up in the whirlwind... so it's probably a good idea to just watch them and let them fly off too. I've got some serious work to engage in, both mental work and pulling weeds, and finishing up the garage organization and purge. Weather is rainy all week - off/on - and it's a good time for me to "take care of business", support Steve & Holly & what she's calling the Pupa, and see if I can be grounded at the same time I'm floating. (Don't expect much, do I???)

lighter

« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2019, 09:43:30 AM »
Nope, not asking much, Amber.  Not much at all

What did you say when he asked you what was wrong?

Good for you, enforcing boundaries. 

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2019, 08:44:00 PM »
Oh, I just told him Lighter. He knows about her already. I've known this guy online for at least 6 years. He's one of the "big brothers" that got me through Mike. The one I could call at ANY time and he was there. And he KNEW what I was going through and needed.

I'm not difficult really. Just in my own head. Still unravelling that; and reclaiming the me I used to be - ALMOST as fearless as Hol. (Not quite... admitted. She & I are still very different in subtle ways.)

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2019, 07:02:42 AM »
Hang on, hang on, hang on - I've missed so much!!  There is a baby on the way and man possibilities for Skep??!!  As well as house building, rock moving and mad dog antics?!  Can this woman fit any more into her life?!  Lol, this all sounds very exciting, Skep, do you feel excited?  Or cautiously optimistic?  If you and Hops are paired up the rest of us are going to need to get our skates on and catch up!  Lol xx

sKePTiKal

« Reply #144 on: June 19, 2019, 08:39:49 AM »
S'OK Tupp... the initial flurry of joy at a real connection with someone is starting to pass a bit. He lives 100s of miles from me, so we can't see each other much - and yes, I'm pretty busy at the moment. I think I'm getting myself back under control (as much as is normal anyway) again.

There are many more things that go into a relationship, and time is one that can't be ignored. Since this is going to be "long distance" for at least a year (and perhaps never happen) we'll see what develops. I think I just didn't realize how starved I was for male face to face attention and interaction. So I went a bit "whirly" there for awhile. He's handled that gracefully so far... and in the process returned a bit of my self to me, again. Something that's been missing for years now.

The universe is being good to me right now, but it also requires I "take care of business" and not just spend my days totally googly-eyed and ungrounded. I have a lot of things on that list ya know. And now, even Hol is writing lists for me to start crossing things off... since I've been distracted. Today she finds out if we have 8 months or 7 months to get her house built... and accomplish the big things on that list. So I MIGHT get scarce around here just due to being busy. But I have a feeling I'll still have time for some updates and there is gonna be a lot more emotional processing to talk out.

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #145 on: June 19, 2019, 10:30:44 AM »
S'OK Tupp... the initial flurry of joy at a real connection with someone is starting to pass a bit. He lives 100s of miles from me, so we can't see each other much - and yes, I'm pretty busy at the moment. I think I'm getting myself back under control (as much as is normal anyway) again.

There are many more things that go into a relationship, and time is one that can't be ignored. Since this is going to be "long distance" for at least a year (and perhaps never happen) we'll see what develops. I think I just didn't realize how starved I was for male face to face attention and interaction. So I went a bit "whirly" there for awhile. He's handled that gracefully so far... and in the process returned a bit of my self to me, again. Something that's been missing for years now.

The universe is being good to me right now, but it also requires I "take care of business" and not just spend my days totally googly-eyed and ungrounded. I have a lot of things on that list ya know. And now, even Hol is writing lists for me to start crossing things off... since I've been distracted. Today she finds out if we have 8 months or 7 months to get her house built... and accomplish the big things on that list. So I MIGHT get scarce around here just due to being busy. But I have a feeling I'll still have time for some updates and there is gonna be a lot more emotional processing to talk out.

I think a little bit of attention or fun or flirting or whatever it might be often makes us realise we like it without being aware we've not been getting it, if that makes sense?  It's just nice to have something that isn't work, isn't it, whatever form that work might take?  But even a long distance/talk on the phone/email buddy can be a nice thing to have going on in the background.  I find that at some point I need to rest and that's when I really wish I had someone to talk to or cuddle up with.  I think being a bit googly eyed sounds like fun for a bit of the time :)  Lol.  And Hol's new place as well, and baby :)  So much going on, wow, yes, I can see the need for emotional processing will be there!  But hopefully you'll be emotionally processing mostly good stuff :) xx

Hopalong

« Reply #146 on: June 21, 2019, 04:12:14 PM »
(((((((((((((Amber))))))))))))))

I hope he's not the married doctor guy...and regardless, it does feel happy to think of you happy!!

Alas, I can't join you at the moment in the newly-partnered kinda queue, because it's all up in the air.

But whether it's HIM in occasional 2-D,3-D or someone local, I do hope you find a real person who's really free and available to you in real time and in a real place.

My LTR, years ago, with an unavailable married man I fell head over heels for despite knowing I shouldn't (and loathing myself years later for the approximately ONE hour of physical rulebreaking)...wound up consuming me, by email and sometimes phone for YEARS before I finally worked out that with my own commitment fears, unavailable was part of the attraction. And all that passion was more my overdrive imagination ignited by very small bits of actual time and sharing into a pretty obsessive flame.

It was a huge emotional affair that ultimately left me so preoccupied with him (and our next contact) that I couldn't have found someone local anyway. In hindsight, I wish I'd run a mile before I let myself go there. (He was my boss, we were working together on the other side of the country. No excuses, though.)

Still. YOU happy makes me happy. Just a cautionary tale.

Hugs
Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #147 on: June 21, 2019, 05:11:20 PM »
Nope; not him Hops. Not EVEN with the legendary 10 ft pole in hand. Horrors... the thought gives me the vapors... (and Holly would never speak to me again either)

This guy suits me to a T, even the fact that he has his own life to deal with before truly being free to make decisions about being together. That gives us a set, but finite amount of time to see how it goes... to not get in over our heads... and yet not crowd each other or make things stressful.

He is NOT conventional, mind you. He might scare some of you all. But he doesn't bother me in the least bit. Been around guys like that all my life. Enjoy them immensely - WHEN they have the character underneath it all, and the wisdom and sensitivity, to not overwhelm people needlessly because of it. He likes being dirty, sweaty, and working from sunup to sundown at something that's needed and appreciated. And I like my role in all of that - because he will teach me and let me help and explain things. His injuries don't let him bend over & pick much up - I can be useful that way to him.

But this was a bit of reconnaissance for both of us; see if there was really an interest that we thought was lurking... and now we get to go slow for a bit. However, I have been assured he can be here in 6 hrs by motorcycle if I really need him. I've explained that Hol, Steve & I are adequate to hold the fort at least that long... LOL. And ya know what? the roads work both ways - now I have two vehicles that are in tip top condition to actually entertain the idea of a trip.

Hopalong

« Reply #148 on: June 21, 2019, 05:32:01 PM »
Oh now I'm turning cartwheels for you!
Very slow geriatric and entirely mental cartwheels!

Happy dances that don't require getting off the couch!
Fist pump in the air just now..THAT really happened.

And this...is really happening for you!
Over
the
moon.

Do provide mountain man description, asap...

Hugs
Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2019, 10:01:53 AM »
LOL.... understand Hops, there is a LOT of romanticized creative license in the description. Still. He was injured in combat in the 90's; he and about 20 other guys with similar injuries got some bionic treatment... and he's one of the last of that group still standing above the dirt. He describes himself as dented, not broken... and jokes about rappelling out of hospital windows to escape the clueless nurses and horrible food.

He's the same age as Mike, about my height and not quite as gray/white as I am. The beard is impressive; long & luxurious; SOFT. Long hair, thinning on top, with a couple beaded braids. Lots of laugh lines and crinkles around grey eyes that twinkle telling stories on himself or talking about his daughter. He's Appalachian, like me... with a good sized helping of native, too. He's more of an "old gods" believer too. Rough, callused hands that are usually dirty, given the equipment he works on - and he works on all kinds of things. He still likes to go fast on motorcycles; faster than I'd dare and I quit riding because I liked speed too much.

He's like a powerful arrow released at large foot pounds of pressure from a taut bow - point him in the direction of a task and don't get in his way. You can help of course, and ask questions... he'll gladly explain something while taking a break. His hands are steady and patient while dealing with small engine parts and squeezing things between hoses, wires... all the tight places at awkward angles. It doesn't matter the task - he's on it and got it done before you can (or I can) process that it's really happening. He can't stand sitting still or being immobilized.

He's wise in the woods ways; having spent the first part of his life in the mountains... but he's also travelled to far away places and seen/done other things too. There isn't any topic of conversation that he doesn't chime in with the sensitive voice of experience - especially the kinds of things, he and I have in common at the core: trauma and what it takes to manage/live with the residual stuff and not be an evil person. He likes music and making things... which was part of the reason for the trip.

Long time ago he was showing off to the guys online some of the knives he makes from old car and truck steel. I was fully in my "post-modern pirate" phase then, and asked him if he'd make me a short sword. We discussed blade design... and shortly thereafter his bionic medical devices started going south on him. (This was maybe 6-7 years ago.) So, I shut up about the sword... dealt with Mike going downhill in a hurry; he spent a solid two years going in/out of surgery for a few different things and when he could post or we could talk on the phone or text... I had his back through all of that. But I was also just one part of the crew of loyal friends supporting him. He's been through some scary stuff. I was going through my own scary stuff - and he was there for me without trespassing any boundaries that would complicate things or make me more stressed out and conflicted. Patience of a hunter.

So, after recovering from the last batch of lab-rat lunacy... he mentioned he was looking for something specific, but kind of uncommon. I PM'd him that of course I still had one, due to Mike's 'collecting' obsession. When he took the bait, and asked what I wanted for it - I told him all I wanted was the sword he'd promised he'd make me. Then, the trip up was postponed for about 3 more months for medical crap again... until both my jeeps came up with some technical problems. All this time, we're irregularly in contact and chatting about our separate lives.

He loaded his own tools in the back of his apprentice's pickup and brought what he had. The sword wasn't with him. He'd been out on the Redbud reservation for a traditional buffalo hunt some years ago, and came back with some bone for knife handles. He was using jawbone for the sword. It goes through some alchemical process to harden it... and the handle broke twice in shipping or processing. So it's out for a third time and he's waiting on it. He also made a baldric to hold it; strap goes over the shoulder to keep the sword close to the body. What he delivered... was a really nice handmade & polished from recycled steel, throwing tomahawk and the wickedest fixed blade knife in the heaviest leather belt sheath I've ever seen that impressed Hol too. He'd stamped the sheath with my horoscope birth sign.

I asked him how he knew that - because I rarely mention my birthday, and he just smiled that steathy grin and said, "I pay attention to things".

Lest you think I make "easy prey"... and just blindly fall for the "wow... this is the first guy to pay attention to me" trap... I've had a year to think about this without it being muddied with the old emotional attachment to Mike. And we still hadn't met face to face. Buck is one of the 3 big brothers that chivalrously and wisely and gallantly got me through all of that mess. The doc, given what he revealed about himself awhile ago... doesn't even know about this development. He's gotten overly-parental of me. The other one is my "second brain" - happily married, medically retired, and still raising adopted twins that they rescued from a violent, ugly situation overseas. We will always be friends, because he also shares the link to strange things via trauma. He knows, is happy for us, respects Buck from knowing him online too.

So, my life is shifting from the time/space to just deal with me (and Hol was afraid I was getting too comfortable in that zone) to one of complicated logistics due to the fact that Hol, and now Steve are basically living here until the Holly Hut is complete... with a little wolf pup on the way - LOL. It's a race to see if they can get her place livable by the time she delivers. This solves one of my fears about getting feeble out here all alone; they'll be at the bottom of the hill behind my house. Steve is also a woodsman and naturalist and has some skills in common with Buck. Steve was working most of the weekend when they were here. That kept testosterone levels managable for Hol & me.

There is no rush, no pressure... but the desire for Buck and me to spend more time together. We have our own individual logistics to sort out before we can even add the possibility of an "our" logistics. And I'm just fine with that arrangement. He is able to explain to me how to do; is constantly offering to help or fix something... and I have to remind him, doing the work around here is all part of my "longevity workout program".

I expected him to be tall, dark and handsome in a "Sir Lancelot" kind of way. I think he used to be. Now he kinda reminds me of a druid, or one of the old Vikings still looking for their passport to Valhalla. And I intensely reminded him, that Shield Maidens are a force in their own right - even though we are also, "all female". I haven't even scared him off with going through one of my weird "knowings" and subsequent panic attacks. He and I use the same techniques to get through them.

There is always a little "space" between us... even as the doors to being emotionally intimate with each other get blown off their hinges. LOL. We both respect that space... and it's magic for making things work out. I KNOW I can trust him. And he knows I'm not going anywhere either - even when I had to pull back for awhile because I was mixing up feelings I was still dealing with, over Mike with my developing feelings for him, I was still around supporting him and letting him know I cared. There is a female friend in common between he and I, on the forum we share. I confided in her, about why I backed off. So he probably knows. She's good; wouldn't just blab... but also make things clear to him.

I'm just taking one thing one day at a time, as they come up. He's been alone awhile too... and doing the same. But now we touch base with each other, morning & evening. And that much is comfortable and cozy; non-scary.