Author Topic: 2019 Farm Life  (Read 37717 times)

sKePTiKal

Re: 2019 Farm Life
« Reply #180 on: July 18, 2019, 07:08:12 AM »
No rest for the weary around here. I think I'm going to have to travel south soon for another "fix" live, and in living color, of my sweetie.

He's still going through unpleasant complications; it's not the first time for this so he copes pretty well. But it means a shift in my routine - I can be awake at all hours of the night now, instead of my normal diurnal sleep schedule. Hol is riding herd on me, reminding me that she and I have multiple things going on pertaining to our situation and life here... and keeping me from smothering this man who's been successfully alone for even longer than I've been. The "crowding" reflex is a left-over from Mike's clingy neediness. I didn't like it much either, so I'm trying hard to be conscious of it... and give him space and autonomy.

Meeting this morning with Holly Hut contractor; going over plans, cost estimates, etc. Hopefully get a tentative start date. Hol & Steve are going to start tackling the clearing of the site - brush and smaller trees and because former house guest needs some extra income (and something to take his mind off the old neural paths he's starting to return to) he's going to spend a couple days assisting. It's back-breaking work and not for the un-spry. But I've offered the bobcat up and can run that, behind them, to get things pulled out and levelled.

New lawyer sent me home with a binder to review all the estate, trust plan he put together in our first meeting. Added plus, he seems very well-versed in tax law too. And he's incredibly straightforward, charming and funny. Don't think I didn't kinda take a moment to think about that during our mind-meld session. LOL. He even took an interest in the property and suggested an additional land acquisition... having bought into my goal of owning a significant buffer between me and any future development out here.

Had a pleasant conversation with my brother about some of the suggestions lawyer made for the business as well. And he's engaged in the need for discussion! (Miracle) and willing to research on his end too. Amazing what getting out of bad relationships and some therapy can do for a person.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

Hopalong

« Reply #181 on: July 18, 2019, 10:42:17 AM »
That is all awesome news, ((((Amber))))!

Bonanza sounds amazing. Would love to see the spread one day. Exciting stuff.

I will not bother being concerned about house guest becoming a barnacle in your lives whose mental illness continues to surge and fall and your family becomes somehow his family and there he is decades from now, drinking beer and being needy, and the charm has totally evaporated from being his rescuers.... Ahem. Right. Won't be concerned!

I'm glad you get to see B soon. As to the hovering concern, heed it with all your strength. M's post-widowhood intensity, his desire to hover and enmesh, was so powerful at first it nearly drove me mad. Fortunately, after six months he's feeling more secure I think, but it really tested me. I felt smothered. Didn't matter that he was proclaiming love nonstop, he wouldn't get out of my mental space and kept doing everything he could to "hook back" my attention. It backfired big time.

I don't think you're anywhere near out of control as M was. But it's something to manage as best you can. I know you know that, just preaching to a very smart and self-aware choir things I many times needed to preach to myself.

Hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

sKePTiKal

« Reply #182 on: July 19, 2019, 11:58:08 AM »
Yup Hops; you're absolutely right. And I'm painfully aware of that tendency in myself. I think I just explained it to Buck, adequately if not perfectly. He needs something besides his own physical trauma to think about right now. And I did tell him it's my job to ride herd on it and if fixing is possible, work on that too. I also worry about mind-reading his reaction to it, in myself. We're in the midst of another post-op storm that may require additional surgery. So crazy times again. For me; not so much him - this is now SOP for him.

But you KNOW what kind of past crap is coming up for me and the temptation to see the pattern and react as if they're the same situation; they most definitely are NOT the same. So, juggling that too. And I have to accomplish a couple more things on the Holly Hut project today, then I can let myself obsess to my heart's content on this other stuff.

But I think I'm going to continue trying to untangle past & present instead. I'm. Not sure when I'll get to see Buck again. I had to basically find the biggest sharpie I could find and write in the very front of my mind... that an essential reality here, is that I may never see him again. Not that I wouldn't move heaven and earth trying to do so. Because whether I intended to or not, I got that invested emotionally in the space of a few hours; a couple of days.

It does absolutely no good to lecture myself or beat up on myself or judge myself over it now. Now it's just a matter trying to figure out how best to surf this without drowning. Sometimes, that means to stop struggling.

Hopalong

« Reply #183 on: July 19, 2019, 05:15:32 PM »
Totally agree and cheering you on.

You took the tally and decided this is so real that it is worth it,
and now you're riding the waves.

I know you are going to be okay. He has already awakened you
and jump-started your heart. Only because you chose to open it.

Now the task is to remember that there is ALSO joy in walking
peacefully in one's own skin. You still own your skin. That skin
is containing and supporting and sheltering you, and very competently.

You're not going to dissolve and lose yourself, no matter what happens
next (poor guy). You are still you and will remain you and you both are
and always will be a wonderful companion, because you've worked so
hard to become a good companion to yourself.

That's my take. I know this is hard, hon.
I can imagine.

(I feel the same way about M, warts and all, simply because it feels
so good to love and be loved back.)

love
Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #184 on: July 20, 2019, 08:58:16 AM »
It is worth it Hops. Last night with no reference whatsoever, he just said "thank you". I was so sleepy I didn't even ask for what..... LOL. He's still waiting, all doped up again, in the hospital to find out what needs to be fixed this time. But at least it will be cool in there. This heat can take a hike, IMO.

Struck me, that my last relationship ended with all this kind of difficulty. And this one, is starting with it. I hope that it follows later on, with an absence of this kind of thing. Might be too much to ask, but I guess I'm not shy about hoping for it.

Hopalong

« Reply #185 on: July 20, 2019, 11:13:09 AM »
Just suffused gratitude, not for specific behavior, but for you being you, for being open, for loving him, for being in his life. How beautiful and deserved.

Oh I hope so too, that you two will have a beautiful chapter together with peace from pain. SO hope so.

Calling on the universe, deliver comfort please pronto to Mr. B.

Yes about the heat. Should "feel like" well into the hundreds today. Don't wanna do anything. M wanted to sprint over to the U. for a special exhibit. But with parking, we'd be trundling around in this heat. Not interested.

hugs
Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #186 on: July 21, 2019, 11:34:40 AM »
Well, these are all just stumbling blocks in the post-op recovery. Looks like the docs are just trying to stabilize his symptoms and let time do it's thing. He does sound a lot less miserable and more like his cantankerous and mischevious self. We're sorting out all the emotional stuff I've got hanging around still... from Mike's passing. He's a captive audience, and I have a way to type out the stuff in my head for him... so he knows and he knows he doesn't have to respond. Just listen. He knows now, I can separate past & present but I can't help seeing patterns that can freak me out. It's WORK, and it's my work.

Meanwhile, Hol couldn't wait one more day, till the temps drop off to normal to get started clearing brush on the Hut site. I don't know how long they'll last - but since we have former house guest trading us 2 days of his work for reasonable pay the first of the week - I've got to go collect the supplies to feed the troops today. I'll get more diesel for the bobcat too. Hol said she could drive it, so I gave the OK. It's just too hot for me. I was halfway ill yesterday from the heat. I'll be helping with the bobcat when it cools off. Rick came & looked at the next bit of work we need to cross off the list, and he'll want the bobcat too because I have a big auger. So its all happening as fast as humanly possible - while all the new relationship is going on, too. Hol and I had to take a day off from each other yesterday. I had enough in my head that I was processing as fast as I could... that I didn't have any room for hers or her ideas or want-tos.

She ran into the living room, dancing around a bit, and then threw me a Klondike bar - like feeding the lions at the zoo. LOL.... silly kid. But it does help.

Much as I like the south and it's culture and traditions... the heat just makes it impossible for me to live there. I do much better with below zero temps and 4 ft of snow. I can suffer through a few days of extreme heat - but 3 weeks is a bit much; and it's takes a toll. I don't even sleep well.

Next week will be different all the way around.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 11:36:22 AM by sKePTiKal »

sKePTiKal

« Reply #187 on: July 26, 2019, 01:34:22 PM »
"Interesting" week around here - as in the Chinese curse type of interesting.

Good = Holly Hut work has started. She, Steve, the backhoe buddy and the bobcat are making short work of clearing enough trees to build. He's handling the perk test and application for septic permit; well company is on vacation till Tuesday next week, then we'll deal with that. Hol will stake out boundaries of the foundation and chances are backhoe guy will excavate for septic. Power company came out and gave me a formula to realize that running poles and lines down there, will be as expensive as high-end solar-propane-generator system estimate... with the added negative that they would need to clear another road basically parallel to the existing road of trees. That would hurt all of us, I think. They need 15-30 ft of space, clear, to protect power lines. She and Steve have found most of a path, up and down the cliff at the back of the house that can be developed for a shortcut between both places.

Buck and I are giving each other more space; he's healing up pretty good this go-round just taking longer than he wants. One way or another, we'll be seeing each other soon. Road goes both ways. It's proving to be an interesting process this long-distance situation.

Obviously, we aren't in constant contact. Both of us have lots of things to do in our separate lives. It's easy to feel like there really isn't an "us" yet... like he's dropped off the airwaves; sometimes that's because he's really incommunicado without communication stuff. But that's GOOD, in the long run. So we say good morning and check in on each other's day at night. In between there can be communication (solo) regarding thoughts on specific topics depending on the day's schedule. I have more free time than he does. And we can get in depth, sharing on certain topics. Other times, I can feel him as close as if he were right behind me.

So the connection, I *think*, was the first thing established and has evolved the most so far. Only now are we getting into the normal "getting to know you" stuff: just how many kids do you HAVE? Talking about past lives & experiences... where we are now. He is about the same age Mike was, so very close to my age. But while I was graduating high school and escaping the clutches of my FOO only to find myself going from frying pan to fire...

He was having his first experience of combat. It came up, because he had a nightmare (he claims he doesn't sleep deep enough to dream, because of not wanting the nightmares to happen) about his first "must survive" fight. And what he learned about himself as a result. So we both have our different PTSD experiences which the "us" will have to live with. He was able to tell me the story; calmly; no embellishment. I actively listened; compassionately witnessed. And that's all that was needed. I didn't freak out over it and intuited a lot about the situation. We go away; and then come back and talk about it some more. I think he's a bit bowled over that I'm not fleeing in terror, judging him, and that I really do know some of what dealing with it all about.

But it did cause me to pause and take a serious look at my capability. I know my limits somewhat; definitely know my triggers (and those got tripped in a big way over the weekend again; thanks Amy) so the process of dealing with those things was close to the surface for me too. And except for that one day of trauma that involved the physical fight and rape, my triggering experiences are very different than his. There shouldn't be any overlap or confusion due to our own crap.

But we both know that it's our job to fix our own crap. He has help; as do I. And we keep working on it. But I do understand; and I don't see him negatively because of this "baggage" he's still dealing with. He's just as human as I am. And he's just as kind, considerate, empathetic and caring as someone might be who hasn't been through what he has. Given the crap I've been through and picking my way carefully through that mess to what I describe as "mostly healthy" I can least encourage him that it's not a life sentence. I do realize it never completely goes away - or Amy & the boys wouldn't trigger all that for me in the first place. But I can deal with it when it comes up and contain it enough to still function.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 01:38:00 PM by sKePTiKal »

Hopalong

« Reply #188 on: July 27, 2019, 10:51:37 AM »
Utterly impressive, Amber.
This is one very mature (life mature, as in seasoned with wisdom) getting-to-know-you process you and B are in.

I like the way you describe it, approach it, respect it, and accept it.

Really.

Maybe someone with your history is the person who can relate to someone with his, and vice versa. It sure sounds like it. And you kept your head engaged and your triggers on safety.

Bravo, you!

Hugs
Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #189 on: July 28, 2019, 09:09:41 AM »
Hahaha! Here's something ironic.

Just as I'm kicking the last of the social shoulds to the curb, and the white picket fence limitations... he's very old fashioned in his ideas about relationships. Eyes open for possessiveness cues in the future, but I don't think there will be any. He's already heard several of the stories of scorched earth I left behind with some relationships. As for me, I've had to let him go do - guy stuff - so many times already, that pattern is already established. The enmeshment issue isn't going to be a big one with this guy. And one of the things he respects about me is my ability to defend myself and deal with my own crap.

Yet the level of romance stuff and real connection - the simple way he sees and explains things - has got me sinking into comfort and immense gratitude that I could be this lucky - again. He validated my intuition and recollection of small things that were clues to understanding that he's been keeping an eye on me for quite some time; knowing when he needed to tell me he was there... and keeping his distance when I had things under control. I know things about him that he hasn't exactly told me yet. This feeling isn't giddy - it's like sinking your toes into that lovely moss lighter grows and laughing at how it tickles sometimes. It's restful.

There is some big astrological stuff coming up in January - and the movements that direction have already started. I don't pay a LOT of attention to astrology - but neither do I ignore the serious student's work. I'm beginning to understand that some of the changes - including new relationships - that seem to be trending right now, are part of that change. One of the widows on my other forum, has also repartnered recently. It's like we're finding those good matches now, in preparation for getting through what this planetary chart is going to generate months from now. Deepening some relationships and letting others go is definitely part of that.

My general anxiety levels are fading away - even in the face of the my normal disruptions/crises and now dealing with Buck's. I suppose it's possible that those years alone I finally connected and established some trust with; confidence in, my deeper intuitive/emotional side - which came up in the middle of Mike's and my relationship and he never was comfortable with - so now, there isn't anything lurking in the dark corners of my past which is going to show up and crash the party. I've connected reactions and patterns of behavior/thought with the things I'm still working on... and they're known. I can talk about those without experiencing shame. It'll take longer for the anger to completely subside, I know... but it's going down too.

Now if I could just snap my fingers and have all the weeds pulled in my garden beds -- LOL.

sKePTiKal

« Reply #190 on: July 29, 2019, 08:33:12 AM »
Slight clarification - because of this year's worth of time and individual responsibilities - he isn't going to ALLOW enmeshment/co-dependent stuff to get a foothold. It's because he has things he MUST do. I am seeing warning signs in myself; and it's due to lack of understanding/experience of where the line should be, between being involved with someone and enmeshing. Good chance for me, to work on that some more. Patterns and habits.

The other thing that dawned on me, is that I'm used to being in the lead on decision-making. Makes me a terrible dance partner, unless I learn to let go and RELAX, stop struggling, and trust his lead. The last thing I want is another power struggle like Mike and I went through. This is not the same as giving up autonomy.

Communication is still a weak point for me. Instead of realizing exactly what I want or need, and asking for it, I get invested in the emotional side of that and then beat around the bush, dropping hints & clues, and striking a match of resentment when my mind isn't being read. (See: enmeshment)

So he's working on fixing his medical issues and unentangling himself or finishing up his responsibilities on his side of this year. And I think I just listed my major tasks.

sKePTiKal

« Reply #191 on: August 01, 2019, 09:04:33 AM »
Stop Struggling, is precisely the right mantra right now. For me.

I have spent most of my life since the Twiggy days, being over-responsible, over-compensating, with a chip on my shoulder about proving that I was indeed better than "good enough"... in an attempt to be worthy of love. Yeah, that worked out well. Some took advantage of me and I resented it; other times I threw myself away in desperation. Until some switch would flip in my head and I'd pull up the big girl pants and pull on the boots and walk away without looking back.

Clearly, that habit pattern bumps up against Buck's competency and effectiveness at taking care of himself. He is very independent and good at it. It's not a struggle for him; that's who he is. That old need to be needed thing again; riding to the rescue. Sigh..... it's totally not necessary here. It's also awkward and gets in my way. Now that I've gotten the worst of the Mikey crap out of my spaces... it's time to also clean the cobwebs and old patterns out of my head and reactions and tendencies.

So, stop struggling also refers to being able to accept that all is well; I am safe; I'm not going to get lost in this relationship or bulldozed... and I don't have to work so damn hard to be "worthy". I really can trust him; he's wise, experienced, and he cares - a LOT. There is an open door to the opportunity to fully step into "me" sans roles and expectations and STILL be accepted and appreciated. And this is outside my comfort zone of always having to do everything in a relationship. Brand new experience for me. Unfamiliar and awkward. But it sure feels pretty nice when I stop analyzing it with my super-fine microscope. Like getting home, after being away for a long time.

Today I'm going to put on a new dress and go to town; pick up my new glasses... run a couple more leisurely errands and get back this afternoon in time to put in a few more hours on the work shirt I'm making him. It's going to be too big; already know that - he's lost a lot of weight through the surgeries.

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #192 on: August 01, 2019, 10:55:51 AM »
Stop Struggling, is precisely the right mantra right now. For me.

I have spent most of my life since the Twiggy days, being over-responsible, over-compensating, with a chip on my shoulder about proving that I was indeed better than "good enough"... in an attempt to be worthy of love. Yeah, that worked out well. Some took advantage of me and I resented it; other times I threw myself away in desperation. Until some switch would flip in my head and I'd pull up the big girl pants and pull on the boots and walk away without looking back.

Clearly, that habit pattern bumps up against Buck's competency and effectiveness at taking care of himself. He is very independent and good at it. It's not a struggle for him; that's who he is. That old need to be needed thing again; riding to the rescue. Sigh..... it's totally not necessary here. It's also awkward and gets in my way. Now that I've gotten the worst of the Mikey crap out of my spaces... it's time to also clean the cobwebs and old patterns out of my head and reactions and tendencies.

So, stop struggling also refers to being able to accept that all is well; I am safe; I'm not going to get lost in this relationship or bulldozed... and I don't have to work so damn hard to be "worthy". I really can trust him; he's wise, experienced, and he cares - a LOT. There is an open door to the opportunity to fully step into "me" sans roles and expectations and STILL be accepted and appreciated. And this is outside my comfort zone of always having to do everything in a relationship. Brand new experience for me. Unfamiliar and awkward. But it sure feels pretty nice when I stop analyzing it with my super-fine microscope. Like getting home, after being away for a long time.

Today I'm going to put on a new dress and go to town; pick up my new glasses... run a couple more leisurely errands and get back this afternoon in time to put in a few more hours on the work shirt I'm making him. It's going to be too big; already know that - he's lost a lot of weight through the surgeries.

Skep, getting dressed up for a trip into town sounds lovely, and making Buck a work shirt just sounds so sweet :)

I always think it's strange that we struggle when we meet people who don't need us to be messed up?  So many years for you of over reaching and over compensating - it would be nice if when we met someone who doesn't need us to do that that it was just an easy relief.  But sometimes we struggle, don't we, to not do the things we've always done - even though we don't need to anymore.

Old habits and old patterns, I guess - hard to keep on top of.  I'm so glad you're getting this time with Buck, even if he does live a bit of a journey away.  I hope not having to do everything in this relationship starts to feel easier and more natural soon :) xx

sKePTiKal

« Reply #193 on: August 02, 2019, 08:39:20 AM »
Thank ye Tupp.

It might not be a real thing, if there weren't some bumps and discomfort along the way, would it? I don't think I could trust anything that was TOO EASY. It would just seem false, somehow.

I think, right now anyway, that the trickiest thing I'm navigating is the physical distance, his independence and lack of needing to be smothered in "woman". It definitely doesn't mean he not emotionally available or doesn't care. He's always showing me in unsolicited ways. Still tells me he loves me twice a day... but not 10 times a day like he's trying to hypnotize me into trusting him. I don't know if he knows a thing about co-dependency - but his nature is such, that he's like an antidote to it, as long as I pay attention to my own baggage and try not to repeat it.

And of course it's going to feel completely new & unfamiliar for someone to want to take care of me for a change. Without wanting to turn me into a Stepford Wife. He definitely LIKES that I'm strong, busy, independent, and speak my mind. There is only one relationship I've had previously that comes close to that - and it was never ever going to be a domestic type of situation. I knew that from the beginning. It lasted maybe 10 years, but we were always apart and only spoke over the phone infrequently - at an incredible level of intimacy between us - for the last 5. Epitome of two ships passing in the night - but we knew each other almost immediately upon meeting; like someone from a past life story. He died in a car accident in the 90s.

Some of the first giddiness is wearing off now. (Not all of it; he can send me zooming with a single pet name again; and does on a regular basis. There's still a lot of flirting going on.) Beyond that, I'm noticing a lot of endearing qualities. He's pretty able to be vulnerable emotionally; despite fully qualifying for all the masculine attributes and even stereotypes. And he's comfortable with that... which in some magic way allows me more space to engage the feminine side of myself. Almost going as far back as Twiggy's 12 yr old girl understanding of boy-girl interactions and feeling way more "seen" with her Dad, than her mom.

He's also very disciplined (as former military often are), stays very busy at this or that - even when he's laid up recovering from surgery he's doing some with his hands; supportive without telling me what to do or trying to fix things; and for as long as we've talked - 5 or 6 years now - has been the greatest confidence booster in my abilities to do and manage and get through difficult things.

When Mama Tiger comes out, trying to protect him and defend him, he can tell me when to stand down and just stop; and she's been a little busy lately - which is how I bumped into his boundary. He doesn't need a babysitter or me clucking all around him trying to wrap him up in bubble-wrap. He is competent and capable and will handle it himself. So far all that's been communicated very gently and understanding. He's aware that I'm not very familiar with a lot of the things he's dealt with; but he knows I learn quick and can adapt/manage my instinct without just giving up and getting steamrolled.

The connection between us definitely has a non-verbal side; because of my difficulties sometimes saying something simply, just coming out with it; this is a good thing. It's kinda like we have our own psychic radio frequency. We just KNOW about each other. Bad moods, frustrating days, bad nights with nightmares, or worries... with one breath we seem to know when the other needs us and can feel that we're there, even when we can't communicate in reality at just that moment.

WHEW. Yeah, I been doing a lot of thinking about this. The long-distance thing and the timeframe involved, the big medical issues, and my crazy intense emotional laser beams has been a lot to reconcile in my logical mind. The reality that at any point in time something could happen to one or the other of us, and there wouldn't be any happy ending - except for being able to be there for each other, as best we can, right NOW. We may never make a traditional commitment, in the standard form; but this is as real as it gets.

I ain't never been "normal", and it doesn't look like I'm going to be trying any time soon either - LOL; he says the same about himself. We're both card carrying member of the Land of Misfit Children. LOL.

SO... some months ago, BB (before Buck), out of the blue, I announced to Hol that it was time for me to go through one of my periodic tranformations. Hair, wardrobe, lifestyle, etc. Some of this is lifecycle adaptation; some of it is associated with relationship chapters of my life. Or work, sometimes.

So I've been slowly digesting the idea trying to figure out what needs to go on a list to remember to do. My weight's down where I can move & work way more comfortably now - so I need to start adding in some time sculpting ye olde bod. So back to pilates, yoga and tai chi... adding some weight training for muscle strength too. All mostly core work. Back strengthening.

For the last year or so, I've played around with the idea of letting my hair grow long again. Last haircut, I argued the whole way to town with myself about it and told Abby, I'll call ya for an appt, to shape things up as it grows out. The short classic bob DID look really good, was easy to deal with. Yes. She was able to do things with the natural wave in my hair that Jim never quite controlled. But I'm not going to be happy until I try this and if I hate it, well in the space of 1/2 an hour, Abby can put it back the way it was.

Clothes, I've gotten about as uncaring about as I did food, for awhile. Plain, unpatterned fabric that covered me. J. Jill turned out to be just the ticket for me. And the clothes FELT good too. Simple shapes; very zen-ish... no frills. Spartan. But then I have work clothes for the farm, so lots of Carhartt type stuff; Duluth. And well.... now I want to look pretty - in my eyes and his. Plus it feels weird to wear jammies that Mike bought me. So I started with a couple things for night time. Bought 3 dresses from JJill, that are really CUTE. I think it was when Holly and I went to see Nick Cave, back in November... that I realized my wardrobe sucked pathetically. It was depressing. Nothing fun or really flattering. And I haven't bought pretty shoes in like FOREVAH.

How we look to ourselves, kind of influences how we FEEL. How we look to the outside world, kind of has multiple roles. It communicates something about "who we are", like with a business suit or scrubs, and also expresses a bit of "who we are really" to other people. These are two completely different things for me.

What I've bought so far... will look just fine, sans another 5 lbs or so and at least another couple inches less... with some muscle firming and toning. And I need to practice - in front of a mirror - smiling more. Until it both looks good, and feels good. This poker face just isn't gonna cut it anymore.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 08:49:43 AM by sKePTiKal »

lighter

« Reply #194 on: August 02, 2019, 04:48:22 PM »
That's so weird that you mention "poker face", Amber.  I think about that lately, how I'm used to carrying a face worthy of the Rifleman.... not aggressive, or mean, just very no-nonsense, and serious....  I think it's a coping strategy I haven't been able to let go of yet... but I'm working on it!  For a while, years ago, I would smile out of nervousness, and that was a problem too.   

About how we look effecting how we feel which translates into how others see and respond to us.....it's the same with what we SAY about ourselves to ourselves, and others, IME.  Our biology responds, and chemicals are released.  We might as well cultivate the happiest chemicals possible.

You appear to be navigating the long distance relationship gauntlet pretty well, IMO.  I'm not sure Buck is thinking as hard on it as you are, but I could be wrong. 

I'm glad you're putting everything, or a lot of it, in writing, bc it helps us process to write it out.  Also, it's sort of like a journal, if you want to go back, and see where you were... ever.

I can't see any red flags, from what you're writing, outside spending time in the future and past, and the distance between you leaves a lot of space for that.  You aren't in the past and future out of worry.... I think you're processing, calculating, being pragmatic, and weighing the truths as you see them.  That's just being thorough. 

I'm looking forward to the time you two get back together again.  You'll likely have a good deal sorted out, emotionally and logistically, for yourself.  That will lead to more relaxed time, with the least amount of worry, and his physical recovery will be the issue at that point... I think.

Have fun, Amber.  I enjoy reading your posts, and enjoying vicariously through your and Hop's posts. 

Lighter