Author Topic: Pooch  (Read 758 times)

Hopalong

Pooch
« on: January 28, 2024, 06:00:47 PM »
....She saw me coming this morning and per the emergency ER, got so excited she either careened into the wall corner when leaping off the couch and hit her head, or was having a brain incident or vestibular problem. She staggered and wobbled and had spazzy eyeballs. Friend drove us to the vet (30 min) and she shook and panicked the whole way.

Right now she's on neurontin and an anti-inflammatory and I'm to keep a close eye due to risk of seizures.

Since her favorite daytime spot is the sofa, I need to rig a foam mattress
on the floor to prevent further hard landings. I have a spare sheet of foam
in my basement. Can't lift/drag it myself so I'll find somebody.

Proper diagnosis will take a while, but she began to recover partly at the ER and
is still able to walk, poop, and charm people. I'm encouraged because I was terrified when she couldn't stand up or walk and dragged her back end. She's recovered from that. Still crooked and staggering but she can go out to pee and get back in the doggie door. That takes getting up three steps so I was thrilled when she managed it while I was on the throne.

Watta day. It's impossible to explain how half my heart resides in this 20 pound "person."

hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

sKePTiKal

Re: Pooch
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 09:32:43 AM »
That must've been scary Hops! But it sounds like she's gonna be OK. Meantime, she can be a pampered pillow princess, eh?
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

lighter

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 01:46:53 PM »
What a scary day, ((Pooch and Hops.))

Glad things are looking good for recovery.

Let us know what the doc says happened.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 12:53:28 PM »
Thanks, both of you!

She is SO much better. Still the occasional wobble and I'm trying to prevent her leaps off things, but she is walking straighter and seems much more like herself.

No diagnosis so far (would require MRIs and scans and stuff I wouldn't do unless she deteriorated) so I'm going with the idea that she really rang her clock hitting that wall corner and was pancaked like a concussed football player. This is the most likely explanation and I'll worry about possible long-term issues, but for now it makes sense and if it's something else, it'll appear. I think we all may have close calls before we ring that final doorbell, it's how nature works. So I'm just grateful that she's coming through it.

She's about 85% back and moving better every day. WHEEE-EWWWWWWWWW.

hugs and thanks,
Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2024, 07:51:00 AM »
Something to consider Hops, is getting a younger dog into the household now, so Pooch can show him/her the ropes. I think a puppy would be too crazy to consider, what with training and all. But a 1-2 yr old is still "trainable", would have as much play energy. and could be well socialized to people and other critters.

It could be overwhelming for you, I get that. But considering that some dogs are quieter, temperament-wise I would look around for some lonely guy/gal who needs a home... and to continue your live-in companionship, in case Pooch does decline drastically. I've also seen younger dogs "rejuvenate" some older buddies too.

Ultimately, it depends on what you think you can handle, practically speaking.

Hopalong

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2024, 10:11:23 AM »
Awww, I'm still missing NewDog! She was so perfect. But I know she is being adored somewhere else.

Actually, I'm not going to push either Pooch or myself to deal with a new or younger animal. Pooch is a one-woman wonder and likes it that way. I'm only going to get senior dogs from here on, because I strongly prefer not to die on a dog and put it through grief or relocation.

A writer friend just lost her pooch and is deep in the hunt. The kinds of dogs we'll each need are: oldish, under 20 lbs (in my case, 10-15 max due to my back), house trained and mellow. Huge demand for such pooches. At one point the local shelter was a stop for a huge tractor trailer from Texas filled with small dogs. That's where I got Newdog to foster. They'd gotten shots and quick health checks (missed her pregnancy, oops) and there were crates outside. I just walked up and said okay, that one. Took seconds. And what an adorable gentle sweet creature she was, who pissed everywhere! In time, we would've made it, but Pooch had sunk into depression and my back couldn't take the constant bending, plus incipient whelping.

If they get another small-dog shipment I'd maybe consider fostering again, but overall I think it'd be better to just wait. Enjoy Pooch for the duration, then find a new little rescue who needs a home. Easiest kind of little pooch would be one surrended by an older person who could no longer care for it. Sad but common.

I love your idea but I won't be looking for lots of energy in a new pooch when the time comes. A couch potato is just fine by me. And though it'll be hard, I'm not afraid of being dogless while I get over Pooch. Hopefully not for very long.

hugs
Hops

lighter

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2024, 03:09:13 PM »
I'm glad Pooch is back to 85%, Hops.

That sounds really promising.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2024, 05:02:13 PM »
93.65789% now! And her spirit's all back.
I love her smiling gaze. She keeps a close eye on me generally, but can snooze for hours leaving me to write.

:)

xxxooo
Hops

lighter

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2024, 09:14:37 PM »
So glad your sweet pooch is feeling better and better.

I think dogs can sleep 18 hours a day.... I know baby girl Pug can.

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2024, 08:40:33 AM »
I sure hope they can sleep that long! I've got Knuckles, and have to go walk & feed Kiri and Beeb in a few. Hol decided to spend the night with some girlfriends in a rented cottage near here yesterday. Since it's raining, I s'pose I need to get dressed first.  <wink>

Hol deserves a night off with ladies she hasn't seen for awhile. Spring is trying to sproing around here but there's a chance of flurries Tuesday evening. Maybe. Forecast is schizophrenic!

Hopalong

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2024, 10:48:24 AM »
I just love the name Knuckles. I spose its similarity to knucklehead is not an accident? LOL.

I'm weird about this warm winter. I'm into winter right now, and want more months of that quiet, interior time. I think. Anyhow, nature will do what she does, no matter how much we harm her.

Working sloooowly on the house, occasional friend date, plus Pooch, is enough for me for now.

hugs
Hops