Author Topic: Health Updates  (Read 22680 times)

Hopalong

Health Updates
« on: August 05, 2019, 12:50:34 PM »
Hi all,
I'm really grateful for your support and sympathy as I work through this post-stroke stuff. I decided to make a separate thread where I can talk about that so I don't muddle it up with my Relationship thread. So this is a response to your recent posts over there.

The monitor is on my chest 24/7 for 30 days, collecting data. It's kind of weird...a little blue flash of light indicates it's sending data to the handset (essentially a cell phone--not functioning as a phone--that I'm supposed to keep within 10 feet of my body). Occasionally I have to remove the patch to recharge batteries or change the cradle-patch (once it--and my skin!--start peeling off). After the 30 days is up, I mail the monitor and unused patches back to the device company. They analyse the data --no idea how long that takes--and send a report to my doctors, who eventually post it on the hospital's patient portal (like all test results) so I can see it myself. That has been quick with some tests, like the brain scans, but was slow with the echocardiogram (a week). If I don't understand the result or there's not enough comment, I can call for an explanation of what it all means. Or, I can write any questions through the portal and an MD will reply. I did that for the diagnosis confusion I had between TIA and stroke, and my questions about cause--they assume but can't prove I had a clot, and it was stroke (small one) not TIA, for example. Got a detailed, clear reply from a neurologist that was very helpful. So I'm glad I stopped resisting the online portal.

All will be well. I feel fine and I do think the Co-Enzyme Q10 is slowly increasing my energy levels. I'm frustrated about lack of fitness and am moderately overweight (a few pounds into that category) and my BMI is a bit above healthy. So THAT writing is on the wall too.

Speaking of meshing topics, so this will appear both here and there...I have concern about M's health too, as he's significantly overweight and in denial. He's truly obsessed with food. His cooking is also a joyful hobby but I think the degree of focus on it (fantasizing long before a restaurant visit, waxing lyrical over favorite foods in various places, talking about recipes a ton) is out of balance in his case. Once I overheard him telling a trainer, "I never had a belly before this scoliosis" and thought, oh sweetheart, scoliosis doesn't cause jowls....

He tends to dismiss facts about ingredients and portions.

love y'all,
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

Meh

Re: Health Updates
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 04:08:08 PM »
I hope the results go well hops. A couple people I know have had strokes they were both in their 30's and they seem to be doing just fine years after the fact. It's worrisome though not really knowing for sure what exactly is going on inside the body. Hopefully the heart to cell phone conversation gives a lot of good data to figure that out.

Not sure what to say about BF's food obsession, I sort of respect crazy foodie people's passion hehe. Crap even I have high cholesterol and I think I weigh 135ish.

If you get healthy cookbooks and do your best for yourself that's probably the most you can do right now.

sKePTiKal

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 09:09:31 AM »
Thanks for the thread Hops. It'll be easier to keep up with progress and changes when there's not a lot of time to read everything.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

Hopalong

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 05:27:49 PM »
Thanks, G, that's really encouraging. Appreciate it.

Amber, you too, thanks for caring.

And I meant to say...
ANYBODY's health updates or issues or related anythings are welcome on this thread!

xxxxxoooooo
Hops

lighter

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 06:21:55 PM »
I have chin hairs sprouting again!

I never thought I'd miss the little buggers, but I surely missed healthy testosterone levels. 

I feel better, on the whole, and keep up with vitamin D drops, and try to get 10 minutes of sun daily.

Lighter

Meh

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 07:01:10 PM »
@ Lighter   hehehehe    I took some progesterone cream but it messed up my period. It did make me feel real mellow and helped my skin. Hormone balance another one of life's projects.

lighter

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 02:48:34 PM »
G:

I have progesterone cream.  My mother used it when the menopause tried to kill her.  It really did a number on her.   I'm not at all sure the cream helped. 

Meh

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 09:45:55 PM »
HA!  @ Lighter  Those pesky hormones, it's all such a delicate balance. Synergistic even.

Hopalong

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 03:40:59 PM »
Peeled the flippin' monitor off yesterday and mailed it and its peripherals in for data. My skin's raw where it was but I'm getting in the pool like a person today!

Yay
Hops

lighter

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 07:29:57 PM »
Swim, Mermaid, Swim!

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 06:59:40 AM »
I hope your skin is healing up now, Hops, sounds very unpleasant - is it from the equipment rubbing or from having to stick it on?  Either way, I hope it's getting better now and that your results come back soon.

Food's a difficult one - if I'm honest, the only food I really enjoy eating is the stuff I know I shouldn't!  I do try to stick to a healthy diet but it's hard.  And I think for foodies not feeling the effects of the hobby is very difficult!  It is hard, particularly if it's your 'only' pleasure.  I expect some of your good habits will rub off on M, though :) xx xx

Hopalong

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 12:55:35 PM »
Thanks, Tupp.
Skin reacted to both the monitor's adhesive and also the liquid-vinyl coating stuff they sent to help insulate the skin from the adhesive and lower the reaction. The latter did improve but didn't eliminate the itching. (Couldn't do anything about that without disengaging an electrode.) Affected areas all healed up now.

I do have a new rash on my arms, I think from the pool. Heck with it, am swimming anyway.

My food issues are painfully obvious. If I'm anxious or depressed, bam. I'll eat pure junk sometimes. So glad I'm seeing my T today, as she can knit it all together.

Health wise I'm fine but still under-exercised. Since the stroke I get scared with every headache. I'm sure that will wear off though.

thanks for checking!

xxxoooo
Hops

Hopalong

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 11:27:47 PM »
Hi CB!

Nope, no HBP, mine's normal to low. I think it's a genetic thing, my mother had a stroke (serious one, late in life). Just a vulnerability I'm going to watch out for. I honestly think stress was part of it. Taking me a loooooooooong time to settle into retirement, and I found my new relationship quite stressful to build, although now we're in a wonderful place together.

No results from the cardiac monitor yet but I promise I'll share them here. Could take weeks for all I know.

Food stuff is just stupid. I actually think living with M will help me change that. I hope so. Meanwhile, we're feeling a whole lot of happiness, which is the opposite of stress!

Love,
Hops

Meh

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 01:12:35 AM »
Well fingers crossed on the results when they finally do come in.

lighter

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 01:47:06 AM »
Yay! So glad to read you're happy with M!  No stress is a good thing: )
That's wonderful news. 

I'm praying for good news from the monitor too.

Lighter