Author Topic: Mothering Again, con't.  (Read 20982 times)

lighter

Re: Mothering Again, con't.
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2014, 11:33:57 PM »
Well, Hops....

manning the battlements proactively is such a great idea.

I hope you patch things up with your walking mate, provided that relationship lifts you up.

Last I read an update for you on SAD, the lights were something you didn't feel safe about. 

Does regular sunshine give the same benefits, or better?

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2014, 04:45:17 PM »
Yup, walkmate and I patched up.

SAD lights make sense but I'm still wary because of not wanting cataracts, and the research on them is still short term. Regular sunshine definitely helps, particularly right after dawn, but it's not as potent.

Today I worked at home, which I interpret very loosely, so had a lovely 2 hours with pooch at a cafe downtown, and was way more productive on my laptop than I am in the office. (There, noise, phones, office cross talk and deliveries break my stride over and over...typical of the ADD brain.)

I have permission to do that 2xmonth and must schedule it regularly. I'm going to pitch to have one "WAH" day/week next year.

Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

Hopalong

« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2014, 12:42:21 PM »
[editing in an afterthought: I know this is sounding like such a huge and probably
stupid drama. But the little question I wind up with--the cell phone payment--just
keeps bothering me. Both because of the hurt of it being taken for granted while
she continues to be hostile--and because I'm genuinely torn because of also wishing
to keep on silently helping her, and yet because others point out it's a form of
enabling her to continue to be in partial denial about the seriousness of her
circumstances and how she needs to get some sort of ANY humble job in order
to take care of herself and stop conning and manipulating others to do it for her...
and because she's genuinely ill and therefore maybe I should subsidize her (small
as it is) even when she's cold and abusive...because she's ill. It's the mix of legitimate
handicap from illness PLUS my slow acceptance that she's also very manipulative and, in
a word--mean--that leave me in a state of deep confusion about what to do. She's 33.

I really, really will appreciate ADVICE and others' thoughts, truly. Don't know
which will fit or which I'd follow but if you are able to think it through a bit with me
I'd be extremely grateful. And do not worry if you have nothing to say or your thoughts
are brief...I have taken a very overlong and rambling narrative to ask what might be a
fairly simple question. It just seems complex to me. THANKS in advance...love-Hops]

Well, hell. Just want to sum up another moment of...something...about my D.
Her stepmom has been emailing with me and sharing brief bits of info about her
now and then (my D got hostile and nasty with her too, so she got tired of obeying
my D's "you may not speak to my mother either" rule and decided to share). I
am beyond grateful for that, as she's the only other person who knows D personally.
And she blew me away by writing that she "loves me like a sister" and is absolutely
NOT okay with how D has treated me. That has been a huge comfort. Though I
told her I urgently hope my D does stay in touch with her...long as stepmom
can handle it.

Anyway, her latest communication was that she thinks my D is worse, devolving,
can't even finish a thought on the phone before bounding to another etc. Very
bad ADD (not to mention the bipolar). And though I'd thought D was getting
SOME regular care, the "free samples meds" she was getting from a doctor
keep running out and she can't afford any. So that means she is NOT under
adequate care, which obviously makes everything worse.

Living wise, her situation is that she's living rent free in the basement of a kind
friend from college, a 400-pound computer guy, who likes her although there's
been conflict about her eating up his food. Sounds to me as though she's been
largely living off him. This month she's had a housesitting/babysitting job
which stepmom said my D was upbeat about. Or at least sounded that way
on FB. Stepmom also mentioned that a year ago my D had posted something
like, "I can't understand how people go through all the steps to getting a job
interview and getting a job, etc.". She is still unemployed. Has talked her
half-brother into paying half the Miami storage unit (their father's things
are part of what she stored) so stepmom said, "I guess she doesn't have
to earn more than $25 a month so I don't think she's very motivated." My
D has had (and may still have) food stamps.

Anyhow, that description of their phone call (4 months ago) with D clearly
not tracking, not being sound, wrung my heart. So I decided (foolishly) to
write her one more letter of amends (as Dr. Coleman recommends, as he
says it often takes more than one attempt). Although I know she doesn't
want to hear from me. In the past two years, I've texted her briefly 4-6
times, mailed 2 bday cards w/$100 bills in them. And mailed her two big
letters of heartfelt apology, amends, love and more love. All loathed and
rejected, so I shoulda known...

I texted her Thursday just, "Please read my email [letter] of this morning if you
are willing. Love, Mom". (She blocked my email years ago so I don't try,
but since she doesn't want anything mailed to her housemate's address,
I have no other way to mail to her. Her bills etc go to her stepmom's
address but she only gets that mail once or twice a year. Pays no bills.)

Got a text back that was EXACTLY the same tone she had two years ago.
And this time she was more specific than ever. "Do not contact me in any
way shape or form." (In my email-letter I'd said I'd continue to send bday
cards and a letter once or twice a year and text her when I was coming
through her town again unless she asked me not to). So she DID ask me
not to and couldn't have been more clear. I have no more rationalizations
for how I might wiggle around her total control of the absolute NC.

She did real the letter, which surprised me, because she referenced it:
"You are not 5 years old and can do whatever you want unless someone
tells you to stop." She also said I was selfish and invasive (last time I
texted her was to offer her no-strings $9,000 for her desperately needed
dental work, for which she was begging funds from strangers online).

I understand. At the same time, her stepmom has given me to think
that my D literally may be "living" on about $50/month. AND--like many
other late-bloomers, she's living in the after-rubble of a truly terrible
economy and jobs even for the perky and prepared aren't easy to get.
She wants to substitute teach and stepmom says she's trying to study
for that test. It is a TOUGH world for the young right now. Way rougher
than it was for me. So...finally I'm getting to my point.

I am absolutely clear without any further gray area or rationalization
that there are no exceptions to her rule, and that she means TOTAL NC.
And I intend to obey her. She texted "And don't answer this because
every time you do it adds more time before I will be willing to speak to
you." It's the tone I remember. Punitive, scathing, and all controlling.
(Even though I really DO understand NC and invasiveness and boundaries.
It's easy to in principle, but has been hard for me to go totally silent. I've
got it now, though. I'm not confused about bday cards or anything going
forward. She didn't leave any gray area, for the first time, this time. I
had thought since she'd a couple of times texted back...albeit with
name calling or more "orders" -- that she kind of saw texting as a
small crack of a door I might occasionally be okay to use. But now I
get it.)

The thing is, this time, though it was no different than hundreds of times
before when she's called me names and been hostile and contemptuous,
...I just thought, "I don't want to do this any more." I accept that shut door.

And the dilemma I have--this sounds so small and stupid--is that I want
to make a decision about whether I should continue to pay her cell phone.
She never mentions or acknowledges that I have been paying $80 a month
to keep her plan for about 3 years. She just takes it, uses it, and calls me
selfish. And I'm kind of wondering--am I feeding her delusion?

There are real Pros and Cons for each decision (to continue, and to stop).
So I would very much welcome your advice and thoughts. Small as it is,
it's the only issue left that I have to wrestle with. I have set up a trust
and my affairs are in order so she'll benefit safely (managed by the law
firm) after I'm gone. And I'm getting on with my life.

But there's this hangover piece. It hurts (I feel a little heartbreak every
month when I stand at the payment kiosk feeding in money for a phone
she'll never give me a call on). But it's also a lifeline for her.

And I'm thinking of cutting it off. My SW friend that in a way, paying it
in silence is feeding her delusion, because "The world doesn't work that
way. You don't get to be hostile and contemptuous of someone who is
helping you, without consequences. And you absorbing her contempt
long-term, helps her continue to pretend that she's not taking from you."

On the other hand. My D is mentally ill. And also showing bad character.
And has been abusive to me out of both illness and...bad character. So
I am torn about what to do.

I did notice that for the very first time, after this round of having-face-
spat-in, I felt okay (at least partly) about the idea of just not paying the
bill. Just stopping. I felt...liberated.

But I know part of that is also because of my hurt--a petty way to express
the hurt and anger. (My friend said the reality check of her discovering that
her phone wasn't paid would be good for her. But I see it as a shock. And
my hurt and anger are just emotions...and ... if the phone is a key survival tool ...
should I allow myself to express those emotions? Or just suck it up again?

And--I am trying to save for retirement and also to enjoy my present life.
It's not a huge amount of money and I would be fine, continuing. And maybe
it's a weird, unacknowledged that will one day say to her, my Mom cares
about me and has kept my phone on all this time...so maybe, it's time to call.

Do you see clear Pros and Cons to this dilemma of continuing to pay her
cell phone? It's not financially hurting me. But it does emotionally hurt, as
though I'm participating in my own devaluing. By allowing it to go on.

Thank you. Sorry it took SO long to get it all out. But the question just won't
go away.

love to all,
Hops
PS--Just to be sure I'm very clear about this: There is no medical/commitment/
legal/intervention staging kind of thing I can do. She has her meltdowns but
continues to function and scramble and somehow get by day to day--hence
the July job she's had. And she is an adult who is not in my control. So I'm
not looking for how-to-intercede-in-her-health-care advice, can't do that. Thanks.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 03:21:53 PM by Hopalong »

Gaining Strength

« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2014, 03:22:24 PM »
I see pros and cons.  I see dilemma all the way around.  That difficult but important thing is to do your best to not make a decision based on generating a specific outcome. In other words, try to see if each choice has a hope of "if I do this then maybe she will...."  Our secret desires often hide below radar.

Which ever choice you make Hops, you can't go wrong ------ AND you can't win.

Do you incapacitate her by paying her phone? Will you feel better if you do pay for it? If you don't? Are you rewarding her contempt by providing this service?  Should you do this relatively small favor out of love?  The questions could stretch out endlessly and the answers continue eluding the asker.

In the end, does providing her this service give you comfort or pleasure regardless of her contemptible response?  Do you do it out of hope that one day, some how she will turn around?  Which choice eases your heart, even a modicum?  Take that one Hops, the one that gives you some tiny sense of comfort.

ann3

« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2014, 03:25:15 PM »
Dear Hops,

I know you and I aren't on the best of terms, but thought I'd take a chance & respond.
I have someone like your D in my life. I believe the behavior you describe is Adult Oppositional Defiant Disorder (and that may be in addition to your D's other conditions).  I know how exasperating such people are.  It feels like no matter what you do, it's never the right choice.  I know how hurtful they can be.

Please keep in mind that she is an adult and you cannot sway her regarding treating her mental health or her life style choices.  So, it's best to give it over to a higher power and pray/hope for the best. 

Regarding the phone, maybe go for a quiet walk or sit quietly and think how you want to handle this.  If the $80 is too expensive, can you find a less expensive plan?  However, if D is on assistance she may qualify for a free phone, but she could change her phone number & not give you the new one.  Maybe think about what you could tolerate regarding paying or not paying for her phone.  Maybe speak to your D's stepmother and get her opinion. 

I have found that dealing with someone like this is really more about what I can tolerate and accept as opposed to trying to "fix" them.  We can't fix them and we need to accept that, so the question becomes how to move forward without driving ourselves crazy over them.

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2014, 05:23:07 PM »
Hi Hops,

Well firstly I'm glad your D's step-mum has made this contact and told you that she is in your corner - I know having someone else say they think the same as you is huge in situations like this so I'm really glad she's done that.

Personally, I don't think someone who is 'NC' should be receiving cash or cash substitutes from the person they no longer wish to have contact with.  Even without being NC, I don't think parents should support their adult children; there's something about it that I feel stops the person receiving the money from being a proper grown-up.  To me, being an adult is about managing your finances yourself, and not expecting other people to pay for things for you.  A bit old fashioned, I know, but my feeling is, if you can't pay then you do without.

Your D sounds like she is getting an awful lot of help from a lot of people - living rent free, eating someone else's food, having someone else pay her phone bill, someone paying half the rental on the storage unit.  That's a lot of other people's money she's raking in.  I cannot begin to imagine how much the situation you are in with her must hurt you and I can completely understand your worries about her health and how tough it would be for you to cut off that one last line of communication.  I guess it would signify that you are accepting she is no longer in your life and I can't imagine how terribly sad and painful that would be.

But.............it really pains me to read about her punishing you in this way, over and over again.  I know we don't know each other in 'real' life but honestly, you are such an open, honest and giving person that you don't deserve to be treated this way.  I know your D is unwell and I'm sure it does play a part in the way she behaves.  But equally I think in situations like this people do tend to do as much as they can get away with.  Your D sounds as if she has other people paying for everything she needs and she doesn't have to do anything in return - it's not even conditional on working, or getting regular medical care, or even being polite.  I think most of the people on this forum have experienced mental health problems of some form or another, and they're no excuse for rudeness.  If someone gives you something you either say thank you or decline the offer, in my opinion.

So - easy for me to say, I know - I would stop paying for the phone.  Perhaps you could donate some of the money to a mental health charity instead, so that you'd still be helping 'someone', it would just be someone who appreciates it.  I can't tell you how sorry I am that you are in this situation again, the pain must be unbearable and these contacts must be like ripping the wound open all over again.  But, ill or not, I think your D needs to enter the real world now and start paying for things herself, or doing without them.  And I think you deserve to be giving your money to someone who appreciates it - whether that's topping up your retirement fund, giving some to charity or even buying that pooch of yours a great big bone and a fancy dog collar - you work hard for it and you work so hard on yourself, you deserve to know that your kind actions are being appreciated and enjoyed.

Love Tupp xxx

lighter

« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2014, 08:35:39 PM »
Hi (((Hops)))

First, I'm so sorry this hurts so much.

It frightens me for you, and your D......

there are no good decisions, I'm afraid.  Only less terrible ones, but on the bright side, any new decisions you make could lead to something positive for your d, as well as negative.

The pro's of getting rid of the phone are.....
1.  You'd be respecting, completely, your d's very clear stated boundary.  All the sudden, POOF!...... for the first time, she'd get exactly what she asked from you.  Maybe she'd think to herself..... "Wow, that wasn't exactly what I expected to happen.  I guess maybe I pushed it a bit too far, and maybe I want my phone back on so I'll call her, and see if she'll do that for me."
2.  She might not have any other way to get on the internet, and she may decide that being poor AND cut off from her data services sucks so bad..... she asks you for help again, which of course you'd have the choice to engage in, and surround with boundaries of your own.  She might get so ticked off, that anger moves her into positive action, and she ends up improving her situation, which isn't all bad either.
3.  She might end up on her roomie's phone all the time, make more trouble for herself, and get evicted, leading to her breaking down, admitting she needs help, and asking someone for it, even if it's not you.
4.  She might use her roomies's phone, and complain about you so much her roomie sits her down, explains that it's not working, and that she's bitten the hand that feeds her, yours, and that she's overstepping his boundaries, and she'll have to go, or find solutions.  Solutions require getting a phone elsewhere, or money to provide one for herself.  He isn't her mother, and he's not obligated to provide food, housing AND data services for her when it impacts his life negatively, esp if she's her character flaws make it hard for her to show gratitude, and be humble under his roof.  At some point, cold hard reality might be necessary for d to see she can't get herself out of this uncomfortable place without help from someone, or some agency.  Maybe that's what it will take to get her to admit she can't go on this way.

The unintended consequences, or negative consequences might be that d spirals completely out of control, and harms herself, or ends up in a situation where she's harmed.
That's the big concern, isn't it?  That's the unbearable unintended consequence, and since she's ill it's just too hard to qualify the true weight of that decision without input from someone in contact with her IRL.  I wonder if sm speaks to the roomate?  What does the roomate feel would help? 

If the phone really is a life line, and something that keeps her in touch with the world, and functioning, and applying for jobs, then it would feel too terrible to take it away, even if it's just respecting the boundary she herself put in place, right?  I wish you could call her on the phone, and say

Hey, as painful as it is, I finally accept your NC boundary, and I'm going to honor it, starting at the end of next month with the phone service, unless sooner would be better.  If you want me to shut it down today, or next week I can do that too, you just need to let me know, and I'll honor it.  With that, I accept that any contact will start with you, not me, in the future.  I love you,  Goodbye.  ::click::

What happens if she has a completely break down?  What are the services in her area?  She'd likely end up in the emergency room, under observation, on an involuntary status.  The roomate might be the one to make that call.  In our State, attorneys volunteer to represent those folks, and help determine what the next move is when their hearing comes up in 10 or so days to determine whether they're released or stay longer.  Maybe 14 days, not sure, but there are caring professionals at the next stage working with them to get them services, housing, and care...... crisis management services in other words.  Not sure about Florida, but it would comfort me to know what the likely outcome of a breakdown would be, and to feel it might be the best chance for someone I love for growth, medical care, and services that would impact her life positively.

You know there's always another hand with me, so......

here d is, working toward gaining employment.  Would taking the phone derail that completely?  IS she working towards improving her life?  Is she just getting worse, with no real hope for getting better?  I'd be more likely to cut off the phone if I thought it would lead to things getting better, eventually, even if they get worse first. 

Either way, cutting off the phone would change something, and with addicts letting them hit rock bottom is often the kindest things we can do for them, bc that's when they can't deny or minimize any longer.  That's when they have to make the hard decisions, right?

I know your d isn't an addict, but she's in denial, and struggling with disordered thinking, and what does sound like ODD, and ADHD, on top of the bi polar.  Wow, that is scary to read, Hops.

Just doing nothing, and keeping the status quo seems to be the less threatening way to go, IMO.

But, if I'm looking down on the situation as if it's my own, and thinking about getting someone to the next difficult phase, that requires SOME CATALYST, unfortunately a negative one to get someone's attention, or some agency's attention, then I'm going to really consider withdrawing any enabling behaviors, out of love.    This is what your friend is telling you, and I completely GET that, but.....

Since your child is ill, it's not so easy a call. 

That brings me to staying in touch with the sm, as suggested in earlier posts. 

My first thought was to send her the 80.00 a month, and tell her she's welcome to get another phone service set up, if she thinks it's the best idea, and would lead to a job, and maybe getting job training, but if there isn't going to be a better job, or training... maybe not. 

And IS keeping the phone service another thing you do that ticks your d off? She asked you to STOP, and yet there you are, providing that darned phone, and she's too weak to cut it off herself, and so she's conflicted, and angry and it doesn't help anything if she's getting worse, not better, through the unwanted, and unasked for gesture, right? 

Secretly, I believe the best possible outcome would be if your dd realizes she's miserable, broke, hungry, and SO uncomfortable, she HAS to make a change, and goes about doing that in what will likely be messy, scary, uneven, two steps forward, a stagger back, but maybe that's the best chance she has at seeing what adult responsiblity really and truly is.  How out of her depths she is, and how much help she needs to truly get on track, and in a place of comfort, and independence.  She seems to want to be those things, but she hasn't actually taken stock of the actual moving parts involved.....

adequate health care;

training for employment;

taking responsibility, and resisting blaming others;

receiving continued health care that makes it possible to get, and keep a job.

She says she wants those things, but she;s not really doing what she needs to do in order to achieve those things. 

You want them for her desperately.

She seems to be spending a lot of time on line, distracting herself, keeping herself from focusing on the hard decisions, IMO.  IS the phone service you provide her link to the internet?  Does she have a computer, in her basement, on wifi?  What would the impact of losing her phone service truly be? 

She said to stop contacting her, but she didn't say she wanted you to cut off the phone service if I remember correctly.  It just slips by, without comment.  IMO, her latest request includes cutting off the phone, and that's just respecting a boundary she put in place, but since she's harmed you, and continues to harm you, I don't know if a small part of that is me wanting her to feel a little discomfort.... a little unintended consequence of her actions, kwim?  She may not have intended for you to treat her like an adult, after this last contact, but that's exactly what she asked you to do.  Respect her by completely withdrawing all contact, help, and expectation.  Well, would it help for her to live with the consequences of her request?  Completely?  For once?

You don't want to cut off that phone, in case it's the final straw that breaks her sanity, but I think it's not likely that her sanity hinges on that one one thing.  It's a combination of things, and IMO she;s as likely to find positive change as she is negative if you cancel phone service. 

If I thought it was the one thing keeping her alive, I'd certainly not cancel it, Hops.  No one can know.  You can ask the roomate, perhaps, and the sm, but you can't actually know, and that makes a decision difficult.

I wonder if you could filter services, and help through the sm in any way?

If you could make a request..... help d, in any way you think best, here's X amount of dollars, don't tell me about your plans, but use it if you think it will get her help/training/mental health care/dental work, etc,. and move her into a better space if it's possible.

That's a lot of rambling, but I hope it helps, (((((Hops))))).

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2014, 10:32:37 PM »
Thank you so so very much, GS, Tupp, Ann, and Lighter.
Boy, do I feel HEARD.
It just helps so much the way you really do see all the sides. In different ways, but so acutely well.

It's like I've been wandering around holding a pretzel, and asking people to help me figure out which is the top side.

There IS no top side; it's a pretzel.

Whew.

As to all those pragmatic questions, Lighter...I can't manage anything through the stepmom (they are not in contact often enough and the stepmom isn't managing her either...and will not try advising or suggesting things, as she gets her head bitten off when she does). I've never met nor been introduced to the housemate (don't know whether stepmom ever has met him either). Don't think the stepmom talks to him about her. I can't (and wouldn't) have concrete chats about plans/ideas/moves for my D with either of them. I'm really not going to try to fix (or ruin) her life situation.  I am completely NOT in charge, even remotely. And much as I wish there were a proxy there who could parent her (she lives in NC, though her storage is in FL), there isn't.

I am very VERY grateful for all of these thoughts. They help. Because you've all added a bounty-load of points both Pro and Con. I will write them up before my T appointment, and ask him to help me process the list, to see if I get tipped in one direction.

I hope so. I'd like it to go away (not the payment, but the hurt I feel about it--and the fear it's damaging her if I keep paying it or if I stop).

love
Hops
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 10:47:50 PM by Hopalong »

lighter

« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2014, 10:12:28 PM »
Hops:

What I know about involuntary observation, from a NC attorney, and crisis intervention worker in NC, is very positive.  At least in the area I'm familiar with.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2021, 11:18:17 AM »
I've been in (grateful) tears about this entire thread this morning for a bit.
If y'all had ANY IDEA how life-and-sanity-saving your help was, especially in that pivotal disastrous year of 2014....this thread has got it all.

This was triggered by an unexpected email from D's (2nd) stepmom today, explaining that D's *half-brother had visited D. She's about the same but back living in the basement of the 400-pound computer-geek friend with whom she'd lived for some time until he got pissed about her eating his food and tossed her out. I have no idea about anything since so do not know where/how she's lived in the interim. This update suggests D's desperation but that's been chronic. As ever, I have ZERO way of answering new questions about her situation and am not going to try to find out. I explained to kind SM that I don't want to be given the address indirectly because any contact between D and me has to be initiated by D, but I'm very glad someone knows it.

(*Half-brother's mother, D's father's wife after me, died in hospice near D when she was in Miami--and this half-brother is close to D's father's widow, the 3rd-wife and stepmom I'm referring to now who had no kids--v. convuluted I know! She adored him and they remained close after his mother's death. D adored him too; he's a lot like his dad.)

Anyway, it wasn't new-news except to learn that he visited her, for which I'm very grateful. What that means is if I'm terminally ill (or suddenly gone) one day, there's some contact who could contact her. She'd need to know eventually.

Her Addison's disease is worse and she's down to one half of one adrenal gland, and dependent for life on steroids, which have caused her to gain 70 pounds. I can imagine how miserable she is. No knowledge of the current state of her bipolar, employment, health insurance, any government benefits other than food stamps, other health, etc. But I know to be back in his basement wouldn't be a step forward or up for her. I can imagine her despair and self loathing. It does make me v. sad.

So that triggered me to review all this (again). I'm okay. It still is what it still is. I even found I'd written in this thread the exact wording of her final message to me in February of 2012. That's when I accepted her final NC boundary.

Whew, whew. Still glad stepmom sent me the update. It was caring.

As to YOUR caring, alla y'all? Indescribable. I am still so profoundly grateful.

hugs
Hops

PS One thing I noticed in this thread, or maybe it was another one, is that folks thought for a while that her bipolar was self-diagnosed. It wasn't. She was seeing a psychologist and a psychiatrist at 19 and one (or both) of them diagnosed her. It has always been real. I just didn't learn about it until she told me (and I witnessed it) much later.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 11:32:54 AM by Hopalong »

Phyll

« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2021, 12:52:10 AM »
Dear Hops,
I am so sorry to hear about your daughter's illness/unmanageability and your fears/anxieties in coping with it.  I can only imagine what you are going through. I don't think throwing money at her situation is going to help you or her at this point.  You have received many helpful suggestions and support.  The only other thing I can think of is a referral to the county agency's adult protective services to do a welfare check/offer services.
Phyll

Hopalong

« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2021, 08:58:44 AM »
Thanks, Phyl.
My daughter is completely estranged, thus accepts no help or advice from me. As much as it broke me, after a lot of therapy and years of anguish vented here, a few years back I released her to her own consequences. What you missed is that she hasn't spoken to me once in 10 years and will not unless she changes her mind. I don't hope for it any more because I finally recognized that hoping was self-torture. She's 41, and though it's debatable, competent to make her own decisions. I have no power to compel anything that would change her situation. The only crumbs of info I hear every now and then, and rarely, are second or third hand. Yesterday's news was so incomplete it just fed my old fear. And then I just...stopped.

I have basically released her to the universe and accept that she is no longer in my life. As anyone here could tell you, that took years of agony and screaming anguish. But I did get there. To start a new campaign of trying to reach or rescue her would be near-suicide for me and backfire in every way imaginable. I still might get the worst news a parent could hear one day. I have accepted that it's possible.

Nothing I heard just now through her stepmom tells me APS would deem her living in a basement space an emergency, but it was very minimal info. My sense is of the grinding misery of her chronic mental and physical illnesses plus pain issues plus poverty. I personally think that's a terrible emergency but this country lets many people languish this way. The only brighter spot is that she has shelter with someone she knows, who used to and perhaps still does like her some. I also recall that his parents liked my D -- stepmom told me that too, years back. D is (or was) very charming and they were grateful to have someone living with their son, who has his own serious issues. (I only know he's morbidly obese and I think he never goes out. He likely has other health problems, I'd think.) I have to hope that if she were failing completely to manage, somebody there would alert somebody. I can't be certain but it sounds as though he's her only security now.

I'll be seeing the stepmom Monday and will think about asking her to ask D's half-bro whether he thinks it's an emergency situation right now. IOW, if D is functional or did he view grave deterioration. Or perhaps ask her to convey that if he ever feels D is in a true emergency, he should let me know. So far, though he's aware of D's circumstances, he's never reached out though I'm sure he knows I'd be glad to hear from him. There's a chance he'd tell D that I had conveyed that message to him via stepmom, and I know what D'd think of my "interference" -- it'd lock the iron door between us even tighter. I think he's obeying D's dictates or may be indifferent. He's never shown caring for her that I've seen, so I was surprised he saw her as he never has visited before to my knowledge. She may have asked him for help; he may think about her with more compassion now that he's older, he may have been just passing through the area. No idea.

My situation with her is full-release. I will always love her but you can't help a free adult who rejects it. If I sicced APS on her she'd hate me more (I did prompt a welfare check once after a bank called to tell me her cell phone was found on the ground by the ATM -- she'd been on the phone with me -- normal talk -- and the conversation suddenly cut. When I got the bank's call an hour later I feared she might've been robbed or worse, so called her local police to check. She was enraged with me for that, because she felt humilated when they showed up along with a woman I knew from the local church (I'd asked her to since police said they'd check but not at emergency speed). But she hadn't been mentally organized enough to figure that after vanishing mid-sentence she should've called me on another phone just to say "I'm okay." Or resented the idea she should.

Anyway, I won't/can't re-enter the whole drama now. It just re-emerged yesterday because of the stepmother's unexpected email. I almost felt like asking her NOT to bring me skimpy-scary news of my D, because it makes me start worrying and grieving all over again. But I also don't want to cut off my only potential source of emergency info, should something worse happen. I fear such a call may come.

Sorry I can't catch you up completely. It's been a long slog and this board held my chin above the water more times than I can count. I ultimately made the terrible decision to stop trying. It was terrible but necessary, I believe. I have done a massive amount of healing. I'd give anything if she could. As of now, all I can do is do everything possible to avoid giving up my house, which is in trust for her.

I'll be glad to see stepmom, we're not in touch often, but appreciated her reaching out. But the truth is I don't want to talk much about my D with her. She knows there's nothing really new there, was just letting me know about the brother's visit and that D's back living in her friend's house (I don't know the address but it's good that her brother does). I'm no longer trying to wedge my way into her life. If she ever wants to do counseling with the goal of an adult reconciliation with me I would leap at the chance, drive any distance, pay for it all, etc. I've begged her for that before and was refused. So now, to use a horrible phrase: it is what it is.

Everything Sea wrote was so profoundly perceptive that in many ways her description of where I was is much clearer than my own. (Sea if you're out there, those two posts of yours put a spark to my healing. I never knew how to adequately describe their impact, but thank you again, my friend.)

Thanks for your interest, Phyl, and the kind suggestion. Maybe one day it'll be a right move to make.

hugs
Hops

Phyll

« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2021, 10:24:23 AM »
Hops,

It is a sad, yet healthy realization to know you are powerless.  I wish you continued strength in your loving detachment. Thanks for bringing me up to date. 

lighter

« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2021, 12:19:53 PM »
((Hops))

I'm glad your DD's stepb visits her.  I'm glad her sm reaches out to you.  That it brings comfort, even cold comfort seems positive.

I know this.....I think of you and your DD often...would heal the distance if I had the power.

Walking with you....

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2021, 01:14:23 PM »
Thanks, ((Lighter.))

I'm breathing better and will probably release the latest fully after SM's visit Monday.  Almost wish I hadn't invited her (not her fault) but will just try to make it mellow.

Glad I'm heading to the beach soon. It'll help too.

hugs,
Hops