Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 73857 times)

Twoapenny

• Becoming
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2020, 05:14:10 PM »
PM has just announced the UK is on lockdown.  All non-essential businesses to shut down with immediate effect, no more than two people together at a time and trips out only for food, medicine and other essential supplies.  One outing for exercise a day permitted.  One and a half million people are considered high risk and have been told to stay indoors and self quarantine, with the army delivering food parcels.  Over 70s advised to self isolate for twelve weeks along with others in higher risk groups, which includes son.  Every system is in meltdown; they've essentially promised benefit payments to millions of additional people when they're already short staffed for the existing claimants so no-one can get through on the claim line and online enquiries are going unanswered.  The NHS doesn't have enough nurses, beds, ventilators or protective clothing to keep the staff safe.  One hospital has already had to turn people away and another was asking on Twitter for soap because they'd run out.  Both the Army and the police have been massively cut and underfunded over the last decade.  There is no way there are enough of them to enforce a lockdown.  Fines and arrests are possible; someone has already circulated a photo of a very handsome police officer saying "I hope I get arrested by him " :)  Lol.

There are terrible problems with food shortages; the government have known about this for nine weeks and have been able to see other countries get it wrong so could have prepared.  But many of our government officials are essentially in post because of the families they were born in to and the people they know and they don't have the necessary skills.  Nurses are posting videos of themselves stopping to buy food after 48 hours of back to back shifts and there's nothing for them to buy.  Our regular supermarket have set up a priority scheme for disabled people and registered us on it, which is great, but demand is so high I couldn't get my order through and they only reserve the delivery slot for a specific time so I've lost my place.  The corner shop has very little in.  I will go out to the supermarket first thing to see what I can get.  The farm shop will take online orders to be collected so I could email them and then go to collect in the evening; I can load up son's wheelchair.  Lots of people are volunteering to collect shopping for people but there's no food for them to get.  People have been fighting over toilet rolls.  New mums have been unable to get milk for their babies.  It's an absolute shambles.  I have enough for at least a couple of days anyway, and one can of Guinness in the fridge which I think I will need tonight! xx

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2020, 05:30:24 PM »
Oh and I forgot to mention, they released information today for doctors to decide which patients get the ventilators if there aren't enough to go round and son doesn't make the grade.  They've categorised people according to what they can do for themselves, the category that son falls into are likely to be given palliative care, no attempt to save life.

Hopalong

« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2020, 06:34:13 PM »
Tupp, I'm so sorry. What a shambles.

I hope you will order as much as you can even if you can't pick it up for a week.

It is a SHAME you have this feeling of siege. But if shops are going to empty of products there must be some other way for you to get food in. Don't give up!

Keep trying, keep ordering, I'm sure you'll take ANY delivery or pickup time window on offer. Even if you have to place a new order every single day until one goes through. Hitting refresh like a zombie.

I feel worried about you running out, but I hope this worry is overblown. Rice and beans. I ordered too many cans of tuna and wish I could send you some!

Big comfort and hugs,
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

lighter

« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2020, 09:20:52 PM »
Tupp it seems your stores aren't limiting purchases...which is just nuts, IME. 

Maybe this will clear up when they finally DO that to limit panic buying. 

Everyone gets something if they set limits..... shelves are getting stocked.. it looks like. 

Ask your neighbors for help.  Perhaps some of them are hoarding and won't mind sharing with you.

Lighter

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2020, 03:24:49 AM »
Thanks, guys, all good ideas but the infrastructures aren't coping with demand and that's the main problem.  They are limiting purchases and have been for the last week, but it's still selling faster than they can get it in.  They've set up designated times for elderly, disabled, carers, key workers and so on, but that doesn't guarantee there's food there to buy, if I go at those times (which are several hours after earliest opening at our local store) I might not be able to get anything anyway.  If I go to different shops I have to take son with me, because of the distance, and that puts him at more risk.  The visa system is overwhelmed at the moment so I can't verify my purchases to get the order through.  Websites are freezing and crashing because so many are trying to get online at once.  The phone network is overwhelmed so I couldn't get through on the phone last night to try to pay over the phone, you get a message saying the network is busy and to try again later.  The lines aren't open yet today.  My benefit payment is currently frozen because I've not been able to get through to update my earnings this month, for the same reason - they're so swamped that the phone companies just put out busy messages and the online system crashed as well.

I did get most of what we needed this morning but they're out of even baking basics - no butter, no flour, no yeast.  I've got enough for now but it's very sobering.  The staff are all working so hard, and they're at risk - it's impossible to practise social distancing in shops because the aisles aren't even wide enough for people to pass each other without getting closer.  The staff are working in that all day.  I thanked one lady personally and after I'd done that one of the staff gave me a plant.  I don't know if they were giving them out to everyone or if it was because I thanked that lady but I bought them a tin of biscuits for the staff room as well and gave them to another lady on the way out.

The main difficulty is son; his autism means his diet is very restricted because of oral sensitivities so there are lots of things that he physically can't eat.  He can't get them down without gagging and being sick.  That's my main worry, is getting in enough for him, keeping in mind he is full grown man size and eats portions accordingly.  Neighbours and local volunteer groups are all doing what they can but they can only get in what's available.  It's just so shocking to me that they knew about this in January and we're now almost end of March and they still haven't sorted their shit out.

And the DNR orders on people who aren't considered worth saving just rips part of my soul away every time I think about it.  In practise, it means they would save a violent, aggressive person who harms those around them over my lovely, sweet boy because the horrible person is fit and healthy and my son isn't.  We've already had a decade of savage cuts for sick and disabled people and yesterday they were tabling a bill to relieve local authorities of their duty of care for sick and disabled people - which means support can be withdrawn in all but the most severe cases and there will no longer be any legal duty to make adequate provision in schools or colleges.  They're all just disposable and the lack of care about their quality of life just tears me apart.

Anyway - I have got some stuff in which is the main thing for now.  I will be spending the day planning, prepping, making lists, trying orders, doing what I can.  If I can't get something there is a local group I can post on to see if anyone else can help.  I did have enough stuff yesterday to make flapjacks, which I love :)  And the most bizarre thing, when I walked over to the shop this morning I swear the air feels cleaner.  Just when you breathe it in, you can kind of taste that it's fresher?  It's making me feel like our next move might be somewhere more rural.  Something to think about xx

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2020, 07:55:54 AM »
I got a food order through.  Thank goodness.  No idea how much of it will arrive, but I at least have enough for the next couple of days and I can re-jig everything once I know what's in tomorrow.  Has taken the pressure off a bit.

Hopalong

« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2020, 10:28:43 AM »
WHEW.
I am so glad to hear it, Tupp.

As to the politics and news, I'm with you in
taking full breaks from it all. You just can't
absorb the feelings of injustice along with the
actual biological realities of protecting yourself.

It's too much.

So I am so so so glad you have food adequate for a while.
It has to be hard on you and son.

I hope you can continue to place food orders as often
as you can until the cupboards are full. Dehydrating
veggies and fruits in the cooker at low heat is one good
way to put things by.....

You are a pioneer woman, that you are.

hugs
Hops

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2020, 11:26:33 AM »
WHEW.
I am so glad to hear it, Tupp.

As to the politics and news, I'm with you in
taking full breaks from it all. You just can't
absorb the feelings of injustice along with the
actual biological realities of protecting yourself.

It's too much.

So I am so so so glad you have food adequate for a while.
It has to be hard on you and son.

I hope you can continue to place food orders as often
as you can until the cupboards are full. Dehydrating
veggies and fruits in the cooker at low heat is one good
way to put things by.....

You are a pioneer woman, that you are.

hugs
Hops

Lol, I felt like a flaky pastry woman earlier, Hops, I think everything caught up with me a bit.  So much happening but much of it soooo inadequate and all happening too late.  But - nothing I can do about that on a personal level.  I think as well it was lack of food - I didn't eat much yesterday as I was worried about not being able to get anything today so I'd saved it for son.  That doesn't help, plus I'm due on, plus was up at 5 again for another early morning shop run so I think it all caught up with me.  But - we have food in now and more coming tomorrow.  I've got a list of all the local places that are either delivering or will box things up for people to collect so I should be able to sort things out a bit more easily now.  I think part of the problem is that everyone is suddenly having to deal with a very big changes to routine and it is hard, you get your own little groove going and suddenly the wheels don't fit any more and you have to create a new path.  But I feel more settled now, just knowing there's enough in for him is good.  I'm very, very glad now I ordered in vitamins and herbal stuff before all this happened.  I've had a bath, I'm going to sort myself something to eat and watch a film - feet up and relax this afternoon.  Son is very happy upstairs writing his novel and was very excited that he received a text message from the government urging him to stay inside :)  Lol.

One thing I am struggling with is an overwhelming urge to contact everyone to check they're okay.  All the people I've not spoken to for years - my mum, my estranged sisters, nieces and nephews, old friends I haven't heard from in years, current friends I've not heard from in a long time.  I'm resisting - none of them have contacted me for years now and haven't reached out during this crisis and I know if I get back in touch I will only set myself up to get hurt again.  So I'm resisting but I am struggling with it.  It just sort of goes against my nature and that makes me feel uncomfortable xx

Hopalong

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2020, 12:14:05 PM »
I do understand....your nature is loving!

But I also understand that you might add pain to the situation if it brings back those old feelings of non-reciprocity. Those friends would also have similar opportunities right now to be thinking about checking on YOU. And if they don't, then maybe "past friends" is a better term. Re-experiencing hurt you've already processed won't help.

I hope there's a few nice people where you live now, anyone you've got a number for, that you might call and say, "I'm just calling to hear a friendly voice. I don't have a lot of local contacts since I'm at home so much. How are all this going for you?". Then you could have a positive social conversation, however brief, and feel as though even though more isolated than many, you ARE still a human part of this human community you are in at the present. Someone you call might be so pleased to just be able to vent what they're dealing with in the moment. (Don't forget you don't need to give advice or fix it. Just a nice listen, with some "Wow, that is really tough" kinds of responses.)

I think just sharing moments, checking in, even without a lot of practicality to the conversation, is really valuable for people right now.

GLAD you're feeling better than yesterday and relaxing a bit now, Tupp. And your son is so cute. Whoopee! A text from the government!

He's adorable. And writing a novel...what a fantastic person.

hugs
Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2020, 01:36:39 PM »
The stress finally broke me today. Bawled my eyes out.

It's over; moving on now.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

lighter

« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2020, 04:07:14 PM »

I'm so relieved you got food in, Tupp.  So scary, and difficult and heartbreaking with the triage information going out..... must keep ds safe.  I picture a different world than the one where a violent predator is saved over sweet lovely boys with disabilities.

Make sure you have a splash shield on, and ds too, when you go out.  You can make them out of those plastic page protectors taped to glasses.  Masks with many layers..... vids have lots of ideas.  Some as easy as taping paper towels together.   I have stuff OUT to make these things, just not put together yet.  I feel as though I'm stuck in mud.

On the internet, I saw an Asian man with a comforter bag over him and a baby in a chest carrier.  Honestly, the idea of making crazy protective gear, that brings a smile to someone's face, makes me feel better.   DD17 said she'll paint something funny on whatever splach guard I end up using and I'm cool with that.

::patting Amber's back::.  It goes in and out of focus, I know. Just giving in to the tears helps, IME. 

We have a 5 way chat with Ohio cousins going on.  One of cousin's dd's was assaulted by her exbf and cousin seeking a protective order.  Lots of terrifying things going on with everything else and honestly... I think this stress is breaking people who might have been holding it together otherwise. 

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2020, 04:37:34 PM »
I'm so glad the dam broke, (((((((((((((((Amber)))))))))))))).

What a relief.

NO soldier, even an Amazon warrior woman, keeps it up 24/7.

Good for you for letting it out.

Cry on me any time.

Huge hug,
Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2020, 05:42:29 PM »
Thanks guys.

John was here then. He knows what I went thru. Buck was here and has been holding me for days - even if it's just over the phone. It had to break, crest... move on. We're taking turns here.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2020, 02:54:02 AM »

I'm so relieved you got food in, Tupp.  So scary, and difficult and heartbreaking with the triage information going out..... must keep ds safe.  I picture a different world than the one where a violent predator is saved over sweet lovely boys with disabilities.

Make sure you have a splash shield on, and ds too, when you go out.  You can make them out of those plastic page protectors taped to glasses.  Masks with many layers..... vids have lots of ideas.  Some as easy as taping paper towels together.   I have stuff OUT to make these things, just not put together yet.  I feel as though I'm stuck in mud.

On the internet, I saw an Asian man with a comforter bag over him and a baby in a chest carrier.  Honestly, the idea of making crazy protective gear, that brings a smile to someone's face, makes me feel better.   DD17 said she'll paint something funny on whatever splach guard I end up using and I'm cool with that.

::patting Amber's back::.  It goes in and out of focus, I know. Just giving in to the tears helps, IME. 

We have a 5 way chat with Ohio cousins going on.  One of cousin's dd's was assaulted by her exbf and cousin seeking a protective order.  Lots of terrifying things going on with everything else and honestly... I think this stress is breaking people who might have been holding it together otherwise. 

Lighter

Thanks, Lighter, do be careful, none of those home made masks will stop infection, they're great for lightening the situation a bit but they won't stop anyone getting the virus.  There was a good link on one of the other forums, I'll see if I can find it later and send it to you.

I hope your cousin gets the order through, how odd that you've been concerned about yours ending and now she needs to get one.  I do think sometimes we get a sense of what other people are feeling if we're close to them.  It's a very odd thing.  I hope that gets sorted out for her quickly.

The stress is going to get to people and fast.  Some will respond positively by trying to help and be supportive to others and some will get violent and aggressive.  I feel so angry that all the world leaders knew this was coming and they've all sat on their arses and done nothing.  So many lives could have been saved just by ending all non-essential travel for a while.  I am staying inside! xx

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2020, 03:12:17 AM »
A big cyber hug for you, Skep ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Skep))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) xx xx xx