Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 7801 times)

Hopalong

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #360 on: October 07, 2020, 01:57:54 PM »
This may be bonkers too, but I'm not concerned about testing.
If I ran a fever for days and especially felt short of breath, I'd assume it's Covid-19, and my ticket would be punched (by me) pretty soon thereafter.

I have read so many accounts of the long-term damage and the PTSD and what ventilation is like, etc., that I'd just as soon skip the hospital part.

Also, it seems clear that people are relying way way too much on testing as though it actually offers anything protective. It does for those around you if you're not self-isolating, but it is after the horse left the barn. Also, from reading for hours about DJT and the White House...they were using a less reliable test, and according to experts, negative tests do NOT mean Oh goody, in the clear. They just mean that this time, this test...didn't detect it. You could still be contagious, asymptomatic. There's a particular timeline for when enough virus blooms in your system to register on a test, and some of the tests are better than others.

Same with masks. They lower the risk, absolutely, and a lot. But it's not 100% because so many wear masks with gaps around the edges where virus-laden breath can escape anyway.

I think people just latch on to the magic fairy safety tools, and forget that the ONE sure way not to get it (if you have this luxury) is to stay home. Period.

Americans especially just don't know how to endure it. Socializing is a huge drive for me (hence my pricey fire pit) but with all the reading....I know complete lockdown would be the safest.

Then again, I'm a coward, and I really don't want to go this way or make anybody else go this way if I can help it.

The current DC saga about infection, risk and especially consideration for others, as though we're actually all in this together...is overwhelming. Hope I make it to the election without a nervous breakdown. Already voted, curbside, easy as pie, and wish everyone who possibly can would vote right now.

hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

Twoapenny

« Reply #361 on: October 07, 2020, 02:51:41 PM »
Aw, Hops, well hopefully it won't come to that as you're taking so many precautions.  Our risk is pretty low due to not going out much and not being around people when we do (booked cinema tickets for Friday; you can see which seats have already sold when you book your tickets and it's completely empty again).  It's all just such a shambles.  I was watching one of the comedians here do a spoof sketch mimicking Johnson doing one of his 'announcements' and the comedy version actually made more sense than the real announcement. 

Hopalong

« Reply #362 on: October 07, 2020, 03:14:50 PM »
Here's my current favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tZVnbDq9B4

enjoy!
(I can imagine the Boris thing...oh my Lawd.)

Not freaked out really, just recognizing how deeply serious it is and accepting how differently people respond....all beyond our control.

So glad you and son are among the rational!

hugs
Hops

Twoapenny

« Reply #363 on: October 08, 2020, 03:51:08 AM »
Eeew Hopsie, I watched it, the belligerence and arrogance just make me cringe, that lady's lovely voice seems to pure to be alongside it!  Lol.

Much is beyond our control but oddly I am feeling more in control of my life than I do usually.  I'm still quite overwhelmed at how much easier things are for us if we don't go out too much and don't arrange too much to do (either at home or elsewhere).  I'm starting to realise how much of my rushing around has been based around accepting other people's invitations in the past - their need for company and/or something to do rather than my own.  I've people wanting to meet for coffee next week - I don't really fancy it?  I'm enjoying being home.  I have started going for a long walk first thing - the lockdown weight has really piled on and I need to do something about it.  But other than that our weekly excursion for a film and new books is plenty just now.  I would like it all to be over, though.  I think the waiting for what happens next is difficult for everyone xx

Twoapenny

« Reply #364 on: October 09, 2020, 05:36:34 AM »
Cases are increasing by over 100 a day where we are at the moment, assuming these are actually being accurately counted this time.  We're still a lot lower than other parts of the country which is a blessing but given that they're only testing people with symptoms I guess we can assume there are plenty wandering around who don't know they have it because they're asymptomatic?  We're doing very little anyway so we still fall into the 'pretty safe' bracket from my point of view but it's still definitely something I'll be keeping a close eye on and if we go from green to amber (which is how they're colouring the maps at the moment to show the numbers of cases - green very low, amber in the middle, red very high) I think we'll be doing our own lockdown again - which looking at the terrible weather forecast wouldn't be a bad thing anyway!  The good news is that we haven't had a Covid death in our area for about a month now which at least means the people catching it aren't dying but it's still a pretty worrying time xx

lighter

« Reply #365 on: October 09, 2020, 10:00:47 AM »
I think the medical treatments are improving Covid outcomes....I saw early treatment with blood thinners was helping a lot, Tupp.

I'm glad C19deaths seems to have halted, for now, in your area.

Lighter

Twoapenny

« Reply #366 on: October 10, 2020, 10:15:47 AM »
I think the medical treatments are improving Covid outcomes....I saw early treatment with blood thinners was helping a lot, Tupp.

I'm glad C19deaths seems to have halted, for now, in your area.

Lighter

I've read various things, Lighter, they apparently have a few things now they can try to halt it in its tracks and apparently there is a thought that the mask wearing and social distancing is keeping the viral load down so people just aren't getting as strong a dose of it.  But ............ it's looking pretty bleak in some ways here.  Businesses are going under and financial support is being withdrawn and/or if granted, isn't adequate to keep people going.  Doctors on Twitter are describing wards filling up and more and more people being admitted with medical staff having to work 18 hour shifts to cover everything.  People in some care homes have apparently not seen anyone they know for seven months now, horrifying effect on mental health for some of them.  I'm literally only skimming through main points just to make sure there's nothing there I need to do anything about but even so, it's not pretty reading.  I think I'm just going to stock up on good books to get myself lost in and spend the next six months in a fantasy world as much as possible :) xx

lighter

« Reply #367 on: October 10, 2020, 10:28:33 AM »
Yup yup yup.  Books and working with son, sans the hustle and bustle if schedules and commitments. 

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #368 on: October 10, 2020, 11:14:52 AM »
YES to six months in a fantasy world!
I think that's absolutely the sanest approach right now.

Neither testing nor treatments are adequate for dropping one's guard, imo.

It's really stunning how much denial still flourishes...it's a different sort of virus but equally contagious, it appears.

hugs
Hops

Twoapenny

« Reply #369 on: October 10, 2020, 11:48:31 AM »
Nodding to both :)  Yep, I was talking to my sister this morning and saying to her that, bizarrely, we are in poll position for once.  We're both used to staying home because of son's health problems, I haven't had a social life or work outside the house for years so that's normal, we've no family that we're close to or partner who's out all day and might be bringing germs in with him (or just butting heads with due to lack of social life etc) so all the things that are usually negatives are actually going to be the thing that gets us through this relatively unscathed, I think.  I'm just ordering some new books now; usually I borrow from the library rather than spending money but you can't browse in the library at the moment (no touching and putting back) so I think buying two or three new books a month is going to be a sound mental health investment over the next few months (bit like your fire pit, Hopsie!  I might get around to buying something I can set fire to in the garden at some point as well :) ).

Son's just been for a haircut; a friend of one of our neighbour's has set up a little salon in her garage so that people who don't want to sit with lots of others can go to her there.  Really good idea, she's very careful with all precautions, there's a little side entrance to it and she's quick as well so son got a good trim and tidy up and I sat over by the door, all masked up and she's got it well ventilated as well, plus temp checks.  Great idea for her and we were talking about how some people have been very innovative with all of this and quickly found another way to get things done.  Walking distance from the house as well so we've got our bit of exercise in for the day and got home just as it started to rain again.  I feel like we've got our necessities covered as safely as we can and then yes, books, good box sets and a bit of re-shuffling once the money's sorted out and I can spend a bit and get creative.

Hopalong

« Reply #370 on: October 10, 2020, 12:10:35 PM »
Sounds lovely, Tupp!

I buy about a book a year on average, just wedded to the library. And if I look up a few reviews first I don't have to touch and put back.

Books have gotten so expensive I just bounced them off my frugality list, alas. I should check out more e-books, but the whole point is to get off screens (I fail).

Bet your son feels better after he's been all spruced up, handsome thing!

Enjoy the Cozy,
Hugs
Hops

Twoapenny

« Reply #371 on: October 11, 2020, 04:37:58 AM »
They are pricey, Hops, I just love to buy them but very rarely buy new (or at all).  I did treat myself to a hardback copy of a book I'd been really looking forward to reading last month and this latest batch I bought from one of our lovely online second hand bookshops, so I got a good number for not too much cash.  I've not been able to read much for so many years now; physically, my brain just couldn't compute the information and I couldn't get past a page or two before it got too much.  Too many years of stress and exhaustion, I think, and endless hours of horribly boring legal and medical paperwork.  But the lockdown has really helped and that hardback is the first proper read I've done in years.  When I finally get the house re-organised and get myself a little bookcase (to double as a bedside table maybe) that book will have pride of place on it :) I can't get into ebooks; it just feels wrong to me to read off a screen.  I like to curl up with a book and actually hold it in my hand.  It feels like all the work and pleasure and research that went into it is there with you and I just don't get that off a screen.  My friend has a kindle and swears by it but they just don't do it for me.  I like audio books though.

Son is looking mighty fine, just shy of six feet now, hair longer and curly at the ends, lovely colour in his face from all the resting and relaxing (throughout college he looked exhausted most of the time) and he's so strong - we were messing about yesterday with me chucking him out of my room - only playing around but I was pushing on him to get him out the door and I couldn't budge him an inch.  Just so solid, it's amazing how much stronger men are physically even without working on it particularly, you know?  Fortunately he is a gentle giant and wouldn't hurt a fly but my days he's solid.

Twoapenny

« Reply #372 on: October 11, 2020, 01:23:07 PM »
Slight drop in the number of cases locally but they've spread out over more areas - all fairly localised (I'm guessing clusters are families or work colleagues?  As they seem to be close together?).  Part of me wants to not check the numbers, the other bit wants to know so it's a quick peek once a day and that's it!

Hopalong

« Reply #373 on: October 11, 2020, 06:40:11 PM »

Twoapenny

« Reply #374 on: October 12, 2020, 02:21:54 AM »
Ah it won't let me read more than the headline unless I subscribe :)  But I can imagine the content.  My sense here (of our situation) is that it's more to do with shambolic test and trace, asymptomatic carriers (which from private testing seem to be high in number.  One of the universities here tested every student and found hundreds had the virus but no symptoms.  Given that tests are often only being given to people with symptoms it makes me wonder how many people don't know).  Added to that the financial support is inadequate so people are working when they should be isolating, or they're not being contacted until quite a long time after the possible infection took place - two weeks is the most recent one I heard about.  I may be getting the wrong impression; I'm scanning limited amounts of reading just to get a gist but not to overwhelm myself.  I did see through the corner of my eye that Trump has declared himself immune?????????  Dear Lord.