Author Topic: Mindfulness and codependence thread  (Read 85682 times)

Twoapenny

• Becoming
Re: Mindfulness and codependence thread
« Reply #420 on: December 08, 2020, 12:56:03 PM »
God that sounds amazing, Lighter - especially the pets!  You have been working hard, as always.  It will be nice if all of that is done before Christmas.  The furniture sounds lovely as well xx

Hopalong

« Reply #421 on: December 08, 2020, 04:00:14 PM »
Lighter,
I'm staggered by your appetite for complex, challenging real estate projects. But sure you can do these and enjoy it a great deal all the while. When one can, thinking big must really be fun.

I think the fears and anxieties and complexities you have expressed over your island B&B left me my surprised by this latest venture.

But it's at least only two hours away! No boats or airplanes required. Hope it goes well and is overall joyful and satisfying for you, despite the inevitable detours and glitches.

Do I understand right that you inherited this property from your stepfather?

hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

lighter

« Reply #422 on: December 10, 2020, 12:26:36 PM »
Hops:

My father's farm/ lake property...not sf.

I have 2 sibs with big ideas for the place....bigger than me.  I was thinking more event Center with 4 bedrooms for a bride and besties.  Sister thinking airbnb with top floor separated from bottom floor with ability to open up.

My brother surprised me with hotel/ marina/ chapel/pool reception hall separate from house, which looks like a lodge.

The place needs to produce income or be sold.  That's a fact.

I'm not sure what form that takes, but we'll be discussing it over Christmas.

We packed, trucked and unloaded a 26' truck yesterday.....included 2 hours driving each way.  Movers returned truck and I stayed at the lake.

I'm headed to Home Depot for floor stripper, sheetrock mud and paint.  Carpet cleaner might show.  If I strip wax off brick pavers, his machine can steam them into like new condition.

I'm starving so will get a bite in town.

I realize....I have energy and the will to do this work.  It's bringing us closer....esp little brother.  Lots of processing taking place.  Getting to know each other...moving past old ideas of who we were to each other.

I'm feeling solid IN my body...at home.  Calm.  Safe.  Reactivity happens but it's easier to see and deal with.

I'm happy.  Kids are grown and smart and funny and emotionally intelligent.  I have zero regrets about raising them up as my priority.....would change very little.  Did my very best.  I forgive myself for the bobbles.

Youngest DD graduates this year.  I'm stepping into a new chapter...and it feels very mindful....very right.

Most walking is falling forward.  I don't feel that way.  This is kissing the earth, mindfully stepping meditation.

And I've been stretching and feeling happy in self care.  It's being present in the moment....I think.  A shift I'm sometimes aware of....but it's feeling more natural. 

I had guest scheduled into the island cottage, but they cancelled.....Covid timing seems to have shut that Airbnb plan down tight.  Will put it on the market and enjoy it as much as we can.  Maybe put a seawall in with my own hands....that would feel right, if I can figure it out.  I can hire trusted and very strong helpers.  Will see.  I feel like so many possibilities will open up....and I'll know what to choose.

Trusting myself....my instincts is where I live now.  I'm home: )

Miss you guys.  Will be back more often when the lake house and my home is in order.  I'm editing and simplifying.  It fwels like the river spirit scene from the movie Spirited Away.  All the junk and trapped stuff flowing out.

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #423 on: December 10, 2020, 10:36:45 PM »
This is beautiful, Lighter:

I realize....I have energy and the will to do this work.  It's bringing us closer....esp little brother.  Lots of processing taking place.  Getting to know each other...moving past old ideas of who we were to each other.

I'm feeling solid IN my body...at home.  Calm.  Safe.  Reactivity happens but it's easier to see and deal with.

I'm happy.

So glad to read it.
And I hope my temporary slowdown isn't contagious.
I still NEEEEEED and LOOOOOOOVE this Board and all within it.

hugs
Hops

lighter

« Reply #424 on: December 12, 2020, 01:34:48 PM »
Hops:

You do what you need to do....self care is good and right to prioritize.

It's ok. 

Lighter

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #425 on: December 12, 2020, 01:43:52 PM »
Reading your post about the work on the house, Lighter, options for the beach house, girls now women with their own lives, options, futures ahead of them - it feels like the work on you has coincided with them not needing you around so much and then tied in with the settling up of these estates/past lives/ family ties and so on.  It just reads like it's all kind of happened in the right way at the right time and in the right order?  It's lovely to read of you being in your own motion, trusting yourself, building better relationships with siblings and letting go of old habits and patterns, whilst watching girls spread their wings and flourish.  Wow.  What an amazing time and so lovely to read that so much is going on xx

lighter

« Reply #426 on: December 14, 2020, 08:13:29 AM »
Well, Hops....
I wonder how much IS being needed less NY children and making decisions on properties.  The island cottage is going on the market....
::shudder::
What fresh hell that will be.  Bahamas not user friendly.  Not at all.

I think it's less stress in me brain pan....at least likely. 

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #427 on: December 14, 2020, 09:27:47 AM »
Here's to less stress and no more shuddering, Lighter.
Hope it goes smoothly...or at least goes. Goes!

I love this line, Tupp, borrowing it:

being in your own motion

(Assonance makes everything better.)

hugs
Hops

lighter

« Reply #428 on: December 18, 2020, 03:22:02 PM »
I feel hung over from 3 days dealings a likely meth addict.  Tedious, boring work, but the first carpet cleaner stood me up 3 times.  My expectation to get house ready for Christmas got the better of me.

The bright spot is, I found 2 hard workers through the meth addict.  They clean the way I do. 

To clarify....I called a reputable company with good reviews.  The meth addict DD is answering her debilitated father's phone (owner operator who built the company for 35 years.) A catastrophic stroke put him in unexpected early retirement.  DD is opportunistic, with zero ability.  Really sad, truthfully, bc the older DD could run that business, but family punishing her being
gay.

Farm house coming along beautifully.  Furniture ready to be placed.  Brother has two new mattress boxsprings figured out.  So glad about that.

I've been wrapping little faux pine tree bases in burlap with old pillow stuffing....updated, very charming, imo.

Oldest DD has a baby grand piano at the farm.  I had it serviced and mostly it's in fine shape.  There was kid stuff keeping some hammers from striking, so better news than suspected.

If I can install 1 new toilet, paint 8 rooms, decorate for Christmas, place furniture and edit house another 5 or so hours....Ill be laughing; )

Lighter

Lighter

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #429 on: December 20, 2020, 08:16:41 AM »
It sounds like it's coming together, Lighter, albeit with a lot of hard work and dealing with many things along the way!  I'm sure it will be amazing once it's all finished.  Are you spending Christmas there or back at home again? xx

lighter

« Reply #430 on: December 20, 2020, 12:22:34 PM »
Christmas at home with my girls, Tupp.  Quiet.  Shopping for a little tree with youngest DD today.

Will travel to lake on 26th and bring the tree with.  Maybe find space and time to bake cookies and make caramels.  Not sure when, but it'll happen in its to.e.

Everything flowing lately.  I stopped fighting and just gave in to trusting.  When anxiety pops up, I put it back down and know I'll make the right choice if I honor myself.  I'm decluttering like crazy, cleaning, keeping things I love.  Will be harder to go through 3 generations of photos and things, but that's coming up.

It's a dance when other people are involved, I will say that.  Honoring myself, and skipping reactivity when dealing with otherss.  Honestly, it's exhilarating if I'm being honest.  Like I popped up above the clouds....or at the surface of the ocean, but UP above old patterns and habits.....they dropped away, are dropping away.

Really good stuff. 

Lighter
P.S.  Good music, black bag for throw a ways, clear bags for keepers....Im cleaning, editing and dancing in the zone, ladies!

« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 01:32:10 PM by lighter »

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #431 on: December 20, 2020, 01:50:59 PM »
Aw, it sounds lovely, LIghter.  I'm really glad you can still stay in the zone even while dealing with memories and the logistics of these big projects.  Quiet Christmases are awesome :)  Giving in to trust is amazing when it's been so hard (dangerous) to trust for so long.  I'm keeping fingers crossed that 2021 is going to be amazing for you :) xx

lighter

« Reply #432 on: January 01, 2021, 11:12:07 PM »
My sister invited Ohio cousins for Christmas.

Sister always invites them.

They came once, but always say NO since.

THIS year one cousin said yes, but no one thought they'd really show.

4 hours into their road trip they texted.

My youngest had a near panic attack, bc she was already struggling with Christmas gathering with my brother, sister and their families, but she made peace with those risks....no one wearing masks, not everyone tested.  Depending on the time of day I'm more or less concerned about the risks and real fear.

Long story short, DD needed Ohio cousins to go back home, and they did.  Their dd's mental health is a concern.....my youngest really struggles with Covid concerns and isolation, online learning, etc.  My cousin understood....I think her husband felt otherwise, which I get.  Of course, I do.  It was terrible.

My sister sent a text and I talked to cousin a minute later.  Cousin's husband texted my brother and brother verbally came at me in an angry way.  I asked him not to talk to me like that.

My brother walked out on Christmas the next morning, too upset to speak.  When I was figuring out meal plans and shopping, brother texted very upset...he was unable to be near me, my youngest DD or my sister. 

He texted I didn't know what I'd done, which was a reference to what he believes is my purposely raising dems. 

What I actually did was raise daughters capable of critical thinking, but what's really hurtful is my brother's disgust and refusal to hear my dds fear and voice.

It's, for brother, all tied into China and the dems unleashing the virus to stop Trump being elected, AND the election was stole, AND the truth will come out.

It's politics for him, and he's taken my dd's fear and turned it into a political statement, which it is not for her.

Brother said my DD and I should have left, so cousin could come, but my sister is staying after Christmas with me.....she would have had to go, and her DD and husband would have left too.....so my cousin could come.  Cousin had Covid, lots of people and friends have Covid now....it made no sense to me.

Still, my brother so upset.....
So upset....
His kids didn't get to see my niece, who drive in from Florida after taking a Covid test, or my oldest DD, who did nothing to him, or my BIL, who flew in from Canada....innicent btstanders in this.

So upset....seeing my face/youngestdd's face or my sister's, bc she texted didn't call my cousin, he boycotted Christmas and took his children with him.  No homemade pies and games with cousins.  No big traditional  turkey feast and cookie decorating.  All the " kids" are 18 or older, but still.....theres been so much trauma in all their lives....having a family Christmas in Granpa's clean lake house seemed so very important to me.

It feels like brother wanted to upset the innocents as much as punish and avoid the guilty parties.....feels like.

This was what my ASPD h would have labeled expanding his campaign of terrorism....involving the " innocents."

I'm not saying my brother did that on purpose.  I'm saying it feels familiar and my cousin and her husband are now triplemortified our family is fighting.  And we aren't really fighting.  It's texts....and unsaid " what I've done" that I'm not aware of......politics.

I'm doubly sad bc brother worked very hard, along with me, to get our father's house clean and ready for this joyful gathering.

And there was not.  I'm not even sure my BIL understands my brother is boycotting the family gathering....we cook, play games, chat, dance, watch old family movies and do our best to stay in the moment. But...there was supposed to be a big bonfire with my brother...fried turkey...more hunting for the boys....and my brother's presence, and that if his kids, is sometimes impossible to.....not notice.

And what does it mean?  Is he going NC for good? 

And...what would that mean?

Lighter

lighter

« Reply #433 on: January 01, 2021, 11:24:09 PM »
One of the things I've noticed.....is I'm really present with my girls when I'm with them in recent months.

I realize I'm taking my own advice to other single parents fending off rekentless PD attacks and violations through the years.  Learning that relaxing leads to terror and catching up in the PD game we have to play....while people around us wonder why we're so preoccupied and paranoid...we're simply standing watch, keeping guard....trying to make our children and selves, safe.

That's very sad for me, but what it was....is no longer.

Now, being present with my girls is what it was in 2005...safe and all I see when I'm with them.  All I feel.

The hyperawareness left in T sessions....filed away.  Finished.

And so.....life is....gratitude.  Lots of gratitude. And the ability to see things I lost sight of.

Like getting my peripheral vision back, it's just here.  I didn't notice how empty those spaces were bc my nose was against the glass.  A little distance provides perspective, but there's no regret at the loss...
Only gratitude for what I have now.

This us new....the absence of regret and anger, which is really sadness.

I'm not saying my nervous system is bullet proof now.  I'm saying it's able to identify reactivity and deal with it more quickly as I practice.

I'm saying I'm doing a lot of practicing lately.

Lighter

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #434 on: January 02, 2021, 05:24:55 AM »
I'm so sorry, Lighter, that all of that blew up and the lovely Christmas planning didn't go as well as was hoped.  I'm hoping that, given time, everyone calms down a bit and can start to see the others' point of view more.  No right or wrong, just people, stressed and anxious, for different reasons, at the end of a year that I think most have found to be challenging, to say the least.  I think unfortunately it's one of those times where going with the flow just doesn't work for everyone and possibly a bit of time and space for everyone now is what's needed.  Hopefully over time everyone will calm down a bit and conversations can be had (or not, depending on how it goes!).  And things will settle into place again.  I hope you were able to have a bit of a nice time even with all of that going on xx