Author Topic: Relationship/s  (Read 92684 times)

lighter

Re: Relationship/s
« Reply #915 on: October 13, 2021, 02:58:46 PM »
I just landed in Florida, Hops.  A good day to travel.
You're right....it will work out.

We're going to see lemurs and do yoga with bunnies.  I know you'll have a wonderful trip.  Is pooch with you?  I saw a lady with a Maltese in each arm at the airport.  Hands full!

Lighter

Hopalong

« Reply #916 on: October 13, 2021, 08:43:30 PM »
Nope, Pooch is home with her friendly dogsitter, my kind friend who's also in my Covenant Group. Plus she's a solid (and long) 20 lbs so I couldn't tote her for long in the crook o' my arm.

Yup, all will change and all will be well.

Speaking of Relationships, I'm renewing my fondness for this wacky group of UU women. We're all vaxxed and boosted-as-applicable and tested negative...so we're hanging out in this huge house mask free. HOPE it's safe but sure am enjoying it.

And the ocean view is right out front and absolutely gorgeous. With beach as far as the eye can see we've spotted about 3 people. Sooooo lovely. I'm happy to be here!

hugs
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

lighter

« Reply #917 on: October 14, 2021, 09:10:58 AM »
I'm staying with my niece and her bf in 90degree still Florida.  We ate Thai outdoors last night.....beautiful and breezy with bats flying about...I can't take the heat of the day, or....I don't want to anymore. 

I'm glad you're enjoying face to face fellowship In a group again.  Soak it up and keep updating. 

Sometimes we think an it flying with the pug, but she's 5 lbs bigger than your pooch!  Chubby pug!

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #918 on: October 14, 2021, 12:22:40 PM »
Which beach did y'all go to Hops?
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

Hopalong

« Reply #919 on: October 14, 2021, 12:24:08 PM »
I'll PM with info.

hugs
Hops

Hopalong

« Reply #920 on: October 16, 2021, 01:06:30 PM »
Beach gathering was 90% delightful, even with 10 women so different from each other. Long tradition in this group of ridiculous sarcastic banter which I adore hearing (rapid fire, too). I love listening to them get into it while they play cards. I don't enjoy cards so just hang out and it is FUN.

Bed wasn't comfy but, feh, rentals. One incident was tough but I feel okay about the aftermath. One woman there who knows my D story well has her own...she lost her beloved girl to suicide four-five years ago. She absolutely cracked with anguish and I was among those who supported her and listened during the peak of it. Reached out to her several times since and enjoyed our emailing. Anyway, she'd moved away right after her loss but comes back for the annual beach thing. She is VERY bright and verbal...kind of free-associates long detailed stories that are very entertaining and interesting, although the never-pause delivery can be wearing. I have always liked her (maybe with a little wariness) and really looked forward to seeing her again. She's closer to several others in the group, long term.

For some reason being with all of us from her old community must have stirred up fresh unhappiness (she hasn't yet really found her tribe in NC and perhaps moved away from her support system too soon) and discontent, on top of all the reminders of the people around her when it happened (her D had been hospitalized in Germany and on a daypass jumped to her death). Absolutely ghastly for friend, who sobbed all the way across the Atlantic in the arms of kind flight attendants.

Long story shorter: I wasn't saying anything at all at that moment as a group conversation was going, with friend talking a good deal about how hard that year had been, with her characteristic great intensity. I was just listening and nodding with empathy (and feeling it) like everyone else. After somebody said, "Raise your hand if you were a perfect mother" and one woman did as a joke and the rest of us including me just kept listening, she suddenly turned and looked over at me and said nastily: "Well we ALL know YOU screwed up as a parent!" Out of the blue.

I was dumbstruck. I heard later a few others were too. I let it pass instantly, feeling that she was projecting out of the intense feelings of chaos and anguish she was trying to cope with in that moment. But it did shock me and hurt. A little later I said gently, "I don't think I screwed up as a parent, though I made plenty of mistakes. It's a little hard to predict mental illness or what it can do." And then the moment passed. (Another woman told me later I handled it with grace, so whew.)

I forgave her instantly but also recognized that I probably won't be able to relax or let down my guard around her again. Words really can wound if you go for the most vulnerable place. I don't think she planned it or realized how hurtful a thing it'd be to say to me, because her own pain is so acute she cannot see outside. I really do understand that and feel very badly for her. Still, being in a group of women (always a tiptoe thing for me because of the early-life girl-bullies stuff) it was a bummer to have to negotiate that particular moment.

I did though. And I think pretty well. I still look forward to going again next year. It's definitely a good laboratory for me to work on how much to assert in groups of women, when to let stuff go, and just observe the group dynamic in them and how I interact with it myself. (For some reason I'm bulletproof with men in groups--I think because I truly do not care about their approval. I'm more vulnerable with women.)

On this annual trip there's enough silliness and lively interesting talk and the sense of all of us belonging to a larger thing (the local UU community) that makes it worthwhile and eases my isolation. I'm happy I got a spot and will be saving up every month to be able to go next time -- for a whole week.

In a way it made me feel like I had my church family back. I'm grateful, I need these people and most of them like and a few love me. That's a nice thing! I learn a lot more about them and myself every time I'm around them, and this visit I got closer to a couple. Really glad about that.

hugs
Hops
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 07:32:44 PM by Hopalong »

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #921 on: October 17, 2021, 04:55:03 AM »
I'm sorry she did that, Hopsie, what a nasty and unnecessary thing to say.  And how fortunate for her that you didn't retaliate - you could have destroyed her but chose not to.  I hope at some point she realises that and offers some kind of apology.  I suspect (with my amateur psychologist head on) that she feels her daughter's suicide was her fault and that she screwed up as a parent, and shoved that out in your direction.  Very unfair.  I'm glad the rest of the trip was good though, and that you can go again next year xx

sKePTiKal

« Reply #922 on: October 17, 2021, 10:04:12 AM »
I think life (and people) bring these experiences to us to teach us that none of us get to live without conflict or risk - much as we think we'd like to, it's not really good for us. We are designed to work for and create what we want/need. And fight for our selves, too. To create our own safety.

No matter what is going on outside of us.

Hopalong

« Reply #923 on: October 17, 2021, 01:39:12 PM »
Thanks, Tupp.
I think you're right that it was pure projection.

It's even occurred to me that in her own unique way (in good times even, she relates stories her with a sarcastic edge and laughs at the awfulness of people) -- perhaps her subconscious tossed out that remark as a kind of id-y way to express some sort of bonding with me? I dunno. FELT like a lashing-out, but psyches are complicated.

Surely she knew how deeply I empathized. Her D had the same illness mine does. Hers was just less controlled and defeated her in the end. My D could meet the same fate, and friend knew how much I resonated with her. We had talked about it quite a bit on a few occasions.

Or it may have been a lashing-out because in her mind, it's not fair that my D (with same mental illness) still lives and hers didn't survive. Unconscious, all of it, I think.

Doesn't matter. I'm not angry. Wary, but I don't know how one could not forgive something ugly erupting out of a mother who's experienced nature's ugliest loss.

hugs
Hops

Hopalong

« Reply #924 on: October 17, 2021, 01:41:17 PM »
I like that, Amber. Extremely helpful for me to ponder this on many levels and about many circumstances.

We are designed to work for and create what we want/need. And fight for our selves, too. To create our own safety.

Thank you. Mucho.

hugs
Hops

Hopalong

« Reply #925 on: October 23, 2021, 01:49:54 PM »
Back to the more fun side of relationships (at least in early days): Men!

Date #2 with Scot yesterday went really well. I'd suggested my favorite open-air (open-sided tent) restaurant which is a combo of good food and relaxed, upretentious atmosphere (often hard to find here). He really liked being there and patted Pooch the whole time.

Talk was easier, and enjoyable (such an interesting life -- he's still consulting with the last big foundation as person in charge of theater grants, so four times/year he's up to his eyebrows in scripts from new playwrights). He still does a bit of foreign relations advising in DC too but I don't know what form or frequency.

But he didn't talk in that pompous way about himself I'm so used to, LOL. He just talked and I did too and he listened pretty well. I said that I have no family "in my life" and he didn't ask further questions, which was a relief. I'll get around to telling him about my D but it's nice to be slower about the gut-spilling. He has two sons (one, with 4 y/o grand-D, lives here w/his family) and one still in the U.K. I think.
I kind of liked it that family was in proportion in his conversation since a lot of people my age I meet talk only about that. He's had a broad and very interesting life and remarkable friends so I think it'd be lovely if it goes further. As of now.

One revelation that I am sitting with is that while I had a beer I noticed he didn't so I just asked (I am direct about stuff but in a kind voice): I see you're not drinking, does that mean you're teetotalling or sober? He said yes and that when his wife of 45 years died suddenly 5 years ago he went completely off the rails and realized within six months that he'd become full-blown alcoholic, went to rehab and joined AA and has been sober for the last 4 and a half years. I just said good for you! We talked about it generally and he seemed quite comfortable owning it. Even mentioned the cultural thing (Scotsmen drink too much in the first place) and he said it was funny but a TV show about a pathologist turned out to be very helpful, made him think more about what the alcohol was doing to his body.

I think he's fought his way back to life after horrific shock and grief he wasn't prepared for. I also brought up how boys are socialized: macho, invulnerable, stoic and he was nodding away, which I found encouraging. Told him my obsessions include culture and how people are formed, inner layers etc.

Afterward he dropped me at my car (his was reassuringly full of dog hair) and said we'll get together again. His emails are about 10 words long and so far he hasn't called, but he's got a stack of scripts to do for his consulting thing.

I'm going to remain mindful of what poet friend said: careful and guarded, but once into you, they're rocks. I kind of hope he WILL become "into" me, but it may be that he's looking for friendship only. I wouldn't turn that down but need to be cautious, as I'm already feeling excitement about him (not just wait-and-see energy, which is the one I need to tap into.)

I need y'all's encouragement to keep my foot calmly on the brakes, pleeeez. But so far so good and I'm pleased about this. Still DEFINITELY need to consider myself in info-gathering and slow and cautious mode. I have no way of knowing whether he's dating others or whatever might be the case, since I haven't asked.

Maybe our next encounter would be a time to ask a little more directly what he's searching for (why he was online). His first message only said: I never thought I'd be looking for anything other than simple companionship now. Interesting, as it left unspoken what he IS looking for.

Me, same old same old. I want it all, the full commitment, enchilda, shared life and even the ceremony. Not saying that's with Scot, way too early, but my overall reason for dating now hasn't changed. (M played unaware but I'd told him explicitly from the get-go. He just wasN't caring enough to weigh his impact on my dream.) Hopefully, the Scot will handle my heart with care and that I will know better than to hand it over too soon.

Happy about this despite the necessity of risk and vulnerability. Me, big girl now.

hugs
Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #926 on: October 23, 2021, 04:20:12 PM »
Eh, sounds like you're doing a good enough job restraining yourself on your own Hops. You like him, he likes you... and it's OK for now, if ya both date some other people. Maybe you could propose a date in his stomping grounds, if it's not too far away?

Hopalong

« Reply #927 on: October 23, 2021, 06:45:39 PM »
Thanks, Amber.
He lives about a mile away and the easy place to meet is downtown or near there.
I'll find out if he'll invite me to something else (he did mention he loves to cook).

I'm just going to wait to hear from him once he climbs out of his plays-reviews pile. Could invite him to my house but for some reason, I'd rather wait until he unpeels a bit himself. I find it intense to invite someone to my home so try to time that.

Basically, since I'm already visibly enthusiastic (or more extroverted), I wanna wait to risk more vulnerability.

I'm okay dating others too but there's no action on the website at the mo'. I have paused actively looking and just wait until somebody's motivated to write me an actual message rather than a click-automated one.

It's all good. Happy to hear you see me as functioning pretty well with it. So far.

:)
Hops

Hopalong

« Reply #928 on: October 24, 2021, 02:09:30 PM »
Sigh.
The Scot wrote me a very ethical and admirable message explaining that I have been the only person he's contacted or seen from the dating site, and he's realized that after his 45-yr happy marriage he's just better off being alone, though he'd like to be friends ("nothing structured").

I thanked him for his honesty and told him only he knows what's best for him. Also, began my reply saying "Oh gosh, I knew I was transparently over-enthusiastic." Told him I've been alone too long and would like that to change but am grateful that he was so honest. And okay, I'll be his friend.

We'll see if he actually responds or offers actual friendship. I'm sad about it but MUCH MUCH prefer an honest, ethical man saying "I'm not able to do this" rather than stringing me alone with fairy tales.

I am sad. This will pass. Back in the saddle.

hugs
Hops

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #929 on: October 24, 2021, 03:04:31 PM »
I'm sorry, Hopsie.  It is good he's been so honest but it's still a disappointment, I know.  I will continue to keep all things crossed that Mr Hops is tap dancing his way to you somehow.  I get endlessly frustrated with things that can't be controlled (like people! Lol).  I hope you are okay xx