Author Topic: Relationship/s  (Read 96094 times)

Hopalong

Re: Relationship
« Reply #435 on: May 24, 2020, 12:55:27 PM »
Wow.
When I got to the Board today and read these I just felt overwhelmed with gratitude.
Seriously.
It is flippin' AMAZING that you all are here, like a daily resource of support, wisdom, thoughtfulness and company.

Absolutely incredible (thanks again Doc G) and I am incredibly GRATEFUL.

That said, I'm going to read other threads and take in some more caffeine before I get back to this. Don't wanna give M-analysis much time today if I can help it.

Hugs, big ones--
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

Hopalong

« Reply #436 on: May 24, 2020, 02:31:31 PM »
Thanks, Tupp. Your comment about the spectrum reminded me to consider also that M may have some degree of neuro-atypical something. It's never a bright line kind of thing and certainly no diagnosis, but it does fit with some of his behaviors: the compulsive talking, fiddly restless hands, hyper behavior, addiction (food) and obsessiveness about his routines and ways of doing things. I mean, why wouldn't there be "co-morbidity" as there so often is with various things? ADD, OCD, selective deafness? I'm sure I'm a pile of them: ADD, mood swings, sleep disorders, periodic depression, blah and blah.

All of those I think are not so terribly severe as to mean I can't adapt. Literally politely walking off is likely the best way, in case I can't get through verbally.

As to the domination when under stress, I dunno. I don't expect him to be perfect and he's a lot more pleasant to be with than other men I've loved. But that trait is one I do not want to have to deal with in an ongoing way, especially when I'm feeling vulnerable. It's infrequent, but of a piece with unaware entitlement that his upbringing marinated him in. We had a deeper than usual talk yesterday. At one point, I said to him (judgement-free): you are elitist, and he said yes, I am. He didn't take it as an insult but as an observation and wasn't offended. He's too intelligent not to realize that the way he was raised and trained to view the world, and the rarified gilded ivory tower he lives in, hasn't had that effect.

On the other hand, M is very very smart and at times when we talk either alone or in T about deeper stuff, meaning nuances (if not emotional ones), I can see his eyes light up with interest, and sense his wheels are turning. I also notice some changes in his behavior at times that feel as though they came from him trying to learn. I honestly think he writes so much (as do I) that it was a big mistake to bring it all up with him BY EMAIL. I am just as sensitive to the written word as he is, and no matter how much I tried to cushion the observation ("these episodes contained dominance") with love and compassion, I think he still felt defensive. I can't blame him for that. We've both got to learn to connect and communicate in the real and from the heart. In fact, what I interpret as dominance might be partly that, but even more, compulsion. That's easier to forgive. Dominance hits me in some primitive and threatened place, and I don't like visiting there.

More practice, assertion and boundaries, might actually work well in the long run.

Lighter, you're so astute and it IS a lot of work. Time will tell whether it's been worth it. Generally as long as I'm learning and not too anxious, it is so far. But thanks for asking illuminating questions:

Rhetorical question.... when you feel into your body...... do you feel M understands T, how he's the student... how you're both working on changes to bring you together in harmony?

I know that now and then in T, the Sikh reminds M that he wants M to get more of what he wants: more trust from me, and a happier relationship. M usually seems to take that in with trust in the Sikh. He said once recently when we were getting intense (usually our T-dialogue is pretty friendly): The most important thing to me is to show you how not to hurt each other.

Or do you have the feeling he's engaged bc he's interested in himself....happy to spend time with you as a couple's activity, rather than getting down to nitty gritty work?
I know he started T because I made it clear I thought he needed it individually (told him he HAD to learn to manage his own anxiety) and later that we needed it together. His reaction to something I clearly state I want or need that will move our relationship forward is to say Yes. (I think he sensed in both decisions that if he refused he would likely lose me.) He isn't always receptive in individual difficult moments, but overall he seems entirely willing to hang in with therapy. I think he downgraded it a bit in his response to that big email only because something might have hurt. His ego has a tough time letting in less-pleasant information about himself. Mine too.

But I also think some of it is interest in himself and "couple's activity" -- he has from the start wanted more connection and certainty of commitment than I have been ready for. So, I think he sees it as a necessary step to get what he wants.

Noticing my face, eyes and responding to present emotional information from me (much less verbal) is something the T has begun to raise with M. Plus, asking me questions. I don't yet know whether it's neuro-psycho-bio stuff that makes it difficult for him. Don't really care, honestly.

My general hope is that the effect of T over time will be to make him a bit more flexible and a bit more curious, about himself and the human element in everything. More aware of how his behaviors affect me, and more practiced in tweaking them. The relief with the Sikh is that he can help carry the weight of the hard work; I'm not alone in it any more.

If he's at permanent-Popeye ("I yam what I yam") and either unable or uninterested in stretching his knowledge base, then my interest in deeper commitment or marriage may wear away. And despite my security needs, I might be better off letting that happen. I don't have to decide now and I'm glad of that.

We're each trying hard in our old-fart ways. He started fantasizing about renewing travel again, mentioning this European city or that one, and I thought, I'm so glad we can't do that for a while. And I will not go, unless I'm feeling very confident about where we are. He's both stimulated and soothed by the intense distractions of travel and its reassuring luxuries, and though I enjoy those too, I need way less than he does. Quarantine is a good teacher.

This is too long. Gonna reply to myself to break it up. :)

grateful hugs,
Hops

Hopalong

« Reply #437 on: May 24, 2020, 02:43:01 PM »
Amber, thank you.

I think you're right that he thinks pedantic holding forth is sharing; and also very right about how socialization about emotional realities is practically nil in our immature culture. That's huge and impacts everything.

I guess one reason I'm here on the Board is that even within our toxic, selfish culture, I felt as though my childhood, N-mother, broken marriages and bad relationships were all worse than life HAD to be. IOW, if I can keep my mind open and my assertion/boundaries in play (and get more comfortable with those), I think life could be pretty happy. And by my measure so far, this is actually a pretty happy relationship, believe it or not.

I'm brittle. Very scared of toxic masculinity even in elegant, high-flown forms. Yet I continue to think I'm also accurately perceiving that M is a good person, someone who wrestles with ethics and questions of power. He questions the former way more than the latter...so maybe if I can be a vehicle for him to learn something, it'd be about power. Still I see his sweetness and his human vulnerability (his kids, my dog, his students).

But I also (today, these posts, are evidence) don't want to do the thing CB described -- siphon off my energy for my own life and dreams and development into over-analysing HIM and thus doing the emotional labor that is HIS. I think that's part of what got me down yesterday. I'd done this deep dive and heaved over a lot of boulders to understand something key, and he just saw bugs under the rock and it spooked him. If I'm patient and wait to hear what he says about it in T, things might be better than I've been assuming.

I won't write him off yet. The beauty of T is that I know his mind is active enough that he won't be able to completely block out that he's gotten some new information. And I'm also convinced he DOES respect me, and senses my higher EQ, and is drawn to somebody who has an effect on what is really pretty unbalanced in his life. (T told him he lived in his frontal lobes and there's a whole
'nother part of the brain to explore...) All I need to do is take care of MYSELF in the context of us, and wait to see how he shows change and intention, or doesn't.

Whew. This must have been so tedious and over-detailed to wade through, and I'm sorry I write at such length. Hazard of the hobby, but it's a lot for you guys to read.

I am really profoundly grateful that you do. Thank you for the thinking.

hugs
Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #438 on: May 25, 2020, 08:44:24 AM »
It's OK how much you write Hops. Really - even when it's long. It's because there's so much CONTENT in it - and all the nuances too. You are very much a real person on the page, at least to me - your authenticity comes across. That's  appreciated a LOT.

I know what you mean about doing the heavy-lifting in the analysis dept when it's his own work. There's been a lot of that around here lately and it's not that useful or healthy - even though sometimes we do have to take stock, holistically. That's over for now, for me.

Sigh... relationships at this age, are no less fraught with all the unknowns and uncertainties than they were in our 20s or 30s. But what is different is US. Most of us have ourselves a lot more sorted out; we know our strengths & weaknesses - and are more fluent in that emotional "thinking" now. Finding the inner confidence to intrepidly wade through whatever the "next thing" in our lives is... is also useful, and not to be confused with the cockiness that comes from ego-status.

This sounds like a good journey you're on with M. No matter what the outcome turns out to be.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

Hopalong

« Reply #439 on: May 25, 2020, 09:45:43 AM »
Thanks, Amber. I appreciate this.

And it partially answers my queries to you on Farm Life.

Forgive if I overstep there....

hugs
Hops

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #440 on: May 27, 2020, 04:56:01 AM »
Hopsie, I don't find your posts tedious or over detailed; quite the opposite.  You always write very clearly and explain your thought processes so well.  I always enjoy reading them.

I do think it's difficult if you're in a relationship with someone who has a condition of some sort, whatever it may be, to disentangle the 'condition' behaviour - stuff that they genuinely can't do much about because of the way that they're wired - from the 'arsehole' behaviour - stuff that they can deal with but it may get swept up with the genuine stuff as being their 'thing'.  As a very brief example from my own past, I had a boyfriend - who I loved very much - who suffered from depression.  And as a result, didn't go to work much, didn't pay bills very often, rarely cleaned the house, sometimes stayed in bed for days and often burst into tears if I raised any of these problems with him.  Eventually we broke up; it was my house so he moved out - and within a fortnight had got a job, sorted out a new flat and was out with his friends several nights a week.  He had suffered from depression, that was very evident - but it was also apparent that it suited him to let me carry the weight of all the 'boring but necessary' stuff that goes with living together.  It's a hard line to tread, particularly for someone like yourself who is so sensitive and compassionate to other people's needs.  So I think you're on the right path when you talk about focusing on your own boundaries and being able to walk away if/when necessary.

I did read a very good book years ago:  "Sensory Perceptual Differences in Autism and Asperger".  The author is Olga Bogdashina; she's a doctor with two autistic children, I think.  I found it so helpful in understanding my own son's sensory experiences and it helped me figure out when he genuinely can't do something and when he doesn't want to (and sometimes him not wanting to is fine, I just like to know which is which).  I only mention it as you casting your eye over it might make some things make a bit more sense.  Things that you mentioned in another post about not noticing facial expressions, I think it was, or picking up on non verbal cues are also things that aren't a possibility with some autistic people; the wiring in the brain needed for those things is different (I seem to remember a study where they were able to track where people were looking when engaged in a conversation with someone they cared about.  The autistic and non-autistic people looked in completely different places - all looked at the face but the brain was focusing on different parts so some of the facial expressions that non-autistics picked up didn't register, whereas the autistic people noticed some things the non-autistics didn't.  Not better or worse, just different).  Anyway, I just thought I would mention it in case you need something else to read while you're isolating :) 

I hope you are able to find a path through it all.  Nothing comes easily, it seems!  Lol xx

Hopalong

« Reply #441 on: May 27, 2020, 12:51:06 PM »
Thanks, Tupp! That's a really interesting train of thought.

I've often thought there's something off about his perception (trouble with eye contact, difficulty focusing on a speaker, etc). It's hard to imagine someone SO gregarious not being good at "social cues" but I think he's really not. Interesting.

Yesterday he and my good friend, the poet, both came over and both had said they were STARVED for social contact. We did one of the sit-eight-feet-apart wine chats and it was a lot of fun. They're both story tellers. One thing I noticed was that as she was talking (she's much more halting in her speech but very intelligent and interesting, with an academic family and similar cross-cultural dislocation to M's) -- he was literally TWITCHING (physically) to break in.

He managed to be courteous but still talked 80% of the time. His stories were fun and fascinating and she clearly enjoyed listening to him. But I know her well and know she observed in person the pattern of talk-dominance I'd vented to her about. She wasn't angered by it but surely spotted it. I made the choice to not even try to tell stories of my own, and I also enjoyed his.

The literal twitching and his body nearly jumping in the chair to interrupt were just so visible to me. I would occasionally gently lean toward her and ask a followup question, and M seemed to catch the hint and subside for a moment.

All in all a pleasant time, and also very illustrative.

Thanks for the book suggestion, too.

hugs
Hops

Twoapenny

• Becoming
« Reply #442 on: May 28, 2020, 12:05:47 PM »
It's all a continuum, isn't it?  I used to have a friend, nice lady, but talking to her was exhausting because I wouldn't even be half way through my sentence when she'd be jumping in, either telling me what to do (if it were a problem) or starting in with a similar story of her own.  She literally didn't seem to be able to wait until I'd finished speaking before she spoke and as a result the conversations were very jarred - I'd say my half sentence, she'd jump in ("you need to call x department about that"), I'd say, "yes, I've called x department and they said......." and again before I'd finished speaking she'd jump in to tell me what they should have said and we just never got anywhere.  It's tiring.  It's interesting that it's a physical movement for him to jump in and that you can actually see that happening.

There is another aspect of autism called masking (I'm just chucking these things in as food for thought, not to say I think this applies to M or that you should ignore anything he's doing).  Some autistics can cover the fact they don't pick up on the social cues, facial expressions, turn taking in conversations and so on because they can mimic other people's actions (I think I've done it most of my life).  And it's exhausting and can lead to meltdowns, depression, burn out and so on.

I think, in the nicest way, that whether M's problematic aspects are due to some neurology that he has no control over or not, the key thing is what you are happy with.  Someone I know is with a man who drives her mad and she wanted him assessed for autism because she said if he is autistic she'd be able to tolerate him better.  I just found the idea of 'tolerating' your life partner the sadness thing I'd ever heard.  Putting up with some bad habits, yes, we've all got those, but 'tolerating' being the best she could hope for was heartbreaking to hear.

And slightly on that note - I did want to ask a question just because I noticed you said that you "made the choice to not even try to tell stories of my own".  I mean this question in a kind way, Hopsie, but did you not want to tell stories or was it just to difficult or exhausting to try to get yourself into the conversation? xx

sKePTiKal

« Reply #443 on: May 28, 2020, 12:28:43 PM »
Hmmmm. Possibly irrelevant thought:

due to the asyncronous nature of texting, email, posting online - it doesn't matter if one waits their turn to speak or not. One can simply get things off their minds.

Of course, even in this communication environment - misunderstandings and lack of context occurs because people don't wait their turn (or read everything, maybe more than once to understand) before posting.

Just a fleeting thought that may or may not apply.

Hopalong

« Reply #444 on: June 16, 2020, 07:41:03 AM »
This is an interesting commentary, dunno why I didn't dig in. Thanks to you both.

At one point I found that emailing (at its peak) was a big danger zone for me, in relationships. It still is. For example, I recently explained I needed to withdraw from communication, email or phone, for a day to think and write and M still couldn't resist punching through with an email and a pretext--so I called him on it very gently, in T. He had replied "Understood" but later poked the boundary anyway (in a very minor way compared to how he used to). After that all passed we were having dinner last night and he says, "I think you're *catatonic sometimes". I later wrote him (email!) that that word landed wrong, and he wrote back the classic non-apology apology: "I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way, it was hyperbole of course" which by using blaming language rendered it a non-apology. So I've just written him back to explain that.

All to say, it would have been better to tell him how I felt in person because email often makes conflict or disagreement creepy. Or makes it escalate. Sometimes in certain moods or about certain subjects for me, the computer feels radioactive.

It's not a big fight or anything. Just noticing... M does have a difficult time apologizing. When I am around someone who can simply and sincerely say, I'm sorry, I know I'm with someone who's does real interior growth and gets it. People who can't often are shame-driven but may not know it.

*He was referring to a long explanation I'd given, before my retreat and again in T, about why I need those times sometimes, to get into a deep stillness/silence to think or write. The deeper layer, I think, is that it triggers his abandonment stuff and he doesn't really want to focus there.

hugs
Hops
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 07:48:06 AM by Hopalong »

Meh

« Reply #445 on: June 18, 2020, 03:53:11 PM »
due to the asyncronous nature of texting, email, posting online - it doesn't matter if one waits their turn to speak or not. One can simply get things off their minds.

I don't wait my turn when on Skype with or text with others, one never knows if a person will be gone for 5 minutes or away for 30 minutes, time can seem irrelevant though I would say some people actually try to have conversations on chat. Then again some people tend to do it out of boredom and I'm not sure if that is always the best way to interact with people. But maybe boredom is just a bad word for down-time.

Meh

« Reply #446 on: June 18, 2020, 03:54:48 PM »
Wow Catatonic sometimes is a strong statement. I guess he is frustrated and needs more attention.

Hopalong

« Reply #447 on: June 18, 2020, 05:40:08 PM »
I think he'd be happy with 24/7 attention, unless he's scholaring.
I ain't giving it.

We had a pretty calm talk about it, and I got to explain there were two sides to why that remark stung. One is that the "deep retreat" I can get into has two sides that feel vulnerable;

Side One: It is the kind of near-trance stillness that sometimes produces my best writing and thus I feel very protective of it. Always had that need, always will. Margaret Atwood says: There's no such thing as writer's block, there are interruptions from other people.

Side Two: It is also on the surface just the same stillness as my depressive withdrawal into non-functional sedentaritude. I don't need a highly-executive personality yapping around my ankles with TIPS on ADD or such, I'm working on it in therapy.

And sometimes I can't tell the difference. But I'm glad he heard me out last night and seemed to be respectful of me. I was defending my important boundaries but without hostility (or sarcasm, like here...).

Hops

sKePTiKal

« Reply #448 on: June 20, 2020, 11:24:19 AM »
I am just coming up for air Hops. Buck left yesterday and then I spent all day with Hol in hospital; she fell - onto one of the rocks around here and broke 4 ribs. Up late last night for required me time - and that retreat you speak of.

I just wanted to share how I frame my own version of the "retreat". Maybe there's something useful in it?

Side one - is well-known to me. It's my painter's trance; where I'm able to become "one with the void"; enter the zone. It's a necessary balance point for me - because of how busy my mind is.

Side two - is necessary for me, because I have such "melty, fusible" physical perceptions and it's very very easy to establish a sort of Vulcan MindMeld in situations with others - on those non-verbal levels. Problem IS, of course, the inescapable imposition of my own interpretation on others. I usually have to pull back, re-establish my skin location and ordinary "personal space" (or distancing)... and then engage brain & mouth to query the other person about the accuracy or validity of my other perceptions. Otherwise I'm PRESUMING and ASSUMING way too much.

I'm told this is a problem for some empaths - not that I claim that label. Definitely have that tendency and some aptitude. But I'm more like a loose cannon that depends on luck and synchronicity... than any kind of intentional, directed force.

Anyhoo... that's my framework for what sounds similar. Chuck it, ponder... whatever.
Hugs. I guess there's always more dance steps to learn.  :D

Hopalong

« Reply #449 on: June 20, 2020, 03:46:46 PM »
Amber, thank you.
It was so comforting to read your depiction of the artist's necessary trance (quite like a poet's), and its flip side...which is really just an individual PERSON's necessary solitude periods. You get it, so well.

Makes me mindful to recognize that underneath it all, I am also a weird kind of introvert. Just another kind of person who needs to tend to her separate self.

I'll respond about Hol's injuries (!!!!!!!) over on Farm Life.

hugs
Hops